• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a really bad constraint that will impact most users, and all of those who invested in PS5 DE.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm definitely empathetic to people working in extraordinary conditions, having been doing it myself in an industry that's especially decimated by pandemic conditions, but I don't think anything I wrote is particularly dramatic? I called it cruddy, which it feels is pretty accurate based on the number of people in this thread disappointed with the news on cold storage, and in other threads about the lack of quick resume being a bummer, for example. Yeah, things are coming, but it feels cruddy that five days out we're learning things people assumed were options aren't, and there isn't a single write-up comparing the two console's performance on a third party game. Is it the end of the world? No. Is it a dealbreaker for people who pre-ordered? Probably not for the vast, vast majority of people. But, it's still disappointing.

(PS: one bright spot seems to be the PS5's backwards compatibility performance though)
Idk. I think this has been a great couple weeks of game news.
People generally like the OS of these consoles.
We are seeing massive load time increases for games.
BC implementation seems great including the performance gains you mentioned.
There's some strong launch games.
People are really digging the dualsense.

I don't really think learning that a feature is missing one week away or three weeks away makes much of a difference, really.
PS5 has a number of things that will be improving post launch. This includes 3d Audio for TV, SSD expansion opportunities, and more.

Putting things into perspective, in just a matter of days these new consoles will be available. They will be fast and with some great games to play. And there's more features and services coming soon.

I don't know. I just don't see any of this news as anywhere near a net negative. Especially when comparing to the past. When Microsoft was doing a massively staggered launch to only 13 countries last gen. Across the board, everything in terms of features, quantity of system stock, games, and more is just so much better compared to last gen. But it doesn't come without some growing pains.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this sucks. I guess this external HD I bought will just be filled with PS4 games from my current console. Thats not good design. I don't see any reason why they'd do that. There has to be something else to this.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I am really going to regret this purchase if Sony does not fix this.

Thing is, if everyone buys the console without this feature, Sony will be right to assume that people really don't care and can safely ignore people asking for cold storage, unless they start seeing murmuring on Twitter about people not wanting to buy more games because they don't want to uninstall the ones they have or buy a pricey expansion drive.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Thing is, if everyone buys the console without this feature, Sony will be right to assume that people really don't care and can safely ignore people asking for cold storage, unless they start seeing murmuring on Twitter about people not wanting to buy more games because they don't want to uninstall the ones they have or buy a pricey expansion drive.
I don't think it works that way. Do you think MS thinks it's okay to release a console without any major exclusives because they are going to sell out their initial stock?

PS5 and Xbox will sell out regardless and I'm sure both will change features based on player feedback.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Idk. I think this has been a great couple weeks of game news.
People generally like the OS of these consoles.
We are seeing massive load time increases for games.
BC implementation seems great including the performance gains you mentioned.
There's some strong launch games.
People are really digging the dualsense.

I don't really think learning that a feature is missing one week away or three weeks away makes much of a difference, really.
PS5 has a number of things that will be improving post launch. This includes 3d Audio for TV, SSD expansion opportunities, and more.

Putting things into perspective, in just a matter of days these new consoles will be available. They will be fast and with some great games to play. And there's more features and services coming soon.

I don't know. I just don't see any of this news as anywhere near a net negative. Especially when comparing to the past. When Microsoft was doing a massively staggered launch to only 13 countries last gen. Across the board, everything in terms of features, quantity of system stock, games, and more is just so much better compared to last gen. But it doesn't come without some growing pains.
My only complaints remain Sony's messaging (or lack of) on all this. I can absolutely deal with no VRR, no 1440p, no cold storage at launch, no PSVR support on PS5 games, no NVME support at launch etc... but it would have been really nice for Sony to be more upfront and transparent about all of the above.

Heck, how long did it take to get confirmation that the system shipped with an HDMI 2.1 cable (and I never doubted that it would for one second)?

It's really bizarre to me.

I'm eager to get hands on with my PS5. I just ordered a second dual sense an hour ago. The hardware team have put together something amazing. The first party teams have put together a great launch line up. If I was in any of those teams, I'd be pissed at how Sony have mishandled the messaging on exactly what the PS5 is compatible with.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I wouldn't worry, I'm sure it will come sooner than later, but probably not a priority at launch. It must be relatively easy to implement. Maybe it is due to security issues?

