• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
9to5mac.com

Craig Federighi vehemently speaks out against iPhone sideloading in Web Summit keynote: 'Sideloading is a cybercriminal's best friend' - 9to5Mac

Last month, it was announced that Apple senior vice president Craig Federighi would attend and speak at Web Summit 2021,...

Last month, it was announced that Apple senior vice president Craig Federighi would attend and speak at Web Summit 2021, which takes place in Lisbon, Portugal. In a keynote delivered today, Federighi vehemently spoke out against legislation that could force Apple to open the iPhone up to sideloading…

As you might expect, Federighi repeatedly noted that iOS is far less prone to malware and other attacks than Android. He even put up a slide directly saying that there are "5 million Android attacks per month," according to one security study. Meanwhile, Apple employs human app review and a single point of distribution approach to limit malware.

Federighi repeatedly referred back to a house analogy during the event. He likened buying an iPhone to buying a "great home with a really great security system," but then a new law gets passed that forces you to weaken the security of your home.

"The safe house that you chose now has a fatal flaw in its security system, and burglars are really good at exploiting it," Federighi said.

The Apple executive also warned that the legislation comes as there have "never been more cybercriminals" determined to access the private information on your iPhone. "Sideloading is a cybercriminal's best friend," Federighi said. "And requiring that on iPhone would be a gold rush for the malware industry."

The Mac is a cybercriminal's best friend, I guess.

🤡

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Sideloading is like riding shotgun with Satan, or so I hear.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Five million attacks a month? Out of how many phones? That actually sounds like a decently low number to me.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
If all your good security is on a fence/front gate, and your internal security sucks, then your security sucks overall.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Federighi repeatedly referred back to a house analogy during the event. He likened buying an iPhone to buying a "great home with a really great security system," but then a new law gets passed that forces you to weaken the security of your home.

"The safe house that you chose now has a fatal flaw in its security system, and burglars are really good at exploiting it," Federighi said.

That's a weird analogy since the user gets to decide whether they want to sideload an app or not.

It's really more like letting a homeowner decide to invite anyone they want into their house, rather than requiring them to have all of their visitors go through a (paid) police screening first.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
MY MUM TOLD ME SHE DID COKE IN THE 80S CUZ EVERYONE ELSE WAS DOING IT, THATS LIKE SIDELOADING NOW, TOO MUCH PEER PRESSURE

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I used an apk store to download the official Nintendo app to my android phone because it is not available in my country's playstore. Guess I'm a criminal now. I didn't even do it to an Apple!

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
You can technically side load on an Xbox, and yet the security is yet to be compromised at all. Maybe the problem is just your phone, Federighi.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
That's a weird analogy since the user gets to decide whether they want to sideload an app or not.

It's really more like letting a homeowner decide to invite anyone they want into their house, rather than requiring them to have all of their visitors go through a (paid) police screening first.

Yeah I'm sure he knows that, but would side step introducing owner/user choice into that topic any way he can for obvious reasons.

Still though, the sheer boomer energy on that statement makes me laugh. Really reminds me of those old poli campaigns of the late 80s/early 90s

OP
OP
Ambitious

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah. Using his analogy, buying an iPhone is like buying a home with a security system that decides on its own who gets in and who doesn't, with no way to override it. And if your best friend visits you to have a few beers with you, and the system says "no", you're out of luck. Like what kind of moronic system would that be? 😂

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
This is obviously true.

I want a phone that can sideload (which is why I buy one that can), but I don't want my parents having a phone that can sideload.

Edit: I'd love it if iOS devices offered a bootcamp like solution for installing other operating systems, including those which would allow sideloading.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
Shit argument IMO. Bothers me that it works on so many people.
Just do it like android. Have sideloading disabled by default, make a toggle in settings. Reduce security at your own risk.

I like their hardware, but I hate Apple's blatant bullshit.

Last edited:

jleo

Aug 12, 2021
Everyone is against Apple here, but the fact is that opening your pretty walled garden does mean more risk. Can't have rogue apps doing shit on your iPhone if you don't even let them in in the first place. Not saying their walled garden approach is the best, but there it is.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Biggest load of crap I've ever read. Android doesn't have malware because its opened. It has Malware because has a global marketshare of fucking 70%+ and Google makes it easy by not actually policing their own storefront. Two things that Apple has going for them because nobody is saying they have to stop policing their store. Just they have to let people shop at another store if they want to.

This analogy is pure shit because said safe house would only have a fatal flaw if the owner of the house (iPhone) decided they wanted to leave the door unlocked (sideload).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ambitious

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone is against Apple here, but the fact is that opening your pretty walled garden does mean more risk. Can't have rogue apps doing shit on your iPhone if you don't even let them in in the first place. Not saying their walled garden approach is the best, but there it is.

If the only thing protecting users from malware is App Review, then iOS doesn't have any security to begin with.

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I agree with Craig here but he does raise some good points.

Juste image if you can sideload an alternative store, you can bet that Facebook will be happy to leave the office App Store. You can say bye bye to the app tracking transparency feature for exemple.

It is my choice to use an iOS device. If people want to sideload apps, they can choose another platform.

OP
OP
Ambitious

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017

Juste image if you can sideload an alternative store, you can bet that Facebook will be happy to leave the office App Store. You can say bye bye to the app tracking transparency feature for exemple.

It is my choice to use an iOS device. If people want to sideload apps, they can choose another platform.

If you don't want to sideload, you have the choice to not sideload.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

Not really, because the app tracking feature is an iOS feature, it doesn't matter if Facebook came from the app store or a third party store.

Side loading on Android devices is disabled by default, and only gets enabled if the user says so.

