• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So timed exclusivity is bad but spending billions buying studios is ok and even praised by lots of people?

What would the reaction be if Sony bought Capcom? That's ok right?

Just read the recent Square thread and you will see many people wishing for it to be acquired and release their games on gamepass day one.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
One thing to note about the cross-play deal is that the deal would have been before Sony changed/forced to change it's stance on cross-play. It released early 2018 and it was not until the Summer 2018 they started getting push back and not until 2019 until they really begin to make progress (after Layden got called out about it)

Not to say that it does not suck when companies do this, but it might be better in the future.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Is the guy in the OP trustworthy? Never heard of him before, just seems like a rando from Twitter.

I prefer these deals to purchasing publishers though to be honest.

Its still stuff people find out from the Capcom Leak.

unknown.png

unknown.png

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I have no problem with exclusive games, even from third party devs. But the timed exclusive stuff is just a shitty practice, no matter who does it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Also I dont know how people are reacting to just a tweet without the actual document in hand to see for themselves.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Where are people seeing they paid to block cross play? The tweet says they paid to have the pc announcement delayed and are responsible for no cross play which we know since they didn't allow it in 2017. The cross play/ cross save is known info

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I mean... duh? Did anyone think there was another reason why Capcom agreed to timed exclusivity?

Chunchun

Jun 9, 2019
That's why i'm not supporting Sony, Nintendo and Stadia. Delaying PC version is just gives me a hate reason for them.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, MH games have always been exclusive to either a Sony or Nintendo platform in some fashion so this isn't surprising? Rise being exclusive to Switch likely isn't because Capcom just want to throw Nintendo a bone.
Well, knowing that Nintendo did the same with Rise this isn't surprised at all lol

The crossplay/crossave part is very shitty though, Shawn Layden things perharps 😬
IIRC it was explicitly revealed in the Capcom ransomware leaks that Rise's timed exclusivity was paid for by Nintendo.
The same thing is happening with Rise so far.

If it doesn't have cross-play and cross-save then Nintendo made the same deal.

It sucks but it is what it is.
No, it's quite obvious with Rise. With World it was different because it released on Xbox at the same time as PS4.
Didn't this just happened with Rise too?
Capcom just takes money from everyone that wants to give them.
Unless something changed since the last leak, you all aren't remembering correctly, this isn't the case. The only thing paid for was the delayed reveal of the PC version. It was always coming to Switch first. $6 million didn't pay for a year of exclusivity.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty shitty move. Especially the crossplay situation if it is legit. I can't play with my buddies on ps4 because of sony? With all the other shit they been pulling lately...Nah son think I'm done buying their consoles if thats the case.

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy to me that we've gone from paying for full console exclusives to paying to delay PC releases. My guess is the $ to make it full exclusive for Nintendo and Sony (World and Rise) is too much since capcom will make bank on PC, but the $ to delay the PC announcements isn't too high.

I would expect the sake of MHW2 in 2023. PS5/XBS and then PC in 2024

my guess is the anti cross play thing deal happened in 2017 long before the momentum for cross play gained Steam

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
On planet Earth where you can invest those funds into your first party or fund new games. Moneyhatting timed exclusivity for multiformat titles is moronic and short term.

What? That isn't how any of this works.

Your external partnership coffer is not your first party or funding new games coffer. They are different pools led by different teams with different strategic objectives.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
But the game was on Xbox too right from the start....

Maybe this refers to Asian market?

Yueezy

Dec 12, 2020
This practice really sucks and disgusting. It is just taking games away strategically cheap and easy for killing the user base on other platforms. But it seems like Sony keeps on doing it anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
You really can't flip this as a positive. Buying a dev shows commitment for your userbase. Paying millions to deny releases elsewhere for a time period is just awful business practice and a giant waste of funds.

I uh don't agree with that at all personally, buying something for 6 months or a year while shitty, still allows the other user bases to get it eventually, while the other options are the ones that cut off everyone else outside of PC with Microsoft. Even then most Sony timed exclusives come to PC day 1 also. None of them are fully positive in my opinion and I own every damn system available.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not that surprising.
Though is hope that Nintendo/Capcom are cool with with cross Plattform between NSW and PC.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda pathetic when you notice that Sony's business practice is pretty much to not let other people play the games, while not beneficting your own playerbase in any way.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
that account has been known to share info from the capcom leaks for months now. they didn't just randomly tweet the info in the OP.
The document OP just showed doesnt detail anything about stopping PC. So where is the meat here. All that image looks lIke is a poor Japanese translation.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I assumed this was always the case, I'm sure nintendo did the same for rise

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless something changed since the last leak, you all aren't remembering correctly, this isn't the case. The only thing paid for was the delayed reveal of the PC version. It was always coming to Switch first. $6 million didn't pay for a year of exclusivity.
yeah. they just paid to delay the announcement of the PC version by a few months. you can't get much with just 6 million.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
On planet Earth where you can invest those funds into your first party or fund new games. Moneyhatting timed exclusivity for multiformat titles is moronic and short term.

You can't throw money at studios and just make al kinds of games happen. Studios have a specific portfolio and set of talents. And publishers don't want to invest in every type of studio for every type of game. Especially when a particular genre is dominated by a specific franchise. Sometimes it's a more efficient use of money to collaborate with a third party instead of trying to make your own clone.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
90% of the replies didn't actually read the portion of the document that is being detailed here and are still using it as a chance to have another "Fuck Sony" thread. You people are so boring.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, if I'm understanding it right this was way more grimy than what happened with Rise, Sony held back a PC version that would have been either day and date with consoles or much closer to it, instead of Nintendo paying to withhold the news that a PC version is coming but the version was still in development and wasn't going to be launched same day as Switch even without the deal.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It´s always funny to see the usuals that rave around acquisitions going nuts over a timed exclusive.
Just a reminder : a timed exclusive eventually hits another platforms, a publisher/studio bought never hits another platform again.

Status
Not open for further replies.