• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Will depend on price, but I'm curious to give this a try. I've all but stopped looking on app stores since so much of it is F2P w/ IAP/MTX models.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
D2hbGmGUwAA6dLY.jpg
Apple must be throwing some real money around to get these guys on board. I just don't see how it makes sense for them based on how the money is paid out.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
The thing not mentioned in the op is Apple is really pushing their " service " platform now . Tv , games doesn't matter. This is what they have been building to.

On the tv side they are going to head to head with Netflix and cable providers.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Apple must be throwing some real money around to get these guys on board. I just don't see how it makes sense for them based on how the money is paid out.
They are. They're moneyhatting some/lots of them. Moneyhatting these devs short term means they can go long term on not paying anyone and say "you gotta be in this service like all these devs, or you're missing out" kinda bullshit.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That actually sounds not bad. Kinda waiting for a catch here...
OK, so the catch is obviously their model.

Paying a percentage by time played not only would negatively affect game design, it could also potentially kill certain games (and studios*) altogether. *by nature of what kind of games are profitable in the space, not actually kill them as in going out of business.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
As someone who's only bought about 2 premium games in 10 years on iOS, I'm very interested in trying this out.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Dam, apple devices showing graphics not possible last gen.
That fps games and ocean horn 2 look like current gen games.

Kinda odd they haven't created some decent mobile controller to compliment apple arcade.
Right. I thought about that when I was covering the news. They should have at least announced some sort of specific controller. Or maybe announce an Apple TV Gaming bundle. Wonder if we'll see that later.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, as a bunch of people said, if dev payouts are dependent on the proportion of play hours each individual game can haul out of the subscriber base, that's only going to encourage long, grindy games. Idle games are going to make an absolute killing out of this.

Feb 10, 2018
Right. I thought about that when I was covering the news. They should have at least announced some sort of specific controller. Or maybe announce an Apple TV Gaming bundle. Wonder if we'll see that later.

It's my main hurdle with mobile gaming.
Phones are now powerful enough to have great gaming experiences, but I don't want to have to caryy my Xbox or ps4 controller everywhere.
Surely apple or SOMONE can make a sleek lightweight physical controller solution for mobile.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Depending on a price point, this is something I could get behind. Never owned an Apple TV, but would gladly pick one up to play some of these games (if they indeed remain exclusive and not just exclusive to mobile devices).

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, as a bunch of people said, if dev payouts are dependent on the proportion of play hours each individual game can haul out of the subscriber base, that's only going to encourage long, grindy games. Idle games are going to make an absolute killing out of this.

The service is for premium games. Idle games already make a killing as free with IAP and ads. They have no reason to be put in with a subscription.

Nov 18, 2018
I've never really got into mobile gaming because it looks so hard to find the gems amongst all the f2p trash with obnoxious mtx, so this is pretty appealing to me. Some of the games in the trailer look pretty cool so as long as it's not too expensive I'll probably give it a shot.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on what the payout is per minute played. If that is good, then even folks who pay for a few minutes can still be good for the developer. I'd like to think that devs wouldn't exploit this in some way or try to do some crappy things to keep people playing. Personally, I don't have a problem with these subscription services as a game developer myself. It's not something I'd do, but for those trying to break in, it may be good. However, I think the same problem that plagues indie developers will still be present. Like advertising, exposure, creating a compelling reason for folks to even check out the game in the first place, and of course budget. If Apple is paying to get these games made, then that's cool, but I'm not sold on the idea that this will make things better. I guess we'll see.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Don't really like playing games on a touch screen, so not for me, but I will say I like that this service let's you download the games and play offline unlike Google Stadia. I also like that this is offered in addition to being able to buy and own the games as opposed to being a subscription-only service, again like Stadia.
Basically this is better than Stadia in every way in terms of what I care about in the future of gaming.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised EA Games is nowhere to be seem.

I'm curious about how much Apple will be pushing or investing on actual games, and what chances do we have to see games becoming real that they wouldn't be possible without this service or without Apple at all. I'm asking about EA because i find the appeal for a new NBA JAM game on this ecosystem to be a good idea!

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah a controller would be a good idea. But man what an exciting time in the industry right now.

New Switches too... Everyone doing these annoucements while the market leader stays quiet as a church mouse. I'm getting kinda scared what Sony has planned lol.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yup. I'm currently playing a gatcha game and it's so obvious that everything was designed to pad out playing time as much as possible until you pay for microtransactions.

Gacha games won't transfer to subscription services... they benefit from a maximum number of users with no paywall.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Nah, but thanks Apple. I much rather try Stadia.

Switched to Android last year, best tech move I made.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ahh the only good games sell well defense, EA is laughing at this right now on the way to the bank.

Not really. If a dev is looking to milk millions of users for a prolonged period of time they will go to free with IAP/Ads. Those games won't do near as well behind a subscription paywall. I'm pretty sure Apple is looking to pimp a more premium game experience behind the sub, not just have Idle and Gacha games on the service.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
The game still has to be good? If an indie dev makes a grindy, more boring 10 hour game instead of a tight 5 hour game, they'll get less hype, less players.

. If your short game has to be perfect to make money and your optimised skinner box can be terrible and still make more money, you'll build what reliably makes money.

This payout structure means that short games are a huge gamble. Why would most devs gamble for their livelyhood?

In other words: this is good for MP games, it's good for long, grindy RPG's. It's good for roguelikes. It's terrible for narrative focused stuff.

Oct 29, 2017
Really intriguing exclusives. Better presentation than Google's by virtue of having games to tease. Though I find it funny that Apple can't help themselves to imply they are inventing indie gaming.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I think the type of games that will benefit most from this program are quite narrow:
1a. Your game is of a genre that would not benefit from being F2P-GaaS
1b. Alternatively, your game is of a F2P-GaaS genre, but you're a developer without the scope/budget to build your game with that infrastructure
2a. You expect your LTV (lifetime value--for premium games, the initial asking price + any DLC) to be under the cost of user acquisition
2b. Alternatively, you've launched your game already, but your sales have petered out (or you never made good sales in the first place)

For us F2P-GaaS developers, we might see some impact from this, but generally the type of customers that enjoy our games aren't the type that self-identify as "gamers" and would subscribe to a dedicated gaming service. On the other hand, I think indie developers are going to greatly benefit from this, especially those in the 2b category seeking additional revenue. For those who can already launch premium apps to great success, they have no need to enroll in the program quite yet.

Something that most people don't understand about the mobile gaming business is that it's very hit-driven. On the US iOS top grossing charts (for F2P), the #1 game on the app store makes 20x more money per day than the #100 game on the app store. Paid apps are probably even less, so the business case for indie mobile games is quite low, and any additional revenue streams, assuming that you don't need to be part of the Arcade program to launch viably, would be helpful.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Did they announce a controller? If there isn't a standardized controller than this entire thing is null and void as the empahsis for development will be on trash touch screen nonsense.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No additional purchases? So that means future DLC/expansions is automatically included? Nice! No microtransactions? Nice! No lootboxes or other gambling mechanics? Nice nice nice!

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly like this better than F2P.

Why is everybody so confused though, this is basically just Gamepass for the iPhone. It's nothing like Stadia.

Yun

Oct 27, 2017
Let me use a normal gamepad please.
Because there isn't one with a full layout and mfi certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.