• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 11 pro max, want to go smaller at this point, boy chonky. Was thinking going to a 13 pro, but that 13 pro max battery....

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Not as bad as the move from 4 to 5 I guess, which changed literally nothing except turned on a software-side change to the screen regulator for always-on…

but this is a disappointing Update and the screen bezel revision isn't good enough to me. I will skip this despite coming into it ready to upgrade if the case was updated. The pebble shape from 2018 needs some help… she's at iPhone 6 levels of old to me.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Why does the basic iPad still not support Apple pencil 2
It's the cash cow model. It needs minimum R&D, and technically does anything needed in modern iPad. It keeps up without much effort from Apple, it has the old keyboards and pencil, and thus it stays cheap and appealing for schools and companies in bulk.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I am really considering the iPad mini. Very nice redesign

Essentially a shrunk down Air. Great update, I would have been all over it had I not purchased an IPP for work.

Event sucked big time. Too bad I HAVE TO upgrade this year as my launch iPhone X's battery is literally going to explode any day now. It's swollen so bad that I can literally see the insides of my phone from the gap it's created between screen and body lol.

Otherwise I would definitely wait for the next one.

You really should go get that battery replaced. Doesn't sound safe.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
It's the cash cow model. It needs minimum R&D, and technically does anything needed in modern iPad. It keeps up without much effort from Apple, it has the old keyboards and pencil, and thus it stays cheap and appealing for schools and companies in bulk.
Ah, figures ☹️

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So I inherited my grandfather's iPad (think its one before current). I find it kind of uncomfortable to use one handed. I think mini (not anytime soon, but in future) would be a much better replacement. Is it still suitable for comic/magazine reading?

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Underwhelming upgrade cycle this year for sure. With the severe chip shortage and all the other pandemic-related challenges I suppose it makes sense to play things safe this time around though.

I'm most disappointed in the Series 7 not having the redesigned case like the rumors. The shrunken bezels are nice but it doesn't seem like that big of a deal, since the way watchOS is designed with black backgrounds and such, the bezels basically blend right in anyway. I feel like the only time you'd notice that is maybe when browsing Photos (which I don't do on my watch). I'll have to see when the release date is announced and after reviews, but I might just stick with my Series 4 for another year.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm really disappointed by the color selection this year. The 12 was much more colorful and after the new iMac I was expecting much more. That's a real bummer

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
It's disappointing that the regular iPhones are a lot more different compared to the Pro than before. The camera, battery life and processor differences seems pretty big.

I'm leaning towards the 13 Pro but I'm really tempted to wait a few months and perhaps get a iPhone 13 Mini and iPad Mini combo on a discount instead of the Pro for not much more money. I think I'd probably use the iPad Mini way more than an iPhone when I'm mostly at home now.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
So I did the Apple Upgrade Program for my 11 Pro, but didn't end up getting a 12, so it's paid off. However, the Apple Store app is not giving me an option to enroll in the Apple Upgrade Program again, the option is just straight up not there. How do I do AUP?

EDIT: figured it out. I guess it won't give me the option if I choose trade-in
I was hitting this exact same issue. I was going to call their sales people to see if there was some way to trade-in and get into AUP. Failing that, I might just trade-in my 11 Pro, and buy a 13 Pro with the Apple Payments, skipping Applecare+.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Rumors are not worth following at this point.
All the major rumors this year were completely wrong. Wheres Satllite access? Where's the flat edges series 7? Where's the AirPods 3?
the 14 will have the notch.
You're not wrong, and I don't disagree. Would the satellite thing be one of the many, many features they just gloss over for people to discover later? I feel like they would highlight it if it were there but they've left out a ton of shit from their presentations in the past. AirPods 3 could just as easily be part of the MacBook presentation that's supposedly happening next month/November… if those rumors were even true either 😒

Wasn't there a report recently that they've been flooding the channels with fake rumors to try and pinpoint leakers?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The focusing switching on the Pro is amazing. I really don't get how that works.

