• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
So timed exclusivity is bad but spending billions buying studios is ok and even praised by lots of people?
lmao
Wait so this isn't even about the Xbox versions, they were blocking the PC release!? Why?

No wonder there has yet to be a FF7R PC announcement.
They constantly used to do this with PC games from companies like S-E. You'd get a port exactly one year later and you'd see in the steam database that it was there for one year untouched.

Um... And you think it's different now with Rise? :P
Honestly, the chances for Rise having cross-save/cross-play are pretty good with how often it does happen for Switch SKUs. What it will ultimately hinge upon is if any of the event quests will be for Nintendo IPs, which I could see being the kind of thing that Nintendo would frown upon in terms of okaying both features.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Repeating myself from another thread but I'm already not fond of exclusivity deals, but good god spending money to prevent crossplay/cross save making the game worst for everyone in the long run... I don't know who I hate more the company giving the money or the company taking the money ( even thought the licence really didn't need it to be profitable ).

I'm guessing that's also why Genshin impact doesn't have cross save/progression on playstation.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Seems weird that they'd pay to keep it off PC when it released same day on xbox. Hopefully Capcom realized how big of a market there is for Monster hunter on all platforms and World 2 will be on everything at launch 🤞

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Color me unsurprised.

So timed exclusivity is bad but spending billions buying studios is ok and even praised by lots of people?

What would the reaction be if Sony bought Capcom? That's ok right?

Can we not? For just one thread. Not everything needs to be about who's better or worse.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
User Warned: Platform Warring
What is it with Sony and hating cross-saves? I'd still play Apex on PS4 if not for that.
Sony knows that Xbox has cultivated a better eco-system and they're afraid of people jumping ship to the other platform for 3rd parties unless they hold data hostage.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Maybe Capcom simply doesn't offer delays for other consoles in cases of multiplatform releases?
I doubt Sony wouldn't at least try to give the money for this.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
This seems to be their M.O. these days. Instead of make their players experience better they'd rather ruin everyone else's.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Common practice but really pisses me off. Especially the bit about crossplay. I good Capcom accountable just as much as Sony. Hopefully with the massive success of these titles they no longer have to pull this nonsense.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no one that represent PC to "fight back" or make a counter offer unlike Microsoft's xbox

The crossplay and cross save part is new. I've never heard until now that Sony actively paid a developer to not include those features.
But it is literally the opposite of what these deals typically look like. When Sony buys timed exclusives, it's with it coming to PC day and date. This would go completely against every other timed exclusive deal that they have done

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Another thing to add to how amazing and consumer friendly is sony #4thepayers, I wonder how many more games could have cross play / progression implemented if weren't for them, at least these timed aren't holding PC ports hostages.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Look at the bright side, Rise will probably have cross-save and cross-play because Nintendo has been open to that for quite a while. Hopefully if there is a PS5 exclusive MH they'll allow cross-save and cross-play with PC, but who knows?

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Well probably, that is what Sony does right now. Instead of buying the devs or the full exclusive, they just buy some timeframe.

You really can't flip this as a positive. Buying a dev shows commitment for your userbase. Paying millions to deny releases elsewhere for a time period is just awful business practice and a giant waste of funds.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes no sense to do this with just the PC version rather than the Xbox version... like, when Nintendo moneyhatted Rise they made sure NO other consoles got it in addition to delaying the PC version.

Go big or go home I guess... I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.