• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
ipad-air-2019-800x625.jpg

Macrumors said:
Apple today introduced an all-new iPad Air with a 10.5-inch display, A12 Bionic chip, and Apple Pencil support.

The new iPad Air is available to order on Apple.com and at Apple Stores and select resellers starting today with 64GB and 256GB storage. Prices start at $499 for Wi-Fi models and $629 for Wi-Fi + Cellular models in the United States.

Apple also introduced a new iPad mini with the A12 Bionic chip and Apple Pencil support. The 9.7-inch iPad was not updated today.

ipad-mini-5-apple-pencil-800x420.jpg

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
And no Airpod 2 announcement. I am sad....(would like to upgrade my current airpods)

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
So the new Air is basically last year's Pro (which I own and adore) minus the ProMotion display and quad speakers.

And.

NO CAMERA BUMP

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
VERY happy that the iPad mini is not dead- it's been my sweet spot as far as sizes go. My 2 year old Mini 4 is still going strong, but i'm super glad that when this one gives up the ghost there will be a newer piece of hardware for me to buy!

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Finally an ipad mini refresh. A shame it's not usb-c, but I'll take it.

Edit: Although UK pricing is a bit more expensive than I was expecting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Infinity Times Two
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The 10.5 inch iPad Pro is no more.

Macrumors said:
Apple has stopped selling the second-generation 10.5-inch iPad Pro, originally released in June 2017, after launching a new 10.5-inch iPad Air today.

The 10.5-inch iPad Pro had remained available from $649 following the release of 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models in October 2018, but it has been replaced by the 10.5-inch iPad Air with a cheaper starting price of $499.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
hmmm... "announces".

They basically just stealth-dropped them. Great hardware refreshes, and absolute no-brainers for anyone who needs to replace their old(!) iPads. But nothing to get all that excited about or feel the need to upgrade if your current iPad's still performing reasonably well.

Great mobile hardware at a decent price.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I loved the original iPad Air and never understood why they never updated the line. Need to resist as I really don't need it.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Wait how does the new iPad Air compare to the discontinued iPad Pro 10.5? They have refurbs of those available for less than the new air.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$400 for the iPad Mini? God damn, that's more than the 10" model. I was hoping to see it get refreshed but not if it's going to be priced through the roof.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Ipad Air again? Apple's gotta clean up its design and naming pipeline because outside of the larger pro which deserves its title, the 10 inch ipads are broken into 3 categories now that seem arbitrary since they are all basically the same, lol

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda odd they would announce this a week before their event. The event must have no hardware at all

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
New Air is £300 cheaper than the newest Pros. Old design for sure but it's quite tempting given the price gap is that big.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
im never buying an ipad again. i cant even use my ipad 2 anymore because no apps in the store are compatible anymore.
what a ripoff

The iPad 2 from 2011? I'm still using my iPad Retina from 2012, which seems to still update most of my apps although I can't update the iOS anymore and it's cracked all over the place from drops over the years.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
im never buying an ipad again. i cant even use my ipad 2 anymore because no apps in the store are compatible anymore.
what a ripoff

Do you apply this logic to other pieces of hardware? Like, a Playstation 3 sold in 2011 can't play any of the games released today on PSN... Like, RDR2, Last of Us 2, etc.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Actually, with todays changes, there is only one 10.5 inch iPad, namely the new Air.

True, but also semantics because the 9.7 'discount' ipad still exists. You show up at the Apple store and at first glance you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the three even with the larger screen sizes in the pro/air line. And I have a sneaking suspicion performance wise they are probably all within the same speed as far as tests are concerned.

Oct 27, 2017
The leakers got it backwards it seems. They said the new laminated model would come later and the new cheap model would come first. Regardless, the new Air seems nice but not having pro motion sucks and keeping both speakers on the same side is stupid. With trade-in and my military discount, I can get one for 300, so I'm doing it. I like my 2017 iPad but the lack of lamination really ruins the iPad experience for me.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
What does this have over the $330 iPad?

-0.8" larger screen,
-A10 Fusion vs A12 Bionic
-Air has true tone display
-32 GB vs 64 GB base storage
-Air weights 0.3 lbs less

Is there anything else?

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Very interested in the 10.5" Air.

Think it's time to replace my trusty Air 2, which is still fast enough but the new Air will obviously be even faster (not sure on how much faster, but the A12 vs A8X seems quite the jump).

Not to mention the additional years of support it will presumably get. I'm just glad it kept the headphone jack.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
My concern regarding the Air is that I could spend 500 euros more (new pen + much more expensive cover) and the device would feel much more future proof.

But, realistically, this iPad does anything I ever want and I already have the pen and the Smart Cover is much cheaper. The screen is much better than the iPad so there would be an upgrade there.

the design, quad speakers and proMotion are really nice but everything about it is so much more expensive...