• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the new display will be compatible with Windows laptops too? I'm assuming it should be, wondering if HDMI to USB C cables will work.

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone know if the new display will be compatible with Windows laptops too? I'm assuming it should be, wondering if HDMI to USB C cables will work.

It's probably going to be like the XDR display.

You won't be able to access all the features and settings from windows.

There might be a workaround now but when the XDR released it was seriously hindered on Windows.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably going to be like the XDR display.

You won't be able to access all the features and settings from windows.

There might be a workaround now but when the XDR released it was seriously hindered on Windows.
Thanks. In which case I'll likely avoid it. I use both Windows and Macs, so need something that'll play well with both. I'll stick to my Dell monitor for now.

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks. In which case I'll likely avoid it. I use both Windows and Macs, so need something that'll play well with both. I'll stick to my Dell monitor for now.

I that case it's likely fine. On the XDR you needed a Mac to change between picture profiles for example and you could only change the brightness on Windows.

If you have a Mac at hand it won't hurt that much, but I would wait for a review because going by the specs it doesn't look that hot for the price.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
Apple is just flexing now. Nice tease of the Mac Pro too, that quickly rests any doubt about whether Apple will discontinue the Pro line.

My hope is that they release a quad "M2 Pro" in the Mac Pro to kickstart the M2 rollout, essentially doing the "top down approach"

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Tim Apple hadn't even finished his little speech and I had already pressed that Buy-button so hard on the STudio Display. Finally, my 12-year old Dell display can get some rest

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I need to set a reminder for when iPad Air orders open. I have a feeling those are going to fly off the virtual shelves as well.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I that case it's likely fine. On the XDR you needed a Mac to change between picture profiles for example and you could only change the brightness on Windows.

If you have a Mac at hand it won't hurt that much, but I would wait for a review because going by the specs it doesn't look that hot for the price.
Thanks again. I'll wait for the reviews. In fact I may end up buying a bigger screen, perhaps a nice 32 or 34".

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Why is the iPad Air like £100 difference to the iPad Pro in the same specification. Surely the iPad Pro is better value in that instance?

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
How many gamecubes is it though?
Roughly speaking, the Mac Studio consists of 5500 Duct Tape Gamecubes. (114 billion versus 21 million transistors). The number of transistors is not a good measure, but the order of magnitude should be the same. So the Mac Studio is 3 orders of magnitude more powerful and the upcoming Mac Pro could be 4 orders of magnitude more powerful.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
I like that green color for the 13. I wish Apple would keep some of these interesting colours around for a while instead of acting like they're Versace and rotating shit out every year. I really like the pacific blue I got the iPhone 12 mini in as well, and that seems to no longer exist?

Also, big group hug for all my fellow iPhone mini users.

Proxy-Pie

Apr 3, 2018
At this point I'm seriously considering getting an M2 mac mini when it comes out to replace my desktop Windows PC, lol.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Them saying "that's everything upgraded to the M1 family, except the Mac Pro" was pretty eye opening. Considering the last three places I've worked have been almost entirely 27" iMac machines.

I guess people can get the iMac 24", or a studio monitor + Mac mini to meet the same needs.

But it's interesting to me that the standard 'studio workhorse' iMac 27s direct replacement seems to be modular, and more expensive. $4000 minimum (if getting the apple official keyboard and mouse at $300).

Last edited:

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
After moving to a Surface Pro from an Ipad I really wish Apple would just follow that hybrid approach. It's a shame that these awesome chips are wasted on iPadOS. Same for the awesome screen tech they use.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
After moving to a Surface Pro from an Ipad I really wish Apple would just follow that hybrid approach. It's a shame that these awesome chips are wasted on iPadOS. Same for the awesome screen tech they use.
I don't see how the screen tech is wasted. It's amazing for watching movies/videos with HDR, it's great for smooth scrolling, it's good for video editing. As far as I can tell, allowing full MacOS wouldn't do anything for the screen. Except let you make it look worse by running it at a lower resolution In screen preferences.

Last edited:

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Them saying "that's everything upgraded to the M1 family, except the Mac Pro" was pretty eye opening. Considering the last three places I've worked have been almost entirely 27" iMac machines.

I guess people can get the iMac 24", or a studio monitor + Mac mini to meet the same needs.

But it's interesting to me that the standard 'studio workhorse' iMac 27s direct replacement seems to be modular, and more expensive. $4000 minimum (if getting the apple official keyboard and mouse at $300).

