• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense as it needs the custom SSD, never thought it would work. Use external for ps4 games and media.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I suspect this was a pre-release firmware issue. It outright says on the box that you can cold store PS5 titles.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Makes sense as it needs the custom SSD, never thought it would work. Use external for ps4 games and media.
I don't think anyone's expecting games to play from an external HDD. It's so games can be stored and transferred back to the system comparitively quickly compared to redownloading them.

OP
OP
Sutton Dagger

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017

We're talking about storing the games, not playing them off the external HDD. It is a useful feature as it would be much quicker to move games over rather than having to download them again.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Well I got an HDD for the PS5... Can still return it so let's see if this gets clarified

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Cant click on the link for unknown reasons - but if not, what is the point for an external drive on a gaming consoles if not for games?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Polygon review said the same but I've definitely read another review today that said you could use extended storage as cold storage. Hmmm.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
We're talking about storing the games, not playing them off the external HDD. It is a useful feature as it would be much quicker to move games over rather than having to download them again.
Cold storage so you don't have to redownload a game again, but i guess this is a bug that hasn't been patched yet?
Store games on a HDD, not play them.
Ah ok, I understand now, thanks.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
That's fine as I'm only buying exclusives but can you run BC games from external?

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
It seems you can store and play PS4 games but not PS5. That kinda makes sense? But at the very least you should be able to store PS5 games externally, I would understand if they can't be played

Akuma-san メカ豪鬼

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Maybe it is in a separate menu. Like in PS4, System >> Backup and Restore
Hopefully someone would clarify this, maybe press-start didnt look in the Backup/Restore menu if it exists in the PS5.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
I have been asking for an answer to this for months. Expected that it wouldn't suport it since they've been quit about it

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
they won't let you store saves on hdd either, meaning you'll have to subscribe to ps plus for backing up your save data. almost as bad as nintendo

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't read all the reviews yet, but if this is true I'm kind of surprised that it's not being made a bigger deal of? Seems like a major usability issue.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
I dont want to get banned but there is a lot of features that are being promised vaguely not at launch