• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Freestyler

Oct 27, 2017
iPad Pro is the best designed Apple device since the iPhone 5/5s. The X/Xs would be there if it had a full top bezel instead of a notch, or even a hole punch since the Galaxy S10e is essentially a notch less Xs.

I agree that the hole punch is an improvement in terms of design, but bear in mind that the Galaxy range doesn't have Face ID, which means they don't really need the same amount of space as the notch provides.

From the reviews I've seen, the new in-screen fingerprint reader is slow and unreliable, and the "face unlock" is easily fooled.

Freestyler

Oct 27, 2017
Are you okay?

I understand why you would want a webcam placed above the screen. I personally would rather it not, and the majority of others would the same. I am pretty sure there have been studies into this showing 60-70% of people do not use webcams on their laptops. The fact almost all laptop webcams are absolutely shambolic shows how important they are. Very poor quality even on expensive macbooks.

This isn't a discussion about Huawei spying. That is a strawman you are creating.

Dude you really need to stop saying shambolic, or at least explain to me how "all laptop webcams" are disorganized, messy or confused.

I get that you hate Apple's current/recent design language, that's fine, but stop using shambolic as your only verb.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is shambolic. The screens are nice enough to easily be usable, and considering the screen is the majority of the device, the user experience isn't different enough to warrant arguing over a notch or a button.

OP
OP
Cow

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Dude you really need to stop saying shambolic, or at least explain to me how "all laptop webcams" are disorganized, messy or confused.

I get that you hate Apple's current/recent design language, that's fine, but stop using shambolic as your only verb.

I don't understand the issue with the language I am using. What about it do you not understand? I explained why webcams on laptops are shambolic. They are almost all extremely poor quality and far below what is expected of a camera in 2019.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that the hole punch is an improvement in terms of design, but bear in mind that the Galaxy range doesn't have Face ID, which means they don't really need the same amount of space as the notch provides.

From the reviews I've seen, the new in-screen fingerprint reader is slow and unreliable, and the "face unlock" is easily fooled.
There's solutions to the Face ID problem that don't require a notch, like having a top bezel. You know, like this:

iphone-x-wallpapers-to-hide-the-notch.jpg

In regards to the fingerprint sensor; it's not slow; it's slower. Everyone's used to how fast capacitive readers have gotten over the last few years, and the sensor in the S10 isn't as fast as that, though it's still plenty fast, and is a much much faster experience than unlocking your phone via Face ID.

And the face unlock on the S10 is only easily fooled if you use the fast unlock, which can be tricked by easy snapshots. Standard face unlock is no less secure than any other front facing camera unlock by any brand not named Apple since Apple has a shit ton more sensors in the front of the screen.

And even then, there's plenty of people who seem to much rather have TouchID back anyway.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
ever since they went camera bump has made me question their iPhone/iPad design

the XS could look so much better

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I don't know, I don't understand it.

I'm talking about the Apple hate on this forum. It happens all the time, doesn't matter if it's music or phones or streaming boxes, the hate is always so ridiculous.

I always close these threads feeling so much pity for those who get all worked up over anything and everything they do.

However it does show they are doing things right. You don't get all these haters if you're not doing things right.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
There's solutions to the Face ID problem that don't require a notch, like having a top bezel. You know, like this:

In regards to the fingerprint sensor; it's not slow; it's slower. Everyone's used to how fast capacitive readers have gotten over the last few years, and the sensor in the S10 isn't as fast as that, though it's still plenty fast, and is a much much faster experience than unlocking your phone via Face ID.

And the face unlock on the S10 is only easily fooled if you use the fast unlock, which can be tricked by easy snapshots. Standard face unlock is no less secure than any other front facing camera unlock by any brand not named Apple since Apple has a shit ton more sensors in the front of the screen.

And even then, there's plenty of people who seem to much rather have TouchID back anyway.

Personally I prefer the notch to a top bezel. With an OLED screen, the notch is invisible with video content anyways.

Freestyler

Oct 27, 2017

How is that an improvement over the notch? With the notch, the carrier name/time, signal strength, Wi-Fi, and battery are all tucked away in the area that would otherwise (in your render) be a dead area. And then you would either need a giant chin at the bottom to keep the top & bottom symmetrical, or you would have an asymmetrical top & bottom which is just grossé.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Alot of shambolic defenders in this thread.

1) The iPad Mini IS NOT the low end iPad device. That goes to that shambolic mess with like 2gb of ram they released last year.

2) The Macbook Pro IS NOT the best looking laptop these days. Huawei has again trumped Apple in that department with their Matebook X Pro laptops.

3) The iPhone looks ugly and dated. Let's completely forget they released the iPhone 8 in 2017. That phone looked 5 years old the day it was released.
Matebook X looks like a cheap knock off

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Can't really look at a XR/XS/XS max and say it isn't a beautiful piece of technology

The hole punch is a lot worse than the notch but I understand Samsung did too much digging on the notch to add one.

