• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I would like to return to iPhones but I need a few boxes ticked. If I'm paying any kind of premium I need leading camera tech, and the night sight and Huawei night modes show just how far behind Apple are here. I also need, most crucially, decent battery life in a reasonably sized form factor (I don't care if the Plus sized model has decent battery life), and on a phone I really need to see some form of multitasking, which iOS and the hardware is clearly capable of when you see how well it is done on iPads. Please just let me split the screen horizontally so I can watch YouTube and still browse on Safari, just like you can do on android these days. It works well and is genuinely useful at times.

If they can do that and give me a phone in an iPhone 6/7/8 size form factor, ideally perhaps even a full screen form of the iPhone SE.. I'll be there in a heartbeat. Even if the current iPhones were much cheaper I'd steer clear due to the above, but I'm happy to jump back to iOS for my phone once Apple makes some headway there.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
lol

I work in IT, and all the techies I know have Android devices. My much less tech-savvy family all have iPhones.

Eh. I also work in IT and just about everyone I work with has an iPhone. I was one of those holdouts. Got a XS Max (my first iPhone) and had No idea what I was missing. My favorite OS since WP. Also, it's great that it just works and I'm not fucking with it all the time.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea what you people do with your phones that you have to fuck with them all the time.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
bad news for APPL but if you look at more of their numbers, you'll see their quarterly margins have still hovered around 30-35% for the last 5+ years. every single time

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
Kool-aid is delicious. And no, Android phones don't just work. As someone who has to code for them, it sucks keeping up with what OS revision is supported on the various Android phone models, not to mention keeping track of when each phone is due an OS or security update and when each phone will no longer be eligible for updates. So yeah, iOS is better. And because apparently it needs to be stated - IMO

Lol, that has nothing to do with phones "just working" you're talking about coding. The vast majority of people don't care about that. To each their own I suppose enjoy your overpriced phone and bad camera!

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I really expect the entire smart phone market to start levelling off and even declining somewhat. We have reached the point where the newer budget phones are enough for a lot of people and there is no real impetus to upgrade the premium phones every year or two years. The upgrades are minor from an end user perspective and no one is really wowed if you have the latest iPhone or Galaxy anymore.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like iPhones but the pricing is nutty, especially in Canada. I got a used X last year and I'm sticking with this for a long ass time. Great phone that does what I need, it's going to take a lot for me to upgrade.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I'm likely done with Apple myself. One of the reasons why I switched to iOS was because I wanted a compact but premium phone (iPhone 5S) at a time when compact Android phones were almost exclusively low end. Fast forward to 2019 and there are no compact iPhones, period. I'm either buying a XZS Compact or just giving up and getting a big ass Huawei or something.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, that has nothing to do with phones "just working" you're talking about coding. The vast majority of people don't care about that. To each their own I suppose enjoy your overpriced phone and bad camera!
Even people who dont code care about their phones having the latest software and security updates. And thanks for the well wishes. I am enjoying my phone.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
Moving the goal posts? We were talking about phones "just working" now you're talking about sotware /security updates. Yes, Android phones get those too! You're all over the place. I'm out though keep fighting the good fight!

Oct 27, 2017
Moving the goal posts? We were talking about phones "just working" now you're talking about sotware /security updates. Yes, Android phones get those too! You're all over the place. I'm out though keep fighting the good fight!
Either you don't know what "moving goal posts" actually means, or you didn't actually read my other posts that set you off.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on my first Apple product (iphone 7), coming from many years of Android - Galaxy S, S3, Note4.
I love the fact that GPS actually works for me now as that was a huge issue with all three of my Androids previously. Waterproof helps too because I fell in a fucking river a few weeks ago while on vacation! I'll stick with Apple I think, but will stay an iteration or two behind to avoid paying ridiculous money.

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
I'm done with iPhones, I haven't been enjoying my iPhone 8 Plus, I guess I wasn't a big fan of IOS, I went from galaxy s7 to iPhone 8, that was one of my biggest mistakes, getting an s10 this year.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
Either you don't know what "moving goal posts" actually means, or you didn't actually read my other posts that set you off.

