• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

colinp

Oct 27, 2017
Grindstone devs are working on it https://twitter.com/CAPYGAMES/status/1176554373889089536. So let developers know, it's on them to implement support

This has always been one of the awesome things about iOS devs. It's usually really easy to get in touch with them and they're sincere in trying to fix problems that pop up.

I love the drama people keep showing about podcasts/music getting cut out though. Brings back early AppStore memories, ahahaha.

I guess we can look forward to more "best experienced with headphones" messages on game start up in the future.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Was running this on my iphone x smoothly with a dual shock 4, updated my ipad air 2 and most of the games run great on it and that's a lot better experience with a dual schock 4.

I started playing Shinsekai and was pretty blown away. My favorite game on the apple arcade that I've tried so far and maybe one of the best mobile games. Capcom's take on metroidvania with polish is creative, immersive and fun. Love the music and sound design and the feel of thrusting under water. I bet in a year they port this to every system known to humankind since it seems like Capcom made another winner.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Last edited:

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Enjoying the golf game.

Have been sharply deleting every title that even has a vague hint of "I'd prefer to play this with a controller" about it.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Has anyone had success with save file syncing between iphone and tvos? I'm definitely logged in with the same account on both but it doesn't work. Passing game progress back and forth was something I really wanted this service for.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Am absolutely loving the golf game holy hell lmao. Got two bosses in and realised the additional and crown challenges are different so went right back to the start and have done every single one up to where I am.

Worth 3 months in and of itself and only a day into the free trial.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
does anyone know how to avoid the what the golf save deletion bug? randomly lost my save and i dont want to replay it if it means im randomly going to lose my save again

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had success with save file syncing between iphone and tvos? I'm definitely logged in with the same account on both but it doesn't work. Passing game progress back and forth was something I really wanted this service for.
It definitely works for me (I only played Rayman, Sayonara and Shinsekai on both devices though). Perhaps also make sure it's the same Game Center account that's being used since that's also different from iCloud.

does anyone know how to avoid the what the golf save deletion bug? randomly lost my save and i dont want to replay it if it means im randomly going to lose my save again
Better just wait it out tbh, AppStore reviews also mention multiple save deletions. I'm not gonna pick it up again until it's fixed for good

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah I might pause What The Golf and Grindstone until they add Music/Podcast support, it's wild they don't have it. Glad to hear Grindstone devs are on it.

What The Golf's show a friend mode is really useful, it's great to just hand people the phone and have them be like wait what the fuck

What are good big screen controller games for me to try on iPad?

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
So I just discovered Painty Mob because of the glowing sort-of-review on Eurogamer and it's indeed great fun, but...

...is there a major bug in the game? You need to collect coins to unlock many of the characters and buy items, which may be a bit grindy, but I wouldn't mind that. Problem is, any coins I get vanish the moment I star a new run or when I switch the screen to e.g. the character selection or the item shop.

So basically a lot of what would contribute to long-time motivation simply doesn't work. I wonder if this is happening to just me or is it a generel bug? Has anyone else played yet and the same problem (or not)?

Using an iPad Air on iPadOS 13.1, in case that might be relevant.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Bought a super cheap lightning to hdmi cable (cost me around $5 after conversion).
Worked surprisingly well with my X, immediately tested Sayonara Wild Heart.
Input lag is perfectly fine (enabling game mode on my TV), picture quality is good, framerate is good too.

Will have to try out more games. Airplay was pretty bad, bad input lag and losing a lot of frames.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a super cheap lightning to hdmi cable (cost me around $5 after conversion).
Input lag is perfectly fine (enabling game mode on my TV), picture quality is good, framerate is good too.

Will have to try out more games. Airplay was pretty bad, bad input lag and losing a lot of frames.

Where did you find a cheap cable? The apple one is damned pricey.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
Hate hate hate that What the Golf and Grindstone cut out podcasts/Spotify when I launch them.

Card of Darkness doesn't do it but was confusing as hell to begin with. It took me a number of games to realise the stacks you need to clear are identified by arrows in the corners. Like I did the tutorial a couple of times before it clicked and now I'm flying through. Worth a shot - it's kinda giving me Solitairica feelings (fave iOS game) but we'll see if it holds up.

Last edited:

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Where did you find a cheap cable? The apple one is damned pricey.
one of those cheap china cables. I got it from my local online shopping channel but you can probably find them from aliexpress.