I also have a 2018 MacBook Pro in the space gray and it's sexy as hell.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All the examples the OP is posting about have less bevel....I swear that is their major complaint.

Macbook Pro
436246-apple-macbook-12k72.jpg

Matebook X Pro (what a fucking dumb name)
huawei-matebook-x-prosmjkh.jpg

Deleted member 29939

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't know, I don't understand it.

I'm talking about the Apple hate on this forum. It happens all the time, doesn't matter if it's music or phones or streaming boxes, the hate is always so ridiculous.

I always close these threads feeling so much pity for those who get all worked up over anything and everything they do.

Inferiority complex is a hell of a thing

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
It mean it really doesn't...

The name is pathetic though
I get its super powerful and good computer but they completely stole the look and the US government recently file a compliant for them for openly stealing trade secrets such as schematics from competitors and macbook pro components are on the list. A few of the parts taken are still going through the patent process so we shall see.

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Also, what's wrong with bezels?

As a product designer I wish someone could point me to a recap of the global meeting I clearly missed where it was declared that the road to better designs is to reduce/eliminate anything that isnt "screen" on anything that has a screen.

jbareham_171213_2180_0016.0.jpg

The metal chin on imacs for example give it character and I find the black frame quite elegant.
And the iPhone 5 with its speaker cutout and concave bubble home button is still better looking than 90% of phones running the bezel reduction marathon.

2012-09-29-22.57.58-ZS-DMap1.jpg

OP
OP
Cow

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
All the examples the OP is posting about have less bevel....I swear that is their major complaint.

Macbook Pro
436246-apple-macbook-12k72.jpg

Matebook X Pro (what a fucking dumb name)
huawei-matebook-x-prosmjkh.jpg

It is the main complaint. I also like curved edges on phones.

That matebook looks better than that macbook pro btw.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah that thing in the op is awful. Otherwise their devices look... Fine. Nothing special. Just fine

OP
OP
Cow

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
They still have curved edges on phones.

And that Matebook looks like it would break if you look at it wrong.

I am talking like the samsung thing of curved display edges. It makes it appear like there is literally no bezel at all on the sides.

I have that laptop. It is a well built device, but I would absolutely take the support from apple over huawei. Apple has serious build quality issues with their current laptop line up and still hasn't fixed the keyboard fault that has been going on for years, but that support is there.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
Base model iPads are ugly as hell, but other than that I'd say Apple devices are among the best looking.

Macbook Pros have to be the best looking laptops out there.

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Bezel elimination and obsession with thinness are the dumbest trends in electronics right now.

It will come to a point where the front of a phone or tablet will promotionally be sold mostly on what wallpaper they choose to showcase.

A sea of tight, screen sized slabs. The non-shambolic heaven.

Freestyler

Oct 27, 2017
KI7Wn2p.jpg

The moment that the black hole photo was first rendered. Look at these four shambolic laptops – I bet the Huawei laptop would've rendered it weeks ago.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Everybody going for damn bezel-less design without thinking about me dropping my phone on that sweet spot and breaking it in 19 places. iPhone X is about as slim as I want to go. Just add an extra 2mm on the arse of it and give me a monster battery. I don't even care if you make ZERO changes to the damn cpu, just give me a better battery. Every damn year the same request...

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think Apple devices still look great from top tier to bottom tier.

I don't own a single one currently but I'm always feeling a little bit of envy over their design.

The smartphone notch is awful and plagues a ton of phones right now so I don't really lock that in as exclusively Apple's fault.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The moment that the black hole photo was first rendered. Look at these four shambolic laptops – I bet the Huawei laptop would've rendered it weeks ago.

Computers aren't secret sauce filled bullshit, they are largely the sum of their hardware. Apple makes a nice chassis but I don't know how you praise the product beyond that.

It feels like the magic is gone post Jobs, so many half baked products.

Feb 1, 2018
Apple makes a nice chassis but I don't know how you praise the product beyond that.

The integration of hardware/software is why it's praised, is in fact very much a "secret sauce" (T2 chip, custom alloys, iMac's display controller, folded OLED panels, etc), and is why some people rely on it to render black holes.

It feels like the magic is gone post Jobs, so many half baked products.

People said this same thing while Jobs was still alive, but it was in the form of "they peaked" "the magic is gone" "they can't do another iPod" "iPhone can't compete with Blackberry, it's doomed"

Actually, some form of this "the magic is gone" statement has been around in one way or another since the mid-90's. But for some reason people still keep buying the products and other companies keep copying them! (MateBook X). How shambolic

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Apple devices are so ugly these days

Uses the iPad mini, whose external industrial design hasn't changed for at least five years, as the single example. Yeah, okay. 🙄

Gross.

Last edited: