• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand people getting mad over this when every Plattform holder will always sign deals that are in there best interest. Be it Sony, Nintendo, MS and co.

Getting offended by timed exclusivity that every leading plattform holder would use to their advantage but at the same time cheerleading developer or publisher aquisitions...
If this is about Bethesda, they wanted to become part of a bigger company and it could have gone so much worse. Imagine Stadia for example.

Timed exclusivity is keeping games off other platforms while providing zero benefit to your own customers, aka everybody loses except the platform holder/publisher getting paid for the deal.

Oct 27, 2017
Timed exclusivity I can understand, at this point it's just what you expect with big games that aren't historically multiplatform. Disabling cross-save/crossplay is an objectively smart business decision on their part although yes, it is morally a pretty scummy and creatively bankrupt idea that some asshole finance person thought up as their way of getting up the ladder. Unless you're sitting on some Sony stock, you gain absolutely nothing from this.

Like a lot of Game Pass holders will directly benefit a little from a studio acquisition, but even then it's with mixed feelings regarding consolidation and potentially reducing competition. No one can shamelessly cheer for this bullshit.

Also worth noting that this might be the way Sony can softly disable crossplay, by pushing the blame onto the developer that they paid to not implement the feature.

Think about Xbox's viability in Asia.
Generally speaking about the whole Asia region, isn't PC the number one platform? I assumed that's part of the reason MS is unifying the Xbox and PC platforms and putting their content on Steam.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Meh, timed exclusivity is lame, sure, but just business. What's actually a bit scummy is Sony paying off Capcom to not implement cross-play and cross-save, but luckily Sony seems to have moved on from being the roadblock for the cross-platform future.

Last edited:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This one makes me a little more mad than it probably should. Especially the cross save stuff. I would have double dipped on Iceborne for PC if I could have carried my character over.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that one is on Sony. I remember the devs for Apex saying a long time ago that even though cross play was possible for the future, that cross save wouldn't because of the way the backend was built.
They can both be true - it can be because of the backend, but that can also be because Sony wouldn't let them enable crossbuy.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
So you're telling me Nintendo learned from the best?
Considering Nintendo getting Monster Hunter 3U exclusivity for the 3DS is probably what killed the Vita, I'm not sure anyone's learned anything new here.

I'm getting the impression Capcom makes sure a platform holder pays for some sort of exclusivity before they release a Monster Hunter, and that they don't have any trouble finding a deal.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo didnt pay to delay the pc version, the switch version was always going to launch 1st, Nintendo just paid to delay the existence of the pc version until later
Are you trying to say that Capcom has not been working on the PC version since Nintendo paid them to? That it really doen't exist at all until further notice? It kinda comes down to the same result from the way you are phrasing it.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
This is quite a brand-loyalty driven post lol.

It really isn't. It's a shitty business practice and it'd be better for all gamers if it didn't happen. It's the one thing in the industry I absolutely cannot stand.

Show your strengths on what your product offers not what you can deny through short term anti consumer contracts.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Not a surprise and also not really impactful. Worlds PC launch was not smooth and stable, it would've been out in the same state in the same timeframe regardless of Sony paying for it.

No cross play and cross saves? Now that, that makes me sad. Hoping Rise does but I expect nothing.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Further Monster Hunter: Rise Details leak regarding Exclusivity, Money-Exchange (200M Yen/6MO), PC-Tech-Requirements, & need for Dog petting marketing

PC Stuff: https://pastebin.com/Ekn0b5Dn Bonus: Nice to see these kinda deals surface to be honest. Well since everythign is removed, Nintendo paid Capcom around 6M USD for 9 months of exclusitivity, they could have paid more for a permanent one.

they just paid to delay the announcement of the pc version by a few months. the PC release was always going to come later.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Considering Nintendo getting Monster Hunter 3U exclusivity for the 3DS is probably what killed the Vita, I'm not sure anyone's learned anything new here.

I'm getting the impression Capcom makes sure a platform holder pays for some sort of exclusivity before they release a Monster Hunter, and that they don't have any trouble finding a deal.

Exactly. I'm sure they're already working out a deal again for the next MH release. Their model of getting other companies to foot the bill seems to be working out just fine for them.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Are you trying to say that Capcom has not been working on the PC version since Nintendo paid them to? That it really doen't exist at all until further notice? It kinda comes down to the same result from the way you are phrasing it.
They're sayin what I said in my above post, that the payment for the delay is roughly nothing thanks to the PC version almost certainly launching around the same timeframe regardless. It's not finished and just sitting around for a year, basically. For both Rise and World ofc, though different scenarios.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom making out like a bandit while everyone is too busy getting mad at Sony and Nintendo. Reminds me of Ubisoft and EGS.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's cute that people truly believe that Capcom pivoted the MH series to 3DS arbitrarily and definitely weren't influenced by money exchanging hands with Nintendo.

