• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Store front. The same way my Android can have multiple store fronts. Is the Google Play Store the most accessible one? Yes. Is it the only one? No. And it shouldn't be.

But part of the appeal of the iOS system is the control of the App Store and not having it be a wild west of apps.

Now if we're talking about controlling the check out system, then yes I'd agree Apple is too controlling over that. While I understand the benefits of it, esp when it started, I think at this stage they should at least open it up to things like Stripe or Shopify backed systems.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
The best outcome is a middle-ground that allows for third-party storefronts on iOS, which is one of the things Epic is asking for.
Which would just be the same thing, i.e. "we'll just use this hardware platform with massive reach and powerful brand image, that you've developed entirely on your own, for our personal profits, and not pay you anything".

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring that Apple isn't monopolistic in any product sector they operate in (unless you want to argue that Mac is more ubiquitous than Windows or iOS devices are more common than Android???) asking for the ability to force a vendor to take a 0% cut but the vendor has to provide all the same support while receiving nothing is nonsensical.

Not everyone is just giant fanboys and can actually have valid complaints.

All true (except for the monopolistic behavior part), especially the bolded, but reading the comments here...

source.gif

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it, this isn't Epic wanting to just use their own checkout service. They want to be able to host their own store, it's both the same and different.

Opening Comixology and browsing something to checkout is different from opening Epic Game Store to buy something to use in Fortnite. Allowing Epic to operate a store front within the platform would open floodgates of security concerns for Apple.

I agree it isn't exactly the same, but correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like Epic is trying to approach it from multiple angles hoping that at least one of them sticks which is why they're throwing out the ideas of alternate pay methods, a separate store, etc. I feel like they're going to say here's multiple ways that could be better and hope that the ruling at least allows one of them to go through or at least a minimum of some sort of compromise.

No doubt another store front opens up a different set of issues compared to simply selling a comic book or movie rental but I think that's then a separate issue of saying no business would agree to the terms of offering all that support while taking a 0% cut when clearly others are okay with that. Google, Microsoft and Sony seem to be okay with that under certain conditions.

But it's not even relevant?

Just because a vendor (not even the same vendor, mind) is willing to offer under conditions a deal to certain products doesn't mean it's automatically fine for every product to act under those terms or even expect the same treatment. It's a special agreement specific to two parties.

More over, it's still ignoring that the problem here is that the Producer asked the Vendor if they could do this deal, the Vendor said no, and the Producer forcefully enabled the deal anyways.

It is relevant because I'm disputing your notion that it makes no business sense and yet companies offer those exact terms so clearly there is some sense to such terms. That doesn't mean Apple has to or want to agree to those terms, but to say no business would agree to those terms is wrong because it happens from other companies. So clearly some businesses think that terms of that model is okay.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
It is relevant because I'm disputing your notion that it makes no business sense and yet companies offer those exact terms so clearly there is some sense to such terms. That doesn't mean Apple has to or want to agree to those terms, but to say no business would agree to those terms is wrong because it happens from other companies. So clearly some businesses think that terms of that model is okay.

Look man I feel like we're going in circles. The original statement, in the context of the full post, is saying that no Vendor would agree to those terms from a Producer, as those were the terms I was talking about above the statement. Especially not ones forced upon them after saying no in the first place.

Your examples were a (different) Vendor offering similar (but not completely identical) terms to a Producer who accepted which is fine and happens all the time. It's not even remotely the same as what is going on here, which is what makes it irrelevant.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Look man I feel like we're going in circles. The original statement, in the context of the full post, is saying that no Vendor would agree to those terms from a Producer, as those were the terms I was talking about above the statement.

Your examples were a (different) Vendor offering the terms to a Producer who accepted which is fine and happens all the time. It's not even remotely the same as what is going on here, which is what makes it irrelevant.

