• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ponzies

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully this shines a lot more light on the horrible working conditions these children are put through.

www.theguardian.com

Apple and Google named in US lawsuit over Congolese child cobalt mining deaths

Dell, Microsoft and Tesla also among tech firms named in case brought by families of children killed or injured while mining in DRC

A landmark legal case has been launched against the world's largest tech companies by Congolese families who say their children were killed or maimed while mining for cobalt used to power smartphones, laptops and electric cars, the Guardian can reveal.

Apple, Google, Dell, Microsoft and Tesla have been named as defendants in a lawsuit filed in Washington DC by human rights firm International Rights Advocates on behalf of 14 parents and children from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). The lawsuit accuses the companies of aiding and abetting in the death and serious injury of children who they claim were working in cobalt mines in their supply chain.

One plaintiff – named Jane Doe 1 – says in the court papers that her nephew was forced to seek work in the cobalt mines when he was a small child after the family could not continue to pay his $6 monthly school fee. The lawsuit claims that in April last year he was working in a mine operated by Kamoto Copper Company, which is owned and controlled by Glencore. He was working underground in a tunnel, digging for cobalt rocks, when the tunnel collapsed and he was buried alive. His family say they have never recovered his body.

I saw the unbearable grief inflicted on families by cobalt mining. I pray for change

Another child, referred to as John Doe 1, says that he started working in the mines when he was nine. The lawsuit claims that earlier this year, he was working as a human mule for Kamoto Copper Company, carrying bags of cobalt rocks for $0.75 a day, when he fell into a tunnel. After he was dragged out of the tunnel by fellow workers, he says he was left alone on the ground at the mining site until his parents heard about the accident and arrived to help him. He is now paralysed from the chest down and will never walk again.

ther families included in the claim say that their children were killed in tunnel collapses or suffered serious injuries such as smashed limbs and broken spines while crawling through tunnels or carrying heavy loads. The families say that none were paid any compensation for the deaths and injuries.

One of the central allegations in the lawsuit is that Apple, Google, Dell, Microsoft and Tesla were aware and had "specific knowledge" that the cobalt they use in their products is linked to child labour performed in hazardous conditions, and were complicit in the forced labour of the children.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Thank you for posting this. A timely reminder what our lifestyle and our disposable technologies cost in terms of human suffering far from the seeing eye.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't Glencore and its subsidiary be sued instead? They are the ones who own the mine and run it, Google, Apple, Tesla, Microsoft and Dell just buy the goods produced from it.

That's not to say these companies aren't responsible for sourcing their goods responsibly, but doesn't seem like this will hold up in court.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Shouldn't Glencore and its subsidiary be sued instead? They are the ones who own the mine and run it, Google, Apple, Tesla, Microsoft and Dell just buy the goods.

"Just buy the goods" is kind of hand waving though. I mean, I get what you're saying and I agree, but when these companies are producing devices as "disposable electronics" and demand millions upon millions of units...they hold some blame for not investing in better technologies or taking stronger positions to recycle & repurpose their old devices.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Does Cobalt mining require small and nimble bodies? I don't understand the reasoning why they involve children at all if that isn't the case. Either way, children should not be digging in mines.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Just buy the goods" is kind of hand waving though. I mean, I get what you're saying and I agree, but when these companies are producing devices as "disposable electronics" and demand millions upon millions of units...they hold some blame for not investing in better technologies or taking stronger positions to recycle & repurpose their old devices.

Yep, I agree, hence why I added

That's not to say these companies aren't responsible for sourcing their goods responsibly, but doesn't seem like this will hold up in court.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Shouldn't Glencore and its subsidiary be sued instead? They are the ones who own the mine and run it, Google, Apple, Tesla, Microsoft and Dell just buy the goods produced from it.

I think this is a way to affect a greater change by cutting the legs of these contractors financially. Furthermore, the crux of the argument is that these companies had knowledge about the working conditions from which their resources are being derived and continued to be in bed with the contractors (obviously due to monetary reasons).

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Reminder that Phone Story (a game that highlighted child slave labor in cobalt mining in the Congo) was one of the few games to ever be banned from the iOS app store (at the time) because it quote unquote depicted images of violence or abuse directed at children.

