• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
www.macrumors.com

Valve Ordered to Give Apple Information on 436 Steam Games As Part of Epic Games Legal Case

Valve, the makers behind popular game distribution platform Steam, will be forced to hand over aggregate historical sales, price, and other...

Request largely granted, and going by the judge's comments there are more to come.

Epic must have known all platform holders would end up dragged into a lawsuit like this, there's so much at stake, so maybe they hoped Apple would have conceded by now?

Well I guess that some publishers/developers will be really pissed at Apple now.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
U.S. Magistrate Judge Thomas S. Hixson ordered that Apple's subpoena for the data to Valve was valid, however, noted that Apple has "salted the earth with subpoenas," telling Valve "don't worry, it's not just you."

lol. Apple wanting data of all their competitors is supposed to make it better rather than worse?

I expect Valve to appeal this, to be honest.

Interesting, is there any chance that some of that data will be be made public?

Well, it's for Apple only unless they use something in court (but even then would likely be sealed).

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.macrumors.com

Valve Ordered to Give Apple Information on 436 Steam Games As Part of Epic Games Legal Case

Valve, the makers behind popular game distribution platform Steam, will be forced to hand over aggregate historical sales, price, and other...

Request largely granted, and going by the judge's comments there are more to come.

Epic must have known all platform holders would end up dragged into a lawsuit like this, there's so much at stake, so maybe they hoped Apple would have conceded by now?
Huh. Interesting times ahead, since the odds that Apple has chanced their arm and asked Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo for similar data is very high. Since they got (most of) the data they asked for here, odds are high that they'll got (most of) the data from the console manufacturers. I think Apple is going to be making some very interesting claims in the court case. One thing's for sure, it looks like Apple is spoiling for a fight.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Was the logical conclussion, dragging the others into this fight to close it down with force. We'll see if it works out in Apple's benefit though.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Welp, I didn't expect it to go this way. That's a lot of info, and I really don't know what is going to be public.
On the one hand I want everything to be public, as Valve is private they don't need to release numbers, but I really wanna know how the business is going. On the other, it might be tmi.

Boogolo

Nov 1, 2020
Damn I never thought a judge would grant them a subpoena, it seems quite tangential plus gives apple a ton of data on a platform that theoretically they could create a rival to.
I presume Valve are going to keep fighting this

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Don't take sides in corporate litigation. There's no good guys

Well I'd say the devs whose sales data is being forced to be handed over and whatever other sensitive info related to that places them firmly in "not the bad guys" territory. Say what you will about Valve but they're getting dragged into this because of Epic's/Sweeney's idiocy. Valve would likely not be too hurt by this data being released, but certain devs could potentially be affected in a not great way. I think it's perfectly reasonable to give side eye to Apple over Valve in this particular situation while recognizing Epic started this clusterfuck to begin with.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I never thought a judge would grant them a subpoena, it seems quite tangential plus gives apple a ton of data on a platform that theoretically they could create a rival to.
I presume Valve are going to keep fighting this

I wonder if valve could now force apple to give them their data, claiming it would give apple an unfair advantage if this data exchange was a one way street.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Wait the article mentions that Apple only requested data on 436 games (and it was granted for those 436), but quotes in OP mention requests for ALL Steam games?

That is, Apple wants Valve to provide the names, prices, configurations and dates of every product on Steam

but that it instead is only requesting data on 436 games

What's going on? Why this discrepancy?

436 games is a very limited scope IMO.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Wait the article mentions that Apple only requested data on 436 games (and it was granted for those 436), but quotes in OP mention requests for ALL Steam games?

What's going on? 436 games is a very limited scope IMO.

All games was Apple's original request, but they changed it to only 436 before asking judge to force it.
(It's games that were released on both Steam & Epic Games Store)

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Don't take sides in corporate litigation. There's no good guys
100% this.

Nobody should be cheerleading Valve's ability to hide potentially massive corporate profits.
I use Steam as much as everybody else here, but something tells me that if their finances ever did become available (as is the case with publicly-traded companies, which Apple is, and Valve is not), a lot of people would be looking at their profits and asking "Ok, and what the fuck are you doing just sitting on that massive pile of cash?"

fairwxfriend

Jan 31, 2021
FYI - Since it's a protective court order only Apple counsel is allowed to review this data to build their case. No one else at Apple is within the scope of the court order and is able to access that information.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
So, basically, if you want competitor strategic data, you just have to make a "fake" trial with an other company. It's really dangerous.

DSoup

Oct 28, 2017
London
It seems crazy that one company suing a second, can result in that second company compelling a third party who are not involved to disclose confidential sales data for defence.

