• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
This additional information of it lasting a year is not an additional fault of Epic though, is it? Either it is a general rule then it should have been known for longer, or it is a specific action from Apple against Epic, in which case this specific action is on Apple.

In the initial court ruling the judge said Apple was within right to terminate the Epic account associated with Fortnite, and that Epic could just revert the change to get back on the store. That's all they had to do, roll back the upadte and the app could have continued to live on the App Store while they fought this battle. This happens ALL the time with Dev accounts on Apple's platform when accounts get blocked, suspended or what not. You find out the issue, revert it, and then worry about the fight after. This is 100% on Epic at this stage.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, get hit with an anti-trust lawsuit, behave like a monopolist. I'm starting to doubt these guys judgment. They are going about this the dumbest way possible.

Someone commented that they are sending a message to every other company out there. Just take a second and think how that might look to a judge in between your Sweeney-hate fueled gloating. I still think Epic is in the better position here.

Epic willing breached the Developer agreement, that is why this is happening. Apple didn't just decide to make an example of Epic for the sake of flexing.

People are only "rooting" for Apple because Epic has been completely idiotic in their approach to this whole thing.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Yeah, but capitalism isn't at stake in this fight between two behemoth corporations.

Yup, this is a contract dispute between two mega corporations.

If Epic wins, it could have the potential to blow back to any devices that are similar to the eyes of the law (which some lawyers said might include consoles). For better or worse, I'm not exactly sure where I stand on this.

If Apple wins, then it seems like nothing changes and locked down devices stay locked down (I haven't heard any arguments that things could get worse).

There's no reason to fluff this up to a battle against capitalism or the good of humanity or whatever overly dramatic line people come up with.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
wULASeP.png

This is brilliant ๐Ÿ˜‚

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
In the initial court ruling the judge said Apple was within right to terminate the Epic account associated with Fortnite, and that Epic could just revert the change to get back on the store. That's all they had to do, roll back the upadte and the app could have continued to live on the App Store while they fought this battle. This happens ALL the time with Dev accounts on Apple's platform when accounts get blocked, suspended or what not. You find out the issue, revert it, and then worry about the fight after. This is 100% on Epic at this stage.
The year long block to reinstate the dev account is an additional point though. Of course Epic could have reverted the Fortnite change, but since they claim that Apple's rules are breaking the law, they refuse to do that.

Oct 25, 2017
The year long block to reinstate the dev account is an additional point though. Of course Epic could have reverted the Fortnite change, but since they claim that Apple's rules are breaking the law, they refuse to do that.

I don't have access to the developer Terms of Service, but that could very well be in the contract language when you sign up.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Being a leftist and progressive isn't the same thing. I'm progressive but not economically leftists. And many leftist nations haven't been the most progressive historically.

Where will the money for universal healthcare, social security, universal preK, green energy or infrastructure overhaul come from, if not from taxes?

There are two future worlds available:

One where tons of people are in the middle class and people are taxed in proportion to wealth (not income, wealth). There are few billionaires and no trillionaires. We have decided as a society to make it quasi-impossible to breach the one hundred billion dollar mark and impossible to stay there for prolonged periods of time. Being a trillionaire is impossible. All who think that being worth less 100 billion dollars is tyranny pls raise ur hands?

The other world is one with a tiny minority of "I can spend a million dollars a day for the rest of my life and still die richer than I am today without working another day in my life" ultra wealthy, and the rest of us who are basically their envious slaves, in varying amounts of disguise. It is a perfectly stable form of society. We've had similarly extreme kinds of inequality in the fairly recent past. What with Tsars and Khans and emperors. Now it's the "merchants" time.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
From what I understand - you could. If you bought that currency on your PC it carried over to your mobile account. I could be mis-remembering though.
Probably, yes. Thing is people are more likely to impulse buy when the icon is right there in the app rather than going through external payment hassle, even if cheaper. Epic got greedy basically, everything else is a smoke screen.
i believe spotify does something like this.
For what I understand they could do that, but they are not allowed to even mention the existence of that site in the app as that also goes against Apple's Terms of Service if the price there is also lower. So that would basically be equal to the move they pulled that got them into this mess, but again, that's is if they mention it anywhere in the app, otherwise they could actually do it.