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
My only complaints remain Sony's messaging (or lack of) on all this. I can absolutely deal with no VRR, no 1440p, no cold storage at launch, no PSVR support on PS5 games, no NVME support at launch etc... but it would have been really nice for Sony to be more upfront and transparent about all of the above.

Heck, how long did it take to get confirmation that the system shipped with an HDMI 2.1 cable (and I never doubted that it would for one second)?

I'm eager to get hands on with my PS5. I just ordered a second dual sense an hour ago. The hardware team have put together something amazing. The first party teams have put together a great launch line up. If I was in any of those teams, I'd be pissed at how Sony have mishandled the messaging on exactly what the PS5 is compatible with.
Yeah you are spot on with this and it's crazy that hear this from Sony.

Oct 30, 2017

Absolutely.

They're better off getting out in front of stories and being pro active. And even when they need to be reactive, they're slow.

I think their drip info strategy has worked in a lot of respects. But it certainly has had some drawbacks. The right time to mention the lack of these features was alongside other information releases.

But on the aggregate, I still maintain that this has been a great few weeks of game news. Some of the games releasing look really polished and well done. Many of the features seems well implemented. The systems run pretty cool and quiet. Load times are lightning fast.

I think when we look at this gen compared to the early days of last gen, we are off to a much better start.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I wouldn't worry, I'm sure it will come sooner than later, but probably not a priority at launch. It must be relatively easy to implement. Maybe it is due to security issues?
At least one major PS4 feature didn't make it at launch (suspending games). In the grand scheme of things it was meaningless. Sometimes things just aren't ready and I don't think any large number of people here would support them delaying launch of the system for the sake of cold storage options.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
Can you still move screenshots over?

Please f'n say yes, if not the screenshot function is now useless.
From Polygon
While the PS5 doesn't allow you to save captures directly to a USB external hard drive, you can totally copy them there yourself and then delete them from the internal storage to free up space.
www.polygon.com

All your burning PlayStation 5 questions, answered

The only PS5 FAQ you’ll ever need

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
This is a really bad constraint that will impact most users, and all of those who invested in PS5 DE.

Most users will never attach an external storage device to their console. Just as they won't upgrade the internal SSD for that matter.

Upgrading your console, in any shape or form, is enthusiasts playground.

Heck I consider myself an enthusiast and have never bought an additional storage device for any console. Ever. I just uninstall/reinstall games, like most people who run into storage issues.

Swarming1182

Jan 14, 2018
This is actually really, really bad news. The PS5 has very little internal storage space as it is. And at launch, there's no options for SSD expansions as there's no third-party options available on the market. If you can't even use an external USB 3.0 drive to store/shift around games... that's going to be really, really tough.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
At least one major PS4 feature didn't make it at launch (suspending games). In the grand scheme of things it was meaningless. Sometimes things just aren't ready and I don't think any large number of people here would support them delaying launch of the system for the sake of cold storage options.
Yes, that was much more serious, and it also took quite time if I'm not mistaken, but it's a much deeper thing to implement, i would say, than just copying files from an external drive.
We also sometimes forget that covid is a thing, and may have affected some things, so probably they had to focus on what was really needed at launch, and later bring those improvements.
We will see.
After the really great work on hardware, controller, ui, it makes no sense that they just 'forgot' this.
While there may be a few users that will fill that ssd with ps5 games, it is more probable than most will only have a few native ps5 games, and the rest being ps4 patched ones, that can be used from external drives.
It would be a problem in a few months though, when native ps5 libraries start to grow.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
This is a big deal.. I was hoping to just move my PS4 external over for back compat and storage like I will do with my X.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This is actually really, really bad news. The PS5 has very little internal storage space as it is. And at launch, there's no options for SSD expansions as there's no third-party options available on the market. If you can't even use an external USB 3.0 drive to store/shift around games... that's going to be really, really tough.
If you were planning to buy every PS5 game for the next couple of months, then this is an inconvenience. But I doubt many people were.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Most users will never attach an external storage device to their console. Just as they won't upgrade the internal SSD for that matter.

