• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
User Warned: Antagonizing other members
Really which company am I in love with to the point that I question someone else's preferences?

Dude. It's obvious.

Usually when someone projects like you did it's a sign. Then you got defensive. Also a sign.

It's ok to be a fan of a company and their products but it's childish you are bashing others for it than denying your own.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The newest iPhones really weren't all that special. I saw no reason to upgrade from my X. Also, while the OS, Apps and performance of the phone are (imo) amazing, the phones features don't really hold a candle to other manufacturers offerings.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the third year of my phone, nothing excites me anymore.

You must have forgotten about your second post in which you didn't say you don't like android, you say it is a "fact" that is sucks. Fanboy drivel up in here.
So you really expect an "imo" before anything anyone says to discern the difference between facts and opinions? Really? Way too many corporation superfans here.

QuantumZebra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let me guess...

You have never owned a Pixel and your last Android was a Galaxy S4 that you compared to your iPhone 7s.

Now you think apple is god and own iPhone X, airpods and apple watch.

Am I close?

Holy wow.

What did Apple do to you?

Not that it matters - but I came from an S8+ (long-time Android user) to an iPhone 8 Plus, and I adore iOS. The speed, stability, environment, and efficiency are leagues ahead of the S8+'s bloated version of Android. Not to mention the fact that you pretty much stop getting updates after a year (or they take forever), on Samsung's phones.

The only phone this isn't the case for is the Pixel, and it's simply not as good flagship v. flagship as the XS/max.

I'd quit assuming everyone that likes Apple is some insane fanboy.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Think there's a typo in the thread title. Shouldn't it be Cupertino iPhone?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Let me guess...

You have never owned a Pixel and your last Android was a Galaxy S4 that you compared to your iPhone 7s.

Now you think apple is god and own iPhone X, airpods and apple watch.

Am I close?
I'd definitely use an iPhone over a Pixel and the iPhone/Watch/AirPod/iPad experience is absolutely unbeatable for me

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I don't doubt that. I develop for both and meet people who prefer one over the other all the time. I have a Mac, an iPhone an iPad and an Apple Tv, so the integration is a big plus. Whereas I've used an Android phone on the past, I'd never use an Android tablet or Googles TV hardware.
Our first voice assistant was an Alexa device, but we've since gotten a Google Home Mini for free because my wife has the 2tb Google Drive subscription.

I have a Sony XBR55X900F, and the integration between my phone, Google Home, and Android TV has worked out very well so far.

Trodimus

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
And yet they are the only phone manufacturer who doesn't give my info to the chinese or us government. Funny guess I'm keeping my iPhone.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The perception that iPhones can't only deliver a premium experience is long gone coupled with the fact that the price of these iPhones are sky rocketing, it's going to be an up hill battle for Apple unless major changes are implemented.

Elderly Parrot

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Lol these threads always become so horrible, you know what you were doing OP

sweetvar26

Oct 26, 2017
Milky Way Galaxy
It's pretty simple. Their phones are too expensive. Especially in places like India, they are over priced while the competition like Samsung S10 and Huawei Mate 20 Pro or P30 Pro, they are offered for much lesser price and hence the better value as well.

I keep shifting from iOS to Android all the time and I just feel there isn't anything much in terms of upgrade. Apple used to have the best cameras as well, they aren't anymore. Their arrogance to still ship iPhones with that 1A 5V charger on the iPhone X Max is just unacceptable while the market has moved towards fast charging. Why do I have to spend additional money in getting an iPad charger or invest in a USB C cable and charger to make my phone charge fast?

These are my concerns and I'm sure there are others like me who feel that way. Ultimately all these things reflect in the sales and it is what it is.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lol

I work in IT, and all the techies I know have Android devices. My much less tech-savvy family all have iPhones.

Anecdotal as it may be, the majority of my friends also work in tech, and also use predominantly Android. At the end of the day, unless you jailbreak your IPhone, Android just offers considerably more flexibility and control, whereas iPhone is pretty much the simpleton device, at least with how limiting and stripped back the OS and features can be comparatively.

Even the simplest things, eg setting default apps, sharing music, videos, files or zip files over Bluetooth or WiFi direct, then opening those zip files, or using certain casting apps, or true split screen multitasking, file management and copying, deleting, moving etc, having better phone customisation, fine controls in the camera to take long shutter speed shots or whatever else, are just more arduous on the iPhone. Eg you either can't do these things or you need certain specific apps, or to jailbreak or whatever else.

Speed and polish wise, for several years now there's been nothing in it. Phones these days are in real world terms equally fast and fluid to one another, to the point where it really boils down to value proposition, features, design, camera and battery life.

