• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.bbc.com

Obesity: Appetite drug could mark 'new era' in tackling condition

Some of the people on the 15-month trial lost more than a fifth of their body weight.

The drug works by hijacking the body's appetite levels and mimicking a hormone - called GLP1 - that is released after eating a filling meal.

The trial gave some people the drug and others a dummy injection, while both groups were given the lifestyle advice.

The results, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, showed people lost an average of 15kg on semaglutide compared with 2.6kg without.

However, 32% of people lost a fifth of their body weight with the drug, compared with fewer than 2% on the dummy treatment.
Prof Rachel Batterham, from UCL and one of the UK researchers, told the BBC News website: "This is a game-changer in the amount of weight loss it causes.

"I have spent the last 20 years doing obesity research, up until now we've not had an effective treatment for obesity apart from bariatric surgery."
Prof Sir Stephen O'Rahilly, from the University of Cambridge, said: "The amount of weight loss achieved is greater than that seen with any licensed anti-obesity drug.

"This is the start of a new era for obesity drug development with the future direction being to achieve levels of weight loss comparable to semaglutide, while having fewer side-effects."

Dr Duane Mellor, a dietician and from Aston Medical School, said: "It is useful to have a potential option to help people lose weight, however we need to acknowledge that weight loss will still need lifestyle change, and that any medication or change in lifestyle can bring potential risks and side-effects.

"So, it is always wise to speak to a health professional before trying to lose weight."

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It sound good, but I'm worried about how it might be abused. I hope I'm just being a paranoid debbie downer.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dr Duane Mellor, a dietician and from Aston Medical School, said: "It is useful to have a potential option to help people lose weight, however we need to acknowledge that weight loss will still need lifestyle change, and that any medication or change in lifestyle can bring potential risks and side-effects.

Headline: MAGIC WEIGHT LOSS PILL WORKS MIRACLES

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
It sound good, but I'm worried about how it might be abused. I hope I'm just being a paranoid debbie downer.

No, that was my immediate reaction too.

Assuming this pans out, I'd hope they only administer this to people who are working with a nutritionist... but it does seem like a potential boon to help a lot of unhealthy folks.

Maintenance of the lower weight is a big issue too...

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Wow

That's a pretty effective tool. Losing 28kg over 1 year and 3 months is pretty wild.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
If people just put the weight back on after they stop taking the drug, is it really all that helpful? Doesn't sound any different from any weight loss plan in that regard. People still need to overhaul their diets and look at the way they consume their foods.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Very unfortunate situation of many drugs really.
But if this can help obesity this could be (for lack of better words) huge.

Doctor says it at the end though, it really shouldnt be considered a 'cheat':

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
If people just put the weight back on after they stop taking the drug, is it really all that helpful? Doesn't sound any different from any weight loss plan in that regard. People still need to overhaul their diets and look at the way they consume their foods.

I'd say this is potentially even worse than your average yo-yo diet... because it would potentially retrain you to eat for an artificially suppressed appetite.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
It's a tool. I'd like to think their natural appetite will be lowered since they have been eating considerably less the whole time and so won't eat at the same volume. Will have to see how the same participants have fared in a years time.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Curious what the rebound effect is and how the body reacts coming off of manipulating the hunger regulating hormones.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
A lot of people just need help to get to a place where they are less obese and they can maintain that level afterward.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
It's a tool. I'd like to think their natural appetite will be lowered since they have been eating considerably less the whole time and so won't eat at the same volume. Will have to see how the same participants have fared in a years time.

The article's one example isn't very optimistic on that front.

Mar 8, 2020
Washington State
That's a given and I'm sure there will be people who shot right back up but fort those who are overwhelmed at being heavy and just can't seem to get to a healthy weight too then tackle maintaining it, this will be very helpful.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
nuts to this i'm buying amphetamines

Ngl when I was put on Concerta I lost like 30 lbs in a month which then made me underweight but at the same time, I was eating what I usually did.

Not sure if it's a good thing or not but the weight will come crawling back if I don't take the medication regardless of eating or not.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i doubt it's a bad thing considering you're taking medication for a reason and are assumedly getting enough nutrition, it's basically always associated with living longer to weigh less (though i think technically it's also associated with a longer life to actually eat less too)

not like you got a tapeworm, just burnin

Salamando

Oct 25, 2017
So, to lose 1kg/2.2lbs a month, you'd need to get a shot every week? Guess that's better than surgery?

This is less of a magic bullet and more of a crutch. People who use it and notice what proper healthy portions are will have success. I'd suspect most people would rebound though...

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
So, to lose 1kg/2.2lbs a month, you'd need to get a shot every week? Guess that's better than surgery?

This is less of a magic bullet and more of a crutch. People who use it and notice what proper healthy portions are will have success. I'd suspect most people would rebound though...
You can give yourself the shot. Side effects doesn't seem too bad either, but the cost is really damn high. Maybe when it gets to generic status it might have a wider adaption.

Salamando

Oct 25, 2017
You can give yourself the shot. Side effects doesn't seem too bad either, but the cost is really damn high. Maybe when it gets to generic status it might have a wider adaption.
That makes more sense, but there's still something that doesn't feel quite right here. How easily it could be abused for vanity, people becoming dependent on it?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Appetite can be suppressed with discipline and consistency, people just have shit discipline (I'm no exception).