Heck I consider myself an enthusiast and have never bought an additional storage device for any console. Ever. I just uninstall/reinstall games, like most people who run into storage issues.

You'd be surprised. My cousin, who was 11 or 12 at the time, did not own a computer, was not an enthusiast or anything like that, had an external HDD bought for him to use for XBOX games because of running out of storage. A lot more people, especially children, used that feature than you would expect on the XBOX.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
If you were planning to buy every PS5 game for the next couple of months, then this is an inconvenience. But I doubt many people were.

Not true.
Every game that gets updated with a next gen patch will be treated like a PS5 game and will need to be loaded from the SSD. With the huge PS4 libraries most people have, that SSD is simply not going to be big enough for that, let alone factoring in new PS5 games.

Not being able to cold storage PS5 games will be more than an annoyance.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Not true.
Every game that gets updated with a next gen patch will be treated like a PS5 game and will need to be loaded from the SSD. With the huge PS4 libraries most people have, that SSD is simply not going to be big enough for that, let alone factoring in new PS5 games.

Not being able to cold storage PS5 games will be more than an annoyance.
You misunderstand what the patches coming to PS4 titles are doing. They aren't turning them into PS5 titles in the same manner that Series X/S optimized games become Series S/X games. They're removing framerate caps, or increasing maximum dynamic resolutions to allow PS4 games to utilize all the new overhead available to them in BC.

You *can't* patch a PS4 game to turn it into a PS5 one. You can only release an entirely new build as a PS5 game, as we see with Spider-Man and a bunch of other games offering free upgrades.

Swarming1182

Jan 14, 2018

I think this is grossly oversimplified.

The PS5 has 667GB of usable storage.
Spider-Man: Miles Morales takes up 105GB.
Demon Souls takes up 66GB.
Black Ops Cold War takes up 133GB

Those three by themselves will take up nearly half the internal storage by themselves, and none of them can even be stored on an external device.

That's on top of any PS4 BC games you want to play, which can also be enormous (such as GTA V), as well as the PS+ Collection games, which we don't know about for sizes just yet. But Bloodborne takes up 99GB, Ghost of Tsushima another 50... Which presumably also can't be moved to the external storage. Though it depends whether they count as PS4 or PS5 games, could be the latter but just patched to remove framerate caps etc.

This is going to be an issue for most PS5 users at launch imo

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Most users? I dunno many people who store games on external USBs save for enthusiast. Most casual gamers I know just delete and reinstall whenever they want to play again.
Never has there been a PlayStation digital console expected to sell at least 30% of the market share.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Those three by themselves will take up nearly half the internal storage by themselves, and none of them can even be stored on an external device.

That's on top of any PS4 BC games you want to play, which can also be enormous (such as GTA V), as well as the PS+ Collection games, which we don't know about for sizes just yet. But Bloodborne takes up 99GB, Ghost of Tsushima another 50... Which presumably also can't be moved to the external storage. Though it depends whether they count as PS4 or PS5 games, could be the latter but just patched to remove framerate caps etc.

All of those PS4 games can be run from your external storage. Which you must have if you were planning to move PS5 games onto it.

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017

Miles is 50 Gb, the Ultimate edition is 105.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Hahahah what? Hope they patch this in soon, people are going to fill these things up fast.
Really feels like the PS5 is coming in a little hot.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
So there's no point in pre-ordering Spidey (digital) for the PS5, as I can't download it until the console arrives any way? And, even then, I'll have to wait until it's bloody downloaded? Here I was hoping that I could pre-load on my hdd and just connect it straight up and transfer to the PS5 internal.
Today doesn't seem like a good day for Sony...

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
hopefully they patch this in through a firmware update before long, not being able to use externals for cold storage is definitely not a good look by Sony

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

You can run ps4 games on external storage at least. Which is what i will do. Use the nvme for only ps5 games.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Not only buy all games, but also switch between every single one of them. Most people finish a single player game before moving on to the next. It's the multi player games that are more of a permanent install. And only the MP part of the install as we expect more segmented games next gen.

ukas

Oct 25, 2017
Seems a little dramatic.

