• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
Just because he has the parts doesnt mean he knows anything about Enterprise. Linus is a hobbyist, nothing more. Remember when his RAID array crashed and just about wiped out their entire video collection. Yeah, real enterprise

Absolutely. This system is designed for high-end workstation market of which he "thoughts" carry little value for me.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Linus will absolutely be the sort to buy this Mac Pro and install every mismatched stick of RAM he owns into it to try and max it out.

Feb 1, 2018
Linus is a clown that monetizes /r/pcmasterrace neckbeard applephobia for his dumb videos. Nobody should take his content seriously, it's literally all bad faith/disingenuous clickbait. He has zero familiarity with professional equipment like this and should stick to yelling about overclocked gamer toys

i'm gonna see A LOT of post production facilities in hollywood switching over to these desktops, it's basically everything they asked for. Price isn't really an issue because they get leased en masse, written off as an expense, and then dumped on ebay after 4 years

And the Pro Display will be a serious market disruptor if they're not exaggerating the claims made in the WWDC keynote and how it outperforms reference monitors for a fraction of the price. Looking forward to real world reviews/experiences by pro colorists with it

Last edited:

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Linus is a clown that monetizes /r/pcmasterrace neckbeard applephobia for his dumb videos. Nobody should take his content seriously, it's literally all bad faith/disingenuous clickbait. He has zero familiarity with professional equipment like this and should stick to yelling about overclocked gamer toys

i'm gonna see A LOT of post production facilities in hollywood switching over to these desktops, it's basically everything they asked for. Price isn't really an issue because they get leased en masse, written off as an expense, and then dumped on ebay after 4 years

And the Pro Display will be a serious market disruptor if they're not exaggerating the claims made in the WWDC keynote and how it outperforms reference monitors for a fraction of the price. Looking forward to real world reviews/experiences by pro colorists with it
It's not outperforming reference monitors on every front - in contrast to what Apple wants to make people think.
It can only go to 1600nits. Sony has consumer TVs out that go to 4000 which is needed to reach some Dolby HDR standard. It's contrast is also nothing to write home about as 1000000:1 is a rather basic contrast ratio, where oleds have a >billion to one. P3 color space is already on its way out since rec2020 with its wider spectrum is taking over. The crowd that needs reference broadcast monitors will stay with the 49k monitors I think. This monitor is competing with a certain bracket of monitors. Don't really know how it fares there.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
Most of Apple's "Radeon Pro" cards are essentially consumer GPUs with custom firmware to gain access to extra features.
It's not really fair to compare them against "real" Radeon Pro cards since the hardware is different (ECC memory for one thing) but at the same time, it does give them the advantage of being able to offer cheap GPUs with access to features that you would be unable to get at that price point otherwise.
Not all Radeon Pros (and Nvidia Quadros, for that matter) offer ECC memory. That feature is usually reserved for higher end workstation cards, lower end does not have it.

For example, Radeon Pro WX7100 does not have one.

Quadro RTX 4000 does not have ECC memory, either.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by Trolling
Overpriced, just like all of Apple's other shit.

Feb 1, 2018
The crowd that needs reference broadcast monitors will stay with the 49k monitors I think. This monitor is competing with a certain bracket of monitors. Don't really know how it fares there.

Of course they'll stay because it's a sunk cost of sorts and it still does the job very well.

But for a smaller studio/facility that's configuring for a new setup, I think it will definitely be on their list due to the price/performance ratio. The only downside I see right now is that it's thunderbolt only so there will be a mess of IO boxes and peripherals to set up the popular SDI cable setup for color correction

For high-end photographers, 2D designers, etc the monitor is already a no-brainer

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Plus Linus would be an interesting review to watch because is not just one of the YouTubers that understand and have the spare enterprise parts laying around to build a system with the currently available 28-core Xeons to compare it to the Mac Pro, but he is one of the few that can get the the same Xeon W directly Intel, and/or has the cash to go out of his way to purchase them.
Yep, and despite impressions he is pretty fair here.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Totally, he does not use a Mac personally but has used iphones.
But he always says this and buys the products for review.
Yeah, I don't find him horrible in any regards. I don't take his phone reviews to heart since he seems to like big phones like the note and I like smaller phones.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course they'll stay because it's a sunk cost of sorts and it still does the job very well.