Especially weird sense the M1 pro is only being used in MacBook pros. It would be perfect for a lower cost $1000-$1500 desktop, but they just didn't do it.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
With macOS running on Apple silicon, honestly they should make an iPhone dock that turns your phone into a Mac desktop. It'd have to be expensive to justify the risk of potentially cannibalizing Mac sales, but I'd buy one in a heartbeat so long as it was reasonably cheaper than a Mac Mini.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I don't see how the screen tech is wasted. It's amazing for watching movies/videos with HDR, it's great for smooth scrolling, it's good for video editing. As far as I can tell, allowing full MacOS wouldn't do anything for the screen. Except let you make it look worse by running it at a lower resolution In screen preferences.

I messed up while writing that. I mean I wanted those screens on a Surface or a device that was more flexible software wise. Sorry.

With macOS running on Apple silicon, honestly they should make an iPhone dock that turns your phone into a Mac desktop. It'd have to be expensive to justify the risk of potentially cannibalizing Mac sales, but I'd buy one in a heartbeat so long as it was reasonably cheaper than a Mac Mini.

I really like what Samsung and Microsoft are trying with their hybrid approach. Apple wants you to have several devices and while I see the advantages I really like having one device and it makes me more "productive" since I can just quickly do something if I want to instead of having to go and grab a laptop.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017

I think people are reading too much into the "everything". The iMac line has now got M1 options, so technically that line has transitioned, but there's no reason why Apple can't still release different configurations, including size options.

More likely, Apple realise what a sweet spot the 27" iMac sits in and don't want it to undermine the Studio line at launch. If they can sell a Studio setup for $3,500+, why wouldn't they wait to see how many people they can get to bite before they release the "good enough" iMac 27" for $2,500?

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Well my dad wants to get a base model Studio as a replacement for our 2009 Mac Pro.

I have a 2019 i9 iMac that I use in my room for animation (it's hooked up to my Cintiq), but I still use the Mac Pro enough that I'll go half with him on it (even though I'm not sure how much longer I'll be staying at home 😂).

Also speaking of the larger iMac it's still coming IMO. It has been rumoured, and they also refer to the current iMac as the iMac 24" on the website.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I messed up while writing that. I mean I wanted those screens on a Surface or a device that was more flexible software wise. Sorry.

I really like what Samsung and Microsoft are trying with their hybrid approach. Apple wants you to have several devices and while I see the advantages I really like having one device and it makes me more "productive" since I can just quickly do something if I want to instead of having to go and grab a laptop.

Honestly, the "only" thing iPad OS is missing (aside for proper window management) is a usable Files app that's closer to a computer device rather than a mobile device, then API hooks so apps can connect to it to save/load stuff in a more intuitive way without having to invoke something as convoluted as Share -> Files in order to save files locally or on iCloud outside of their own private walled and unacessible space, or being able to load files saved by other apps. Being completely open to Mac apps outside of a store or turning the iPad into a proper coding machine is something that we all know is never happening since they want people buying an iPhone, iPad AND Mac, though.

SWoS

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Mac Studio (M1 Max - 32 core GPU) and 64GB ram ordered!

Any recommendations for Thunderbolt 4 compatible DisplayPort cables? I've got two Dell monitors that I need to get hooked up and I'm returning to Apple from a fairly old self-built PC, so a bit behind on the latest connectivity!

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the "only" thing iPad OS is missing (aside for proper window management) is a usable Files app that's closer to a computer device rather than a mobile device, then API hooks so apps can connect to it to save/load stuff in a more intuitive way without having to invoke something as convoluted as Share -> Files in order to save files locally or on iCloud, or being able to load files saved by other apps. Being completely open to Mac apps outside of a store or turning the iPad into a proper coding machine is something that we all know is never happening since they want people buying an iPhone, iPad AND Mac, though.
I would switch to an iPad if that were available. On the other hand, looking at other OS like Windows trying to fill the gap for both devicedesign or some Android distros. They're better off sticking with two different operating systems.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017

Honestly though, the Mac Studio competes with the iMac Pro, not the 27" iMac. An iMac Pro with Xeon, 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD was about $4999. If you go for the base Mac Studio with 32GB and 1TB plus a Studio Display, it's $3798.