Lol, you're projecting nothing set me off. Android Phones "just work" even if they don't have the latest update the second it's released. Not having the latest update isn't as bad as an update purposefully throttling performance but like I said keep fighting the good fight.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Apple may release a cheaper phone in the future but they will never release a true budget or mid tier priced phone. They gobble up most of the smartphone profits even if they don't sell nearly as much as some of the competition.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Cheaper phones are gonna win out. Makes the most sense. I believe there are more Androids on the market as a whole anyway. Well, last I checked the most dominant mobiles OSs.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, you're projecting nothing set me off. Android Phones "just work" even if they don't have the latest update the second it's released. Not having the latest update isn't as bad as an update purposefully throttling performance but like I said keep fighting the good fight.
People keep saying that, but all I've done is state my personal opinion and have been attacked for it by Android fanboys over and over. And yet I'm the one "fighting".

This was bound to happen as phones get better and better.

And more and more expensive. Apple didn't help themselves with how awesome the last version of iOS was and how it improved the speed of older devices.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
(a bunch of posts saying this is best, and this is awesome).

My brother is a mobile software developer in Charlotte and my brother in law is a mobile/app developer out of Greenville, SC. Neither would be caught dead with an iPhone. Your opinion isn't some set in stone truth.

There's nothing "wrong" with iPhones or liking them either, but "best" for you and "awesome" doesn't mean your favorite thing actually is the "best" or "awesome" to others.

If you like iPhone's good for you. They're no better than Samsung as a phone and that applies the other way too. My wife is an Apple fan, I prefer the open and easy to do whatever you want side of my Android phone. She can always know all her stuff works the same in her closed environment, and I can pop my Samsung on a phone controller and play SNES games during my break without having to do anything special to it.

I think Android is best (for my enjoyment) and iPhone is best (for my wife and your enjoyment). There's no "winner".

Oct 27, 2017
My brother is a mobile software developer in Charlotte and my brother in law is a mobile/app developer out of Greenville, SC. Neither would be caught dead with an iPhone. Your opinion isn't some set in stone truth.

There's nothing "wrong" with iPhones or liking them either, but "best" for you and "awesome" doesn't mean your favorite thing actually is the "best" or "awesome" to others.

If you like iPhone's good for you. They're no better than Samsung as a phone and that applies the other way too. My wife is an Apple fan, I prefer the open and easy to do whatever you want side of my Android phone. She can always know all her stuff works the same in her closed environment, and I can pop my Samsung on a phone controller and play SNES games during my break without having to do anything special to it.

I think Android is best (for my enjoyment) and iPhone is best (for my wife and your enjoyment). There's no "winner".
Why is it that fan of one thing read the opinions of others that are contrary to their own as statements of fact. Like they're personally being attacked. I stated MY *opinion* and MY *anecdotal evidence* to represent how I feel. I'm not saying unequivocally one is better than the other for everyone. But since I didn't choose the one you prefer, you chose to read it that way. It's ridiculous to love corporations so much that you'll get so tied up in knots over someone else not loving them as much as you do.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
People keep saying that, but all I've done is state my personal opinion and have been attacked for it by Android fanboys over and over. And yet I'm the one "fighting".

You can't make bold claims, expect not to be challenged and then play the victim card when challenged. That's not how any of this works. Lastly, you claiming people love corporations is laughable when you love Apple more than anyone in here loves Android.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Along with the slow sales of Google's latest Pixel line, I think we're just seeing a trend where companies who only produce expensive, top of the line handsets are seeing a global downturn, while companies who product both premium and inexpensive handsets are weathering the storm. I don't think that this has much to do with the divisive design decisions of Apple and Google: dropping the headphone jack, introducing a notch, etc, and likely has more to do with diminishing returns handset-to-handset while introducing higher prices over that same time.

Long-term, I think Apple and Google's strategies will be fine, much like Apple's strategy was fine a half-decade ago when they were getting undercut on price by discount Android phone makers, and while that launched some companies like Samsung into crazy high revenue, it also tanked handfuls of others that didn't have the warchest to weather bad sales years.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, iPhones are not only more powerful phones, but they just work. And they're as secure a device as you'll find, which is why the techies and I prefer them.

