• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Epic Fail.
Sorry, just couldn't resist
I also imagine that this must have made Unity Engine's year.
UE is maintained by a separate account that was protected by the court. Apple can't touch it unless it has its own violation.
It's like they're blinded by how much they dislike Epic.
Pretty much. Almost every post feels like the poster is trying to think about all the potential negatives for Epic and isn't stopping at all to consider why they might've let these things happen. If that dev account was so important to them, they would've used the grace period to fix it.

Epic is willing to tank this because it strengthens their case. Part of their point is that Apple shouldn't really be able to do this.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
wULASeP.png

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
What has Apple done wrong regarding the whole Epic issue? You may not like Apple for other unrelated things (and I'm the same) but for this case they're completely in the right.
The fact that this is currently allowed/in the right is what Epic is challenging. They're arguing it breaks antitrust.

That's also why they're sitting and taking everything. They believe moves like this are further proof Apple has too much power.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is getting hilarious now, I wonder if Epic even saw this comng

Oct 25, 2017
This has been painful to watch.
What the hell were they thinking?
What they were thinking was probably this (this is according to numbers I found, link at the end)
On average, Fortnite makes ~33 million on mobile per month with the App Store probably making most of that. (Worth noting here is that Fortnite's mobile income spiked in December, probably a lot of kids spending their Christmas money on it). So the mobile market is a very profitable one but Fortnite made ~1,8 billion in 2019, so it's still "only 22%" (again, we are talking about roughly 400-500 million here so that's still a lot).
We also know that only around 12% of Fortnite's userbase is on iOS/Android but as far as I can tell that has been growing.

So, what I THINK probably happened is that Epic sees iOS still as a somewhat untapped market - or at least a market with growth potential. Right now Epic can eat up the losses it takes from not getting any revenue (tho if you have Fortnite installed, can you still buy things the regular way? I don't know) with the hopes that that will come back if (and that's a big if) they win the lawsuit or get a deal from Apple (which doesn't seem realistic now seeing how ferocious Apple has reacted).

So what might have happened - and this is all complete speculation - is that Epic underestimated how hard Apple would go for them and was probably hoping to have some sort of resolution within a couple of months. Keep in mind that if Epic got a sweetheart deal or wins this they could easily make up the lost money in the coming months and years (because this would obviously also apply to other Epic games on mobile)

Fortnite Mobile Revenue Hits $1 Billion in Two Years

Fortnite generated $44.3 million on mobile in April 2020, its best month since February 2019, Sensor Tower data shows.

This is just me blabbing btw, I don't have any insider knowledge or anything. I'm just trying to make sense of this, like everybody else.

Epic obviously had to know that this would hur their revenue in the short run, they aren't stupid. The question is whether they under/overestimated Apple and their chances to win this.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
What has Apple done wrong regarding the whole Epic issue? You may not like Apple for other unrelated things (and I'm the same) but for this case they're completely in the right.

You still have 0 to gain from Apple winning this
Epic winning would have much wider implications

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever Epic Game tried to do with this, suffice to say it failed miserably.
In the end they would have wasted millions for nothing.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
This is false unless epic lied to the court which i doubt

iOS alone is almost 1/3 of fortnites userbase
www.theverge.com

Read Epic’s new, full argument why a court should force Apple to reinstate Fortnite

We’ll see if the judge is swayed on September 28th
There is a difference between how big the userbase is and how much money they made out of it. I think 12.5% was more or less how much money they made out of iOS (as said by Apple), while 1/3 is the userbase that plays in iOS (and 60% of it exclusively there).

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
I guess, in a way, Epic continues with it's exclusive business that it started on the Epic Game Store 😏

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
There is a difference between how big the userbase is and how much money they made out of it. I think 12.5% was more or less how much money they made out of iOS (as said by Apple), while 1/3 is the userbase that plays in iOS (and 60% of it exclusively there).
He said 12% is the iOS/Android userbase which is not true. I never argued any revenue numbers but if the analyst numbers are correct iOS makes 20-22% revenue of fortnite.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Epic should prove everyone wrong and release smartphones that comes preinstalled with all app stores available in the Internet but charge less than 30% tax.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Damn...Apple is ruthless haha. Don't mess with them.

Also I was wondering, instead of Epic doing this whole bafoonery, would it not have been possible for them to create a website where people can buy MTX for Fortnite regardless of their device?
For what I understand they could do that, but they are not allowed to even mention the existence of that site in the app as that also goes against Apple's Terms of Service if the price there is also lower. So that would basically be equal to the move they pulled that got them into this mess, but again, that is if they mention it anywhere in the app, otherwise they could actually do it.

Last edited:

ProtossX

Jul 24, 2020
The fact that this is currently allowed/in the right is what Epic is challenging. They're arguing it breaks antitrust.

