• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
If they let me replace Siri with the Google Assistant I'd seriously consider jumping to iOS with how lackluster Google's latest Pixels have been.
A friend of mine recently switched to an iPhone after years of Android and has complained about this. Apparently you can say, "Hey Siri; Okay, Google" to launch it, which is not stupid at all. lol

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Are you on the latest version of iOS? The only apps that you can't delete are clock, photos, camera, and Safari. Everything else can be deleted.
I am. I've been so beaten down by Apple in this regard that I didn't realize they had changed it on the newest version. Thanks for the tip. Got my 'Apple Garbage' folder on my iPad down to six things (your list, plus Find My and Messages).

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
They should do it. Compete with apps on quality.

microsoft lost the anti trust lawsuit because of internet explorer.

apple should let you choose a different mail and browser as default in iOS.

on the other hand I wouldn't use a different browser over mobile unless they let me use third party extensions.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's about 10 years late, but whatever, better now than never.

I wonder if this decision is informed by the likelihood of legal action taken against them. Microsoft lost the largest anti-trust suit in tech history for a far less innocuous practice ~10 years ago. I've never really understood how Apple has skirted by with this. I think part of it is because the price tag of their products has contributed to a much more balanced market share, where Microsoft aggressively priced PCs to capture market share against competitors, so they had a greater legal liability for unethical or anti-competitive business practices. There is a curious affect of this, though, that the only time you see ardent Apple boosters or Apple themselves talk about Apple's negative market share is when they're defending the company against anti-trust allegations. Like, you'll never see an Apple fanboy or Apple themselves brag about Apple's lackluster global or regional marketshare ...... unless they're being criticized for anti-competitive behavior, and then it's like "Ohhh! No! Anti-trust doesn't apply to Apple because, don't you know, Android dominates Apple in market share?"

On top of the app lockdown on iOS, Apple has not invested in their core apps. Safari, in particular, has no development effort keeping it up to date with web standards, security essentials, or anything that anybody should expect from a modern browser. FireFox, Chrome, and the half dozen small or niche browsers, get hundreds of updates a year, all the time, effortlessly in the background, keeping them up to date with new web technology and secure against exploits. Safari gets almost no updates, has fallen woefully behind contemporary web standards and support, and essential updates are often packaged along with major Operating system updates, which are invasive, disruptive, and often avoided for days, weeks, or months at a time. People rightfully criticize Android fragmentation for the core operating system, where 3rd party modifications to Android from Samsung or others mean that updates often take months or years to roll out to all users... It's an annoying problem with Android, but it's less invasive because applications like Chrome can update on their own and have used this model ... for ever. Apple has recently allowed core applications to update on their own independent of the OS, but it still hasn't been widely used as it takes a long time to change a decade+ worth of development tradition (if you've ever worked at a software company that went from monolithic yearly releases to weekly or daily releases, you know how long this takes... Years, sometimes decades, and some groups will still always lag behind).

There's a saying in the web development community that "Safari is the New Internet Explorer" (and please don't @ me with that bogus fucking Verge article from a year ago saying Chrome is the new IE6, it was a nonsense piece that contradicted itself. I demolished that article in another thread about Chrome and will do it again but don't want to have to). If you're a developer developing applications in a compliant, standards-based way, you're guaranteed to get the most headaches from Safari, which is a continually finding itself a generation behind other competing browsers in support and implementation of basic web technology... And like IE, because it's the default, pre-installed browser on hundreds of millions of devices, you have to support it. It costs money, takes effort, reinforces bad development habits, and forces you to do the same shit you've been doing for a decade+ with Internet Explorer.... coming up with hacks and work-arounds that make your applications less secure, more brittle, and hurt future proofing.

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I might like the new Outlook app even more than the Gmail app. But same principle, years ahead. I work IT in an Office 365 environment at a small business and regularly tell people that they should just use the Outlook app instead of the default Mail app haha
I think I am about to try the Outlook app for work emails.