This post is untrue fanboyism. iPhones are neither more powerful or "just work" better than any other competing devices and "the techies" don't prefer them over anything else (resident 'techie' here, 15-year engineer at a mid-sized software company weighing in). They've all got their plusses and minuses. There isn't a widespread preference among people in tech for iOS v. Android, especially if you control for other factors like income, gender, country of origin, etc. I'm a software engineer, and if I broke down the handset use of the ~30 other people who I know well enough to know what their devices are, there wouldn't be a strong relationship either way spread among a diverse group. If there's any relationship, it'd tend to be that older American-born/Permanent Resident engineers (~40+) lean towards Apple devices while younger engineers (~39 and younger) lean towards Android devices, but even then I personally know exceptions to this trend on either side. If there is a trend, I think I'd chalk this up to brand loyalty or ecosystem comfort, that older American-born/Perm-Resident engineers were early adopters of the iPhone because it certainly was the first-best smartphone, and people generally stick to what they're familiar with.

At the same time, the response that other person had ... "I know two people in tech and they wouldn't be caught dead with an iPhone" is such a stupid thing to say. Really? They wouldn't be caught dead with one ...? Like if they were holding an iPhone then the only logical explanation would be that someone murdered them, and then surreptitiously slipped a phone into their hands? Or, simply, do they just prefer the ecosystem, features, or price of another device?

I've owned both. I've liked and disliked both at various times. I'm primarily an Apple hardware user, although these days I'm an Android user for my phone. I just think it's a better mobile operating system than iOS for my uses, but I don't believe any stupid bull shit about something "just working" or being more or less powerful than something else, or being a better device for X group of people, or something. It's all about ecosystem, what you're comfortable with, and brand loyalty, and those change from person to person, generation to generation, there's no widespread trend and enough exceptions to trends to make it impossible to convincingly say something so broad.

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
My last iPhone purchase was in March 2017 and while I generally keep my phones every three years, I'm ready for something fresh and new.

Problem is everything on the market is monstrously huge. Hoping one day we can get back something in the iPhone SE size. Gorgeous, compact phone and I love it to pieces.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say I'm a little more tech oriented and of an Apple fan than the general public and even I don't really find myself getting excited for new iPhones. The cooler features tend to come from the software updates anyway. I got an XS Max last round and I kind of want a smaller phone now. I'd probably be perfectly happy with the XR at this point. I almost wish they would simplify the line and have the X and X Max and just drop the prices. WIth phones getting more and more expensive it makes perfect sense that people aren't wanting to upgrade even every 2 years. I really don't see why you couldn't get 3-4 years out of phones today.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Repeated history of trolling and personal attacks against other members
His first post was about his opinion on operating systems. The first response to him was attacking him personally. Yes, he gets to play the victim card.
I don't think attacked means what you think it means. "AnDrOiD SuX!!! Don't @ me tho cause I'll play the victim card" is that guy's shtick.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ this thread.

"I work in IT, my super smart friends wouldn't be caught dead with an iPhone!"

"Android is bloated and never gets updates, iPhones just work!"

For what it's worth, I tend to switch back and forth every couple years or so (grass is always greener and whatnot) but I do have an iPhone XS now. It's mainly down to ecosystem more than a genuine preference. I love my MacBook Pro, and my entire family has iPhones and uses iMessage. Everything else just kinda follows.

I do like Android's software approach a bit more, but the iPhone does what I need it to do, and the integration between my phone and computer is nice.

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
Phone wars suck you idiots.

Anyway, my iPhone 7 is still going strong, but the absurd pricing of the new iPhones is making it difficult to even consider upgrading. I've no interest in android personally as I'm in the apple ecosphere but I'd upgrade to new hardware, particularly for the camera, if things were more reasonably priced - and i'm not exactly struggling to pay. More struggling to justify.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
How is this report even accurate? Apple has 36 billion in iphone revenue. That means the asp would be 1,000 which is no way accurate. In nov 2018 it was around 800. Unless my math is wrong?

Edit. Oh it was 31 billion. Still the asp would be way too high.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Tim Apple needs to step up his game.

It makes you wonder what's the limit of having record profits year after year. Shareholders have lofty expectations.