I mean.. what launch period doesn't have its share of issues?

Games get delayed. Especially during the era of COVID. OS features are almost never complete at launch or have issues. Sony did a brand new OS so it's going to be following a roadmap of improvements over time.

And game comparisons are coming. It won't be long.

This is part of being an early adopter. We either don't have every bit of information we want at our fingertips, or features are missing/incomplete.
Much of these concerns end up being a thing of the past and in time nobody even really remembers the time when these things were issues.

But this stuff is just par for the course.

If I remember correctly the PS4 was missing a lot of features from the PS3 OS when it launched too.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The title specifically says "at launch". Which is the time that you won't need to put a bunch of games in cold storage. The feature will probably come long before anyone actually needs it.

Sep 13, 2020
In order to see the reductions in load times, etc., do PS4 games need to be installed on the SSD or are there improvements playing them from external HDDs?

Noobguru

Oct 27, 2017
That would only be true is Sony had made the position known previously. Sadly, like much with the PS5, Sony was slow/negligent in providing information.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I was planning to get Miles Morales Ultimate Edition, Sackboy Adventures, Call of Duty, Dirt 5, and Demon's Souls right away. Add in the free Bugsnax, and Destruction AllStars, and the storage is feeling awfully full already.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I was planning to get Miles Morales Ultimate Edition, Sackboy Adventures, Call of Duty, Dirt 5, and Demon's Souls right away. Add in the free Bugsnax, and Destruction AllStars, and the storage is feeling awfully full already.
Ha, well damn, you're going to be doing a lot of managing for these games when it comes to storage.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
You can neither use internal SSDs nor external HDDS. What are we suppsoed to do? Get pricy external SSDS that can't be used to play PS5 games directly from there, Problem isn't solved either.
I hope they fix all those problems by launch and have a firmware update to solve the problems.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the patch allowing cold storage isn't far away either. I'd say 50:50 that it's out before Destruction AllStars, but I'll gladly take the L if that doesn't come to pass.

I don't think that's a safe assumption. It took Sony how long to implement external storage on the PS4? We have no idea where this is on the priority list for Sony and on their roadmap for firmware updates. I'm sure it will come, but I'm not sure it will be timely. I'm sure people assumed Netflix would be on the Switch shortly too and we're still waiting years later.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone checked to see if Sony has removed the limitation of not attaching external storage to a USB hub? Or checked to see how the PS5 handles multiple external storage devices?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I don't think that's a safe assumption. It took Sony how long to implement external storage on the PS4? We have no idea where this is on the priority list for Sony and on their roadmap for firmware updates. I'm sure it will come, but I'm not sure it will be timely. I'm sure people assumed Netflix would be on the Switch shortly too and we're still waiting years later.
I think the more games they release the higher priority it becomes. They'll likely have metrics telling them exactly how full everyone's storage is. At launch... it's way less important than it'll be after a few months. Same for additional NVME. The large majority of people are unlikely to start bumping into storage limits for at least a few months.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
What, really? That BLOWS.
Yep!

Em-Jw-XDm-Wo-AI6-C4e.png

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I hope they fix all those problems by launch and have a firmware update to solve the problems.

Do people really think they let outlets review this thing with the external storage situation as is and just drop an update at launch that will enable using external storage for PS5 games without telling outlets at all?

sorry but thats wishful thinking...we can be lucky if there will be the option at all sometimes in the future, which i don´t believe

they will push people to buy expensive certified internal SSDs, just wait and see.

Noobguru

Oct 27, 2017
I think the downplaying of the limitation isn't fair either. When Resetera, as a generalized entity, constantly comments on storage limitations and it's well known that less than 1tb storage for a new console is already very lackluster and concerning...pretending that people's disappointment and grievance is unwarranted is unnecessary defense of a company that not only could have fixed this very likely issue, they were deliberately silent on details. The lack of this option is a disservice to their customer base and something that, for the life of me, I cannot understand.