Also I've tested a few more stuff.
Tangle Tower input lag was definitely more noticeable but it's a point and click adventure, so it was still awesome playing it on the big screen.
Shinsekai is pretty good, noticed some framerate drop (not sure if it's just the game or because of the screen mirroring) but nothing major.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Hate hate hate that What the Golf and Grindstone cut out podcasts/Spotify when I launch them.

Card of Darkness doesn't do it but was confusing as hell to begin with. It took me a number of games to realise the stacks you need to clear are identified by arrows in the corners. Like I did the tutorial a couple of times before it clicked and now I'm flying through. Worth a shot - it's kinda giving me Solitairica feelings (fave iOS game) but we'll see if it holds up.
I had the exact same problem. Thought you had to full clear each floor and couldn't beat the second level. I really like it now though. Maybe wish you could auto-equip Cards of Darkness to fit the enemies of the level or something. It's really annoying switching them out so I often end up using ones that don't provide much benefit.
Wow, not even half way there. Not sure I have it in me lol
I know I was pretty enticed to see what would be new in each region. If that isn't driving you, it might not be worth sticking it out since there obviously isn't a huge narrative component or anything. If you aren't currently, and you have spare resources, I think it's a good idea to use some of the different items. They help with clearing levels quicker and make playing feel different.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any games have framerate issues on a 4K Apple TV?

Does What the Golf work over iPad to HDMI? It doesn't work over iPad to VGA.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
on Grindstone
this game does that thing where it seems impossible and then you beat a bunch of levels without refilling your hearts (i skip chests and crowns A LOT though) curious what good "builds" are?
i see the skeleton armor is good for cleaning up the second area, but im very curious about the other shields, only got the first one

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018

I played through SWH last night using video-out on my 11" iPad Pro, and it was dropping frames on the video out pretty consistently. The device was running at what seemed to be a locked 60Hz, though.

I really want to get a new AppleTV (now that I have a 4k HDR monitor), but I'm holding off to see if Apple puts out a new model soon.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
is save progress tied to the GameCenter login? I signed out because it wouldn't let me play Grindstone otherwise when I don't have great reception. But now it has started me over from the beginning.

Also holeeeeeeee shit Sayonara Wild Heart. Even on my small iPhone SE screen it looked beautiful and the touch controls were just good enough on high sensitivity to work. Gonna play through it again tonight.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I had the exact same problem. Thought you had to full clear each floor and couldn't beat the second level. I really like it now though. Maybe wish you could auto-equip Cards of Darkness to fit the enemies of the level or something. It's really annoying switching them out so I often end up using ones that don't provide much benefit.

I know I was pretty enticed to see what would be new in each region. If that isn't driving you, it might not be worth sticking it out since there obviously isn't a huge narrative component or anything. If you aren't currently, and you have spare resources, I think it's a good idea to use some of the different items. They help with clearing levels quicker and make playing feel different.

I'm really enjoying it but the levels are getting trickier so I can't imagine only just being half way through what traps and monsters I'll have to face. I'm up to level 80 now with every level 100% complete so progress is good.

on Grindstone
this game does that thing where it seems impossible and then you beat a bunch of levels without refilling your hearts (i skip chests and crowns A LOT though) curious what good "builds" are?
i see the skeleton armor is good for cleaning up the second area, but im very curious about the other shields, only got the first one

It's just boils down to luck of the positioning and what drops that can change a level for you. There's a few shields I've collected so far; a bone shield that launches several bones at random monsters when you're hit. A spike shield that hurts any monsters attacking and a poison shield that poisons enemies attacking you.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Was curious, are more of the posters here mobile game veterans? Was interested in thoughts from people who had avoided the platform or only had played F2P stuff, if Arcade changed any minds regarding mobile games

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
For Grindstone I was mostly using the rechargeable shield and either the rechargeable sword attack that destroys a line or rechargeable basic arrow. I used the jumpy potion a lot too.

My final go-to "loadout" was
bone shield (spike shield was OK too), vine sword (dagger that weakens all strong enemies on screen was good too), and still jumpy potion (it was nerfed from 3 uses down to 2 by the time I beat the game. I usually used the armor that weakened jerks. Vine sword attack was pretty clutch by the end to turn some unwinnable situations into victories. It made getting the missed crowns and chest after beating the game super easy too.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Played several games on my Apple TV 4 last night with a Dualshock 4.

Punch Planet, Shantae, Spidersaurs.

The input lag seems fine. Very comparable to playing wireless on the PS4, which is to say great.

The games are hella framey on this device, however. Struggling to hit 60fps it seems with rare but noticeable hitches.

