• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the lack of crossplay was Capcom being lame, but Sony paying to block it is not bueno. I hope PC Rise has crossplay and cross-progression, I would buy a copy full price if they did that.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
Why is Sony so against crossplay. I dont get it, that should be the natural progression of online gaming

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Day & Date release is literally one of options discussed between nintendo & capcom. So it was literally on the table.

lvRZdz1.png
Good thing they didn't bite then.

data

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
This is a pretty standard industry practice. Regardless of how shit it is.
I wouldn't call it an industry standard. Moreso just a shitty sony standard.

Microsoft has no reason to do this especially with game pass and I don't think Nintendo has ever paid for timed exclusivity from PC.

But it depends on whether this leak is true or not.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is Sony so against crossplay. I dont get it, that should be the natural progression of online gaming

Because they want you to play on their console. Cross play and cross save means that you can walk away any time. With your saves locked to Playstation you might consider not changing teams to not lose 150+hours of ingame progress.

That's the one reason they don't want you to have cross anything. They all don't want to. If Xbox would be no. 1 you could count on Spencer singing a whole different tune.

Aug 9, 2018
Guessing same reason MS was against it during the PS3/360 generation. They did have crossplay with PCs with some titles during that generation and carried over to the PS4 generation so it really is weird that they were against it with Monster Hunter World.

I would wait for more evidence though before really putting the blame on them. So far the one provided by the OP doesn't really suggest anything like that. Maybe the one who tweeted it will provide some evidence to back up his claim.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
What a statement while cheering for games being denied to other platforms for possibly forever by buying developers/publishers. How would you feel if Sony outright buys Capcom and never released their games on other platforms? Is it better for all gamers then?

If Sony buys Capcom then they've made a really strong permanent move for their userbase and commited their funds in an effort to aim that Capcom grows and provides continued new content. In an open market every platform holder has the opportunity to buy new or established devs as they please.

Timed denial of games that are destined to be multiformat titles and permanent denial of features is just shitty business practice.

Dec 21, 2020
The problem then lies with every other game that does have cross play though.
what's the sense of doing it if the biggest games (COD/Fortnite) have it?
Not sure, but could be to do it mainly for the Japanese audience and Asia. MH was big in Asia apparently and the PC market is far bigger than PS over there, so a player can opt to play either on PC or the PS4 for MH which has multiplayer, thus not making the PS4 necessary on that big market in China.

But if it is a one or the other, and one was released first without the other one being known about, then the players will assume its exclusive to their relevant platform and go for that platform.

Xbox has little to no relevance in the grand Asian market iirc

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
I recently began playing World on XBO and was debating getting it on PC but was turned off due to no cross save. As someone who plays Console and PC, I'd love the ability to double dip.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
What a statement while cheering for games being denied to other platforms for possibly forever by buying developers/publishers. How would you feel if Sony outright buys Capcom and never released their games on other platforms? Is it better for all gamers then?
If people want to play Capcom games they can buy a PlayStation just like Bethesada fans can buy a Xbox or a pc or .....any device that's streaming apparently.

I rather direct buy outs than this exclusive window, exclusive game mode stuff Sony does.

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
There are rumours and there are rumours but at least try and qualify what you read.

Monster Hunter World launched on PS4 and Xbox One. When Sony gets JRPG exclusives like FFXVI they are console exclusives because Xbox is the competition where there is the closest overlap of consumers, not PC.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I hope many aren't surprised by this.

HOWEVER it still sucks and is why PC crowd got treated like 2nd fiddle despite being the 2nd most popular platform overall compared to PS4 and XB1.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
The lack of crossplay is so fucking lame. A bunch of my friends have it on PC but I don't currently have a PC that could play monhun comfortably enough so I can't play with them

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Do remember, even today Japan players literally cannot buy an Xbox version of the World because it doesn't exist there.

I know, Xbox market is microscopic then and now, but it is technically Playstation Exclusive in Japan.

Regardless, it also doesn't matter for semantics, the only new info is the crossplay/cross-save stuff.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand how or why this would be the case if it launched on both Xbox and PlayStation? Sony typically pays for console exclusivity with PC versions launching ahead of Xbox. Weird.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
You really can't flip this as a positive. Buying a dev shows commitment for your userbase. Paying millions to deny releases elsewhere for a time period is just awful business practice and a giant waste of funds.
Companies wouldn't keep doing it if it was a "giant waste of funds".

They want to be the only place you play. Anything good that Sony has done in the crossplay space has been a rest of the industry dragging them kicking and screaming.
Except when they were supporting it without friction for all those years, before Xbox decided it was the way forward.

Last edited:

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Just FYI but timed exclusives date back to like..the Atari days.

What were they paying to keep content off of, the arcade?

Right, they are focusing on what works and shows results. This is marketing and these deals absolutely work, as shown by stuff like MHW, Destiny, COD, etc

Of course they work. They work especially well when you are also the leader in sales to the point the system becomes the default platform for many. It is a snowball effect and then at some point consumers will have no choice but to pay $70 to play it first there. There is a reason why Sony was also supportive of the price hike.

I expect more and more of these deals to be honest, it's much cheaper and efficient than buying/building studios because once the deal is done you can simply move on.