But for a smaller studio/facility that's configuring for a new setup, I think it will definitely be on their list due to the price/performance ratio. The only downside I see right now is that it's thunderbolt only so there will be a mess of IO boxes and peripherals to set up the popular SDI cable setup for color correction

For high-end photographers, 2D designers, etc the monitor is already a no-brainer

It's not only that's it's a sunken coast. You can't (I guess) calibrate HDR to the newest specs on that screen.

Additional downside is the massive size, broadcast monitors need to fit in smaller studios or mobil broadcasting vans.

I guess high end photo and 2d artists would also want a good screen that has touch/pen functionality since that makes the actuall editing much faster.

It's a fucking awesome monitor and if I had the money to spare I would get it, but it's not the be all end all Apple advertised it as.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
It's not only that's it's a sunken coast. You can't (I guess) calibrate HDR to the newest specs on that screen.

Additional downside is the massive size, broadcast monitors need to fit in smaller studios or mobil broadcasting vans.

I guess high end photo and 2d artists would also want a good screen that has touch/pen functionality since that makes the actuall editing much faster.

It's a fucking awesome monitor and if I had the money to spare I would get it, but it's not the be all end all Apple advertised it as.
The more professionals comment on it, the more I wonder who the monitor really is for. Are the people commenting wrong, or did Apple fail to do some real focus testing?

Oct 26, 2017
They say the monitor can stay at 1000nits indefinitely but peak at 1600. The former isn't particularly impressive, and the latter is more than possible on higher-end TVs and other monitors.

P3 capability is getting pretty common these days too with my 2017 Macbook Retina capable of hitting 99% of it. And 6k resolution? Mastering is typically done at DCI 4k and 8k. So 6k is an odd resolution. So will 4k content scale up or can it display 1:1 (the latter is preferable as it doesn't introduce any manipulation of the image).

And this doesn't even cover the issue of SDI connections, so you can't just directly output to the monitor. You'd need an intermediary device to convert the signal.

But I also want to know about 3D LUT capability and if it supports 12 bit processing. It should at a bare minimum.

Last edited:

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
P3 capability is getting pretty common these days too with my 2017 Macbook Retina capable of hitting 99% of it. And 6k resolution? Mastering is typically done at DCI 4k and 8k. So 6k is an odd resolution.

TBF it's a workflow monitor and not a mastering one, so the logic is a full 4K display of the DCI with the Premiere toolset around taking up the rest of the screen real estate it I guess.

(Well, the logic is probably "these panels came supplied at 6K and the Premiere idea is a retrospective justification", but it's not completely stupid.)

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That stand. Jesus Christ. This has probably been posted 20x but it's still funny to be posted again

Oct 26, 2017
TBF it's a workflow monitor and not a mastering one, so the logic is a full 4K display of the DCI with the Premiere toolset around taking up the rest of the screen real estate it I guess.

(Well, the logic is probably "these panels came supplied at 6K and the Premiere idea is a retrospective justification", but it's not completely stupid.)
And why are they comparing it against that trimaster? I've always found the extortionate prices of the latter to be ridiculous but if Apple want to compare then they should make sure they're not comparing apples to oranges (Is there a pun here? I have no idea).

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
And why are they comparing it against that trimaster? I've always found the extortionate prices of the latter to be ridiculous but if Apple want to compare then they should make sure they're not comparing apples to oranges (Is there a pun here? I have no idea).

Honestly, Apple are comparing it against the Trimaster because it makes the price of theirs look more reasonable, and no other logical reason. This isn't a a mastering monitor. Not even close.

Some of the Apple fanboys (Rene Richie...) who clearly have no fucking clue what they're on about on Twitter doesn't change the above.

It's actually an interesting product, because it's sort of an "in between" monitor that sits in the middle of regular monitors and mastering ones. Nobody's really tried there before with any great push, so it'll be interesting to see if there's genuinely market there or if it falls to it's death in a chasm between the two markets.

Last edited:

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
That stand. Jesus Christ. This has probably been posted 20x but it's still funny to be posted again

The stand is definitely overpriced. But that's only funny until you realize that what they're selling is NOT a true 5K display (it's 5K2K) and Apple does sell a true 5K display by LG for exactly the same price at $1299. So... LOL?

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The stand is definitely overpriced. But that's only funny until you realize that what they're selling is NOT a true 5K display (it's 5K2K) and Apple does sell a true 5K display by LG for exactly the same price at $1299. So... LOL?

It's primarily the stand that is being made fun of, not saying that the monitor is comparable to the Apple monitor.