Well in that case, even sillier!

Should have just made a website where you can buy Fortnite credit and promoted the hell out of it on their social media and season trailers.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens to any developer whose account is terminated. Its not some extra bit of dirt Apple is flinging at Epic.

This case is likely going to take a hell of a lot longer than that, so I don't think it is too big a deal.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel as though people in this thread could use a wider perspective on this whole situation. This is no longer just Epic vs. Apple. Apple's fighting this battle on many, many fronts, which is probably why you see them being as protective of their 30% cut as they are.

Here's a really quick recap of what's happened over the last couple of months:

โ€ข Congress investigating App Store as potential monopoly (along with Amazon, FB, and Google)
โ€ข Epic vs. Apple over 30% platform cut
โ€ข Facebook, Microsoft, Spotify, Amazon being vocal about the same
โ€ข Russia looking to reduce platform cut to 20% (I don't believe this has been discussed here before)
โ€ข Japan anti-trust regulators investigating App Store policies after dev community complaints (ditto)

Regardless of what your stance on Apple is, and whether you love or hate them, Epic's war against the company has caused a lot of other developers and communities to speak out as well. Again, the implications of this go far beyond just Fortnite, and I get the feeling Epic knows it, which is why they're persistingโ€”because they're one of the very few companies that can afford to take the financial hit and not be "bullied" into backing down.

Epic targeted Apple because there was already blood in the water.

Apple brought it up already but I expect them to make a big deal about how consoles follow the exact same rules as iOS. Even in the non-Epic examples you listed the dev complaints about App Store Policies include A LOT of the same complaints Japanese developers were making about Sony in the last year or two.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Reminder that all of this is happening because Tim Sweeney, the billionaire owner of a company also worth billions, was dissatisfied with being a billionaire and wanted MORE money. Apple is a monolith, but Sweeney and Epic are still Scrooge McDuck wealthy. He'll lie to us and tell us that he's fighting for the industry, but this entire ordeal has been driven by pure, unfiltered greed. And now it's going to bite him in the ass.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Capitalism must be muzzled and brought to fucking heel. THAT is the take from all this.
Indeed! Start with Epic Games please, and get them to conform to the PC platform. Forcing a lower standard of service in the name of higher profit margins is capitalist as all get out, and exclusive dealing is anti-competitive tactics that they shouldn't be able to get away with.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine this outcome:

Apple is somehow forced (By law, public opinion or market dynamics) to dramatically reduce the commissions they take on in app purchases.

Meanwhile, Epic is still banned from releasing software on iOS.

You'd love to see that.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Lol what a mess. Why'd Epic think they could take on Apple? This is a company that sues others for having a fruit type logo and deals with quality issues by telling the buyer they're doing something wrong.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I too am disappointed by a lot of the juvenile and naive takes I see here.

Apple is flaunting the spirit of the judge's ruling, which everyone agreed was quite fair to all parties. ESPECIALLY all those other game devs using unreal engine that APPLE made into hostages. Not Epic. Epic expected their Unreal Games dev license to to be pulled, but not their Unreal engine dev license.

And quite frankly, Apple's behavior here, and this demonstration of their power to the detriment of said hostages is justt one of MANY examples that clearly illustrate the dangers they (or any other in their position) pose to a free and open market. They are out of control and they need to be spanked until they fucking quit it! The whole deal with capitalism is it's great for growth but then you have to spank the ones that get big and powerful because they almost inevitably start swinging their gorilla dicks around, pissing all over the small people and shitting all over democracy and justice. Controlled growth is what we want. We do not want neutered or captive government agencies like we have now. Hi FCC. Hi EPA.

Capitalism must be muzzled and brought to fucking heel. THAT is the take from all this.

