• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you buy a $700 Apple console with a terrific launch line up?

• Yes(I've explained in my comment)

• No

• Not in a million years(I've explained in my comment)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could see the Apple VR thing becoming a (really) premium gaming device for people who have a lot of money to drop, but that's obviously VR gaming, not standard vanilla TV console.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
If it sold for 700, that means it would be valued at around 200, which means it would most likely be underwhelming. No thanks.

Dinzy

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Apple is one of the worst companies. They innovate by finding ways to be even less customer friendly while convincing their fanatics they are great. Things I hate, no SD slots, proprietary charger that has special tech in it and in the phone that can and does fail just so they can charge more for fucking cables, and the fact that iPhones integrate so poorly with outlook that in 2018 I could not cancel a meeting when my wife went into labor, nor could I simply reply to all invitees to let them know. Shit company, shit products, shit software, just shit. Their controller would probably only have 1 button, would include yet another ridiculous charging cable and you'd have to jailbreak the console if you wanted to do anything on it that wasn't part of a revenue stream directly to Apple.

Oct 30, 2017
Nope.

We have already enough home consoles in the market + their already exsisting devices running games through apple store is more than enough for them and the market itself.

They are selling iPhones and iPads already like hot cakes, why they need to create a dictated gaming device?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If it had a stellar launch lineup, yes I'd buy it. I already like Apple hardware a lot. They've done very little to prove to me at this point that they have an interest in becoming a place where my gaming tastes would be satisfied -- Arcade is a good value but it is also largely limited to a particular range of gaming experiences that aren't necessarily up my personal alley.

But, if we're supposing against all odds that they do in fact bring together a solid launch lineup (however vague that descriptor is), I'm there to try it out.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Apple already runs the largest gaming platform on the planet. I don't think they believe the future of games is a set top box.

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
Good studios are not created over night so unless they buy a bunch of good studios I'd say no

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
An Apple made Switch-style device with the M1 in it would legit be pretty great.

Probably not worth $700 though, unless every third party under the sun was on board with it.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The only thing Apple makes that I like is macOS (posting this comment from a MacBook Pro). I find the rest of their software, services, and products to range from meh to terrible, so I can't see myself ever buying a console they make.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Nope. Other than my MacBook Pro, I hate the Apple ecosystem.

And developing games and App did not changed my mind, far from it

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'll buy whatever has great (exclusive) games, period. I'm not missing out from my hobby's best titles because it's paywalled behind a new system.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
If Apple gets in on this, they'd make it a lifestyle device and make you want to buy it. But I would expect it to be an entertainment hub and not just a gaming console.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
Now this is what I wanted to hear as well. Yeah that would suck. I was thinking more about the technology trends because sooner or later they're going to have a the hw to support such initiatives especially for cloud gaming. I wish Sony had some way of investing more into cloud gaming since thats the inevitable future instead of relying on MSFT. Because I think Sony would be the most vulnerable to such a move.
in terms of the players in the cloud space #1 is Amazon and #2 is Microsoft and the rest are divided and sony cloud is small and not adaptable to their needs both Amazon and Microsoft do IAAS and PAAS and public and private and hybrid clouds which only companies who have sunked billions of dollars in the space has achieved so unless Sony has billions of dollars to waste they are better off buying from Microsoft or Amazon.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be curious to know what they would be offering that isn't already covered by Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Maybe if they did something like buy Sega? Who knows. Anyway, I'm not excited about the idea, but would stop short of saying it's an outright bad thing.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Given the extremely low likelihood of this happening and the extremely high likelihood of this thread leading to platform wars, we are electing to close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.