Ultimately, iPhones are getting more and more expensive, but offering less and less in terms of features and design versus the competition, so a big drop doesn't surprise me. Then again, I'd imagine all the manufacturers see some drops since most people (including myself) are likely keeping their phones longer too. Phones are just too expensive to justify such iterative improvements these days.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018
This isn't a surprise. America is the only place where you can get away with selling a $1000 phone. Other markets like China, India, and the EU are super price-conscious and there's tough competition out there in the mid-range segment from Chinese manufacturers. Things that would be considered selling points in the US (iMessage, apple services, security, retail support, better versions of social media apps, long life of updates) may not always be as crucial in other regions due to both technical availability and cultural habits.

IMO Apple needs a cheap new $500 iPhone (all-new, not last year's model with a discount) for the international market.

The other big reason here is that people are holding onto their devices longer, smartphones in general have plateaued and the incentive to upgrade each year is way, way weaker than 2009-2012. A 6s+ or 7+ from 2015-2016 still works fine today, it gets updates, the camera is fine for daily use. Whereas the 4s, 5, etc became obsolete pretty quickly since critical features like LTE, 64bit SoC's, touchID, etc were still actively being developed

Also in this same earnings call they reported that the Apple Watch and services are growing at a crazy rate, so investors aren't worried. The company knows about smartphone ennui and is branching out into different sectors to keep the growth going

Oct 27, 2017
How's that kool-aid? Android phones just work too! Who'd a thunk?
Kool-aid is delicious. And no, Android phones don't just work. As someone who has to code for them, it sucks keeping up with what OS revision is supported on the various Android phone models, not to mention keeping track of when each phone is due an OS or security update and when each phone will no longer be eligible for updates. So yeah, iOS is better. And because apparently it needs to be stated - IMO

Feb 1, 2018
I agree, iPhones are not only more powerful phones, but they just work. And they're as secure a device as you'll find, which is why the techies and I prefer them.

This. I really don't get the "customization makes it superior" "default apps make it superior" "look at all these file types I can edit" feature-piliing > design mentality that people claim makes Android better when the market obviously disagrees. Time and time again we see that many people including tech-savvy people would much rather have a personal device that's simple/fast/reliable/secure/actually gets updates/and has the best ways to keep up with your family and friends.

Customizing every little thing or going deep into tasks that a computer is better at is something you'll enjoy for 30 minutes the day you get your phone and then you get tired of it. The average user doesn't give a shit.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This. I really don't get the "customization makes it superior" "default apps make it superior" "look at all these file types I can edit" feature-piliing > design mentality that people claim makes Android better when the market obviously disagrees. Time and time again we see that many people including tech-savvy people would much rather have a personal device that's simple/fast/reliable/secure/actually gets updates/and has the best ways to keep up with your family and friends.

Customizing every little thing or going deep into tasks that a computer is better at is something you'll enjoy for 30 minutes the day you get your phone and then you get tired of it. The average user doesn't give a shit.

What do you mean the market disagrees? Globally Android has 75% of the market share whilst iOS has 22%. The only thing iOS leads in is extracting more profit from its consumers versus the competition, unsurprisingly of course.

And "simple/fast/reliable/secure/actually gets updates/and has the best ways to keep up with your family and friends." is just as valid for Android as it if iOS, especially if you're looking at the premium end of the spectrum that iPhones tend to occupy.

Feb 1, 2018
What do you mean the market disagrees? Globally Android has 75% of the market share whilst iOS has 22%. The only thing iOS leads in is extracting more profit from its consumers versus the competition, unsurprisingly of course.

The 75/25 figure gets thrown around a lot but it's kinda disingenuous because you're lumping EVERY manufacturer and their models that ALL run android, a myriad of devices ranging from $150 adware Blu phones on Amazon to $2000 Galaxy Folds; wheras iOS devices are only sold by one company and there's only ~10 different models offered all within a relatively tighter price spectrum. So of course one side is going to have larger marketshare because numbers

A more accurate "the market disagrees" rebuttal would be to show me sales figures, customer sat %, and attachment rates for devices that are similarly priced.

And "simple/fast/reliable/secure/actually gets updates/and has the best ways to keep up with your family and friends." is just as valid for Android as it if iOS.

It's really not though. Android isn't simple, you literally said so by bragging about how deep you can customize it and all the functions it has. It's not faster, A-series SoC's prove that in benchmarks yearly, and iOS devices don't require as much RAM just to run smoothly; reliability is arguable but let's say anecdotally I see a lot more older iPhones than older androids; security is without a fucking doubt more robust and prioritized on iOS (apple.com/privacy), no question there, same with the frequency and timeliness of updates. An iPhone 5S from 2013 still gets the latest iOS. And the last part- it's a fact that the best versions of social media apps (IG, Snapchat, etc) are always on the iOS app store first and of course there's that little thing iMessage that everybody hates

Oct 26, 2017
My mom has Android and i try to help her out at times, but coming from IOS i just cant seem to have the patience with Android. Jesus its clunky and horrible to navigate.

