• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Are there any downsides to trading in with the AT&T trade in promo ($1000 bill credit for 36 months)? I'm planning to upgrade my XS Max because I always wake up to having my battery drained to half health every morning when I go to sleep fully charged

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
Think I'm finally going to upgrade my X to a standard 13. Was thinking of saving some money and going for a 12 but there is only a £50 difference between the 128gb models.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Man that new mini is kinda hot. Too small to be useful to me but hot hardware nonetheless.
The purple one is so tempting but I already have an iPad Pro and buying another iPad just to use as an e reader or something doesn't seem like a good use of money. Still damn tempting though.

I feel like the 120hz for the Pro models is a bigger deal than most think it is.
I think it's a big deal for a minority of people who care about it. I don't even noticed going back and forth from my iPad pro to my phone, and I'm not using a pencil on my phone.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
The more I try and find an excuse to upgrade my 12 the more I realize I don't really need a 13.

Ended up picking up the new iPad though. Will give my A12 iPad to my nephew.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Colors on the watch see bizarre. No silver and space grey? I'd probably get the stainless steel again anyway but still

nexus

Oct 25, 2017

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Colors on the watch see bizarre. No silver and space grey? I'd probably get the stainless steel again anyway but still
I'm kinda happy to see them branch out tbh. Space grey is boring af and silver is just as bad. Midnight and Starlight are fine replacements for them, the other colours will probably be back next year anyway. Apple is happy to have a slew of mismatched stuff anyway if the gold iPhones and MacBooks are anything to go off of.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more I try and find an excuse to upgrade my 12 the more I realize I don't really need a 13.
Kind of in the same boat, although I'm wavering on switching from a 12 pro to a 13 pro max. A bigger screen is a bit tempting considering how much time I spend browsing online, but everything else is pretty meh.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of in the same boat, although I'm wavering on switching from a 12 pro to a 13 pro max. A bigger screen is a bit tempting considering how much time I spend browsing online, but everything else is pretty meh.
I have an 8, and I'm deciding whether to upgrade to a 13 or 13 pro. Either way it'll be bigger. I just can't decide if it's worth it to get the pro for the better camera, since I take a lot of pictures these days. But otherwise I don't know what's compelling about it. Is it a waste of $200?

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's still scummy. Especially the wording they used. There are much better ways of going about this.

I wonder how much they offered. I'd probably have taken it anyway unless it was only a few thousand.

They removed his app from the app store for a total BS reason (because it's a "keyboard for Apple Watch", even though it was there for years), and then released a direct copy of his keyboard. If that's not an anticompetitive behavior, I don't know what is. They even had the audacity to type "Copy that" on the watch when they announced this feature...
I don't know if he has any patents, but his keyboard is not the same as Swype. it detects taps on the screen, and after the word is complete uses AI to guess what word you were trying to type. Not sure if his keyboard also allowed swiping to produce that kind of effect.

Third party keyboards are allowed in iOS (Google has Gboard on the App Store) and it is unclear to me what APIs need to be leveraged for watchOS so I can't speak to that rejection either. The WaPo article not going a bit deeper on the rejection was odd.

If Apple was actually using App Store rejections as a method to strong arm him for contract negotiation purposes, then certainly he has a case. But that would be unusual for Apple. Apple aqui-hires teams all of the time, Dark Sky being one of them. The article leaves off how the negotiations concluded, so its unclear if Apple lowballed the guy, didnt make an offer, or he demanded a number Apple wasn't willing to pay and built their own (if they weren't already). Apple Watch 7 would have been in the works for quite some time, with screen size changes locked in sometime in 2020 and the OS feature buildout starting then too.

If this is an instance of overzealous and inconsistent enforcement of App Store rules (but not overtly directed to hard him), then he also should object and do so loudly, and potentially has a case (which he's already filed). Apple certainly has work to do on this front. He should also complain about Apple's poor curation of the App Store, but someone creating a similar app in and of itself isn't news. This would be like the folks behind PUBG suggestion Fortnite should be banned because it does the same thing.

If this is an instance of Apple enhancing a feature in an OS and taking it to the next reasonable state, influenced by third party tools or not, baring patents, isn't news. There is even a term "Sherlocked" for having a third party tool obsoleted by an OS enhancement.

I think the news is that they kicked him off the store for having a keyboard (yes that was their reason, apparently having a keyboard violates the Watch rules) before making their own. In normal Sherlocking scenarios, the software is still available.

More to the point, it apparently started being "against the rules" only after they've started working on their own identical keyboard. For years before that, it was just fine.

It definitely does.
Seems like his tweet was a little misleading and Apple points to them having addressed that letter back in 2019. And that his update after that letter was accepted, and there are now several keyboards allowed for Watch. His lawsuit is also old and his app was promoted by Apple in 2020.