Oct 27, 2017

Which part? Did he misrepresent what is inside Mac Pro? Did he make mistakes evaluating motherboard design? Is he wrong on component prices? Is he wrong predicting way higher prices for high-end Mac Pros?

I think that Linus Mac Pro video is excellent, a critical look at the airflow, PCIE, power, configurations and the price evaluation. It is shorter and much more elaborate than the Keynote's presentation.

What can Mac Pro 2019 do that is impossible with similar spec Dell/HP/Custom workstations?

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

Exactly this are some really good news, cannot wait to see how studio adoption will be

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I don't know if this monitor will be worth the value, however, how are some of you who have not seen nor tested the monitor so confident in your assertion it is not worth the money?

I do think Apple was wrong for showing the monitor at WWDC, they should know better than to show anything but consumer grade products. Either that or they should stop allowing people without developer accounts to view the Keynote. (but this product isn't really for developers either, so it should have been its own thing, maybe at one of those video editing conferences they attend)

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Not all Radeon Pros (and Nvidia Quadros, for that matter) offer ECC memory. That feature is usually reserved for higher end workstation cards, lower end does not have it.

For example, Radeon Pro WX7100 does not have one.

Quadro RTX 4000 does not have ECC memory, either.
While it's true that they don't all have ECC, the cards that Apple sell are consumer GPUs branded as Pros. That should be obvious when they are priced like consumer GPUs rather than pro GPUs.
That's not a bad thing though - it's great value. It just means that you cannot make a direct comparison to Apple's "Pro" cards with other professional GPUs like the Radeon Pros or Quadros sold in PCs.
Really, most of what is offered by pro GPUs -except for the very high-end ones with hardware features like ECC memory and significantly more VRAM- is software segmentation. Both AMD and NVIDIA are basically charging significantly more for little more than a driver.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
We have a mac pro server like this at our office I think, but its job is basically to run CI. It just spends all day pushing out builds as quick as it can (and maybe running UnitTests?). Some of the work it then farms out to other machines to run on. We'd probably replace it with a Linux/Windows box if you could build iOS stuff on one, but you can't. We basically have no one maintain it, so a Hackintosh is probably out of the question as well. Its hard enough to upgrade the one we have.
Totally, he does not use a Mac personally but has used iphones.
But he always says this and buys the products for review.
He's good, and this review is fine, as evidenced by the people complaining about it having no actual complaints about the "review". You don't have to feel bad for enjoying him. Literally millions do.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
We have a mac pro server like this at our office I think, but its job is basically to run CI. It just spends all day pushing out builds as quick as it can (and maybe running UnitTests?). Some of the work it then farms out to other machines to run on. We'd probably replace it with a Linux/Windows box if you could build iOS stuff on one, but you can't. We basically have no one maintain it, so a Hackintosh is probably out of the question as well. Its hard enough to upgrade the one we have.

He's good, and this review is fine, as evidenced by the people complaining about it having no actual complaints about the "review". You don't have to feel bad for enjoying him. Literally millions do.
I am cool with liking his stuff, I do not like when it does a bit Dudebro at times.
I do feel he is pretty fair tho.

Feb 1, 2018
Ugh Linus

Not sure which channel is worse, his or unbox therapy.

Unbox is definitely worse, since he's a paid shill ON TOP of being a fucking clown. At least Linus isn't getting paid by OEMs to wax poetic about their devices and insult the competition.

The final boss of insufferable greasy anger-culture youtubers is Louis Rossman though

What can Mac Pro 2019 do that is impossible with similar spec Dell/HP/Custom workstations?

Encode prores in davinci resolve :p

Answer a call from your client while you're working on their project :P

Quiet fans too, this is big for sound studios and music production, it's partly why everybody in that industry is on mac aside from latency-free coreaudio on macOS

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you dislike either? Along with Matt2D I find them to be some of the most honest and relatable tech reviewers

Linus is just unlikable because he is very click-batty, but that Mac Pro video was pretty low key.

The Unbox Therapy dude is just a huge shill and not someone I would call honest or relatable.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the claims of Lou being a shill founded on?