Also, if side loading is a criminals best friend, then everyone shouldn't be surprised when Apple locks down macOS programs to programs from just the App store (we know people will lose their shit if that happens).

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he''s not necessarily wrong... side loading is objectively less secure. Google doesn't default side loading off and serve you the big scary warning about how dangerous it is for no reason. Where Apple is wrong is that users should be free to accept those risks 🤷‍♂️

Oct 30, 2017

it's certainly true that iOS is more secure than more open OSes, but that's really a false dichotomy. let's ask, uh, apple: https://www.apple.com/macos/security/

The technically sophisticated runtime protections in macOS work at the very core of your Mac to keep your system safe from malware. This starts with state-of-the-art antivirus software built in to block and remove malware. Technologies like XD (execute disable), ASLR (address space layout randomization), and SIP (system integrity protection) make it difficult for malware to do harm, and they ensure that processes with root permission cannot change critical system files.

sounds useful!

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't want to sideload, you have the choice to not sideload.
Not really. To stay with the Facebook example, in some countries communications are done principally via FB apps, so you'll either have to download it via the alternative store or not download it and be cutoff from talking to your friends and family.
So, that's not a choice at all.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Five million attacks a month? Out of how many phones? That actually sounds like a decently low number to me.

Yeah that isn't a big number.

I work security, blue team, for like ten years.

I'm not sure what it is right now but a typical device or firewall that becomes internet facing starts getting hammered on the moment it appears on the network.

Typical graphs show millions of attack attempts per month. It doesn't mean anything. A lot of those are automated vulnerability scans, auto-spreading stuff like Wannacry, hell Conficker is still bouncing around out there and it only works on XP.

Meaningless number.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Not really. To stay with the Facebook example, in some countries communications are done principally via FB apps, so you'll either have to download it via the alternative store or not download it and be cutoff from talking to your friends and family.
So, that's not a choice at all.

If Facebook wanted to pull their apps and put them on an alternative app store to get around the platform holder, they would have done it on Android years ago, and yet, for some reason, they haven't.

They're not going to remove their apps from the App store if Apple allowed sideloading.

The amount of people who would enable sideloading is so miniscule that it wouldn't be worth it for Facebook, or any other app developer to leave the App Store.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

People keep saying this, but in practice, this is something that just doesn't happen.

On PC, one of the most open platforms out there, nearly all game developers try to get their games on Steam. The visibility is important, as does catering to the desire many users have to keep all their games in one place.

On Android (where you CAN sideload, and which does have alternate stores), there's an incredibly miniscule amount of apps you would be forced to go to other stores for.

And many of those apps are things that simply wouldn't be allowed on the Play Store by Google... which proves just how much sideloading increases consumer choice. E.g. adult / 18+ app stores can exist on Android.

Last edited:

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
If Facebook wanted to pull their apps and put them on an alternative app store to get around the platform holder, they would have done it on Android years ago, and yet, for some reason, they haven't.

They're not going to remove their apps from the App store if Apple allowed sideloading.

The amount of people who would enable sideloading is so miniscule that it wouldn't be worth it for Facebook, or any other app developer to leave the App Store.
Apple are way more restrictive than Google though. Plus, FB has a beef with Apple for some times now because they keep adding restrictions on how apps like Facebook can collect data.
It's only an hypothetical anyway, but that´s a scenario that would't surprise me at all.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's me, I have Android, where it's allowed.

lCXf5ft.gif

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Apple are way more restrictive than Google though. Plus, FB has a beef with Apple for some times now because they keep adding restrictions on how apps like Facebook can collect data.
It's only an hypothetical anyway, but that´s a scenario that would't surprise me at all.

Facebook isn't going to want to do anything to jeopardize their userbase and pulling their apps from the App Store will do just that. Just like people didn't buy into Fortnite not being on the Play Store (which is why Epic had to come crawling back), people aren't going to sideload Facebook. There's a good chance the exact opposite will happen, people will bitch at Facebook and they'll come crawling back to the App Store.

Even if Facebook were to pull their apps from the App Store, they'd still have to deal with the data restrictions that Apple implemented. Those are baked into the OS at an OS level, not an app level. It doesn't matter where the app was installed from, those restrictions still exist.

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
Facebook isn't going to want to do anything to jeopardize their userbase and pulling their apps from the App Store will do just that. Just like people didn't buy into Fortnite not being on the Play Store (which is why Epic had to come crawling back), people aren't going to sideload Facebook. There's a good chance the exact opposite will happen, people will bitch at Facebook and they'll come crawling back to the App Store.

Even if Facebook were to pull their apps from the App Store, they'd still have to deal with the data restrictions that Apple implemented. Those are baked into the OS at an OS level, not an app level. It doesn't matter where the app was installed from, those restrictions still exist.
Agreed about Fortnite, I forgot about that episode.

However, that's not true that all restrictions are baked in at the OS level, some are policies of the App Store itself. For example the nutrition labels and the no fingerprinting rule.

Aug 30, 2020
Apple has had so many of the worst types of bugs lately that put Spectre to shame. Do you have any idea how many zero click remote execution flaws have come up in Apple OS level software just in the last 2 months? People were able to send a iMessage to someone to completely pwn their iOS device! That makes MS and Intel look like Neo!

Apple's security is absolutely abysmal.

Basically they need to seriously shut the fuck up. They're full of shit.

OP
OP
Ambitious

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed about Fortnite, I forgot about that episode.

However, that's not true that all restrictions are baked in at the OS level, some are policies of the App Store itself. For example the nutrition labels and the no fingerprinting rule.

What kind of restriction do you think the nutrition labels are?