• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully I'm not the only one who didn't know this. They voted on the issue back in 2010 and SEVENTY-EIGHT percent of people voted against the change.

CNN said:
Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo signed an executive order Monday that could change the state's official name to exclude a portion that has ties to slavery.

The state's official name is "the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations," and the "Providence Plantations" portion has come under scrutiny in the aftermath of protests following the death of George Floyd.

Raimondo signed executive order 20-48, which addressed the slavery ties and puts the issue as a referendum on the ballot in November.

In the meantime, Rhode Island will cease using the state's full name in executive orders and on the state's official websites and official government documents.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know that. I live near the border of CT and RI in CT, so I can't vote, but I imagine they'll vote the correct way here. I like RI a lot.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Me: "This seems like something that has to be a legal technicality that they just never officially changed"

Me:
tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500.gif

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Is the origin for RI due to it being a slave plantation? Or was plantation just a more common term for land at the time regardless if slaves worked it?

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
Mmhmm, historically Providence Plantations refers to the small plot of land that the founder Roger Williams peacefully negotiated getting with the Narragansett Native Americans whom he was friends with. At the time it referred to farmland in 1636 and only a few families lived on it, but obviously RI would eventually become heavily involved in the slave trade and even of those very Narragansett Natives within the next couple of decades. So it definitely took on the connotation we all know it as today even though it wasn't the original intent

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
As someone who used to go to Rhode Island often with an ex girlfriend to see her family, A LOT of racists are going to be up in arms about this.

Good.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Mmhmm, historically Providence Plantations refers to the small plot of land that the founder Roger Williams peacefully negotiated getting with the Narragansett Native Americans whom he was friends with. At the time it referred to farmland in 1636 and only a few families lived on it, but obviously RI would eventually become heavily involved in the slave trade and even of those very Narragansett Natives within the next couple of decades. So it definitely took on the connotation we all know it as today even though it wasn't the original intent
Good to know. Well, we'll see what the vote is. But based on the last attempt, it doesn't look promising.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
the word "plantation" originally just referred to agricultural estates, not specifically ones that used slave labor. that connotation has long since been subsumed by the legacy of slavery. nobody will genuinely cry about this name change

dots

Oct 27, 2017
It was the first colony to outlaw slavery, though. Rhode Island isn't all bad, just mostly bad.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Rhode Island is just the actual island in the bay.

I've always thought it was a cool piece of trivia, but I guess it doesn't hurt to remove it if people have that instinctive reaction to the name - I guess it's hard to move away from that in the Americas in particular. I'd prefer actual structural changes but you may as well do the easy stuff first.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
the word "plantation" originally just referred to agricultural estates, not specifically ones that used slave labor. that connotation has long since been subsumed by the legacy of slavery. nobody will genuinely cry about this name change

The reason I found out about this is because I overheard someone from Rhode Island complaining about the potential change.

Also, 78% of people voted against changing the name in 2010.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Is the origin for RI due to it being a slave plantation? Or was plantation just a more common term for land at the time regardless if slaves worked it?

Plantation, at the time, was a generic term for any estate used to plant crops. Roger Williams, the person who founded Rhode Island, was an abolitionist. The name of the British colony was "The Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantation," and it seems like they just changed Colony to "State" during the American Revolution.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
It was the first colony to outlaw slavery, though. Rhode Island isn't all bad, just mostly bad.
I'd actually dispute that, I'm pretty familiar with RI's colonial history and the law I think you're referring (1652's) said Africans were to be freed after ten years of slavery or once they turned either 18 or 21 I believe it was. It was essentially never enforced however and the law itself is nullified by the end of the 1600's. Took RI much longer to end slavery

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
We voted on this years ago and it failed by A LOT. It will probably fail again honestly. Rhode Islanders revel in being different and having such a long name is just one of those things people have latched onto. Honestly I don't care either way. The only time you hear the full name is in court or you see it on official documents. I'll vote to change it because it just makes sense to do so.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yeah. It leans a bit harder on New York. I had to work on losing mine back in the day. Once I went to a high school closer to the Cape, people just kept asking why I sound like an idiot.

The RI and southeastern MA accent is a lot different and closer to New York.
Other than being non-rhotic I think my accent is more NY than Boston. I also get a lot of people who think I'm British when they hear me talk.

I was focusing on the 'racist' part.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
Also I'd like to point out that it's not officially on the ballot yet, it's pretty expected that it will be but the resolution still needs to pass the state level House of Representatives first.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Can I vote to have this name required to be put on every map?

Oct 25, 2017
As a Rhode Islander, the name does not need to be changed because "Providence Plantations" is a reference to slavery. It is not.

It needs to be changed because it's way too long and nobody knows that it's our name anyways. The full name just amounts to a goofy answer to a trivia question. All it does is waste ink.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Told my parents to vote for the change. I think it's just a silly name and needing so much history to explain it's origin is just silly. I do not think it will pass unless people campaign am for the change, most people would just like to keep the long name. I do wonder what proportion of RI folks know the story of the name, I know it as I was raised there and my history teacher in high school was a pro.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did not know that at all.

Also yikes at the majority voting against in 2010 but not surprised.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
This means they will remove the term plantations altogether or replace it with something else, eg providence estates?