Last edited:

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, the "only" thing iPad OS is missing (aside for proper window management) is a usable Files app that's closer to a computer device rather than a mobile device, then API hooks so apps can connect to it to save/load stuff in a more intuitive way without having to invoke something as convoluted as Share -> Files in order to save files locally or on iCloud outside of their own private walled and unacessible space, or being able to load files saved by other apps. Being completely open to Mac apps outside of a store or turning the iPad into a proper coding machine is something that we all know is never happening since they want people buying an iPhone, iPad AND Mac, though.

The thing is that being open is what I want lol also, non full screen apps would be nice. The fact that every app needs to account for touch also sucks.

The thing is that Apple already has an operating system that does the things I want, is MacOS. They just don't want to turn iPadOS into that or have that into an iPad.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is that being open is what I want lol also, non full screen apps would be nice. The fact that every app needs to account for touch also sucks.

The thing is that Apple already has an operating system that does the things I want, is MacOS. They just don't want to turn iPadOS into that or have that into an iPad.

The biggest pet peeve I have with the iPad is that Apple themselves sell and market it as "your new computer could be an iPad" to all the people that buy laptops as literal facebook machines and the illusion works long enough... until you need to do actual computer stuff and something as easy as printing a PDF you received by mail or sharing files locally/offline with a thumb drive turns into a full-blown nightmare.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
The iPad's major issue is the lack of multi-user support. It's very clearly a family device, but Apple want you to buy several of them so everyone can have their own user profile.

If there's one thing that needs to come over from macOS to iPadOS it's multiple users.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly though, the Mac Studio competes with the iMac Pro, not the 27" iMac. An iMac Pro with Xeon, 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD was about $4999. If you go for the base Mac Studio with 32GB and 1TB plus a Studio Display, it's $3798.
I guess I'm not talking about what competes as much as what's the default buy now for a "studio" that would typically buy a 27 inch iMac "'complete computer in a box" capable of medium workloads.

Like I said, these machines are by far the most common machine I've seen in studios using something like creative suite for the last decade plus.

Prior to yesterday the purchasing advice would be "wait for the 27 inch m1 iMac"

But after yesterday, with no 27 reveal, and the words at the end alluding to only the Mac Pro being unaddressed, it's a little bit on a weird spot. Now to replace this workhorse you are either downgrading the screen to a 24 inch or getting some kind of Studio Monitor + Mac Mini + keyboard + mouse combination separately? Even if I personally like the modular nature, it's not as elegant a solution for the average consumer.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm not talking about what competes as much as what's the default buy now for a "studio" that would typically buy a 27 inch iMac "'complete computer in a box" capable of medium workloads.

Like I said, these machines are by far the most common machine I've seen in studios using something like creative suite for the last decade plus.

Prior to yesterday the purchasing advice would be "wait for the 27 inch m1 iMac"

But after yesterday, with no 27 reveal, and the words at the end alluding to only the Mac Pro being unaddressed, it's a little bit on a weird spot. Now to replace this workhorse you are either downgrading the screen to a 24 inch or getting some kind of Studio Monitor + Mac Mini + keyboard + mouse combination separately? Even if I personally like the modular nature, it's not as elegant a solution for the average consumer.

Honestly, the M1 in the Mac Mini is already a huge powerhouse overdimensioned for the advertised use (entry level desktops and laptops) going by the fact that people have trouble making it overheat with complex tasks even on the MBA. Just by the amount of e-waste avoided, I feel like an M1 mini + accesories + Studio Display is a much smarter solution than a 27" iMac where, if/when you need to upgrade, you just change the box and keep the rest instead of also throwing away a perfectly fine monitor (that no longer has target display mode, so it just turns into e-waste the second the computer part dies or become obsolete) and keyboard+mouse.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If only gaming would come to MacOS I'd be all over this Mac Studio.
Apple seems to have little interest in going after that market, even though now they have the machines to really do it justice.

For people seeking that kind of performance, especially for editing videos, the price for the Studio seems very reasonable for the specs. Though those monitors would get pricey real quick if you bought more than one. But you don't need to buy their display.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
And GameCubes were just G3s….

Holy shit Apple is buying Nintendo.

27d.jpg

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is tempted to get that 27" 5k monitor, just realize that for the same price or less, you could get a 49" Samsung ultrawide curved monitor with 1000 nits HDR, 5120x1440 with support for 120hz or 240hz refresh. And it works just fine with Apple devices (I use mine with last year's Macbook Pro M1 Max). The only thing you are missing out on is a built-in webcam.

