• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
This seems to be geared towards production houses for media and music production companies. Basically they know those people want a new Mac Pro and will pay for it, and you know there's nothing wrong with that.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would have bought at 50% of this price. We came to a point where a lot of "pros" are already doing their work on macbooks so the handful of people who need 1000 tracks in Logic should not have been the baseline here. Would actually prefer a updated 2013 mac pro over this (was actually price combative when it came out).

A slightly more pro Macbook pro level of pro would have been cool for the mac pro.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Well at least we now know why the justice department is investigating. Even they were like WTF?

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
From appy

hJmxPV7.jpg

Px5KMLN.gif

9CG87Zq.jpg

NSr7IZe.jpg

kUWjLgX.gif

8sHDc6b.jpg
Ok, so it seems 110°C throttle town was about right. How can a trillion dollar company not get cooling right?

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
Fair enough. Who is it for, then?

What professional would spend 1k on a stand? I would imagine someone who actually needed something like this would be tech savvy enough to construct something similar for a fraction of the price.

Corporations and big production houses don't purchase equipment by buying customize ones. Just throw all consumer logic out the window.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
What really confuses me about this scenario is how the Mac Pro division can go all out with the features designed specifically to please power users, while on the laptop side, all we get is a keyboard that might not break this time and the same shitty touchbar.

This seems to be geared towards production houses for media and music production companies. Basically they know those people want a new Mac Pro and will pay for it, and you know there's nothing wrong with that.
There is something wrong with actual specs they are providing at the base price, regardless of how nice the rest of the tech is.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Corporations and big production houses don't purchase equipment by buying customize ones. Just throw all consumer logic out the window.

Okay, forget about constructing one.

Wouldn't there be cheaper options for completed builds? Unless your argument is that this is the price you pay for Mac OS.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes they tend to skimp out on purchases which is why a lot of enterprise is still stuck on XP or what the fuck ever. I can hardly imagine a company that's salivating at the prospect of replacing their workstations with $6000 monstrosities. There isn't infinite money for infrastructure upgrade you know.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apple said on stage they're undercutting similar PCs by 2000 dollars so I'm not sure why era is mad
They must be referring to the modularity aspect which is indeed a rarity in the space and you probably have to pay extra for experimental enclosures and parts.

In terms of raw power, however, this thing is about 200%-300% what you would look spend to make a similar build right now, with no fancy modularity.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
Yes they tend to skimp out on purchases which is why a lot of enterprise is still stuck on XP or what the fuck ever. I can hardly imagine a company that's salivating at the prospect of replacing their workstations with $6000 monstrosities. There isn't infinite money for infrastructure upgrade you know.

I know, but I've worked for a FE500 company before and one department be getting new gear every 8-12 months, so idk anecdotal evidence that there are companies that upgrade often.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
They must be referring to the modularity aspect which is indeed a rarity in the space and you probably have to pay extra for experimental enclosures and parts.

In terms of raw power, however, this thing is about 200%-300% what you would look spend to make a similar build right now, with no fancy modularity.
no, they were showing some Dell tower that is "comparably specced"

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
STARTING at $5999. DUDE. Am I Christopher Nolan or something? I don't think I'm Christopher Nolan. Or am I? No.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

How is this really any more modular though then any well designed PC case that allows you to easily remove all the panels and then just an atx board with lots of pci/sata/USB, etc. ?????

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Design is growing on me, it's nice to see the modular Mac Pro back. The price makes sense from a business perspective, this is a very "niche" product for a very specialized market and that justifies the higher price. Less units sold, but make up for it with higher prices. People who want this will pay for it.

It's not meant for your average consumer at all.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay, forget about constructing one.

Wouldn't there be cheaper options for completed builds? Unless your argument is that this is the price you pay for Mac OS.

It should be in line with HP/DELL/Supermicro workstations at similar hardware (and without special promotion) : 8 PCIE slot, 6 channel 12 DIMM 2933Mhz ECC, very last Xeon model with 25Mo cache etc. You have to carefully compare each spec sheets.

Where you are right is that with other brands, there is plenty more choices for a lighter desktop configuration, when Apple only target the top of the line with this form-factor.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If anything it shows me that MacOS isn't dead yet. And that's great!

Selling this thing with a 256Gb SSD is Apple at it's finest though lol

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is this really any more modular though then any well designed PC case that allows you to easily remove all the panels and then just an atx board with lots of pci/sata/USB, etc. ?????
I'm going to assume it's a bit easier and there's no cabling involved and you just slot stuff in.

Also you can change the casing?

IDK.

I do like the wheel feature. I have a hard time moving my case around.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's one thing to say "hurr durr Apple tax", but a 256GB SSD in a $6k machine? A thousand dollar display stand?

That's not just Apple tax, that's a complete joke.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Alright so maxed out Pro would be:
28-Core 2.5GHz Intel Xeon W
1.5TB 12 128GB DIMMs
AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo
Two Vega II GPUs, each with 64 compute units and 4096 stream processors
Expansion Slots
Eight PCI Express expansion slots
Two MPX Modules or up to four PCI Express card slots
Three full-length PCI Express gen 3 slots
One half-length x4 PCI Express gen 3 slot with Apple I/O card installed
Afterburner
ProRes and ProRes RAW accelerator card
PCI Express x16 card
4TB SSD
Two 2TB modules

Guess the price

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
The monitor is actually not outrageously priced compared with what you get from eizo and similar. It's just things like VESA adapter and a fucking stand are accessories included in a box. I couldn't believe they made point to show that the screen can rotate and be positioned in portrait mode, of course. My $400 monitor does that too lol.

It's also misleading to compare it with Sony BVM monitor. That's a screen meant for movie production, like a real hollywood production and it's OLED and it's such an accurate EOTF behavior that you will never find it on anything else including this Apple screen. Those are literally handpicked and handmade in Japan, I bet these are not.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Plenty of people have the money to drop on the latest Mercedes-Benz, I'm sure these people could get a 'car' much cheaper if they wanted too. But they don't have to because they can afford the latest Mercedes-Benz.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Design is growing on me, it's nice to see the modular Mac Pro back. The price makes sense from a business perspective, this is a very "niche" product for a very specialized market and that justifies the higher price. Less units sold, but make up for it with higher prices. People who want this will pay for it.

It's not meant for your average consumer at all.
This was my original reaction, but I really can't excuse how Apple always cheaps out on their GPU and HDD options. 256GB and an RX 580X for $6K is some clown shit regardless of whether their corporate buyers will pay for upgrades.

Alright so maxed out Pro would be:

Guess the price

Over 100k. The only reason you're buying 12x128GB of RAM is if you need some kind of server farm.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
In the workplace, time is money.

If you're a company with a team of 10-30 post-production editors or modelers and so-on each making $100-150k annually, dropping ~$150k to get 15 completely blazing Mac Pros isn't really that big of a deal.

This isn't meant for you to buy and keep under you desk at home.