• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
As expected from Apple's immense wealth, resources and mobile developer relationships to secure a solid launch library. They even went a but further and got themselves some exclusives.

This is how Google should have come onto Gaming.

Of course, its only Mobile games. But Apple its thinking ahead. They are laying the groundwork for a potential market expansion in the future if they see success in this venue.

Let's see how Sony responds to both Google and Apple today.

Sony's stream today is not some strategy level response to Google or Apple. Come on. It's a promo for some upcoming PS4 games, that's it.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
This is a cool idea but presented with typical Apple bombast [and probably an overzealous "premium" price point as all].

"Games that redefine games"...on iOS. Lol.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty cool. I don't really play mobile games anymore but this will be huge for some people.

Shadowplay

Oct 27, 2017
Ocean Horn: Wild Breath

PXCI6uo.png

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Oceanhorn 2 looks so much like BoTW. Reminds me of the Gameloft games that you can tell where their inspiration comes from.

They definitely aren't afraid of Oceanhorn's Zelda inspiration.

Shadowplay

Oct 27, 2017
I totally cant wait to play all these games on an apple device for a few years until the device no longer supports the most current os and then half of them stop working.
( This literally just happened to me with skype on my Ipad)

Hopefully most of these games wont be stuck on Apple devices...especially Fantasian

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda funny how a lot of the shittiness of mobile gaming is kind of self-inflicted by the App Store revenue/rankings model. It's incredibly bad for premium buy-once software.

Glad to see Apple hopefully fixing it, though.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
yes for iOS, macOS and tvOS. though their payment model to developers is based on time played vs upfront payment like Game Pass.

Its going to be interesting to see how future games decide to be made available. Esp as mobile games become bigger experiences like upcoming CoD Mobile, the anticipated Apex Legends mobile port and the current Fortnite port

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Music is the same price Spotify
Yeah, looking at their other announcements today they seem to be moving towards a ton of new services at actually reasonable prices (e.g., $10/mo. for News+).

It's a surprising and interesting pivot. Guess the iPhone profits officially can't hold down the fort anymore, and the Car project isn't moving along.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All of this sounds great. Finally a way for devs that doesn't want to exploit consumers to make reasonable money. Focus will be a good gameplay loop that keeps you invested forever. As should be.

Mario run should come to it.

Oct 28, 2017
That Sonic tease looks a lot like some of the trailers for Sonic Generations
when I saw it, my thought was literally "Why is there a clip of Sonic Generations in here"

like, I seriously doubt that's new footage, though I'm not able to actually go and look at a comparison right now

(also if they had new footage to tease something with I'd be shocked that they wouldn't tease it at SXSW)

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the games in that sizzle reel are necessarily exclusive - one of them looked like Oceanhorn 2, which is slated for PC IIRC. Could be mobile exclusive, I suppose.

I have zero apple devices though and that ain't gonna change for this service, especially not an iPhone. I'm in way too deep to switch ecosystems at this point.

they snuck in the "exclusive on mobile and subscription" so.. yeah

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Don't do mobile and I don't support apple. Curious to see if these are quality games or a mobile phone store for your tv. Crqzy times ahead. Will be interesting to see how thos develops

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love something like this depending on what games come to it. I hate what the mobile market has become for gaming. I know it's a little better on iOS, but that's never stopped shovelware from rising it's way to the top of the charts

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
they snuck in the "exclusive on mobile and subscription" so.. yeah

Yeah now I look at it, only the obvious mobile-focused games will probably stick to Apple alone. Really I'm just worried I won't be able to check out the new Mistwalker game.

Also the YT description says the Sonic game is ""Sonic Racing" by SEGA®/HARDlight Studios". HARDLight's the Dash and Jump studio so that'll probably be pretty simple (tho I'd love a random Sonic R sequel)

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how the video in the OP is basically 'Apple invents the indie game, these would have never been possible until now!'

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds neat. Names like Finji, Annapurna or Platinum have me excited for this.

Hopefully there is an subscription combo with Apple Music (and student discount).

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, looking at their other announcements today they seem to be moving towards a ton of new services at actually reasonable prices (e.g., $10/mo. for News+).

It's a surprising and interesting pivot. Guess the iPhone profits officially can't hold down the fort anymore, and the Car project isn't moving along.
Their iCloud service is also one of the cheapest.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
This is a cool idea but presented with typical Apple bombast [and probably an overzealous "premium" price point as all].

"Games that redefine games"...on iOS. Lol.

"For the most immersive experience...."

A lot of bs gaming marketing terms thrown into that video.

The service will do well with people already locked into the apple ecosystem.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah.
Also I think this is related to "Marzipan". Basically, even if you make game just for iOS, it will run natively on Mac and AppleTV too.

Marzipan is for UIKit based apps. Metal-based apps have had cross-compatibility since...three OS versions ago or so?

And it's still not just a checkbox - each has specific platform and interface requirements. But it definitely helps.

If you have been using any of the cross-platform mobile engines or Apple's on SpriteKit/SceneKit, you've had this since at least iOS 10, maybe earlier.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Developers artificially padding out their games? Not saying it will happen, but wouldn't a game that's 20 hours long rake in much more money than a 2 hour game? I guess you could argue pros or cons about that...

presumably people will just stop playing if the game is padded out with shit people don't find fun

i don't think padding is a concern per se so much as the system being inherently biased against shorter artsy type games, your gone homes and firewatches and the like. it might still work out depending on what the payout ends up being, because ultimately it really comes down to "cost of development" vs "how much we'll make from it" (as most things do)

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I hope this encourages more developers to bring controller and Apple TV support to their games.

I'm also assuming we'll see an onslaught of iOS games coming over to the Mac in the fall with the new Marzipan stuff rumored.

This is basically Game Pass for Apple devices, as long as the quality is there it'll probably be worth it. .

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
And what's the problem with that? You will not be spending anything.

Games on iOS will be entirely about chasing a carrot if it is ultimately what drives the most revenue. A game like Monument Valley loses a player and their source of revenue the moment they finish the content and there are no hooks to return to. While this could be a double edged sword where good word of mouth gets more people into the game, it could also result in less revenue from some of the tighter, narrative driven experiences.

I'm just speculating on what might end up happening if it is in fact paid per play time.

I believe the Apple News+ service was rumored to be in that same type of model so it wouldn't surprise me if Apple Arcade was as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.