Shantae and Spidersaurs look fine, if not a little softer, but Punch Planet looks like a 90's PC adventure game on it. Like sub 720p. Startlingly jaggy after only seeing clean line art for the game elsewhere (even on my iPhone 8 Plus).

Nothing unplayable, but I'm really hoping Apple announces a new Apple TV that can handle games as well as their phones do.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question: how do I pair a DS4 to my iPad if its already paired to a PS4? When I try to hold down the PS and Share buttons, it just turns on my PS4 and then eventually shuts the controller off. The light bar never flashes to indicate it's in pairing mode.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Any reason I should go with a PS4 controller over a XBO controller or vice-versa for my Apple TV?

All third party XBO controllers are wired, right? Meaning I can't pick up a third party controller on the cheap I'm guessing.

ejo

Oct 27, 2017
Hawaii
Dumb question: how do I pair a DS4 to my iPad if its already paired to a PS4? When I try to hold down the PS and Share buttons, it just turns on my PS4 and then eventually shuts the controller off. The light bar never flashes to indicate it's in pairing mode.

hold the Share button first, then the PS button together, simultaneously. at least that's how i do it.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was curious, are more of the posters here mobile game veterans? Was interested in thoughts from people who had avoided the platform or only had played F2P stuff, if Arcade changed any minds regarding mobile games

I'll be the lone dissenter in this thread and say I didn't really care for most of the games (I tried like 8 or 9). Still mostly things I would play once or twice and then never open again.

Exit the Gungeon was pretty neat but playing a game like that on touch controls is a nightmare and somehow they managed to make playing on a controller feel even worse than touch controls.

I'll probably cancel and go back to buying the one mobile game a year that I actually find interesting.

I'm still on the free trial and don't have a single Apple Arcade game installed anymore actually.

FreeangelGP05

Oct 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Any reason I should go with a PS4 controller over a XBO controller or vice-versa for my Apple TV?

All third party XBO controllers are wired, right? Meaning I can't pick up a third party controller on the cheap I'm guessing.

I think it just comes down to preference. If I remember correctly, some of the earlier Xbox One wireless controllers don't have Bluetooth in them. They required a wireless adapter for PC before. Now, I think they have Bluetooth built in.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Just completed Whatthegolf? Stuck on 99% completion though. Assuming that's due to the missing level bug. What a game. Probably my game of the year so far.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
It definitely works for me (I only played Rayman, Sayonara and Shinsekai on both devices though). Perhaps also make sure it's the same Game Center account that's being used since that's also different from iCloud.
How would I check? And how could this happen?

The Apple TV and iphone games have referred to my Game Center name several times. I tried syncing both ways, to no avail.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
So, I'm kinda interested in giving Apple Arcade a shot sometime with my IPad and my DS4, or without it, I'm flexible!

I know it's just asking for trouble to get into an RPG on a subscription service, but what games that fit that kind of genre type, like Various Daylife, would you reccomend? Anybody play any good RPG games on Apple Arcade?

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm kinda interested in giving Apple Arcade a shot sometime with my IPad and my DS4, or without it, I'm flexible!

I know it's just asking for trouble to get into an RPG on a subscription service, but what games that fit that kind of genre type, like Various Daylife, would you reccomend? Anybody play any good RPG games on Apple Arcade?
Cat Quest II seems to be a good one. I played Various Daylife for a very short while, and it didn't click for me.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Cat Quest II seems to be a good one. I played Various Daylife for a very short while, and it didn't click for me.

I was totally in love with the original cat quest, it was literally my first ever switch game, and I was positively enchanted the whole way through, I've got no doubts I'll love the sequel, but I might be picking it up elsewhere, since it's multi platform.

I am interested in Various Daylife, since I like some of the mechanics. I'm certainly trying some of the standouts people are reccomending, like What the Golf, but I'm wondering if Cat Quest 2 and Various Daylife are the only RPG's available at this time, or in the near future.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's not part of Apple Arcade, but I went an dived into the games section of the store after kinda becoming enamored with the potential of mobile games, and just wanted to remind everyone (like the App Store reminded me) that thatgamecompany's Sky is free to play on iOS and so far I think it's absolutely incredible on my iPhone 11 Pro. It has controller support though I think the touch controls work just fine if you don't have it. Game has microtransactions too but even after playing for about 3 hours, I can't say I completely comprehend what they do, and they so far don't seem at all necessary.

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking christ i just lost my save data for What The Golf for the fourth time, fuck OFF with this. I'm absolutely enamored with the game but i think i'll just wait for it to hit the PC because this is making me SO. FRUSTRATED.