Nintendo didnt pay to delay the pc version, the switch version was always going to launch 1st, Nintendo just paid to delay the existence of the pc version until later

The difference is irrelevant, really. Nintendo paid Capcom to stop people from potentially choosing to buy the game on PC instead of the Switch.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What? No im saying they kept the pc announcement hidden but then the leak happened

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
unknown.png
I feel like we've also overlooked the issue of MS "the game pass" here :p This seems intriguing. MHW was one of the first big 3rd party titles on Game Pass - and it came much much sooner than we expected. It was, at least for me, the first taste of 'woah.. this could be bigger than anyone thought'. To now see that Capcom not only had to inform SIE of the game pass deal, but "clear" it in some way (likely just against their marketing commitments, rather than like Sony could torpedo the deal) is REALLY interesting.

I wonder if this indicates that Sony didn't think much of Game Pass at this time (being much more focused on sales, clearly) or didn't think it was worthwhile to fight either way. To me, though, I think it's pretty clear that there has been plenty of time for Sony to know what was coming [which makes it hard to believe anyone arguing that Sony didn't take Game Pass into account when they signed MLB].

I do wonder when Capcom actually made the deal with MS in relation to when they made deals with Sony. And I wonder how and if that's changed as Game Pass has matured.

(And if Sony did pay to keep cross-save away, that sucks).

Not to send dense but what is "Meeting_minutes_20190315" referring to.
Notes from an internal meeting that took place on March 15, 2019.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
The difference is irrelevant, really. Nintendo paid Capcom to stop people from potentially choosing to buy the game on PC instead of the Switch.
To be fair, both PC announcements were prior to either World or Rise's launch. Though I agree, there is so far no difference between Rise and World's exclusivity deals and impacts are about the same. Stilllll holding hope for cross play or at least saves....

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Timed exclusivity is gross but it is what it is. blocking cross-save and cross platform play is both disgusting and completely anti-consumer.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP really should have made the thread about cross-play/cross-save. the exclusivity part is not very significant, and is common practice.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
What? No im saying they kept the pc announcement hidden but then the leak happened
Not remembering the leak right now, but i believe Capcom would be capable to release both console and PC versions at the same time if they wanted to. Didn't the leak say something like Nintendo could have bought full switch exclusivity but chose this current aproach instead because money?

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I don't get too worried about timed exclusives because I don't particularly care if I play a game 6-12 months after original release. I sure would never buy into a platform to play one of these games early though. I've waited out epic store too.

Aug 9, 2018
It really isn't. It's a shitty business practice and it'd be better for all gamers if it didn't happen. It's the one thing in the industry I absolutely cannot stand.

Show your strengths on what your product offers not what you can deny through short term anti consumer contracts.
What a statement while cheering for games being denied to other platforms for possibly forever by buying developers/publishers. How would you feel if Sony outright buys Capcom and never released their games on other platforms? Is it better for all gamers then?

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Wonder how much of that is true when the PC version was announced on the same date they revealed the game! How much per minutes does Capcom charge for delaying announcements?

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, both PC announcements were prior to either World or Rise's launch. Though I agree, there is so far no difference between Rise and World's exclusivity deals and impacts are about the same. Stilllll holding hope for cross play or at least saves....

I'll admit that to my knowledge, the PC version came a lot later in development and the game was originally planned as a Switch exclusive.

Sure, Nintendo didn't pay to delay that version but the fact that they paid Capcom to delay any mention of it so that people wouldn't forego the Switch version speaks volumes.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not remembering the leak right now, but i believe Capcom would be capable to release both console and PC versions at the same time if they wanted to. Didn't the leak say something like Nintendo could have bought full switch exclusivity but chose this current aproach instead because money?
Apparently the PC port wasn't added until well into development, so day and date was never on the table. And I don't think what you're saying was part of the leak, no.

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
User Banned (1 Day): Platform Warring
Sony just can't stop losing. You love to see it, but all the better for Capcom to reap the rewards. Lack of Cross Play is the worst thing ever.

Dec 21, 2020
I don't get it, paying to keep crossplay/cross progression out just fucks over your own consumer base anyway?
Discouraging platform switching (from their perspective) actually makes sense. You keep the player invested in your ecosystem this the wider casual market has a harder time deciding "is it right to switch? I have so many games that I can play on this"

Sunk-cost

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This feels off to me. In all my dealings with PC they've never regarded it as a competing platform. Granted, I work with much smaller titles but it's like... not even on the radar

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Discouraging platform switching (from their perspective) actually makes sense. You keep the player invested in your ecosystem this the wider casual market has a harder time deciding "is it right to switch? I have so many games that I can play on this"

Sunk-cost
The problem then lies with every other game that does have cross play though.
what's the sense of doing it if the biggest games (COD/Fortnite) have it?

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
I'll admit that to my knowledge, the PC version came a lot later in development and the game was originally planned as a Switch exclusive.

Sure, Nintendo didn't pay to delay that version but the fact that they paid Capcom to delay any mention of it so that people wouldn't forego the Switch version speaks volumes.
But... that's... what exclusivity is. As far as we know, specifically from factual leaks, a PC release has been in the plans since at *least* 2019 if not 2018, or more, for Rise. It's exactly what Sony did, both companies paid for exclusivity.

Regardless, I will say it doesn't matter in the end - both titles wouldn't have launched simultaneously on PC, both titles had Capcom get paid for exclusivity for a duration, and for now we know that Sony at least paid for no crossplay/cross-saves, and have no idea about Nintendo though its likely the same.

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why Sony paid for this, but they couldn't be assed to throw money to make a Vita game and keep the system from dying in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.