• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apple Inc. is considering giving rival apps more prominence on iPhones and iPads and opening its HomePod speaker to third-party music services after criticism the company provides an unfair advantage to its in-house products.

The technology giant is discussing whether to let users choose third-party web browser and mail applications as their default options on Apple's mobile devices, replacing the company's Safari browser and Mail app, according to people familiar with the matter. Since launching the App Store in 2008, Apple hasn't allowed users to replace pre-installed apps such as these with third-party services. That has made it difficult for some developers to compete, and has raised concerns from lawmakers probing potential antitrust violations in the technology industry.

www.bloomberg.com

Apple Weighs Letting Users Switch Default iPhone Apps to Rivals

Apple Inc. is considering giving rival apps more prominence on iPhones and iPads and opening its HomePod speaker to third-party music services after criticism the company provides an unfair advantage to its in-house products.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Wait you can't do this on iOS?

lmao

then again they don't even allow competing rendering engines for browsers so I'm not surprised

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so accustomed to Safari and the mail app at this point, it doesn't matter. Kind like the revamped Apple Maps, I don't care because I've been using google maps for so long.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
this is actually something that put me off going back to iOS. i'm too deep into the Google system. i need chrome, gmail, maps, etc.

let me delete apps and make whatever i want the default.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its 2020 and this company still lacks even the simplest amount of user customisation?

flip

Oct 25, 2017
Spotify on HomePod would be a great concession. They've wanted to push people to Apple Music aggressively, but those people will already have a HomePod if they're really into it. Might as well open up the market for themselves.

But they better not tie that functionality to HomePod 2/mini.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I used to want this badly for Google maps, but I'm kind of fed up with its navigation lately so eh, whatever.

Ganado

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain why this is okay while MS having Internet Explorer installed and as standard on Windows wasn't okay?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Mail:
To be fair, ever since share sheet became a thing, the 'default email app' has become a much less relevant concept. (i think it only really matters for mailto: links or whatever iOS parses as email address and creates a mailto link from)
Otherwise, like when sharing photos, it's functionally identical whether you hit share with -> Mail or share with -> GMAIL for example.

Browser:
The default browser, on the other hand, should be something you can choose, period.
Safari would still be many people's browser of choice due to its simplicity and its interoperability with macOS Safari.

Maps:
Opening up CarPlay to third party apps (i.e. GoogleMaps) in iOS 12 was a big deal as well. So, apart from tapping addresses in the contacts app, you really never see the Apple maps app, if you don't wanna.
Like, googling for a place's adress in Safari and then hitting "route" on the Google result will open the GOOGLE MAPS app on your iPhone.

Can someone explain why this is okay while MS having Internet Explorer installed and as standard on Windows wasn't okay?

Market share.

Microsoft had a de-facto monopoly among consumer PCs and other "PC browsers" were (in parts) still commercial software.
iOS has like ... 25% market share among smartphones.

Oct 25, 2017
Windows had like 90% of market share among PCs in the EU. iOS's market share among smartphones is like 20%. As long as Android is a viable competing OS with less restrictions, iOS won't get screwed by regulators as much.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Only really interested in setting Google Maps as my default, but it would be a nice feature to have this Fall.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe add a "We'll finally let you arrange apps at the bottom only of the screen" feature as well

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
A decade too late, but good.

Apple are shitting themselves about being caught red handed engaged in anti-trust.

Ganado

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
B-because it's Apple
;)
Mail:
Market share.

Microsoft had a de-facto monopoly among consumer PCs and other "PC browsers" were (in parts) still commercial software.
iOS has like ... 25% market share among smartphones.
Windows had like 90% of market share among PCs in the EU. iOS's market share among smartphones is like 20%. As long as Android is a viable competing OS with less restrictions, iOS won't get screwed by regulators as much.
i assume android has enough of a market share vs apple
Oh, so it's that low? I guess with Samsung and Huawei being the two largest manufacturers they can't be much higher.
Probably pressure from the Govs is the reason for this change.
Yeah, having a hard time believing Apple would do this without any kind of pressure.

Thanks for the answers!

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how Safari being the default is actually an advantage in IOS. Most apps open links in their in app browser and offer you the ability to open the links on whichever browser you like.

Is it a problem regarding links given by mail or something?

Maybe add a "We'll finally let you arrange apps at the bottom only of the screen" feature as well
Isn't it already the case?

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Good news if it happens. I still have to have Apple Music installed - with at least one song available to play - just to use DS Audio with a bluetooth speaker.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how anyone in good faith would use the default Mail app when both Outlook and Gmail are infinitely better options.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how Safari being the default is actually an advantage in IOS. Most apps open links in their in app browser and offer you the ability to open the links on whichever browser you like.