Sure, not everyone needs such a crazy huge monitor, but it's just to put the price into perspective.

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is tempted to get that 27" 5k monitor, just realize that for the same price or less, you could get a 49" Samsung ultrawide curved monitor with 1000 nits HDR, 5120x1440 with support for 120hz or 240hz refresh. And it works just fine with Apple devices (I use mine with last year's Macbook Pro M1 Max). The only thing you are missing out on is a built-in webcam.

Sure, not everyone needs such a crazy huge monitor, but it's just to put the price in perspective.
With WFH webcams are now a big deal for a lot of people.

I do agree that the monitor seems pretty expensive though. Especially if you don't need the webcam.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sure, not everyone needs such a crazy huge monitor, but it's just to put the price in perspective.

Not the same market space. People looking to buy this Studio Monitor should NOT be the same people that buy your ultra wide. If they are, they are uninformed and don't actually know what they need for their use case.

Price is irrelevant when you are comparing apples to oranges.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
With WFH webcams are now a big deal for a lot of people.

I do agree that the monitor seems pretty expensive though. Especially if you don't need the webcam.
Yeah, but a webcam is cheap, attaches to the top of the monitor, and doesn't need to be built-in. I have a really nice Dell 4k webcam I use, I think it cost $150. Really the biggest thing you get from using Apple's monitor is aesthetics - and for some people that's important, but in my book, if you are staring at your screen for hours, it better be a damn nice display.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but a webcam is cheap, attaches to the top of the monitor, and doesn't need to be built-in. I have a really nice Dell 4k webcam I use, I think it cost $150. Really the biggest thing you get from using Apple's monitor is aesthetics - and for some people that's important, but in my book, if you are staring at your screen for hours, it better be a damn nice display.
You make a lot of good points but in Apples defense one of the things you buy their products for is the seamless integration.

It is still nice that you can pick the monitor you want.

Strange it doesn't come with a mouse and keyboard though. For $2000 give me a magic trackpad (would rather nothing than the magic mouse).

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
You make a lot of good points but in Apples defense one of the things you buy their products for is the seamless integration.

It is still nice that you can pick the monitor you want.

Strange it doesn't come with a mouse and keyboard though. For $2000 give me a magic trackpad (would rather nothing than the magic mouse).
I guess they figure at this point most people may already have them so they keep them optional extras. I don't really need either, but wouldn't mind the new keyboard.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
Apple needs to get more CAD programs available on MacOS. There's a sizeable market that would eat up these Mac Studio machines were the software support there.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I guess they figure at this point most people may already have them so they keep them optional extras. I don't really need either, but wouldn't mind the new keyboard.
I think it has always been like this? Mac Mini / Mac Pro no input devices while iMacs come with mouse + keyboard (the 24" still does).

My problem with the Studio display isn't even the price. It's pretty much the only 5K screen you can buy atm. So they can basically take what they want. It's that it's simple not good enough without HDR and/or higher refresh rates. It's also too small, but that's my personal problem. (yes, I also love my ultrawide and can't imagine going back to 16:9 for work)

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I assume at least part of the holdup is that running two OSs on 64GB devices would be hideous from a usability perspective 32GB partitions stinks. Restricting dual booting to say the iPad Pro line could work, but it comes with some weird complications.

Perhaps Apple could swap to a MacOS GUI layer when an iDevice is connected to a display/mouse, but how much work is that for what is probably a small audience.

Still all of the pieces are there with M1, I personally would love to use my iPad Pro in a dual configuration (I already do via VMware), but Ive been stumped about how to imagine it gracefully.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I assume at least part of the holdup is that running two OSs on 64GB devices would be hideous from a usability perspective. Restricting dual booting to say the iPad Pro line could work, but it comes with some weird complications.

Perhaps Apple could swap to a MacOS GUI layer when an iDevice is connected to a display/mouse, but how much work is that for what is probably a small audience.

Still all of the pieces are there with M1, I personally would love to use my iPad Pro in a dual configuration, but Ive been stumped about how to imagine it gracefully.
I don't think that they should straight up port MacOS to the iPad. But iPad OS fucking needs more love. My M1 iPad Pro is faster than my desktop (I think) and all I get is a fucking joke version of Lightroom for example. Now that it' will be all ARM at some point there has to be a way to let us install MacOS apps. Like it's already happening the other way around, when you install iOS apps on M1 Macs.