• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Did they also do this with the Metroid Prime Trilogy, the Kirby compilation and that Wii Mario compilation? Isn't that why they're all so hard to find today?
You can still buy the digital version of Metroid Prime Trilogy for Wii U

www.nintendo.com

My Nintendo Store – Nintendo Official Site

Shop at the My Nintendo Store for exclusive Nintendo merchandise, video games in digital and physical formats, Nintendo Switch™ systems, and much more.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
wait but what about leftover physical copies for retailers?

Are they gonna pay retailers for unsold copies after the end date lol?

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Makes no difference to me cause I already got that shit pre-ordered. I wasn't expecting Era to be so mad about this collection. Lol.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Well this is dumb. I only really want Super Mario Galaxy and I am not going to pay $60 bucks for it...Nintendo games have started having sales more than they used to now and I was thinking maybe waiting on this. Now I just wont buy it.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I'll have to keep an eye on it then--I chose free delivery, although I don't know why that would make a difference.
My delivery was free as well. I just started using Best Buy for online order in the last year or so but my experience with full price games has always been free release date delivery. I am sure it is just something that will fix itself within the next hour or so.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has to be the weirdest fucking company in the video game industry. Seriously, every thing they fucking do has one totally random "fuck you!" attached to it.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Honestly one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen. Absolutely do not understand the logic here, do they just hate money?

This would sell for years to come...so the only real reason has to be that they plan to make even more profits later on in a different way.

Ding ding ding (if you could imagine that as the 'collect coins' sound please, that would be great).

Just because Nintendo frustrates you doesn't make them stupid.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
This would sell for years to come...so the only real reason has to be that they plan to make even more profits later on in a different way.
Even the free games are going away in March though. It's marketing. They want everyone playing and talking about all these Mario-related products (including the upcoming themepark) at the same time. It raises awareness and gets more people involved, and ultimately sells more than a quiet rerelease that's available for years.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Might very well be the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life. They probably plan to sell them separately at a later date for either more money separately or by a virtual console type device.

Iexpect everyone defending this to also keep that same energy when it comes to defending activision, 2K, valve or EA since you love bootlicking so much, or is it different when it comes to your childhood company doing some arbitrary scummy shit ?

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Given the incredibly long tails on Nintendo's top tier game releases, this kind of decision is beyond baffling. Mario 3D All-Stars is the kind of game that could still sell well five years later. Wasn't Mario 64 DS a top seller through the DS's entire life?

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Exactly. And it is the same reason why Disney uses the vault. When you have valuable old IP like that, you have to be careful not to exhaust it. Disney+ is a major departure from that strategy for Disney at least, but I think they were a bit forced. Nintendo may do the same 10 years down the line when we're all streaming our games from the cloud!

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
They said the same thing about Super Mario Luigi U during the "Year of Luigi". It ended up being available via a bundle with Super Mario U.

I'm wondering if they won't eventually bundle it with Mario 3D World OT renaming it. Since this is technically a 35th Anniversary collection Incan see why it's available for a short period, but they need to make the games available in some form beyond that time frame as well.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They've done this with all of their Mario All-Star games. Less of a money thing and more of a way to generate "prestige."

Some things really aren't about money.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
791274-the-legend-of-zelda-four-swords-anniversary-edition-nintendo.png

Quick reminder that this has happened before. And yes, they made it seem as if the game never existed afterwards.

So I'm not expecting some Alll 3D Stars Deluxe or DLC.