Did you see the way the dude went crazy with the Galaxy Fold? I've never seen so many videos on a product before when the negative news was coming out through other outlets. He barely commented on the issues with it, at least not on his main channel. I don't need concrete evidence to see when someone is a glorified marketing guy on YouTube.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While it's true that they don't all have ECC, the cards that Apple sell are consumer GPUs branded as Pros. That should be obvious when they are priced like consumer GPUs rather than pro GPUs.
That's not a bad thing though - it's great value. It just means that you cannot make a direct comparison to Apple's "Pro" cards with other professional GPUs like the Radeon Pros or Quadros sold in PCs.

there is literally no hardware difference

the radeon pro wx 7100 sold in workstation PCs is just as much a "consumer 580 branded as pro" as the radeon pro 580x is

Feb 1, 2018
What are the claims of Lou being a shill founded on?

In general, he tends to way, way overblow and sensationalize the "flaws" and design quirks of iOS devices while totally downplaying the ones in, say, Galaxy devices, and glorifying those devices instead.

His videos for the Fold were also characteristically shilly and VERY suspect since he never actually talked about the massive flaw that eventually led to the device's discontinuation; the dude was releasing videos about case options when everybody else was covering the actual screen issues that ultimately led to the device's cancellation. The tone of his videos were just way different and clearly designed to sell a device, not review it.

It's ok to be a shill but you should at least disclose who's paying you

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Did you see the way the dude went crazy with the Galaxy Fold? I've never seen so many videos on a product before when the negative news was coming out through other outlets. He barely commented on the issues with it, at least not on his main channel. I don't need concrete evidence to see when someone is a glorified marketing guy on YouTube.
Hes a dude who likes tech... That's pretty obvious from all his weird one off videos of gizmos. And he wasnt the only one liking it, even the negative reviews from the verge talked about a lot of the points they also liked. There wasn't a universal hate for the Fold, more like a universal disappointment because it's quite good and about 85% of the way there.

So again, where does the Lou is a shill stuff come from? Because he liked the Fold and made videos about a unique/interesting piece of tech? And yes he went into the criticisms many times.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
there is literally no hardware difference
I think we're largely in agreement. Apple are getting a great deal on their Radeon hardware and actually do seem to pass those savings on to the customer.
Meanwhile AMD/NVIDIA are happy to screw people over if they're buying nearly the same hardware on PC - at least when comparing the lower-end cards which are lacking additional hardware features like ECC memory.
But they're not the same cards, even if the hardware is very similar - just like you can look at a consumer GeForce and Quadros and say "those are basically the same card" while the Quadro costs 4x as much.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019

In general, he tends to way, way overblow and sensationalize the "flaws" and design quirks of iOS devices while totally downplaying the ones in, say, Galaxy devices. His videos for the Fold were also characteristically shilly since he never actually talked about the massive flaw (like everybody else was) that eventually led to the device's discontinuation. The tone of his videos were just way different and clearly designed to sell a device, not review it.
I might be missing it in that article, but where does it say he is paid to promote Samsung? I don't see his videos as any different from the multitude of other tech reviewers on this front.

Feb 1, 2018
I might be missing it in that article, but where does it say he is paid to promote Samsung? I don't see his videos as any different from the multitude of other tech reviewers on this front.

For brands, unboxing videos present a prime opportunity to organically integrate strategic copy and brand messaging that's shared with each YouTuber's subscriber audience. For Samsung, top YouTube channel, Unbox Therapy, takes his nearly 4 million channel subscribers through an exclusive sneak peak look at the brand's latest product, the Galaxy S6.

Oct 28, 2017
Hes a dude who likes tech... That's pretty obvious from all his weird one off videos of gizmos. And he wasnt the only one liking it, even the negative reviews from the verge talked about a lot of the points they also liked. There wasn't a universal hate for the Fold, more like a universal disappointment because it's quite good and about 85% of the way there.

So again, where does the Lou is a shill stuff come from? Because he liked the Fold and made videos about a unique/interesting piece of tech? And yes he went into the criticisms many times.
But why not even talk about the flaws? If you love tech, then stuff like those critical flaws are important to you to talk about.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
And how does that mean he is a shill? And how does a 4 year old video reflect on now? I'm not trying to be obtuse this logic just doesn't seem to add up to me. Does GameInforner having an exclusive look at MUA 3 make them marvel and Nintendo shills?

But why not even talk about the flaws? If you love tech, then stuff like those critical flaws are important to you to talk about.

He did? Multiple times. The folding phones interest me a lot, and unbox therapy had the best videos on it so I watched most if not all of them from him on the folding phone. He talked about the design flaws many times and stressed that this device was a flawed device not ready for prime time in nearly every video.

It's why the shill argument doesn't make sense especially in regards to the Fold. He basically said in every video that this device was not a good buy for anyone lol.