• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, you won't show any usage to the credit bureaus if you never let the balances get to your statement. Just pay them when you get the bill.

The only reason to pay some early is if you want less overall usage reported.
hmm. are you sure? I was told something different by a card company that paying smaller payments throughout the month could lower my apr and positively affect my score.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
hmm. are you sure? I was told something different by a card company that paying smaller payments throughout the month could lower my apr and positively affect my score.
Very sure. There's no harm in paying some or most early if you want though.
If you pay it all off before the statement hits then to the credit bureaus it looks like you're not using the cards at all as the bank simply reports 0 dollar balances each month.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any compelling reason to apply for an Apple Card? I have so many credit cards already...

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is there any compelling reason to apply for an Apple Card? I have so many credit cards already...
If you're happy with your cards, don't worry about it. If you want some 3% stuff like iPhone Upgrade Program payments, Apple purchases, Uber, T-Mobile, Walgreens... plus great iPhone Integration and privacy... it's pretty nice.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Oh so if I buy an iPhone 12 next year and do it though Apples program then I get a 3% discount on all my payments. That sounds like a good deal.

Let me know when they do 3% back on more things that I care about... I don't use Uber enough to care about that extra 1% back.

i got a 5% back card that I use on Amazon and at Whole Foods. And I got another card that gives me 2% cash back on everything else.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, does this count for bill payments? Might move my monthly bill payment from my Best Buy Visa to my Apple card if so.

Edit: Looked it up online, looks like it's a no-go for now.

I have the Chase Ink Cash card that gives me 5% on wireless and streaming services. The Chase Ink Preferred gives you free cell phone insurance if you want to go that route.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
you get 6% back now on Apple products until Dec 31st. Why can't this card come to Canada already!

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
You use it for the purchase by buying the item and then using it to pay off said purchase right?

Im gonna use mine for some AirPod Pros.

Always use the Apple Card to make the purchase, then use the cash back to pay down the balance. This is true of any cash back card.

Of course, this only works if you can pay the balance on the card in time to avoid interest.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Signed up for an Apple Card earlier in the year when I thought I was gonna have to pay a repair fee for my Macbook Pro, but it ended up being covered by Applecare, so I've got an Apple Card sitting on my phone that I haven't used yet.

At some point I'll probably snap and start using it, but as it is I like the Best Buy Visa rewards over the Apple rewards. It's a real bummer that it's not compatible with Apple Pay though.

September will probably be the breaking point. If Best Buy doesn't carry the 2020 iPhones unlocked I'll probably end up getting it direct from Apple instead.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh snap!

Anyone here using this as your daily driver? I have a Barclays card for when I buy at Apple, but maybe it'd be worth it to get on at this point.
It depends on your habits. If you shop Apple for a big device every year of some kind, and you have several services or subscriptions you could charge through Apps, it's nice to have. For daily driver usage, you really need to look at if you can wisely use Apple Pay at stores you visit. If you always go to Walmart and Costco for stuff and gas, Apple Card's 2% is impossible to acquire there. So check your habits. But if you do Uber a lot and your grocery store has Apple Pay and T-Mobile is your mobile provider, you May get a lot of 2-3% satisfaction.

When the Uber card got downgraded, the list of satisfying 3%+ cards without fees got a bit less competitive. So there's only a few no fee cards that offer the same potential as Apple Card if your habits fit, like Citi Double Cash and others you can search.

Note that right now,you can't automatically export purchase data to apps like Mint or Clarity Money. They offer export files, but haven't set up linking to those kinds of budget apps.

That said, if you often use Apple Pay and various Apple services, Apple Card is a great natively integrated card that definitely is enjoyable for frequent management of your history. Something about the cash going to your account every day is awesome.

Feb 1, 2018
Oh snap!

Anyone here using this as your daily driver? I have a Barclays card for when I buy at Apple, but maybe it'd be worth it to get on at this point.

My daily driver card since it launched. Buying from Apple with it is obviously great since you get 3% back. Uber and Ubereats gets 3% too. And most of my routine shopping and eating has apple pay so i get around 30-40 bucks a month cash back which I save to put towards mac/iOS hardware purchases

I also recommend the fidelity credit card, it's 2% back on everything so great option for a daily driver

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Is there a full list of what retailers accept Apple Pay? The store I've been using the most in our Coronavirus times is Dollar General.
You can usually use Apple maps to look up a store and it'll say if it has Apple pay available.

Aren't you getting gouged at Dollar General?

Oh snap!

3% is not a big enough pull. If you have a Bank of America card you can set up a category to get that. For example, I have two cards, one is set up for online shopping, and the other for travel. I also have a few others for 5% rotating categories.

However, I wish someone would add Tesla/EV charging on these things so I could get some actual cash back at charging.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
You can usually use Apple maps to look up a store and it'll say if it has Apple pay available.

Aren't you getting gouged at Dollar General?

Its a matter of convenience. The wife and I are stocked up on frozen, canned, and non perishable goods but we need bread, milk, and eggs every two weeks or so and it's just easier (And safer, IMO) to pop into DG than into a Walmart or grocery store proper.

Feb 1, 2018
However, I wish someone would add Tesla/EV charging on these things so I could get some actual cash back at charging.

Chargepoint stations have NFC (so can accept apple pay in theiry) but all payments are handled through the app. Maybe this has changed tho havent used one since summer 2019.

I agree though. 3% back on Tesla supercharging or at EVgo would be great

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
If a business doesn't accept specifically "Apple Pay" but does accept contactless payments, does that still count as a 2% cash back transaction or would that fall to the 1% cash back level?

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If a business doesn't accept specifically "Apple Pay" but does accept contactless payments, does that still count as a 2% cash back transaction or would that fall to the 1% cash back level?
That is essentially using Apple Pay.
Pretty sure.

Yes, as long as you see that wavy NFC logo you're good.

The exception being if they say they ONLY take Samsung Pay. Since Samsung Pay also emulates a magstrip. But otherwise yeah Apple Pay uses the same NFC as those tap cards and Google Pay and others.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Cool, thanks guys. Going over last month's Best Buy Visa and comparing rewards between it and what I would get with the Apple Card to decide whether or not I want to switch over wholesale. (Except for Best Buy purchases, obviously.)

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Alright, just did the calculations and assuming I used my Apple Card instead of my Best Buy Visa for my statement ending in mid-June I would have had almost double the amount or rewards: $8.66 on BBV vs. $15.55 on the AC.

This doesn't include Best Buy purchases, obviously, as those get 6% back in rewards and I wouldn't change those over to the Apple Card. It'd be 5% back if I weren't an Elite Plus member, but considering I'm Elite Plus member primarily due to using said Best Buy Visa for practically all of my purchases, I'll be back down to 5% next year anyway.

Few quick questions before I pull the trigger on this:

1) Can I pay for Disney+ with Apple Pay is I cancel my current subscription and re-sign for it within the App Store?

2) T-Mobile announced months back that they're one of the "3% Back" partners. I'm getting mixed information on whether or not this applies to paying your bill as well, does anyone know if this is the case or not?

3) Similarly, I use AT&T for my home internet service. Does anyone know if they accept Apple Pay for payment of my bill yet? I don't see an option on the AT&T website for it but perhaps I'm missing something.