The Judge obviously felt it warranted but still.. :-/

So, basically, if you want competitor strategic data, you just have to make a "fake" trial with an other company. It's really dangerous.
No, a Judge ordered authorised (and limited) disclosure so any 'fake' trial should falter under sensible legal scrutiny.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, there is no "sides" when apple literally forced valve to get into it despite saying they don't want to.
That's not how corporate litigation works. Epic is fundamentally challenging an established industry practice, and because there are no unions/guides/etc who codified the percentages, all the major players following the practice are going to get dragged in.

This is only against Apple because iOS is Epic's biggest potential revenue generator - its impossible for Epic to pursue this without it snowballing.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't make sense.

apple are the defendents, and aren't in direct competition with valve anyway. unless you're saying apple got epic to sue them so they could get data from other companies? Which is like some 3D chess move...

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Apple's argument was that they're Valve's direct competitor (which judge approved) and that's why they should get the data because it's important to show size of market.
I mean what the poster says doesn't make sense since apple is the defendant in the case, as he makes it out to be apples plan all along.

edit: or I'm misreading something here.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Does Apple even disclose data like this as a publicly-listed company?

Pretty shameless of them.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get why some are worried about valve having to share sales data.

Also I'm always wary when corporations magically all land on the same price when selling goods.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I don't get why some are worried about valve having to share sales data.

Also I'm always wary when corporations magically all land on the same price when selling goods.

Do you think that any store ever to sell movie or game is part of global price fixing racket?

Also it's pretty weird yeah that court is forcing non-party to share sensitive financial data directly to their competitor to go through in court case they never asked to be part of.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
www.macrumors.com

Console manufactures will be next. As expected Apple will drag everyone into this as the wallet gardens are largely the same

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Lol Tim Epic should give up already. He's not going to beat Tim Apple any time soon.
No way he will give up. He believes himself to be the messiah that will get rid of Apple and Valve monopoly or some shit like that. Dude is full of shit.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Apple's argument was that they're Valve's direct competitor (which judge approved) and that's why they should get the data because it's important to show size of market.

I thought this was over the mobile market though, Valve doesn't have any presence there i thought. Seems pretty tangential

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
All games was Apple's original request, but they changed it to only 436 before asking judge to force it.
(It's games that were released on both Steam & Epic Games Store)

If that was made clear in the OP I think some people wouldn't have been surprised by this ruling. That said from the Macrumors article it sounds like the scope was bigger than that because the judge limited the number of years Apple could go back in their request.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I thought this was over the mobile market though, Valve doesn't have any presence there i thought. Seems pretty tangential

That's inaccurate. Gaming is still gaming regardless of platform.

It was mentioned in the original report Apple submitted subpoenas for multiple parties (and from the way the judge commented on it they'll be granted those as well). Expect to hear the console makers to get dragged into this in a couple of weeks.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100% this.

Nobody should be cheerleading Valve's ability to hide potentially massive corporate profits.
I use Steam as much as everybody else here, but something tells me that if their finances ever did become available (as is the case with publicly-traded companies, which Apple is, and Valve is not), a lot of people would be looking at their profits and asking "Ok, and what the fuck are you doing just sitting on that massive pile of cash?"

Valve aren't "hiding" anything, the same way literally any other private company isn't "hiding" when they don't publish the sales data of their partners. Apple don't disclose what they're currently asking of Valve, publicly-traded or not.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
There is no difference in wallet gardens. If apples wallet garden gets torn down consoles and PC stores will go down with them

I thought the crux of Epic's complaint was that phones are general computing devices, as opposed to consoles. Also i was under the impression PC stores aren't walled gardens, I dont think they can be by definition

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
If that was made clear in the OP I think some people wouldn't have been surprised by this ruling. That said from the Macrumors article it sounds like the scope was bigger than that because the judge limited the number of years Apple could go back in their request.
How does that clear anything up. Valve is a third party that has no stake in the case. Just because the scope was narrowed doesn't change the absurdity of them being forced to comply.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

It was originally all games in part 10 years, Apple narrowed it down to 436 over six years later and judge 436 over ~3 years. (start of 2017).

Apple narrowed its requests from all 30,000+ games on Steamover ten years, to 436 games over six years

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the crux of Epic's complaint was that phones are general computing devices, as opposed to consoles. Also i was under the impression PC stores aren't walled gardens, I dont think they can be by definition
Epics basic argument is that paying the cut to the store holder is anti competitive behavior if there is no way to use a store without paying that cut. That applies to almost every kind of store in the digital world.

The whole general computing device vs gaming device argument is bs and has been shutdown by the previous judge.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is no difference in wallet gardens. If apples wallet garden gets torn down consoles and PC stores will go down with them
I agree that if Apple's 30% is broken by the courts then that would certainly effect all PC walled gardens. I could see an argument that consoles could be exempt from that as they are more specialized devices whereas PCs and phones are more general computing devices.

Edit: I see you addressed this above.