It's not all that different though. You're saying it would never happen because it doesn't make business sense. I'm saying it could happen because clearly businesses find it makes sense to offer those terms. If what you're saying is true then no Vendor would offer those terms to begin with.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not cheering for Apple, but just because Epic doesn't agree with Apple's rules doesn't mean they have the right to violate those rules. What Epic should have done is sue Apple while complying with the rules in the meantime.
This is basically why anyone is supporting Apple. The whole thing has been a joke the way Epic has approached it.

All of this is self inflicted and Apple showing Epic the consequences of their actions, as per the initial agreed upon terms, is just outright entertaining.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not all that different though. You're saying it would never happen because it doesn't make business sense. I'm saying it could happen because clearly businesses find it makes sense to offer those terms. If what you're saying is true then no Vendor would offer those terms to begin with.

It's slightly different because Apple's business is a veritcal integration versus Google, Sony, MS which is more horizontal.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Which would just be the same thing, i.e. "we'll just use this hardware platform with massive reach and powerful brand image, that you've developed entirely on your own, for our personal profits, and not pay you anything".
Yes. Exactly the way home computers have worked for over 30 years now. I don't see how Apple is entitled to the money software engineers and app developers should be getting because the only way to make their apps/software available to the masses is by being forced to give up a share of the profit.

But part of the appeal of the iOS system is the control of the App Store and not having it be a wild west of apps.

Now if we're talking about controlling the check out system, then yes I'd agree Apple is too controlling over that. While I understand the benefits of it, esp when it started, I think at this stage they should at least open it up to things like Stripe or Shopify backed systems.

People are still within their rights to use the Apple App Store. They would just have the freedom to use something else.

Why are people defending Apple? And by extension, defending anti-competitive practices? I just don't think I'll ever understand.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Exactly the way home computers have worked for over 30 years now. I don't see how Apple is entitled to the money software engineers and app developers should be getting because the only way to make their apps/software available to the masses is by being forced to give up a share of the profit.

And like others have said, why is it Apple and not the others? Why are they not fighting to get their store on Xbox or Playstation?

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
Why are people defending Apple? And by extension, defending anti-competitive practices? I just don't think I'll ever understand.

Probably because some think that they have earned the right(even if it has become too big right now), as they have come up with the entire eco system, dev tools and services, large consumer base for any app developer to succeed paired with an almost guaranteed successful hardware product every single year to keep increasing the reach of their apps.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
My take on the whole thing is:
  1. I feel like Apple's 30% cut is a fine and fair rate. Yes, I guess it could be less, but in some ways the apps that generate revenue support all of the free apps. All in all, that's not a big deal.
  2. I think it's totally fine for Apple to prohibit you from advertising alternative payment methods in-app.
  3. I think it's fine for Apple to have a policy that prohibits you from selling the app or IAP for a discount rate outside of their store.
  4. I don't think it's ok for Apple to prevent people from entirely electing out of transactions via the App Store. AFAIK, other than "signing" the apps, if you're not using Apple's ad platform or payment scheme, once your app is downloaded to a phone Apple doesn't touch your app at all. (If I'm missing something here, and there is some other service Apple is providing, then some nominal service fee ($0.05 per user per month or whatever) to support the actual costs incurred would be appropriate for apps that generate outside revenue. But this should be based on actual cost and not be used as an income generator.)
And while on the one hand Tim Sweeney / Epic clearly violated stated app store policies that I have no problem with, the reality is that they needed to do that in order to litigate the issue by having a cause of action.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
And like others have said, why is it Apple and not the others? Why are they not fighting to get their store on Xbox or Playstation?
I don't think taking on Apple, Microsoft, and Sony at the same time is a good fight to pick. But even then, mobile ecosystems are a bit different to console platforms.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think taking on Apple, Microsoft, and Sony at the same time is a good fight to pick. But even then, mobile ecosystems are a bit different to console platforms.

How? You are abiding by the rules of Sony and MS in order to be on their store front. They don't allow you, the consumer, to install different app stores.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are you arguing that this is a good thing?