When I click a link in an email from the google mail app, it gives me the choice to open it in Chrome, Safari, or the Google app. That's it. Being able to open that in firefox would be huge.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so it's that low? I guess with Samsung and Huawei being the two largest manufacturers they can't be much higher.

Yup, since they don't really have any presence in the mid-to-low-range phone market, which is really the segment where most phones are sold, especially in "poorer" countries. Like, Android dominates in India, for example. So that's a lot of phones sold (albeit at the tiniest - if any - profits)

Kinda, it's just those tiny inconveniences. Like when tapping an email adress in any app - a new mail will be composed in a Mail.app style slide over panel. Or when tapping any URL.

The fact that you can almost dodge the built-in apps altogether make it even more frustrating that you can't just set your phone to open URLs or Mail Links, or Addresses - with your app of choice.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Can't you just delete the Apple apps and use the ones you want already? First thing I did was delete Maps and download Google Maps.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
About fucking time.

This was the biggest reason why in left Apple and went bacK to Android.

I loathe Safari.

Better late then never I guess.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Hell yes please, this is the biggest complaint i have with ios, i left android for good because of google but that doesn't mean ios is perfect it isnt by far but this was/is a huge issue.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I click a link in an email from the google mail app, it gives me the choice to open it in Chrome, Safari, or the Google app. That's it. Being able to open that in firefox would be huge.
Kinda, it's just those tiny inconveniences. Like when tapping an email adress in any app - a new mail will be composed in a Mail.app style slide over panel. Or when tapping any URL.

The fact that you can almost dodge the built-in apps altogether make it even more frustrating that you can't just set your phone to open URLs or Mail Links, or Addresses - with your app of choice.
Yeah I see how that can be streamlined if Apple open up a bit.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
That's a pretty big move. Although it's after developers have already established workarounds i.e. 'which app would you like to open this'

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Personally I've never really missed this ability. But I welcome it. If it's done correctly without imposing silly limitations to the third-party apps I might actually start using other apps than Apple's own default. At least maybe another weather app. But really, other than that, and I probably wont even do that, I don't see myself replacing many others. I mean Safari is really good, I've never wanted to go back to Chrome, especially not at this point. Maps is getting great and doesn't have as many issues as it used to plus they just updated it massively. I only use the Music app for my music because it's all local and synced from my Mac. And what little I use email the Mail app is fine enough. I don't have a job that requires a lot of email. Like real-world mail my email is mostly junk and newsletters.

My only wish is that I wish I could merge all my texting apps into one place. Like I want to be able to open the Messages app and have it have tabs for iMessage, FB Messenger and WhatsApp all in one window, or even have all the messages sorted into one list. Even if I need to have the app installed to allow it, I just want to free up two spaces on my Home Screen. I'll gladly bury the Messenger and WhatsApp apps in a folder. Just have APIs the devs can access that lets Messages load up a sort of "window" into the other apps message lists. Then badge the icon with the totals of all the apps and have notifications open up the Messages app when the feature is enabled. It wont happen though.

Oh, and please give us 4x4 icon folders on iOS! There's no reason we should be stuck with 9 apps per folder page. Adding one more icon in both directions would allow you to have 16 apps per page. So much less scrolling. So much less apps lost. This isn't even a major thing to ask for. It sucks that we went from 4x4 folders in iOS 6 to 3x3 in iOS 7 even as iPhones got bigger and bigger. (Also please add one more row to the home screen on the X-style iPhones. There's plenty of room.) Just an extra row or column here and there would make a huge difference in usability.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
God, please do. Annoying as shit that everything I click on inside iOS opens in Safari, but I still use the Firefox app primarily for web browsing.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
If they let me replace Siri with the Google Assistant I'd seriously consider jumping to iOS with how lackluster Google's latest Pixels have been.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
A decade too late, but good.

Apple are shitting themselves about being caught red handed engaged in anti-trust.
Yeah, antitrust investigations are the only logical reason that could make them do this.

I would very much welcome this, but I'm still sceptic until I see a proper confirmation. But next WWDC could be interesting.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I would still use the default Apple apps like Safari and mail(maybe). But this is a good change. Looks like the EU has been sniffing around and got Apple a bit worried.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Never used Outlook but Gmail feels like it's at least five years ahead of Mail. Everyone talks about the Maps vs. Maps showdown but the email showdown is even more lopsided.

I might like the new Outlook app even more than the Gmail app. But same principle, years ahead. I work IT in an Office 365 environment at a small business and regularly tell people that they should just use the Outlook app instead of the default Mail app haha