If this helps some, it's a net benefit, of course.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not even sure if you'd need to take them off it since if it just makes them eat less you might be able to get to a point where it reaches equilibrium since your bodies metabolism is designed to resist changes to some extent. Overweight people will often burn calories faster because of that extra weight so I wouldn't assume the rate that they burn calories is equivalent throughout the whole period. As long as the equilibrium ends up in a healthy area you might not need to go off them (though of course it might still be beneficial to do so because being on less meds if you can is generally better)

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Well considering I need to lose weight and vacuum my apartment, sign me up!

Aaron-Paul-You-know-its-good-because-its-blue-bitch-1440717331.gif

Oct 31, 2017
Appetite can be suppressed with discipline and consistency, people just have shit discipline (I'm no exception).

This. It takes me about 4-5 days to change my appetite but those 4-5 days are ABSOLUTE FUCKING HELL and I have to basically be mindful at all times otherwise I can potentially turn my brain off and mindlessly eat my entire fridge

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I don't see how this will actually help people except for those that desperately need to lose weight in a short amount of time. The effectiveness will wear off soon or immediately after ceasing to take the drug, and you're relationship to food will go back to the way it was before the drug. Long term weight loss is primarily about behavioral changes, this is avoidance.

I can imagine this would be good for obese people who medically would benefit from losing weight rather quickly, but I just feel like this will be marketed to a public that is often overweight because of their food choices and portion sizing, and see this as a silver bullet. Obviously, being overweight, at least in the U.S, is a far more complicated issue than just being the result of individuals' behavior, but drugs aren't going to address those issues either.

Last edited:

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This. It takes me about 4-5 days to change my appetite but those 4-5 days are ABSOLUTE FUCKING HELL and I have to basically be mindful at all times otherwise I can potentially turn my brain off and mindlessly eat my entire fridge
Exactly this. It's awful -- and inverse to the amount of work as it takes for you to change it positively, it'll go RIGHT BACK if you let yourself fall into old habits.

Man, it's crazy how accurately this describes me, too. I am currently in the process of trying to adapt back after fucking up and it's scary how easy it is to convince yourself to just eat whatever you want unless you are hyper focused not to.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
My wife has lost 83 lbs in a year and a half. Without a pill. Really wish I had her drive, she has made an incredible transformation.

It has been all diet and either walking or jogging everyday

Oct 25, 2017
This drug has been on the market for a few years, and there are other drugs like it in the same class. They're used for type 2 diabetes and have been known to be weight neutral or cause weight loss for awhile now. It seems this one causes even more weight loss than other drugs in that class, which is interesting.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

Food addiction is a very real thing for many people, especially those with severe depression, seasonal depression, etc. Stress levels contribute as well.

Saying appetite can easily be controlled with discipline is kind of brushing aside many of the underlying factors as to why people develop eating addictions to begin with.

Not every solution works for every person or situation, and the more tools that exist out there the better.

People aren't "weak" because they get controlled by their food cravings, they need genuine help in most cases.

Oct 31, 2017
Exactly this. It's awful -- and inverse to the amount of work as it takes for you to change it positively, it'll go RIGHT BACK if you let yourself fall into old habits.

Man, it's crazy how accurately this describes me, too. I am currently in the process of trying to adapt back after fucking up and it's scary how easy it is to convince yourself to just eat whatever you want unless you are hyper focused not to.
Same here :( since January I've been trying but I get to like, Day 3 and then I fuck up. It's hard but I can FEEL IT IN MY BONES that I'm gonna get back on track very soon

And I have to keep reminding myself that I've done this before and I've been successful before

P.S. this is why I fuCKING HATE the holidays because everyone's just like "here eat this 6000 calorie thing it's ok it's the holidays 😊 don't be a party pooper come on ☺️"

Oct 31, 2017
Food addiction is a very real thing for many people, especially those with severe depression, seasonal depression, etc. Stress levels contribute as well.

Saying appetite can easily be controlled with discipline is kind of brushing aside many of the underlying factors as to why people develop eating addictions to begin with.

Not every solution works for every person or situation, and the more tools that exist out there the better.

People aren't "weak" because they get controlled by their food cravings, they need genuine help in most cases.
I'm sure the original poster knew this; of course it's simplified. There's many many many many many factors that contribute to this stuff.

And the more self aware I become the more I realize this lol

I'm just pissed at myself rn because in December I was SOOOO fucking close to having a good 6 pack and then I rented a cabin with 2 friends and ate like total shit and I've been trying to recover ever since :-(

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
nuts to this i'm buying amphetamines

anyway, seems like it could be helpful

When I was in high school I was on adderall and I had almost zero appetite and it sucked. During lunch I had to almost force myself to eat something. Though it would wear off by dinner and I would stuff my face. I was in amazing physical shape though.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
I remember these pills being all the rage in the late 90s early 00s. Then they got banned, right?

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I'm sure the original poster knew this; of course it's simplified. There's many many many many many factors that contribute to this stuff.

And the more self aware I become the more I realize this lol

I'm just pissed at myself rn because in December I was SOOOO fucking close to having a good 6 pack and then I rented a cabin with 2 friends and ate like total shit and I've been trying to recover ever since :-(

I learned at a pretty young age that no matter what I ate, no matter how filling the meal, I would always have room for more and remain hungry. Because of that, I had to develop a plan to basically fast for 14-18 hours a day in order to make sure I didn't consume food nonchalantly. If I didn't have that mechanism I'd eat 24/7.

I know firsthand that other people suffer from the same thing I do and don't have the ability to fast for 12+ hours like I do, and I've found it has very little to do with discipline and a lot to do with mental health, stress and their hunger signals getting royally screwed up over the course of their life.

It's why I don't like to boil it down to discpline, I find that explanation far too simple and it tends to unintentionally make the whole thing seem really easy.

For too many people, it'll be a life long struggle.