It's essential to the current console business model and does have advantages for consumers; the most obvious of which is that it allows console manufacturers to sell hardware at a loss. Look at speculation about the PS5's price, there's a realistic chance the Digital Edition is $100 cheaper than the disk version despite the actual hardware cost being much smaller. That's entirely due to the higher margins Sony makes from digital purchases, if third parties no longer have to give Sony 30% that's untenable.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Hopefully this makes the case harder for apple, as they're clearly using the monopoly they have over the app store to bully Epic into retreating on the legal battle. Their actions were already deemed excessive once in this case, so I wonder how this will be seen by the judge.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
This is also too funny when you look at it this way: There is a reason why there weren't a lot of third party apps or games when a game console fails or doesn't have a large customer base but they are when a product does well.

The same applies here. Apple has a successful product, everyone wants to be on it, and then eventually bigger companies like Epic feel like they can eke out more money, and come up with such ideas. It's business strategy through and through and nothing pro consumer in any of their approaches.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Hopefully this makes the case harder for apple, as they're clearly using the monopoly they have over the app store to bully Epic into retreating on the legal battle. Their actions were already deemed excessive once in this case, so I wonder how this will be seen by the judge.
*facepalm*

They're just executing its TOS as the judge allowed them to. Stop repeating this nonsense.

Oct 25, 2017

Since youre late to the party....

This 'ban' is part of the ToS, the same ToS the judge ruled in favor of Apple on

What the judge ruled against Apple about was them trying to say their Epic and Unreal accounts could both be banned since theyre the same company

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm aksing you how the mobile ecosystem is different from consoles when it comes to fight to be made about Epic's end game, hosting a store front.
It's essential to the current console business model and does have advantages for consumers; the most obvious of which is that it allows console manufacturers to sell hardware at a loss. Look at speculation about the PS5's price, there's a realistic chance the Digital Edition is $100 cheaper than the disk version despite the actual hardware cost being much smaller. That's entirely due to the higher margins Sony makes from digital purchases, if third parties no longer have to give Sony 30% that's untenable.
I see your point and to an extent, I agree with it. That's why I pointed out that they are console ecosystems and not mobile ecosystems. Game consoles are made for one or two specific purposes. That's why I'm not asking for every generic DVD player to have multiple storefronts. Mobile phones and tablets have blurred the line and are now mobile computers that we use for everything from gaming to doing our actual jobs. That completely juxtaposes the Apple situation against the console manufacturers' situation and shows that they are completely different circumstances and shouldn't be compared. They can be, but it's irrelevant because of the vast difference in circumstances.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I see your point and to an extent, I agree with it. That's why I pointed out that they are console ecosystems and not mobile ecosystems. Game consoles are made for one or two specific purposes. That's why I'm not asking for every generic DVD player to have multiple storefronts. Mobile phones and tablets have blurred the line and are now mobile computers that we use for everything from gaming to doing our actual jobs. That completely juxtaposes the Apple situation against the console manufacturers' situation and shows that they are completely different circumstances and shouldn't be compared. They can be, but it's irrelevant because of the vast difference in circumstances.

Lawyers like Hoeglaw on Youtube already argued that both are the same under the eyes of the law and I believe Apple mentioned that in one of their filings. It's highly likely if Apple lost and was forced to host stores on their store for 0% that consoles (and maybe other devices) would have to as well.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This is simply not true anymore and hasn't been since the 360/PS3
Who is filling out spreadsheets and sending their emails primarily through a PS4?

Lawyers like Hoeglaw on Youtube already argued that both are the same under the eyes of the law and I believe Apple mentioned that in one of their filings. It's highly likely if Apple lost and was forced to host stores on their store for 0% that consoles (and maybe other devices) would have to as well.
While I doubt we'd get a perfect storm of instantaneous laws, console manufacturers still have physical media, something that isn't applicable to mobile storefronts.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
While I doubt we'd get a perfect storm of instantaneous laws, console manufacturers still have physical media, something that isn't applicable to mobile storefronts.

