• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 10, 2018
Really interested to see the design concept whenever it appears.

To me outside of Tesla, design wise most electric cars look terrible.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent news! We need a bigger push toward alternate power sources for cars. I'm curious if anyone else will try hydrogen. Or is that a dead end?

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Apple pushing an electric car seems like it would be a bigger deal if you didn't already have Tesla pushing electrics as a prestige purchase for rich people. Almost feels bad if it's taking Kia-Hyundai production capacity for electric vehicles that could be targeting the market for lower priced cars. I am interested that they're touting full autonomy. A company of their clout pushing that seems like it could get people more comfortable with the idea

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Kia Hyundai is an interesting choice. They have pretty awful design but pretty reliable interiors and often are overlooked in comparison to Toyota on reliability. The combination of Apple aesthetics and product design in combo with their functional and utility manufacturing could prove a powerful combination.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
So I have to ask does this have Android auto built into the entertainment system.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
This looks more like that Apple Moto phone deal. You'll be buying a Kia with Apple tech/software.

I'm still not sold on electric cars. How is someone who parks their car on the street charge it? Chargers are hardly available and you can only build so much. Who pays for it, the building landlord/business?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If they are labeling this as an autonomous vehicle instead of an electric vehicle, then I'm guessing the goal here is ride-sharing and delivery. You buy a vehicle, then when not in use you can loan it back to Apple for them to use in their own ride-sharing service punctually. It could also go charge itself. You get some money back as the vehicle makes money. Something like that. I'd expect this to be aimed at cities first.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This looks more like that Apple Moto phone deal. You'll be buying a Kia with Apple tech/software.

I'm still not sold on electric cars. How is someone who parks their car on the street charge it? Chargers are hardly available and you can only build so much. Who pays for it, the building landlord/business?
Yeah, building an automobile supply chain doesn't sound easy.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that's the only hydrogen car I've heard of. I'm curious to see if companies other than Toyota try their hand at making one. Electric is great (I have a plug-in Sonata hybrid right now!) but the power can still come from sources that hurt the environment. Hydrogen seems like the most environmentally friendly option, but I have no idea if that's actually true or it's feasible to have widespread implementation of the technolgoy. Maybe a few years down the road?

Oct 28, 2017
Which Samsung will mock, until announcing their own cupholder-free car in two years
It all hurts!
Yeah, that's the only hydrogen car I've heard of. I'm curious to see if companies other than Toyota try their hand at making one. Electric is great (I have a plug-in Sonata hybrid right now!) but the power can still come from sources that hurt the environment. Hydrogen seems like the most environmentally friendly option, but I have no idea if that's actually true or it's feasible to have widespread implementation of the technolgoy. Maybe a few years down the road?
More realistic for bigger vehicles, i.e. planes.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

It is 100% necessary for EV to become autonomous so that they can go charge themselves when not in use. There is no two ways about it. It will happen, and faster than people think, precisely because of how much demand there is to fix this issue. The idea that we'll have charging stations all over the place is ridiculous, it won't happen, except where there is a lack of understanding of what the future will bring as a solution, so as a costly stop-gap solution at best.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
What interest does Apple have in cars other than that it's tech adjacent? As far as I know the auto industry is not a high margin affair for any volume manufacturer, and it seems unlikely Apple will be in the business of collecting all the data from your car to sell for advertisements.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What interest does Apple have in cars other than that it's tech adjacent? As far as I know the auto industry is not a high margin affair for any volume manufacturer, and it seems unlikely Apple will be in the business of collecting all the data from your car to sell for advertisements.

As far as data is concerned, an autonomous car is a drone. It records everything around it, so the data can be considered valuable. Imagine if every car was a "Google Cam Car", you'd have near real-time data of everywhere cars are driving. Now whether or not Apple is interested in that is another story.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I wonder if they're actually collaborating on the engineering, or if Hyundai-Kia is just going to build it to spec using their Georgia plant?

Apple decided to become a TV studio for some reason even though Netflix is financially wishy-washy.

I'm convinced they just do stuff for fun at this point.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
2MRpMcK.png

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, but Hyundai-Kia would not have been my first guess, but damn, it almost feels like 10 years ago when the rumors first started that Apple wanted in on cars.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017

Presumably they want to find a new growth area now that the smartphone market has matured, and the car industry is a market (1) big enough to matter to Apple in that regard and (2) at a tech inflection point with electric and self-driving where a new entrant with the right advantages/expertise (computer software & hardware, mostly) could capture some of that market with the right product(s). I don't know if there are many other product categories that tick those boxes.

Computers in general are not especially high-margin (nor were phones prior to the iPhone, I don't think?), so maybe Apple thinks they can do similar with cars.

Last edited:

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
How far is hyundai/kia 's advanced cruise control/semi autonomous work anyways? I haven't heard much myself so it's potentially the perfect partner?

Alot of the other major manufacturers have gotten to a certain level of development and might not be the perfect partner atm

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Apple's first priority is always engineering products to fit a distinct minimalist design philosophy. It will be the first serious competition Tesla will face and Apple knows they will need to go in for the kill if they wish to avoid embarrassment. My guess is they want to cripple Tesla enough for a buyout.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Presumably they want to find a new growth area now that the smartphone market has matured, and the car industry is a market (1) big enough to matter to Apple in that regard and (2) at a tech inflection point with electric and self-driving where a new entrant with the right advantages/expertise (computer software & hardware, mostly) could capture some of that market with the right product(s). I don't know if there are many other product categories that tick those boxes.

Computers in general are not especially high-margin (nor were phones prior to the iPhone, I don't think?), so maybe Apple thinks they can do similar with cars.

Mobile/tablets/PCs are doomed, everything will be on the cloud. All it takes is high speed internet with constant coverage everywhere, which is coming fast with Starlink and probably others.

In ten years, Apple will need to be in a very different position than they are now.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Apple should just outright buy Ford. Their market cap is $45B and Apple has close to $200B in cash so they can easily afford it even if they have to pay a premium. Meanwhile Tesla is over $800B.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean "you can only build so much?" As for street parking I suppose you'd be better off waiting for gas stations to convert to or be replaced by supercharging stations. I'd imagine the majority of people who can afford an electric car at this juncture would still be considered early adopters and probably have a garage with power. The economies of scale driving prices down to more economical versions will lead to infrastructure investment the same way gas stations rolled out across the world a century ago when it was clear horses were being replaced.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What do you mean "you can only build so much?" As for street parking I suppose you'd be better off waiting for gas stations to convert to or be replaced by supercharging stations. I'd imagine the majority of people who can afford an electric car at this juncture would still be considered early adopters and probably have a garage with power. The economies of scale driving prices down to more economical versions will lead to infrastructure investment the same way gas stations rolled out across the world a century ago when it was clear horses were being replaced.

The charging speed is too slow. Cars have to be able to drive themselves to the charging stations/temporary parking to recharge themselves.