• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Reportedly, internal builds of iOS 13 contain an app that puts the iPhone screen into a head-mounted stereoscopic mode. The documentation, according to MacRumors, points at two modes: "worn" and "held".

A text file in the release talks about an augmented reality shell for stereoscopic AR apps called "StarBoard" and speaks about a device codenamed "Garta". The internal iOS 13 beta code is also packed with references to StarBoard, including strings like "ARStarBoardViewController" and "ARStarBoardSceneManager."

With speculation of a potential reveal next week! Looks like the 2020 rumour could be true. I can see the "20 20 vision" headlines now

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they were talking about Innovation. And for Apple that means taking something someone has already done and doing it again pretending like they came up with it.

Google Glass exists.. so this seems reasonable.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense seeing as Apple seems to always have a segment on AR during their product announcements.

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never 'got' AR. It just seems like nobody cares, who doesn't mentally tune out during the AR sections of Apple conferences?

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
I mean, they were talking about Innovation. And for Apple that means taking something someone has already done and doing it again pretending like they came up with it.

Google glass was ass and looked stupid. Plus the techbros wearing them all seemed to be assholes

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017

If these are actual AR glasses they share no lineage with Google Glass. Hololens for sure but then, the difference would be these are a viable commercial product with a good user interface. Just like every other time Apple have done this.

Even so, I don't buy it. I'll be stunned if they announce something this year. We're like 3 years off in my clueless opinion.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I never 'got' AR. It just seems like nobody cares, who doesn't mentally tune out during the AR sections of Apple conferences?

It's all been laying the ground work, refining the technology for the inevitable glasses.

Even so, I don't buy it. I'll be stunned if they announce something this year. We're like 3 years off in my clueless opinion.

I also have no clue but I agree. I assumed we were still a few years off from it being consumer ready.

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico

3aSEzed.png

The comic was released a year BEFORE the iPad Pro/Keyboard.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, the evidence is mounting. I really don't believe we will see it because its just doesn't seem technically feasible right now but if so, I'm gonna be pumped. Perhaps just a preview? But then again, it's the consumer event and they would certainly be more careful showing stuff prematurely after the airpower debacle. We will see. 8 days to go!

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Lol who gives a shit about Google Glass? Certainly not Google.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!

But Google Glass was arguably a proof of concept device in the first place, and in the end, people didn't want to wear them. At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, the ideal "Apple difference" is that they make something in a way you want to use or can get used to.

Apple's wireless fetish has definitely made for some questionable I/O in notebook Macintoshes recently, but Apple also offered W1, making pairing for wireless audio pretty non-eventful. Apple was hardly the first to make a smart watch, but most of the people wearing smart watches choose Apple's nowadays.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017

Or taking something that was half-baked before and actually using using and presenting it in an actually well-thought out way, which is literally the opposite of Google

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
3aSEzed.png

The comic was released a year BEFORE the iPad Pro/Keyboard.
The funny thing about these takes is that people think that the Apple customers assume Apple invented x feature that MS/Samsung/etc already had. Nobody thinks that. It's more about being in their ecosystem and being glad that they get to use the feature now without having to change up their entire line of products.

This sentiment has always come off to me as the "First!!1!" comments of the tech world.

There's a difference between being first to have a feature, which may still need to mature, and finding the best implementation of it down the line.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States

that's literally the definition of innovate.

make changes in something established, especially by introducing new methods, ideas, or products.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it seems inevitable, an AR glasses thing, so I'm not surprised by that. but it's going to be a tall order packing all that stuff in, I'm guessing any AR glasses will need an iPhone sidecar for processing for a long while yet.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017

Packaging technology into a user friendly interface, and making it work for a mass market *is* innovation in itself. Google Glass "exists" bit is abandonware, and never resonated with a mass market

Disco Stu

Oct 27, 2017
AR will be massive, especially for industry. The applications for it are virtually endless. When Apple gets in the game it will become much more prevalent.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Packaging technology into a user friendly interface, and making it work for a mass market *is* innovation in itself. Google Glass "exists" bit is abandonware, and never resonated with a mass market

Not to mention Google Glass wasn't true AR. It was heads up display and a perv camera.

What Apple is presumably working on is their version of Hololens.