Got a blue 12 Pro Max, don't know if I'll upgrade. I'm thinking I might want to go white if I do, to match all my other recent Apple stuff. I don't really like the sierra blue I think.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Touch ID has been rumoured to return every year since it was removed. It's not coming back.

Fairly incremental for the main line but the pro models are a decent upgrade. Pro model is easily the one to get, you're getting quite a bit more for a couple hundred. Kind of wish there was some hands on with the blue pro. The promos images can be deceptive and it's between that and the graphite for me.

I'm really disappointed by the color selection this year. The 12 was much more colorful and after the new iMac I was expecting much more. That's a real bummer

More colorful sure but they were more pastel and looked kind of cheap in person. A fair number of people complained about it. This years colors seem like a return to a more standard selection.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I don't know what the fuck they're thinking. Carriers will offer 24 months financing, so at least we have that. But this is ridiculous, the whole point of financing is to have a low monthly payment, not to pay it in as few months as possible. If I wanted to pay it off ASAP, I'd buy it out in full!

What utter buffoonery.
Ya I just don't like that if you go through the carriers you're basically guaranteed to pay $20 extra per month on a plan than if you do BYOD to something like Koodo or Fido. I'm already spending so much for the phone that I just can't justify another $480 in plan fees for a plan I simply don't need. I like being able to not have a contract for my plan so I can be a mercenary as much as possible and jump for better deals.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
It's really really noticeable if you do any sort of design work on it, which is really what the Pro is aimed for anyway.
Ehhhh I dunno. I have an iPad Pro and an iPhone XR, I do art and animation on my Pro and I can't tell for shit that there's a difference. I didn't even realize the Pro was 120Hz until I looked it up today and I've had it for like two years. Maybe it's more noticeable if you're using the Pencil? In which case I guess I'd have to look at the Mini and Pro side by side since there's no way to compare that with the phone. /:

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Ehhhh I dunno. I have an iPad Pro and an iPhone XR, I do art and animation on my Pro and I can't tell for shit that there's a difference. I didn't even realize the Pro was 120Hz until I looked it up today and I've had it for like two years. Maybe it's more noticeable if you're using the Pencil? In which case I guess I'd have to look at the Mini and Pro side by side since there's no way to compare that with the phone. /:

Uh yes, with the pencil. I mostly do UI and UX work. I tried the pencil 2 on 60hz and it was pretty bad in comparison. Being able to quickly write notes, diagram and sketch with an app like Notability is fantastic.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The one thing I don't like about the design is the camera bump color. Hope it was all black like on iPad Pro.

demo-ipad-pro-11inch-wifi-128gb-silver0l34.jpg

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Gonna go from a 12 to a 13 Pro just because of the battery life, but the cameras are a nice touch. After the trade in it's only a few hundred bucks and I'll keep it for a few years so it's worth it to me.
That iPad mini is awesome too

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Uh yes, with the pencil. I mostly do UI and UX work. I tried the pencil 2 on 60hz and it was pretty bad in comparison. Being able to quickly write notes, diagram and sketch with an app like Notability is fantastic.
Oh god that sounds horrible. Wtf Apple?! Why. Is there like visible lag between when you move the Pencil and when the line starts? I had an old Windows tablet that did that when I'd try to draw in Flash and it drove me fucking crazy. Well, that puts me off on wanting the Mini 6… maybe they'll get it right with the 7 /:

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Oh god that sounds horrible. Wtf Apple?! Why. Is there like visible lag between when you move the Pencil and when the line starts? I had an old Windows tablet that did that when I'd try to draw in Flash and it drove me fucking crazy. Well, that puts me off on wanting the Mini 6… maybe they'll get it right with the 7 /:
There is no visible lag. I have the 6th gen iPad with the old pencil and it works fine. If you've never used a ProMotion iPad with a pencil you'd literally never even notice a difference at all

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

Don't get me wrong it's definitely usable, but you can't go back after writing on 120hz.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I found this iPhone Pro update was as good as usual.
- 120hz
- 1000 nits for better outdoor usability
- significantly better battery
- macro photographie
- bokeh in videos
- smaller nodge
- did I miss something?
With expected gpu/cpu, lenses upgrades (and a signifiant bigger image sensor), iPhone 13 offers just as much incentives as past iPhones, doesn't it?

