• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
The Verge spotted the claim in Apple's 37-page opposition brief to the injunction sought by Epic

If Epic were truly concerned that it would suffer reputational injury from this dispute, it would not be engaging in these elaborate efforts to publicize it. From all appearances (including the #freefortnite campaign), Epic thinks its conduct here will engender goodwill, boost its reputation, and drive users to Fortnite, not the opposite. That is not harm."

Apple also claims that Epic doesn't make a lot of money from Fortnite on iOS

Epic has said Apple is the "smallest piece of the pie'" when it comes to revenue.

and here's the big one:
Epic started a fire, and poured gasoline on it, and now asks this Court for emergency assistance in putting it out, even though Epic can do so itself in an instant by simply adhering to the contractual terms that have profitably governed its relationship with Apple for years.

9to5mac.com

Epic Games lawsuit is just a publicity stunt, says Apple - 9to5Mac

In part of Apple's defence to the Epic Games lawsuit, the Cupertino company effectively accuses the Fortnite developer of filing the case as a publicity ...

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, they're not lying, I just want to see how much fuel both of them will waste to keep this fire going.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yes, they're absolutely right

And still, a fire started because Apple had built a forest and never kept it proper

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. Seems like a lot they put on the line just for PR. Apple just wants to cast doubt on the lawsuits legitimacy and discourage future lawsuits from other devs.

Jun 13, 2020
Sure, but if Epic wins this fight then that'll benefit more than just them
Obviously I'm all for developers getting more revenue, but Epic was never going to win this. There was no way this legal battle would end with Apple's cut being lowered, and Epic probably knew it. I'm leaning towards this being a publicity stunt and nothing more.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017

And still, a fire started because Apple had built a forest and never kept it proper
Too right mate!
I was in California a few weeks ago, walking through some of its forests.
They were proper shite.
So I got out my gasoline and set fire to the bloody lot. Serves them right I say!

#Freeforestswithfire

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
"For reasons having nothing to do with Epic's claims against Apple, Fortnite's popularity is on the wane. By July 2020, interest in Fortnite had decreased by nearly 70% as compared to October 2019. This lawsuit (and the front-page headlines it has generated) appears to be part of a marketing campaign designed to reinvigorate interest in Fortnite."

Shots fired.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Sinophobic conspiracy theories
I love that we're this far out and some of you still think this is about Epic Games trying to get a better cut for developers and not Tencent using Epic as a proxy to destabilise their US competitors.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017

Lmao. Epic walked into the forest by their own will and poured gasoline all over and light it on fire. Now the forester (Apple) told them to GTFO, don't start a fire, adhere to the rules, if you want to enter to play again in this gigantic forest. But Epic says "no", we want to play in the forest again with gasoline and a lighter.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are right. What's next? Not paying ms and Sony their 30% cuts?

This is nonsense. Apple has cultivated this userbase and you gotta pay them to access it. Their entire business model depends on this. If epic wants free access then they can make their own hardware and see how that goes.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not for either company but I'm more than happy for Epic and its hypocritical, poorly planned and fanbase manipulating lawsuit to get smashed into the dust.

The fight against Apple needs to happen but not by Epic and not with their reasoning. The most likely outcome I can see for this is Epic settling, Fortnite going back up on iOS, and Sweeney putting up a tweet lamenting how he tried but Apple and the courts kept his small company from winning.

Azelia

Banned
Aug 27, 2020
I agree with Apple on this one, it was clearly a publicity stunt, Epic is not the victim they're portraying themselves as.

Oct 28, 2017
They are right. What's next? Not paying ms and Sony their 30% cuts?

This is nonsense. Apple has cultivated this userbase and you gotta pay them to access it. Their entire business model depends on this. If epic wants free access then they can make their own hardware and see how that goes.

Isn't a phone and a console different for its primary application?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're not wrong here, though I still find it funny how the way they sign off on it still reads all "just shut up and fall in line"

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
They're right on that part, Epic started this.

But much like Mayweather vs McGregor they're both garbage, it doesn't mean it's not entertaining to watch them beat the shit out of each other.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I'm with Apple in this but I hope after this whole thing settles they lower their cut to 20% so we might not hear people complaining about it anymore

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully some small, humble developer with nothing but altruistic intentions will rise up to challenge this trillion dollar company.
Epic stand less of a chance because they're a billion dollar company. They're trying to argue against something they would happily instate themselves.

I'm not saying a single small company needs to take the hit. It needs to be a lot of them looking into changing things without simply storming the gates of Apple's castle.