• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
aside from portrait games, pretty much every horizontal games has full controller support though... I've played pretty much everything fully on controller.

Every single one I've tried, has had something or other that does not work on a controller. Are you on Apple TV and is that why it's different there? Because on iPad there's quite a lot of games that don't work. The games supporting controller have more like 90% controller support, but when you go into these menus, open that map or bring up that leaderboard, it isn't supported and you have to use touchscreen again. And in those cases the support actually work, it might be lacking options like d-pad support, ability to invert or similar.

The controller support is horrible from what I've tried.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Which is a better choice for Apple Arcade - DS4 or an Xbox Controller?

Xbox IMO. If you get decent rechargeable batteries to put in it, it'll last a lot longer on a charge — I recommend Eneloop batteries. Also there's hearsay about Dual Shocks having input latency, but I don't think that's been confirmed.

And I personally like the ergonomic fee of the Dual Shock a bit more, I just think the battery life factor is a big boon for Xbox for mobile gaming.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have some of the games that just never load on your phone?

E.g. Pinball Wizard

MC-MC

Dec 15, 2017
Has anyone reached 100% on What The Golf? I'm at 99% and I can't figure out what to do.

easter

Nov 15, 2017
has anyone online tested the 2018 mac mini with integrated graphics with this yet? curious if it is viable or not.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
has anyone online tested the 2018 mac mini with integrated graphics with this yet? curious if it is viable or not.
I think somebody tested a very early version on their MacBook Pro with dGPU and it ran horrible. The Mac Mini iGPU cant even drive my 4K UW display scaled for desktop use without shitting the bed, so I very much doubt the (3D) games are enjoyable without an eGPU. The 2D stuff perhaps? But honestly that's just better suited for mobile in the first place imo.

Catalina should release very soon – and along side it Arcade on macOS – so we should see sooner rather than later.

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Every single one I've tried, has had something or other that does not work on a controller. Are you on Apple TV and is that why it's different there? Because on iPad there's quite a lot of games that don't work. The games supporting controller have more like 90% controller support, but when you go into these menus, open that map or bring up that leaderboard, it isn't supported and you have to use touchscreen again. And in those cases the support actually work, it might be lacking options like d-pad support, ability to invert or similar.

The controller support is horrible from what I've tried.

That's very strange! Using a PS4 controller and an iPhone Xs Max, every possible function in the 20 or so games I've play have been successfully automatically mapped to the controller, to the exact button I'd assume it would be mapped to. A great example of controller mapping done well is the Shantae game on there. Check it out!

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone used arcade with the Apple TV HD model? Is it worth it with this device? I heard Oceanhorn 2 was pretty rough on Apple TV HD.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
That's very strange! Using a PS4 controller and an iPhone Xs Max, every possible function in the 20 or so games I've play have been successfully automatically mapped to the controller, to the exact button I'd assume it would be mapped to. A great example of controller mapping done well is the Shantae game on there. Check it out!

The only game I've played with a controller so far is Sayonara Wild Hearts, and I don't think you can select stuff on the main menu using the controller. I also didn't spend a ton of time trying to figure it out, though. Considering that the game is coming to other platforms I wouldn't be surprised if I'm mistaken about this.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I would love to see a list of "touch-only" recommendations. I've loved Grindstone and What the Golf, but that's about it for me so far. Cards of Darkness is ok, but just seems unfairly hard sometimes.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
I really enjoyed What the Golf but some of the themes were a lot more fun than others and it feels like the more annoying ones such as
Portals, First Person, and the weird paddle club
were skewed towards the end. Overall still a great game and I was fortunate enough the miss any game-breaking bugs.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

Grindstone doesn't support the D-Pad and the analog controls are imprecise (Imprecise in this case meaning not made/tested for controller, like mapping a pc mouse to a joypad). The map screen is annoying to navigate, because it keeps scrolling up or down, unless you continually keep moving the curser down or up again, as soon as the scrolling starts. If you open the achievements, you'll now have to use touchscreen, because that part doesn't support controller.

In Way of the Turtle when you try to load the game, you can move the selection to your save file, but not actually select it, because that part wasn't mapped to the controller. You can bring up the pause screen, but the only thing you can do on it is close it again, since selecting map, options, shells isn't mapped to the controller, again requiring touchscreen. As does the achievement screen and many menus.

In Dodo Peak the game instantly switches to touch controls, if you bring up the leaderboard, because that part wasn't mapped to a controller.

Chu Chu Rocket has controller support, but the buttons are mapped weirdly, with like L2 being used to go back in menus on the Dualshock controller. It only allows analog stick in menus and still displays touch icons in addition to comtroller prompts in some places. It could also be smoother controlling the rocket, since the magnetic lock on to planets is the same as with touchscreen. And bringing up achievements doesn't support controller yet again. Or it actually does, since it doesn't turn off the controller support, meaning you still navigate the game, underneath the menu you just brought up and can't close due to requiring a touchscreen.

