• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
This is so weird. Thought it would work like Xbox where you could do this to avoid deleting and redownloading even though you don't play off the external...
Yep same here..some outlet did a test. It took only 3 minutes to bring a large game like red dead redemption 2 from cold storage into internal ssd and vice versa on Series X. Cold storage this gen is an absolute essential for folks that don't want to pay out the ass for external ssd storage.

sYko de4d

Oct 28, 2017
wow thats not good for people with slow internet oder data cap :/

but i bet this will get added in the near future, why not?

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
So no storage expansion at launch and this? I'm not looking forward to all the uninstalling and redownloading.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
It's going to be a big issues for people with data caps that were planning on using an external source for cold storage. 664GB is not a lot of space for people that want to have their libraries easily accessible to them

True, but how many people will have more than 4-5 PS5 games until the end of the year? Don't think this will impact that many people. If they don't patch it in later then I can see your point.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
I thought we knew this? Didn't Cerny state this in the PS5 tech presentation? Specifically that external storage initially could be used for PS4 titles but not PS5. Maybe I'm misremembering.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
You would think Sony would've let the press know if that was the case though. Again, Sony's silence on everything has once again come back to haunt everyone.

I mean Geoff's comment seems like it isn't coming anytime soon...
There's a lot of things Sony has been weirdly silent about and turned out to be not worrying, like BC news and console noise levels we got today. I wouldn't necessarily extrapolate their silence yet.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I imagine they will patch this in a future firmware update, it would be crazy not to.

Again, not sure about this, i am assuming that the game files integrate differently when directly installed to the SSD than "swapped in" so that might be why the internal SSD is this fast and also the reason there are no "certified" internal drives to buy yet.

the "eco friendly console" thing is really satire considering people are going to redownload huge ass games just because they can´t be stored externally..

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Again, not sure about this, i am assuming that the game files integrate differently when directly installed to the SSD than "swapped in" so that might be why the internal SSD is this fast and also the reason there are no "certified" internal drives to buy yet.

the "eco friendly console" thing is really satire considering people are going to redownload huge ass games just because they can´t be stored externally..
What? That makes zero sense.
The PS5 isn't making file systems work differently now.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's a particular big obstacle even if that was the case. There's this concept of packing and unpacking files even if the game installation's structure necessitate a ssd.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Baffling omission. I'd like to think that it's a pre-release firmware issue and it'll be fixed by launch, but there's no excuse in not having it at all.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
PS5 DE only owners are screwed. RE Downloading games that are anywhere from 50 - 200 gb as a means to swap is gonna be terrible experience wise. Not to mention internet data caps.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
You would think Sony would've let the press know if that was the case though. Again, Sony's silence on everything has once again come back to haunt everyone.

I mean Geoff's comment seems like it isn't coming anytime soon...

Yeah really, lot of odd news coming out today that I wish sony had not been silent about.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Surely its a feature that will patched in.

Can't see Sony omitting this option, it will be a huge mistake. With some users having data caps and only 670GB of usable space, its not feasible.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Really need to be patched in day one. Cold storage on external is really important with the limited space the internal SSD has.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
What? That makes zero sense.
The PS5 isn't making file systems work differently now.
I don't think that's a particular big obstacle even if that was the case. There's this concept of packing and unpacking files even if the game installation's structure necessitate a ssd.

Could also be security reason. or trying to push people to buying expensive "certified" drives :-)

Sony should release some infos why this is the case because it is kinda unacceptable that you can´t store games externally. Sony is really doing a Nintendo lately, stuff like that is straight up out of the Nintendo playbook.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Is it external storage in general or specifically external storage with HDDs? If the latter maybe the intent is getting people to switch entirely to SSDs?

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I thought we knew this? Didn't Cerny state this in the PS5 tech presentation? Specifically that external storage initially could be used for PS4 titles but not PS5. Maybe I'm misremembering.
We knew we wouldnt be able tobplay ps5 games off an hdd but many tbought you would be able to store ps5 games on an hdd

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Are you kidding me?? Sony needs to address this ASAP. If it's just a temporary issue that will be resolved shortly that's fine. But cold storage is an absolute necessity this gen.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What, are they scared people will incorrectly assume they can play the games off of the external? Or that someone will find a way to try and force a game to play off the external?

Do they really not care about people with slow and limited internet, who don't want to be constantly downloading and redownloading the same game?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna make juggling PS5 games interesting on an SSD this size.

It's definitely gonna result in me just buying less (large) games on PS5. Cannot be fucked to keep deleting and having to redownload ginormous games all of the time.

Need to get that internal SSD slot working and updated soon as they can.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Makes the lack of expandable storage at launch all the more horrible. As someone who pre-ordered the digital edition, I'm not really happy about that decision.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I mean I'll still be buying most of my games on disc so deleting and re-installing isn't much of a problem, but still, they should enable the cold storage for PS5 games.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense as it needs the custom SSD, never thought it would work. Use external for ps4 games and media.
I mean storage is storage, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to move them on to external so you don't need to redownload.

This plus the lack of any expandable storage options at launch makes this a potential wrecking ball for data caps, at least for the foreseeable future. ~600GB will take you a very short distance

Alive2007

Aug 21, 2019
I've been telling family that they will be able to use cold storage and transfer their next gen games quickly for awhile now 😅 oops

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
It's these little things Sony does that pisses me off so much, like the ps5 is obviously going to be amazing, in my opinion they have the best first party but then you have so many small things to deal with like this on every one of their platforms that make things so damn annoying to use.

These type of things happen on every PlayStation system for some reason, things never just work.