• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
This is a fucking bummer. I'd at the very least expect to have space to store content. That speedy HDD is looking smaller and smaller by the minute.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
It's a problem for people who hoard games I guess, hopefully they come with a fix soon after launch with cold storage and upgradable SSD.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Hitman 3 PS5 version with all the remastered Himan 1 and Hitman 2 maps is going to be ouch. It's already like 130GB on PS4 just with Hitman 1 and 2 content.

I think the downplaying of the limitation isn't fair either. When Resetera, as a generalized entity, constantly comments on storage limitations and it's well known that less than 1tb storage for a new console is already very lackluster and concerning...pretending that people's disappointment and grievance is unwarranted is unnecessary defense of a company that not only could have fixed this very likely issue, they were deliberately silent on details. The lack of this option is a disservice to their customer base and something that, for the life of me, I cannot understand.

Well put.

It's a problem for people who hoard games I guess, hopefully they come with a fix soon after launch with cold storage and upgradable SSD.

Having more than 5 games installed is hoarding?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

It's going to be a problem for everyone. 500GB on XBOX One went fast and games are much larger now. Especially if you play multiple multiplayer games. If you have Gran Turismo and Call of Duty installed, two evergreen games, that's going to be half your HDD space right there.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Luckily this won't affect me since I'm only getting exclusives on PS5, but it's a pretty major bummer overall. Hopefully they can get it patched in quickly.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
so did DF review get it wrong too??
from article:
The alternative is to hive off your legacy titles to an external USB drive, and to shuttle your PS5-specific games to and from the drive should you manage to fill up primary storage
www.eurogamer.net

PlayStation 5 review: welcome to the next generation

The Digital Foundry verdict: Sony has delivered a hugely impressive, premium machine with great games that really feels like it ushers in a new generation of gaming.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Do people really think they let outlets review this thing with the external storage situation as is and just drop an update at launch that will enable using external storage for PS5 games without telling outlets at all?

sorry but thats wishful thinking...we can be lucky if there will be the option at all sometimes in the future, which i don´t believe

they will push people to buy expensive certified internal SSDs, just wait and see.

Ok you can transfer PS4 games to PS5 to be played, guess what? most of the ps4 games I have are going to get patched to PS5 versions so they will become ps5 versions so no way to store them back on the same HDD so it will be much huge screw up.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
No way this is correct or holds true after launch if it is the case right now. Probably just disabled the feature for reviews to minimize potential confusion.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Ok you can transfer PS4 games to PS5 to be played, guess what? most of the ps4 games I have are going to get patched to PS5 versions so they will become ps5 versions so no way to store them back on the same HDD so it will be much huge screw up.

If they are legit PS5 versions being upgraded from the PS4 version, then you're downloading a whole new game and that will go to the SSD.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
This is really confusing...
What about backing up your save data to a USB stick?
Em-Jw-XDm-Wo-AI6-C4e.png

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Do people really think they let outlets review this thing with the external storage situation as is and just drop an update at launch that will enable using external storage for PS5 games without telling outlets at all?
Not impossible. Sony themselves haven't commented on the HDD issue.
We do know that there are patches coming for some games, and I am sure there is an OS update soon as well.

Whether it includes external HDD support for cold storage, doubtful but not impossible.
they will push people to buy expensive certified internal SSDs, just wait and see.

Why would they?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Spider-Man Ultimate, COD, Demon´s Souls, Dirt 5 and Hitman 3 in january with all legacy maps and DLC= SSD full.

this is far from "hoarding games". also i think with no option to store PS5 games externally it sucks even more that they only have a 825GB with 667 GB usable SSD instead of 1TB which would be around 800GB usable.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man Ultimate, COD, Demon´s Souls, Dirt 5 and Hitman 3 in january with all legacy maps and DLC= SSD full.

this is far from "hoarding games"
Yep, this is just trying to manage which games you would want and such. If XSX can do cold storage so can PS5 for it's games.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

this is far from "hoarding games"
That's two months from release, if you consider Hitman. So probably we will have cold storage by then, or even better, some compatible ultra fast ssd drives to upgrade storage.