And that brings us to Shantae, that you mention, but which has the exact same problem as Chu Chu Rocket. If you bring up the _selectable with a controller_ achievement screen, you get to a screen that does not support controller and require you to use touch to get rid of it. I imagine this being a standard across games, since it uses normal iOS features then. At least it has been in the games I've tried.

So far I haven't encountered anything with full - as in you can control everything with a joypad - controller support on my iPad with the Dualshock being used. This more like what Steam calls partial controller support.

Last edited:

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
So wait can you not launch certain titles offline? My iPad is wifi only -- went to play Grindstone on the train home yesterday but it wouldn't load. Worked fine when I got home on wifi.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
So wait can you not launch certain titles offline? My iPad is wifi only -- went to play Grindstone on the train home yesterday but it wouldn't load. Worked fine when I got home on wifi.
so far, I haven't encountered that per se, but i have encountered save issues when playing offline in both of the games I've spent significant time with (What the Golf and Assemble with Care). Assemble with Care starts me from scratch when I load it in airplane mode. What the Golf did the same, though I think that was fixed with an update.

Feb 15, 2018

I had this problem (if you mean save would not load) just as i was getting on a plane. Cue some hasty wifi hotspot tethering on my phone. It all saved ok even though i was no longer online at this point. Thought this got fixed in a patch about a week ago though?

Deleted member 45468

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I really like Grindstone but it can be frustrating to be stuck on a level (26) and feel sort of helpless. Since the cost of health isn't cheap, I constantly finding myself quitting the level before taking damage due to it.

I second a sequel to Might and Magic Clash of Heroes. It is my favorite XBLA game.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Downloaded around 6 games for now, but I can't stop playing What the Golf. I'm getting all the crowns and I'll probably jump into something else when I reach the stages that give people more trouble, but it's so good.

I like the nods to other games too, they're done in a way that brings a smile to your face (I'm at the Superhot stages right now). Loved seeing the Katamari one too since the whole game game me that vibe from the start.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, sketchy union-related stuff coming from the studio that made Assemble With Care. The studio is accused of firing a trade union organizer at their company and denying him access to union representation at various HR meetings. If true, it's pretty shitty of Ustwo, but the story is developing. This is only tangentially related to Apple Arcade but in lieu of an OT for the game it seemed worth mentioning here for people who care about that stuff.

I think the way it works is that many games need to be launched for the first time while connected to the internet, but subsequent loads are okay? I'm not sure why, since the promise I recall from Apple Arcade was that you can play everything offline, and I didn't remember an asterisk attached to that claim but I also didn't check very hard.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone know how to progress into the Excavation Site in Cat Quest II In the desert area. There's the next main mission in there but it's surrounded by spikes :(

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, sketchy union-related stuff coming from the studio that made Assemble With Care. The studio is accused of firing a trade union organizer at their company and denying him access to union representation at various HR meetings. If true, it's pretty shitty of Ustwo, but the story is developing. This is only tangentially related to Apple Arcade but in lieu of an OT for the game it seemed worth mentioning here for people who care about that stuff.

I think the way it works is that many games need to be launched for the first time while connected to the internet, but subsequent loads are okay? I'm not sure why, since the promise I recall from Apple Arcade was that you can play everything offline, and I didn't remember an asterisk attached to that claim but I also didn't check very hard.
That's what I figured, but wasn't sure. Thanks!

Deleted member 33567

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
so far, I haven't encountered that per se, but i have encountered save issues when playing offline in both of the games I've spent significant time with (What the Golf and Assemble with Care). Assemble with Care starts me from scratch when I load it in airplane mode. What the Golf did the same, though I think that was fixed with an update.

had the same issue with grindstone when I had no phone signal, but mini motorway loaded fine. i had played grindstone before. Not sure when I had last played either of them and if there is a periodic check of if you are still subbed.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Started Tangle Tower and instantly got hooked. Everything is fully voice acted with actual good actors, the central mystery is very intriguing, the world is highly interactive with loads of dialogue commenting on every little thing... I love it.

Most importantly, unlike virtually every other "detective" game, it actually makes you think like a detective and make logical connections and deductions using its puzzle system. Not to mention the fun one-off puzzles with a built-in, in-context hint system.

Great game.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox IMO. If you get decent rechargeable batteries to put in it, it'll last a lot longer on a charge — I recommend Eneloop batteries. Also there's hearsay about Dual Shocks having input latency, but I don't think that's been confirmed.

And I personally like the ergonomic fee of the Dual Shock a bit more, I just think the battery life factor is a big boon for Xbox for mobile gaming.

'if you have an iPad Pro - can you charge The DS4 with a usb-c to micro usb cable?