Apple has now told AppleInsider that a letter Eleftheriou posted on Twitter after the "California Streaming" event, dates from 2019. At that point, FlickType had been removed for contravening the App Store's then-rule about Apple Watch keyboards.
However, after Eleftheriou resubmitted the app to the App Store review team with an explanation of its accessibility functions, Apple says that the update was allowed.
Also, later in 2019, Apple says it separately revised its App Store guidelines to allow keyboards for the Watch. This was in response to how the Apple Watch Series 4featured an increased screen size.
Now, says Apple, there are multiple Apple Watch keyboard apps available on the App Store. And FlickType itself was highlighted in a Top Apps of 2020 promotion on the store.

I'm not saying Apple is always fair or makes logical rejections, but it does seem like a lack of context is drumming up a lot of favor for the dev.

Oct 26, 2017
Think I'll just go for the 12 Pro Max and skip the 13 Pro Max.

The 120 Hz means nothing to me as I really watch or play anything on my phone.

edit: prices for 12 pro max are still at $1100. No price drops?

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
In for the 13 Pro Max. Good god this colour is beautiful

gsmarena_010.jpg

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Damn kinda tempted to get the Mini now that it supports the pencil 2 and trade in my Air... but I can't decide if I actually prefer the larger size or not.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017

It's easy to spend other people's money I realize, but the savings on the 12 Pro would have to be steep for me to not get the 13 instead. Better screen brightness for outdoor use / HDR, better camera, etc. alone would be worth it for me.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Yeah the only way I'd upgrade is if it's to the 13 Pro Max for the bigger screen.

Oct 26, 2017
It's easy to spend other people's money I realize, but the savings on the 12 Pro would have to be steep for me to not get the 13 instead. Better screen brightness for outdoor use / HDR, better camera, etc. alone would be worth it for me.

Yeah I'm kinda confused as to why last year's model hasn't dropped in price. All things being equal, the 13 makes sense.

I haven't bought a phone since the X so if their business practices have changed, it's all new to me.

Keeping my 12 Pro for another year but I'm planning on picking up the new iPad for my mom for Christmas. She spends most of her time watching YT or using FaceTime with my aunt on her phone so the 256GB (she likes taking photos) should be good.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

edit: prices for 12 pro max are still at $1100. No price drops?

they're killing the 12 pros I thought? So apple won't sell it and your options will be retailers discounting end of line stock

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
At this point I think my hype for the iPhone 13 has died down. So I'm gonna concentrate more on the MacBook updates next month (hopefully), the Apple Watch when it comes out and maybe if they put out a purple iPhone 13 next year I might jump. But the iPhone is my last concern at this point. My 11 still works great. Now if I still had my 7+ it would be a no-brainer. But really all I'm missing out on right now is the flat iPhone 5-esque edges and the smaller notch. Also MagSafe and 5G. Those are all the bulletpoints that I would look at when the time comes. I'll decide when my carrier actually lets me order one. Last time I bought a phone I was on Virgin and it took like 4 months for them to offer the 11. Now it's Boost. I don't know their schedule. But it's probably the same turnaround time.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
The iphone 13 colors look awful is there any hope they release a different color later?
The Purple 12 was released in April. 7 months after the 12 was released. I'm hopeful for a purple 13 but at this point it makes no sense why they wouldn't just offer the purple 13 out of the gate. It's probably not coming. But the point is there's always the chance. But I can't think of another time that they just offered a new color out of nowhere except when it took a while for the white 4 to be available, but that one was just a delayed color we already knew was coming. Purple 12 was just a surprise new color.

But it's April. At that point there's 5 months until the new phones come out. It's like why wait that long?

That said, I'm starting to agree the new blue just isn't as good as the old blue.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Purple 12 was released in April. 7 months after the 12 was released. I'm hopeful for a purple 13 but at this point it makes no sense why they wouldn't just offer the purple 13 out of the gate. It's probably not coming. But the point is there's always the chance. But I can't think of another time that they just offered a new color out of nowhere except when it took a while for the white 4 to be available, but that one was just a delayed color we already knew was coming. Purple 12 was just a surprise new color.

But it's April. At that point there's 5 months until the new phones come out. It's like why wait that long?

That said, I'm starting to agree the new blue just isn't as good as the old blue.
My gf was really lucky that the 11 released with purple.
For her I really wish that it will be a release color again for the 14 or 15.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Prepped for Friday - loan approved, trading in my 13 for the blue 13 pro 128GB

would have liked a product red option but my current 13 is white so going slightly different

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
My gf was really lucky that the 11 released with purple.
For her I really wish that it will be a release color again for the 14 or 15.
Cases are always an option.

I got a (RED) 11. So I decided to just get the clear Apple case so I could still see the red color through it and bought a cheap $3 adhesive wallet case to stick on the back. Since it's stuck to the case it keeps the phone from being covered in the goop for when I resell it or whatever.

If I had to buy a 13 right now I would probably choose a case color first then a phone color to complement it. Either that or just get (RED) again and forego a case and just get a MagSafe wallet case in Sunflower. The red and yellow together would look amazing. Unless it doesn't exist anymore. Choosing colors is hard. lol