Last edited:
OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
There's a difference but I also gather that people generally never think about until they have already used a device with 120hz to compare. It's really not bad or it would have been some known meme all along. The experience is good on either.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Don't get me wrong it's definitely usable, but you can't go back after writing on 120hz.

A slow motion video is a ridiculous way to assess this and is for people who want to notice it. It's far less drastic in use, especially since you also don't typically do rapidly changing squiggle directions.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
Why do people want Touch ID so much? As a person with iPad Air and XS Max, I would like my iPad to have a FaceID. Is it because of the masks?

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Pro or Pro Max y'all?

I'm tired of crab clawing my 11 Pro Max in bed. Shits annoying

Pro Max is too big, but that battery life is just too good. :( Pro Max for me I think.

I've done the biggest iPhone every single year since they introduced them with the 6 Plus (except the X which only came in one size). I have a 12 Pro Max right now.

For the first time ever, I'm thinking of "downsizing" to the regular iPhone 12 Pro.

I have pretty large hands, and even so, have always found the Plus/Max cumbersome. Laying in bed, trying to text with one hand, or even hitting something toward the top of the screen. But every year there's been some benefit to the larger model; and if not, at minimum, the battery has always been better.

But now... I'm at home all the time? I'm pretty much never on a plane. I'm rarely out shopping for extended periods of time. Sure, I go to the park or whatnot, but that doesn't really eat away at battery because I'm enjoying the park. Outside of MAYBE two or three days since the 12's launch, I've always gone to bed with more than 20% battery. Usually 30-40%. And I'm a relatively heavy user. I don't stream or play games, but I send hundreds of texts and emails a day on it, and for work, usually take a couple hours worth of calls.

Maybe this year I'll go regular 12 Pro just to try it out....

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Yup, damn shame, love my 12 mini and would have loved to upgrade it every 2 years, gonna snag a 13 mini next year and see how long I can make it last with just battery replacements (unless a foldable iPhone or something comes out, just no interest in the full size phones)
I just bought a 12 mini and love it, but Ill be damned if I can't make it last 3+ years.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, starting next year I want to go back into photography after a long break. but I don't want to carry my Fujifilm XT-1 everywhere. I also have a reason now to make way more videos and pictures.
I guess I'll buy an iPhone 13 Pro in blue. Seems like a huge upgrade over my Xr.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It's an absolute crime that they're still selling the AppleWatch Series 3.

That thing needs to be restored and repaired for every WatchOS update by now.
Just got my pre approval done for 13 Pro Max Graphite 128GB. Time to retire my XS.

Roll on Friday for actual preorder!

upgrading from an XS as well. Still unsure about whether to get the Pro or the Pro Max.
Seeing how even the 'regular' Pro is:
* an increase in display size (compared to the XS)
* an increase in battery life (compared to the XS)
* with feature parity to the Pro Max

i'm wondering if i'm gonna go for the smaller Pro ...

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
upgrading from an XS as well. Still unsure about whether to get the Pro or the Pro Max.
Seeing how even the 'regular' Pro is:
* an increase in display size (compared to the XS)
* an increase in battery life (compared to the XS)
* with feature parity to the Pro Max

i'm wondering if i'm gonna go for the smaller Pro ...

Yeah I guess it just comes down to whether you want a larger phone or prefer something that will be a little easier to use one handed.

I was a little apprehensive about jumping from a XS to a Max but after trying it out the 12 Pro Max in stores and a friends I settled on it for the bigger screen and battery life.

Which is strange because I used to think I didn't like big phones, which is why I went for the XS rather than the XS Max, I guess times change…

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been tempted to go Pro over regular iPhone, but the 13 Pro having much drastically better cameras all around, plus way better battery life, make it more tempting than its ever been