If you doubt it, then what are you doing on a leftist forum?
This post is like water in the desert of Apple vs. Epic threads.
People here only look through their hatred of EGS to see the bigger picture and it's MADDENING.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
every thread there's less and less people talking about how it's all still 4d chess, epic expected this, they were prepared and knew this was going to happen

weird

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Fuck man, apple is making sure no one else even think about pulling off something like what Epic did.
This is just a PSA.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
More like people basking in the schadenfreude that Epic acting surprised that they burned their hand after touching a heated stove.
This. In every single thread, people come in to slap the hands of those "supporting" or "cheerleading" Apple, when most of us are just enjoying seeing a billionaire get smacked down when he throws his toys out of the pram.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I still hope Epic win something out of this and force some change to be honest. Apple apologism and fanboyism is as nauseating as any other. They're not the good guys in this battle, and maybe there aren't any, but if you want a more open eco system and success for companies that don't have policies as dumb as apple's on game streaming - I can't fathom supporting them.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well in that case, even sillier!

Should have just made a website where you can buy Fortnite credit and promoted the hell out of it on their social media and season trailers.

I believe Epic's stated reason for not just doing this is that if there is any friction to buying microtransactions for their games (such as going to an external website), people will think twice on spending money. They claim in their legal documents that people wouldn't pay for microtransactions if they have to take an extra step to do so which would give them time to think about the purchasing decision. It's a market driven on impulse buying.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
clearly epic fucked up royally here, but i dont think anyone should be happy about apple being able to deny access to a huge marketplace with zero outside oversight.

i've read enough developer experiences about struggling to get apps approved and how tricky it can be, of how pernicious apple can be to those who try to make a living on its ecosystem.

people are quite happy to crow about this because it's more about shitting on epic, but really we should be discussing the seriousness of how apple runs their market and not what it means for epic, but for what it means for millions of smaller developers who struggle with it every day.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Epic willing breached the Developer agreement, that is why this is happening. Apple didn't just decide to make an example of Epic for the sake of flexing.

People are only "rooting" for Apple because Epic has been completely idiotic in their approach to this whole thing.

No, they are making an example of Epic because they dared attacking them where it hurts. Their massive fucking wallet.

And the fact is, that Developer Agreement isn't gonna be worth more than toilet paper if this actually goes to court and Epic wins this (and that's a big if).

Someone was bound to take on the walled garden approach some day. Sadly, it was Epic and Tim fucking Sweeney. But just because people don't like him shouldn't divert from the fact that pretty much nothing bad can come from this move long term. Aside from Epic drawing the ire of Apple and Developers getting caught in the crossfire. Which I'm sure is somehow also Epics fault.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This post is like water in the desert of Apple vs. Epic threads.
People here only look through their hatred of EGS to see the bigger picture and it's MADDENING.

Funny, i say the same thing towards those who, not referring to you per say, treat Epic as the heroes in all this. The whole reason Epic is doing this is to keep most if not all of the income while forcing apple to host their app for free. Not to mention the fact that epic tried to weaponize their fanbase, which includes a bunch of children, to attack apple. I do not like apple, never owned any of their products, but pretending that Epic is the savior here is flat out dumb. If given the chance epic would happily employ apple's tactics. Tim is a hypocrite inside out, the sooner people realize this the sooner people will not root for either side.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
clearly epic fucked up royally here, but i dont think anyone should be happy about apple being able to deny access to a huge marketplace with zero outside oversight.

i've read enough developer experiences about struggling to get apps approved and how tricky it can be, of how pernicious apple can be to those who try to make a living on its ecosystem.

people are quite happy to crow about this because it's more about shitting on epic, but really we should be discussing the seriousness of how apple runs their market and not what it means for epic, but for what it means for millions of smaller developers who struggle with it every day.
There is oversight in this case though, it's the judge that already ruled mostly against Epic.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Yes! Victory Royale for my favourite monopoly! Get pwned scrub! insert gif ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Imma lose my shit if tencent sells their shares.

Yes! Victory Royale for my favourite monopoly! Get pwned scrub! insert gif ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

yeah I feel really bad for the plucky underdog, Epic Games. It really sucks when a small pro-developer, pro-consumer company that really cares about having a healthy, competitive market gets killed off by a mega-Corp.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Obviously the solution for this is for Tim Sweeny to go on Twitter and engage in even more trash talk. I'm sure that will smooth things over.