That's also why they're sitting and taking everything. They believe moves like this are further proof Apple has too much power.

Yeah but Apple is going to prove in court that people switch from Apple to Android all the time. I'm one of them.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
How petty of Apple. US courts will probably side with Apple, but I hope EU courts side with Epic, so that devs can get a bigger bite of the revenue.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I don't play fortnite, I don't have an iPhone, I don't even have an epic store account, yet I'm always morbidly curious about the new developments is this situation.

Anko

Oct 26, 2017
YuriLand
One one hand, you reap what you sow. But on the other hand, I feel like Apple is making Epic's case for them.. That they are indeed too powerful as a monopoly in the ecosystem.

ProtossX

Jul 24, 2020
How petty of Apple. US courts will probably side with Apple, but I hope EU courts side with Epic, so that devs can get a bigger bite of the revenue.

Apple charges a 30% fee which is the same as Google Play/Steam/Playstation/Xbox/Nintendo. Do you want the 30% cut to be lower on everything or just Apple?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
The shitty thing in all of this like most billionaires who squabble, the regular Joe Shmoe out there is just collateral damage. Now Fortnite fans won't be able to play on IOS devices?

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I feel as though people in this thread could use a wider perspective on this whole situation. This is no longer just Epic vs. Apple. Apple's fighting this battle on many, many fronts, which is probably why you see them being as protective of their 30% cut as they are.

Here's a really quick recap of what's happened over the last couple of months:

• Congress investigating App Store as potential monopoly (along with Amazon, FB, and Google)
• Epic vs. Apple over 30% platform cut
• Facebook, Microsoft, Spotify, Amazon being vocal about the same
Russia looking to reduce platform cut to 20% (I don't believe this has been discussed here before)
Japan anti-trust regulators investigating App Store policies after dev community complaints (ditto)

Regardless of what your stance on Apple is, and whether you love or hate them, Epic's war against the company has caused a lot of other developers and communities to speak out as well. Again, the implications of this go far beyond just Fortnite, and I get the feeling Epic knows it, which is why they're persisting—because they're one of the very few companies that can afford to take the financial hit and not be "bullied" into backing down.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
You know, I won't respond much here. But if this is people's take? Then no wonder unions are crap in the USA. Oh no rich company fucks me over,my own fault for speaking up. Seriously Epic is being an asshole, but what Apple is doing here, is also what they do to smaller companies. And no it is not good.

But keep defending them, as they make your toys, like yesterday people making a really tasteless joke about slaves in concentration camps... And thinking it was a good thing for Apple. I'll bow out as I feel too strongly about his topic and don't wish to be banned over it. But please do know that Apple has done far worse than epic. And if this had been Microsoft, Tim Sweeney's earlier target, you'd be foaming at the mouth right now.

How do I know? Sweeney did so, a lot of fud about their store. And while some of it was fud, he also had some valid points. But then the consensus on gaf and later era was agreeing with him 100%.

I too am disappointed by a lot of the juvenile and naive takes I see here.

Apple is flaunting the spirit of the judge's ruling, which everyone agreed was quite fair to all parties. ESPECIALLY all those other game devs using unreal engine that APPLE made into hostages. Not Epic. Epic expected their Unreal Games dev license to to be pulled, but not their Unreal engine dev license.

And quite frankly, Apple's behavior here, and this demonstration of their power to the detriment of said hostages is just one of MANY examples that clearly illustrate the dangers they (or any other in their position) pose to a free and open market.

Edit: Someone pointed out that I misread the title. The above is incorrect. Apologies.

Apple is out of control and they need to be spanked until they fucking quit it! The whole deal with capitalism is it's great for growth but then you have to spank the ones that get big and powerful because they almost inevitably start swinging their gorilla dicks around, pissing all over the small people and shitting all over democracy and justice. Controlled growth is what we want. We do not want neutered or captive government agencies like we have now. Hi FCC. Hi EPA.

Capitalism must be muzzled and brought to fucking heel. THAT is the take from all this.

Last edited:

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Every person I see argue in favor of Epic seems to disregard any evidence of wrong doing and then makes a statement how this multi billion dollar company could be them or the little guy developer. You can't argue Epic is for the little guy when there's been articles out there about the mentally harmful perpetual crunch their Fortnite developers have been going through. Not to mention Tim Sweeney's questionable opinions on the banning of Alex Jones from twitter and interacting with alt-right leaning youtube channels like thequartering.

I've yet to see a real argument for why Epic should have intentionally breached their contract. Just, variations of "they're too big to fail", "Apple is the bad guy", "think of the smaller devs", "30% is too much for what amounts to a credit card transaction" (reducing a service with an industry standard cut), etc.