The default app has been shit on my iPhone 8 since the last update. Fucking glitches all the time and I have to keep quitting and reopening it to get it to show new emails.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
The fact that they've been allowed to not do this for so long is infuriating.

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably because the EU is breathing down their back but this needs to happen. It's just a small step though. They also need alternate browser rendering engines and 3rd party app stores.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't mean much when it comes to the browser, because Apple doesn't allow other browsers on iOS. All they allow are programs that reskin Safari - all web data downloading/uploading and rendering are done internally by Safari, other "browsers" are just different interfaces.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer if they separated apps from the OS even more, only getting new app features and bug fixes when they update the OS is stupid.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I think I am about to try the Outlook app for work emails.

The default app has been shit on my iPhone 8 since the last update. Fucking glitches all the time and I have to keep quitting and reopening it to get it to show new emails.

100%, every iOS update seems to break notifications syncing between Mail App and Office 365 too. Many modern Outlook add-ins support the iOS and Android apps too, it's great!

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Not being able to choose a default browser and not being able to use iMessage on Windows are two of the biggest reasons I regret switching from Android.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of default apps is why I left iOS. If this turns out to be true, I may have to factor an iPhone as a possible option down the road when I upgrade again.

notBald

Oct 27, 2017
You're not alone. iOS is a lot like Windows 95, let it run too long and get weird issues that a restart fixes.

My mail app will sometimes stop marking mail as read until a restart. Doing the double tap, quit app, don't work. Annoying.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
100%, every iOS update seems to break notifications syncing between Mail App and Office 365 too. Many modern Outlook add-ins support the iOS and Android apps too, it's great!
Does it work with the normal calendar app or does it have its own?

My outlook calendar and email is really important for my schedule. I can't live without either. And right now the mail app is blowing for me.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Rendering engines execute arbitrary code and are absolutely massive attack surfaces.
...and Apple is the only company in the universe that can make a completely attack-proof rendering engine, unlike scummy disgusting non-Apple companies such as Google and Mozilla!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I want is to be able to have Spotify as the default audio player when I ask Siri, "Can you play <song>?"

I am fine using Safari and Apple Maps.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I just want Watch Later YouTube buttons to work on iOS. It's weird they jump you into YouTube but then Safari pops up with the website version of YouTube right after. Very frustrating.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
not being able to use iMessage on Windows
Locking iMessage behind Apple hardware on all platforms is the most baffling thing to me, and I honestly can't understand why so many people champion iMessage as a primary motivator for sticking with iPhones when I know for a fact that the vast majority of them don't use Macs and can't text from a computer. I have been texting from a platform-agnostic browser since I started using Google Voice more than a decade ago, and now it's an option on every major messaging platform other than iMessage.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
B-because it's Apple
2 actual reasons:

1) Apple doesn't have monopoly power in an industry like Windows in the 90s. No, Apple having sole control of the iPhone doesn't count. The market they're in is the wider smartphone market.
2) US antitrust and anticompetitive enforcement has been very lax in the last 20 years

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good, I'll replace Maps and Mail in an instant.

Safari is still the best browser so that's not going anywhere.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Thats neato but the greatest thing about ios 14 imo is that its rumoured to come out for all devices running ios 13.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Cool. Would like to make Brave default browser, so I don't have to do the Share workaround to open links there instead of in Safari.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
...and Apple is the only company in the universe that can make a completely attack-proof rendering engine, unlike scummy disgusting non-Apple companies such as Google and Mozilla!
It's all about limiting the number of attack surfaces. Remember how Flash and Acrobat were the biggest attack vectors for years on end?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It's all about limiting the number of attack surfaces. Remember how Flash and Acrobat were the biggest attack vectors for years on end?
look, if believing that Apple imposing limitations on their OSes is for your own good makes you feel better, I'm not gonna stop you

Oct 25, 2017

Security used to restrict choice is not real security. It's like if your government said "you can only use our secure messaging app because it's real secure and reduces the attack surface of other messaging apps!"

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Doesn't stop the GMail app from asking me if I want to default to using Chrome (which I don't have installed) as my default browser.... every fucking time I click on a link.