IOS is just so simple and easy to use, no issues, super fast and just down right awesome.

Hopefully we will see cheaper phones running IOS

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's really not though. Android isn't simple, you literally said so by bragging about how deep you can customize it and all the functions it has. It's not faster, A-series SoC's prove that in benchmarks yearly, and iOS devices don't require as much RAM just to run smoothly; reliability is arguable but let's say anecdotally I see a lot more older iPhones than older androids; security is without a fucking doubt more robust and prioritized on iOS (apple.com/privacy), no question there, same with the frequency and timeliness of updates. An iPhone 5S from 2013 still gets the latest iOS. And the last part- it's a fact that the best versions of social media apps (IG, Snapchat, etc) are always on the iOS app store first and of course there's that little thing iMessage that everybody hates

Apple mobile devices don't require as much ram because they literally don't offer near the breadth of features or multitasking, don't have near the same app in memory retaining capabilities, and by in large don't even run apps in the same higher resolutions as most top Android devices either.

And you're wrong about the speed of the devices too. Multiple premium Samsung devices have for example bested Apples comparable devices in speed tests and app memory retention for some years now, eg S10 plus vs XS Max, S9 Plus vs X, Note 8 vs X etc, which is pretty crazy when you think about how much more feature rich Android devices are in the first place.

Also lol at talking about Snapchat and IG or even security. Those two apps consistently run quicker on certain top Android devices compared to iOS (though in real world terms we're talking a difference of milliseconds), on top of that, all these devices are hyper secure, and unless you're Mueller or something, a complete non issue. I'd also argue that finger print scanning is not only quicker, but more convenient and secure for the vast majority of people out there. If Apples new devices had it, no doubt most would use finger print scanning over Face ID.

Last edited:

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
Im very happy with my redmi note 5, cheap price and has everything I want on a phone
Xiaomi just entered the market last year too

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
This probably won't happen but with these new services making them money maybe we'll see Apple release their next iPhone with a more reasonable price tag.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Took a chance and got a Huawei last year. Felt like such a guppy buying iPhones all these years.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Apple still maintains its differentiating qualities but much like other consumer electronics devices the smartphone market has both been commoditized and is reaching a saturation point.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't seen the "Android doesnt just work" line in years. But people are realizing that's nonsense. Little by little.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
We mostly use our phones for cameras. I usually go cheap too (OnePlus6 for me now, p20 pro for my wife). But work bought me an iPhone 7 last year, and I was kinda shocked how shitty the camera was on it. Like, I know I was a few years behind, but people raved when they came out. I think it was the one thing I always wanted from an iPhone and they basically lost it.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to buy the new iPhone the moment it came out. Now it's so easy for me to wait until I actually NEED a new phone.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where oh where did China go for Apple. Long are the days when men would try to impress women by buying and displaying 99 iPhones lol.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
Are people keeping phones longer?
I think it's exactly that.

My friend used to work for a large mobile recycling company but got laid off because there was a massive decline in people trading in their phones over the last couple of years due to them keeping them longer than the usual 12 month upgrade cycle.

It's the same for me personally, before the iphone 6 I would upgrade every year. I kept my 6 for 3 years before getting the X at launch as there wasn't enough of a difference to make me want to shell out more $$$. I'll keep my X for another 18 months or so as it does everything I need it to and some.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I really like how my Apple TV, HomePod and iPhone work together but their hardware is just to expensive and I fucking hate how they're doing the Apple Watch.
They refuse to put the more durable sapphire screen on the aluminium model but they dangle it in front like a carrot on the SS model yet price it like the thing made from gold. It's just stainless steel.
Also you're forced to purchase AppleCare now simply because of the extortionate repair prices.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I think Apple "struggling" is better for everyone. Like I like their products a lot and every time I can buy an Apple product it will most likely be the one I own, but they make too much money and they have too much money. Apple being this strong a player is bad for the market. So, in a way, even for Apple fans, this is good news because it means they have to work harder (or give away their work cheaper).

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Apple really needs a few years with no price hikes. They are now past the point they can dictate any prices and the customers eating it up.

Possumowner

Oct 27, 2017
Uk
I'm surprised at Xiaomi on that chart,thought they were steaming forward,going to say that Huawei is eating up a lot of everyone's units