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
This is disappointing, bought myself an external ssd purely for ps5 games :(

Isnt the end of the world but would be great if this is a feature that can be added via an update

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
That's two months from release, if you consider Hitman. So probably we will have cold storage by then, or even better, some compatible ultra fast ssd drives to upgrade storage.
That is my issue with all of this, we have no idea because Sony is being tight-lipped about it. I have no idea why they aren't coming out and saying anything on the topic. All they have to do is say like, " We didn't make it for launch but you will have cold storage soon." It's super easy to do. One blog post and done.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
That is my issue with all of this, we have no idea because Sony is being tight-lipped about it. I have no idea why they aren't coming out and saying anything on the topic. All they have to do is say like, " We didn't make it for launch but you will have cold storage soon." It's super easy to do. One blog post and done.
Well, reviews just came a few hours ago, sure they are aware. It may be good that they said something, but maybe there's a reason why they do not.
I think it is fair to think that they will allow it. It just makes sense.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
This is pretty shit. Cold storage has to be there at launch or soon after, it's pretty ridiculous that the reason is to avoid 'confusion'. And this goes much more for the digital only console owners. Needs to be resolved ASAP.

If they are legit PS5 versions being upgraded from the PS4 version, then you're downloading a whole new game and that will go to the SSD.
Think this has to be said more so people are aware. Patches do not create a native PS5 version. PS5 games are completely different SKU's to their PS4 counterparts. Save files do not natively transfer between them.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So at this stage at launch I can not use a HDD as cold storage and can not add a second internal SSD because Sony has not provided certification - meaning I am solidly restricted until either issue is resolved to the 665+ usable space on the internal SSD?

Not ideal really. Hoping it gets fixed very quickly.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the PS4 not support USB storage at all at launch? Seems it's just not a priority, which, I mean, fair. Most customers are gonna take a while to fill the storage that comes with it.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
They have to change this with a firmware update or something. How are they going to justify the space when it comes to the digital version of the console?

Oct 27, 2017
I did a lot of research before and I was fairly certain they said that PS5 games could be transferred to external hdd for cold storage purposes- perhaps this is just an early thing, I also heard that you cant expand the internal storage quite yet even though there are nvme drives that support the speed. Hopefully Sony corrects this ASAP because if not its a major issue.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
They'd better offer cloud saves for all users on a home console if they're really going to prevent saving to USB. That makes no sense. What are my kids supposed to do if their saves mess up? I'm not buying everyone an individual PS+ sub, that'd be crazy

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the PS4 not support USB storage at all at launch? Seems it's just not a priority, which, I mean, fair. Most customers are gonna take a while to fill the storage that comes with it.
PS4 wasn't backwards compatible. PS5 is. Huge difference in what that means for hard drive space.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
I think stuff like this and folders is a downside to starting from scratch on the OS. I'm sure this stuff will come eventually.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020

And there it is, a spark of common sense.

With the pandemic I am sure certain things had to take priority. I am much more happy about having games to play made for the console than having the OS be complete.

The storage upgrade feature will not be far away and the cold storage via USB will come.

For the majority of consumers and from a priority standpoint, games are the most important.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And there it is, a spark of common sense.

With the pandemic I am sure certain things had to take priority. I am much more happy about having games to play made for the console than having the OS be complete.

The storage upgrade feature will not be far away and the cold storage via USB will come.

For the majority of consumers and from a priority standpoint, games are the most important.
I don't think it's really an either or, feels like very different departments working on those.

Also, as so often with Sony this year the problem is communication. We simply don't know when (or if) they're planning to add this.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
This is not meant as an excuse for a missing feature, but I'm surprised people do this. I've never had fast internet until now and I never thought about having games stored on an hdd. I guess it makes most sense for people with data caps.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
The DF review says you can, I wonder if they and IGN just assumed it was the case and not actually tested?

Ogopogo

Sep 4, 2019
Info just coming out, this can't be right...

I can't keep track of how many times I've read, "This can't be right...", when it comes to some shortcoming from the perceived-to-be-perfect PS5.

ANYWAY...yeah, I guess this sucks for some but I'm only buying Demon's Souls for the foreseeable future so...yeah. Hopefully this is something that gets patched in later.