I don't actually know how it'd work if Apple lost and was required to allow stores on their phone. I imagine another company would either sue or threaten to sue one or all of the console manufacturers citing this case as the reason why. I'd like to get insight on what would happen though.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
User Warned: Inappropriate commentary
Win or lose, I'm glad EPIC has done this. It would have been better if less odious companies were the ones leading the charge, but you take the "hero" you can get.

All true (except for the monopolistic behavior part), especially the bolded, but reading the comments here...

source.gif

Nothing to add to this comment except my goodness that young lady. . .

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Well technically by Android fanboy standards you can't do this on iOS either...

But seriously, consoles are doing more now. Games, streaming video, broadcasting to twitch, sharing direct to social media, live TV,
I don't disagree. It's just that consoles haven't turned into mainstream "do work" devices yet outside of entertainment (overwhelming skewed toward gaming)

I'm not an Apple fan by any means, but my wife's iPad can do a hell of a lot more than I thought it could. Including spreadsheets, which she used for an assignment in college once.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
The way Epic has behaved in all this is distasteful to say the least. the lawsuit itself is also a bit hilarious as they want access to all the benefits of iOS like, the tools and API's that Apple develops, access to the app store, access to Apples customer base which they earned over the last decade, all for free. Thats a huge no in my book. I dont want to have wild west of apps on my smartphone and I am sure many many people who use them will agree. Nobody is asking for their to be a choice is multiple store fronts or payment systems on iOS. The phone just works and that is what appeals to the vast vast majority of smartphone users. Thats not to say that Apples App store policies need to be adjusted for a new decade as some of them are archaic.

Also the law does not classify devices as essential and not essential. Tim Sweeny saying that consoles are different does not fly with the law. The court will not say "Xbox is different because it mostly plays games."

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Probably should have reverted the Fortnite app changes like the judge recommended Tim Epic. Now it looks like you're losing something like 1/3 of your Fortnite revenue for 12 months.

It's difficult for me to care about either party here from a moral standpoint since they're both massive companies but goddamn if Epic isn't blundering away here in the dark in a very entertaining way.

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome, somehow I'm happy Apple is winning, a shame there's no way both lose somehow.

Btw what happened to fortnite in google play? They didn't sue google?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I dont want to have wild west of apps on my smartphone and I am sure many many people who use them will agree.

I see this get mentioned a lot and what I don't get is, if you never download or use any of the other stores, nothing would change for you. So how does other people having options impact your usage? Google allows you to sideload a store or app if you want but if you stick to the Google Play store, you're inside their walled garden with no need to worry

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I see this get mentioned a lot and what I don't get is, if you never download or use any of the other stores, nothing would change for you. So how does other people having options impact your usage? Google allows you to sideload a store or app if you want but if you stick to the Google Play store, you're inside their walled garden with no need to worry

What if different app stores had exclusive access to apps?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Cheering for a giant, anticonsumer, monopolistic megacorp because they're shitting on a gaming company people don't like is peak ERA.
Throughout this entire situation, Epic has pretty consitently been the unreasonable party. Like, what they appear to be asking for is for Apple to distribute an "Epic Games Store" app on the iOS app store without Apple getting any sort of money for anything. Even on actual open platforms, that's not how it works. Like, you're not going to see EGS hosted on the Windows Store any time soon.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel like this would be considered punitive if it were done to some small time dev who broke the rules in an update and then adamantly refused to correct what they did.

I suspect in legal terms it'd come down to whether Apple can argue that Epic's actions suggest that they cannot be seen as trustworthy; if Apple succeed in that argument, then I think it's reasonable for the court to ultimately conclude that there's little justification that Apple should have to work with Epic.

(I also agree with those saying that despite that, I'm sure Apple would relent as part of a settlement agreement - indeed, I'm sure part of this is giving them bargaining chips for a settlement)