• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
We've known for quite some time now that there will be two refreshes this year. Ming-Chi Kuo is a pretty reliable source.

As for why they'd do that, idk.
I'm wagering that's the 2021 model getting extra prototyping. 5G is change worth extra antenna testing. I would assume micro-led's warrant extra testing too.

However, it could be like the iPhone X in that it represents a big jump, will have a matching big price, and the features will trickle down the line over the next year or so.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly better mouse support and a better PowerPoint/Word update to make them more on par with the desktop version would make stay switched to iPad as my work computer as a waffle between getting a new MacBook next fall. Hopefully this keyboard and it's support helps with things.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would this be a better buy compared to the base MacBook Pro?
Depends on your needs. If you're web browsing, doing e-mail, word processing, and streaming video/audio, the MacBook Air is the better bet. MacBook Pro would be a better fit if you're editing photos/video/audio, don't value mobility as much, and are more of a power user.

Mar 3, 2018
Depends on your needs. If you're web browsing, doing e-mail, word processing, and streaming video/audio, the MacBook Air is the better bet. MacBook Pro would be a better fit if you're editing photos/video/audio, don't value mobility as much, and are more of a power user.

Hmm makes sense. My friend does mostly the former so I'll tell them just to get the air.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Should have expected it, but I am kind of sad that keyboard isn't compatible with my 2018 iPad Pro ☹

I want the floating hinge, track pad, and backlit keyboard.
It is though as was pointed out to me in the Apple OT. iPad Keyboards - Select

Also that clown naming needs to stop.

Compatible with
  • iPad Pro 12.9‑inch
    (3rd and 4th generation)
  • iPad Pro 11‑inch
    (1st and 2nd generation)

Even as somebody who is following along I had to think twice what year is what generation etc.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
A lidar scanner? like I'm very interested in why and how good it works, have a regular laser scanner myself.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Cool, seems like they're announcing the products that were rumored to be announced on March 31 early (and spread out?)!

Wanna know why? Sounds like all adults in the US are about to get a $1000 check. Guarantee that's why these were released early (if they are actually early).

Apple doesn't even really need ARM MacBooks with this iPad now.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
How much does apple gives for tradebacks? or would it be better to sell it in ebay or similar sites?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
They can fuck off with the keyboard price. That's something that would actually push me to upgrade from my 2017 iPad too...

I know some of you Apple fanatics here will give in and then later defend it to make you feel better.

Still don't see a reason to upgrade from my current iPad Pro. Screen performs just as well at 120hz, the performance is still flawless for my uses, battery is still great, fingerprint authentication I still like for when I'm using it face down, and still has a headphone jack for max flexibility.

The only thing I envy about the new models is that the design looks incredible. I would consider getting a newer model in the future for mini LED as long as I can get it on sale for a good price and sell my current iPad for a reasonable price (hopefully $300?)

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
These iPads are cheaper than the previous iterations I think. I priced an 11 inch Pro with 256 Gb of space and it was $1,099 a week ago. I might get my first iPad now.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
The keyboard looks awesome but how could they possibly charge $449 CAD? That's more than an iPad.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for iPadOS 13.4 with true mouse support instead of the weird half measure we have now. Couple that with hopefully some desktop extending in iPad OS 14 to compliment the external monitor support, and I'll finally be able to fully replace the ole laptop for good, by just plopping the iPad in a docking station when needed.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Well I don't see a need to upgrade my iPad Pro 2018 but I was holding out on picking up a keyboard case since this one was rumoured for a long while...

But £300 ?!

You've got to be joking...

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I usually defend Apple's pricing. The iPhone X. AirPods. Hell, even the new Mac Pro.

But $349 for a plastic, disposable, one-device keyboard?! Lol

I'll probably get one :(

Oct 30, 2017
Curious about the A12Z, maybe it has more RAM?

8 GPU cores rather than 7, though that just makes me wonder if the A12X had one core disabled for binning. otherwise not sure what the difference is — maybe higher clocks. weird they wouldn't go with A13 ARM cores at this point.

ordered the heck out of the 11-inch anyway. keyboard looks awesome.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus that keyboard is insane but looks so good. I held out on the old keyboard because I was hoping this was going to come out and I'm so glad I did. I'm getting my wife's 2018 11" Pro when she gets her new 11 inch and I'll be getting THAT 11 inch when the next one comes out so I might just buy the keyboard considering I'll have an 11" iPad for at least 3 years.

Just having backlit keys is a massive improvement over the old keyboard. That gorgeous cantilevered stand and trackpad layout is just delicious gravy.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
This looks amazing. If Apple ever allows people to build code on iPad's and do serious development work on them, I'd love to switch permanently.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Very curious how this will impact my 2018 Pro usage. I also wonder if there will be a consensus cheap trackpad people like.

WAIT: Does the magic keyboard work with the 2018!?

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we get a price drop on last year's model. Really want one but the price is currently a bit too steep.

Mar 3, 2019
The only way this does anything is if they improve mouse support by LEAPS and BOUNDS. Right now its pretty crappy, remoting into work with it sucks as there is no right click, middle mouse wheel and its finicky

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Been waiting to get my first iPad with this new model. Magic Keyboard pricing is quite ridiculous, though. It should be less than $99. I wouldn't get it in the first place anyway.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Lol

what's funny is my 2017 pro is still rocking but i would like an upgrade. But since i do a bunch of music production on it, ill end up updating to the non-pro ipad since it still has the headphone port

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Still waiting for Ipad Mini Pro. : / Big Ipad is nice, but cannot replace office laptop with smartcard reader for me. Smaller ipad would be at least a more convinient option for "passive" tasks on travel, do not need large screen to read stuff and answer e-mails. Will probably be forced to buy iphone 12 max or whatever the largest size phone will be called, even though I dislike carrying such a huge block with me at all times.
Same. Waiting on the rumored iPad mini and iPhone 8 refreshes this year.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought my pro 12.5 FOR the folio keyboard because it has my favorite typing action ever- will this new keyboard work with existing pro? The previous situation on pencils and keyboards is disgraceful.

mouse support has been fantastic although I wish I could disable the touch icon completely.

the file system is still hilariously half baked though. It is to files as Gimp is to coherent intuition.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Man I really wish I didn't cheap out and get the 64 GB 2018 Pro.

Thinking of maybe trying to do a swap for a 2018 256 GB 12.9" and getting this new keyboard.

I bought my pro 12.5 FOR the folio keyboard because it has my favorite typing action ever- will this new keyboard work with existing pro? The previous situation on pencils and keyboards is disgraceful.

The new keyboard will work with the 2018 12.9" and 11" iPad Pro.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the material is better than the silicone on the current one. I've had two and they age like milk.