Phone20Story.png

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These companies aren't stupid. They knew illegial child labour was involved. They use contractors (who themselves also subcontract) for legal deniability.
I think this is a way to affect a greater change by cutting the legs of these contractors financially. Furthermore, the crux of the argument is that these companies had knowledge about the working conditions from which their resources are being derived and continued to be in bed with the contractors (obviously due to monetary reasons).

Ah yeah, didn't think of it like that. The question then becomes - why the heck aren't they included on the list then?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Companies should be held responsible for their entire supply chain. From the raw components to end of life use and disposal.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Fucking sickening, and as usual the perpetrators will go unpunished.
We need to the system.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If we hold Nike and other brands accountable for sweatshop condition we can do the same here.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Ah yeah, didn't think of it like that. The question then becomes - why the heck aren't they included on the list then?

Because Glencore is Swiss.

This case most likely won't survive a motion to dismiss, but good for bringing attention to the issue. That's probably the point.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
They should, and companies like Apple ought to welcome such legal responsibility (applied to all), particularly given their environmental stance.

Apple is one of the most transparent in the industry. They're continually firing suppliers from the supply chain if they get caught using underage labor or if they refuse to submit to audits for the same. It's really weird to see them on the suit because when you look at their work on eliminating conflict 3TG minerals from their supply chain, and they say they're in the same process for Cobalt, like, what do you do after that?

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
Six dollars a month for school? I'm not rich but even I could help some of these people. Are there any charities targeted specifically at families with kids like this? Even stopping one kid from having to do something like this matters.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Why would companies be responsible for disposal? That doesn't even make sense and differs from place to place
Because it would create an incentive to think through how a product can be safely and easily disposed of or recycled. Right now they manufacture with impunity because they don't have to give a shit about the end of life of their highly disposable and highly damaging product. And putting the burden on individuals is inefficient and really doesn't work. So put the burden on companies and governments to develop better solutions.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just readed the article, didnt knew about congo cobalt mines, child labor and slave labor are still big problems in the world and companies usualy turn a blind eye

Jan 10, 2018
Companies should be held responsible for their entire supply chain. From the raw components to end of life use and disposal.

NGOs and non profit companies are trying to achieve that in Germany, not sure about other countries.

Suing Glencore wouldn't get even a fraction of the attention.

Well no. Also we lack good alternatives. There is Fairphone and thats kinda it.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Tesla is working on new battery tech that reduces the amount of cobalt, but this needs to get done sooner and adopted industry wide. Cobalt is not only rare and dangerous to mine, but the use of children is deplorable. The high demand for batteries needs to take a step back until the tech can survive without massive amounts of cobalt.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Had no idea about this. Disgusting.

Fuck capitalism and our inability to do anything. Just shows how democratic we actually really are lol.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is what I'm thinking.
At the very least, I hope this spurs these companies to do something about it. There's no high tech solution to mining that can avoid tragedy?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Glencore issued a statement:

Glencore takes note of the lawsuit filed in a US court by IRAdvocates on 15 December 2019 regarding child labour in the artisanal mining of cobalt in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). We are not a defendant to this lawsuit.

We offer our condolences and sympathy to the families and the children injured or killed as a result of artisanal mining activities.

We do not tolerate any form of child, forced, or compulsory labour in our supply chain. We support and respect human rights in a manner consistent with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Glencore does not purchase, process or trade any artisanally mined cobalt or copper.

Seems they're claiming it's partly illegal mining on property they own, and they got nothing to do with the rest?:
The lawsuit references a number of concessions as locations of injury or fatalities, some of which are erroneously claimed to be controlled and operated by KCC.

The following concessions are not owned or controlled by KCC:

• Lac Malo
  • Kamilombe

Mashamba East pit and waste dump are located on the KCC Concession. KCC has engaged with the local community to highlight the risks of illegal mining, and also with the artisanal agency SAEMAPE to discourage illegal mining activity on its concession. We do not purchase, process or trade ore that is produced at or around Mashamba East.

The Tilwezembe concession, which is owned by Glencore and located ca. 35 km away from KCC, has been overrun by artisanal miners since 2011. Since 2011, Glencore has had no access to the concession and does not have any operational or commercial involvement with it. Glencore has repeatedly requested the DRC government to take action to resolve the situation, and flagged its concerns about labour conditions at the operation.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

Seems it would hinge entirely on proving the claim that they knew about this.