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Anyone playing Shinsekai?
If not, you should, it's an outstanding Metroidvania with strong emphasis on exploration.
It's Crichton Sphere, Alien and Conan future boy blended together.
Totally worth the slightly longer learning curve than your average game.
Also, the graphics is unbelivable.

Anyway...I'm super stuck on the lost temple zone.
Anyone can help? I have no idea what to do next.
Thanks!

EDIT: never mind I finally figured it out!!!!

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Frogger seems kinda disappointing. Touch controls don't really seem all that great (made a load of mistakes because of them) but haven't given the physical controls a shot, I'm sure those are better. But the physics kinda ruin most fun I could have with the game, as objectives can get burried with no way of moving objects most of the time...

But on the other hand, What the Golf? is a fantastic game using physics. Very funny and I quite like the challenges that vary up the gameplay objectives (moving day was great). So yeah, definitely worth playing.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Just beat Sneaky Sasquatch. Really fun little game. Recommend using a controller. Only thing that's werid with it is golfing.

It's pretty easy though once you get certain upgrades.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Started Tangle Tower and instantly got hooked. Everything is fully voice acted with actual good actors, the central mystery is very intriguing, the world is highly interactive with loads of dialogue commenting on every little thing... I love it.

Most importantly, unlike virtually every other "detective" game, it actually makes you think like a detective and make logical connections and deductions using its puzzle system. Not to mention the fun one-off puzzles with a built-in, in-context hunt system.

Great game.
Maybe it was the actors that made the difference. I almost always think I'll continue listening to voice acting and try to absorb a story but always end up skipping by the time I get further into the story. I still almost did that here but not until the very end when I was just dying to see how the story would wind up.

I really enjoy the hint system too. It is very direct but still gives little away.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I think either the ios update or something else has fixed my icloud syncing issues, but I haven't continued playing anything on Apple Arcade much.

Has anyone used arcade with the Apple TV HD model? Is it worth it with this device? I heard Oceanhorn 2 was pretty rough on Apple TV HD.
I have the Apple TV HD, and lots of games are choppy. Worse is the lag I get on the DS4. Performance really depends on the

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Really been enjoying Grindstone and Bleak Sword.

Good single hand games to play on my commute. Perfect for mobile.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Cancelled my subscription for now. Will resub if there are interesting games in the next batch. Wish they'd add games more frequently.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Good lord the controls for What the Golf? on Apple TV are really freaking terrible, with either the remote or the controller. You aren't going to beat touch screen for this game but it could be done way better. At least give an inversion option ffs.

Also Pinball Wizard with the controller seem super laggy, no? And yes I'm in Game Mode.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Having an issue with What the Golf that is preventing progress for me. Googled but nothing is turning up. I also made sure to update the app, phone is on latest ios and turned the phone off and on again and nothing changes it. Iphone X.

k4hTCQqh.png

This hole when I go to it looks like this:

e9KpSdYh.png

So I can't see anything besides the retry/quit buttons. I'm leaning towards now that this is a joke hole like "invisible golf!" but I can't figure out what to do if that's the case and I've tried swiping all over. Need to at least figure out if the game is glitching on mine or if this is a joke hole and I'm missing the solution.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Having an issue with What the Golf that is preventing progress for me. Googled but nothing is turning up. I also made sure to update the app, phone is on latest ios and turned the phone off and on again and nothing changes it. Iphone X.

k4hTCQqh.png

This hole when I go to it looks like this:

e9KpSdYh.png

So I can't see anything besides the retry/quit buttons. I'm leaning towards now that this is a joke hole like "invisible golf!" but I can't figure out what to do if that's the case and I've tried swiping all over. Need to at least figure out if the game is glitching on mine or if this is a joke hole and I'm missing the solution.

you've tried moving the phone all around? As some are in 3D and you need to stand up and turn around / up/ down etc

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
This might be a dumb question but how the heck do you leave a game on apple tv??? I have a PS4 controller hooked up that works fine but I have no idea how to leave games. I have to bring up the os menu and then go to search which kicks me back to the home menu.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
This might be a dumb question but how the heck do you leave a game on apple tv??? I have a PS4 controller hooked up that works fine but I have no idea how to leave games. I have to bring up the os menu and then go to search which kicks me back to the home menu.
Press and hold the menu button on the remote.

Oct 29, 2017
Curious as to when new games will go up. Nothing new since launch 2 weeks ago.

Well that skateboard game just came out. I was expecting weekly drops for some unexplained reason, which is my own fault. And I have come to the conclusion that these are all still "mobile" games. Not exactly XBLA calibur for the most part (with a few obvious exceptions). Still, for $5 a month, if there's even 1 high quality game per month, I am staying a subscriber. I just would have thought they'd drop some more stuff on us by now. Maybe a big monthly drop?