Wjat's shady though, if true, are the crossplay and cross saves being blocked. Reminds me of all the kafuffle with Fortnite.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
So timed exclusivity is bad but spending billions buying studios is ok and even praised by lots of people?

What would the reaction be if Sony bought Capcom? That's ok right?
It's about the intent. With time exclusive deals like these, the companies pay so consumers get less options to buy the game for. They literally pay so something doesn't get made or delayed on certain plattforms. Sony even stopped cross save from happening, if the reports are true.

There is nothing to like about time exclusive deals imo, but there are reasons to be fine with Sony buying Insomniac for example, because those acquisition mean the platform holders will invest in them and those studios get access to all the tools, engines, funds, ... of PS studios. Thus they can create better games and sometimes studios can massively expand. These platform holders fully fund these new games, too. So it's theirs, wether we like it or not.

There are benefits for consumers in there, although not being able to play the games anymore on XY is a downside. But I think some acquisition definitely made sense in the recent history, even from my consumer perspective.

Aug 9, 2018
If Sony buys Capcom then they've made a really strong permanent move for their userbase and commited their funds in an effort to aim that Capcom grows and provides continued new content. In an open market every platform holder has the opportunity to buy new or established devs as they please.

Timed denial of games that are destined to be multiformat titles and permanent denial of features is just shitty business practice.
If people want to play Capcom games they can buy a PlayStation just like Bethesada fans can buy a Xbox or a pc or .....any device that's streaming apparently.

I rather direct buy outs than this exclusive window, exclusive game mode stuff Sony does.
Wow so it is better to deny those previously multi-platform games on other platforms than to just delay it for some time. Ok.

| TrusT | you didn't answer how is that good for all gamers?

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that Sony paid like a couple mil for RE7 VR and exclusive demos and Nintendo did the same for the delayed PC announcement of Rise I'm not surprised.

Well no one should with how many exclusive deals have been going on :p

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, so you're telling me that Company X gave money to Company Y, in exchange for exclusivity of a specific product done by Company Y, in order to attract customers to Company X's portfolio of products?

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I really don't understand people getting mad over this when every Plattform holder will always sign deals that are in there best interest. Be it Sony, Nintendo, MS and co.

Getting offended by timed exclusivity that every leading plattform holder would use to their advantage but at the same time cheerleading developer or publisher aquisitions...
You're incorrectly assuming that all people or most people here getting 'mad' over timed exclusivity are the same ones who cheerlead developer or publisher acquisitions.

Why is it so hard to to see why people are upset or disappointed?

People keep comparing this with nintendo and rise... Monster Hunter rise was always expected to be exclusive to switch or coming first to switch and is a portable monster hunter game that has been traditionally been made always since the last few gens for the portable audiences. It was also leaked prior to this that nintendo paid for the delay in announcing MH: Rise for PC or something.

Monster hunter world is a multiplat game announced for all 3 platforms. Its not the same case as Rise. Idk why some of you are shocked that people shouldn't be surprised at this discovery... Capcom clearly stated back then that they needed time to finish the PC version and port it to PC. So it wasn't even close to the case with MH: Rise. It was always expected to come to switch first if not fully exclusive and is not multplat sub series...

Regardless.. whether it be Nintendo or Sony or any other company... paying to delay other versions is downright scummy and is indefensible from a customer's perspective. It shouldn't be defended unless you(Not claiming that YOU as in the poster iam replying to) are someone who works at that company or are an investor...

Excellent post.

The only thing bad here is stopping crossplay/crosssave, but this deal was made three or more years ago, when Sony refused crossplay on everything (which was bullshit). We can see today they have changed their stance at least.

'Only'...

its downright shitty to defend what Sony(in the past) did if you're defending them paying to delay another platform..regardless how you personally find it acceptable or not...

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If the blocking of crossplay/cross-progression is true that really sucks. But that was also peak "we don't want crossplay" time (the fact SFV happened is still a miracle all things considered).

I don't think Sony or anyone else would block crossplay now as it really just benefits everyone now.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This shouldn't be surprising to anyone other than those that acted shocked and appalled when MS engaged in this industry-standard practice for that one tomb raider

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are rumours and there are rumours but at least try and qualify what you read.

Monster Hunter World launched on PS4 and Xbox One. When Sony gets JRPG exclusives like FFXVI they are console exclusives because Xbox is the competition where there is the closest overlap of consumers, not PC.

In the US maybe. When it comes to places like China, where Sony is desperate to get a foothold in, PC is the competition (and not surprisingly MHW did really well there).

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blocking cross save and play is incredibly shitty on both capcom and sonys part. Capcom I bet would have refused that if they hadn't been relying on MHW to save the company financially.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
It's about the intent. With time exclusive deals like these, the companies pay so consumers get less options to buy the game for. They literally pay so something doesn't get made or delayed on certain plattforms. Sony even stopped cross save from happening.

There is nothing to like about time exclusive deals imo, but there are reasons to be fine with Sony buying Insomniac for example, because those acquisition mean the platform holders will invest in them and those studios get access to all the tools, engines, funds, ... of PS studios. Thus they can create better games and sometimes studios can massively expand. These platform holders fully fund these new games, too. So it's theirs, wether we like it or not.

Devs would have to focus on fewer hardware, less workload, less crunch.
Pubs will get their money on front, lowering sell target, etc.

People can spin anything, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.