• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
really bizarre they're being all restrictive with the first person stuff considering all of the customization stuff AND you can play in third person when driving a vehicle

at least I'll be able to appreciate how my character looks when riding a bike I guess

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It seems like a weird decision this far in development. I mean, last year's E3 footage was a perfect mix of first and third person, the latter being used to great effect in cutscenes. I trust CDPR, but I feel like they're compromising a lot.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright and they changed it. They gave you plenty of notice too.

I guess? that has nothing to do with what you were saying though.

Hasn't it been confirmed for awhile now it's going to be in first person? The cutscenes being FP only was news to me tho. But even then, on every footage they always said shit is subject to change and the final product might be different.

Yeah we've known gameplay was first person since they officially announed the game last year. This thread is specifically about cutscenes though.

And sure, everything is subject to change, but when's the last time a notable game showed "normal" cutscenes in prerelease footage, and even had devs going out of their way multiple times to confirm that cutscenes where you could see your character were a thing. And then a year later quietly reverts all that, through a DM text to a random fan?

it is bizarre that a camera choice is pissing this many people off. If this game comes out and it is a classic, are y'all really not going to play it because you can't see your character?

Being upset with a decision or part of a game pre-release is not that same as saying "now I won't play it"

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It seems like a weird decision this far in development. I mean, last year's E3 footage was a perfect mix of first and third person, the latter being used to great effect in cutscenes. I trust CDPR, but I feel like they're compromising a lot.
I mean was it though, there were literally only three cutscenes in third person and their combined run time lasted less than two minutes in a 48 minute video. The first two were V getting in and out of an elevator and then that transitioned to a demonstration of a romance option and V's apartment. Like the apartment cutscene was good but that was pretty much it in terms of third person cinematics.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Eden really out here.

I understand that people have strong opinions about Cyberpunk's direction but no matter what your opinion on the game, please come away with a better understanding of first and third person perspective. Or at least, respect that things PROBABLY take more work and incorporate more than you think they do.

(I feel like I'm going to be posting this list until the game comes out)
  • General room size
  • Third-Person camera control + correction
  • Amount of environment detail / Amount of "fidelity" required to play the game
  • All the third-person animations
  • Dialogue/cutscene camera
  • Player visibility in environments
And lastly, I think people are trying to glean way too much from a single message, even if it is from CDPR. As shown earlier in the thread, it seems like other CDPR representatives have (seemingly) indicated that there are still a few third-person cutscenes. Personally I'm very excited to see what interesting cutscenes they have, especially in all the choices you might have to change or interrupt it.
That fact that he's saying that as recently as a week ago just makes this whole thing even weirder. Surely such a huge shift in cutscene direction would be known to people sent to gamescom.
I think some people are assuming way too much about "scrapped" material, as if this is some random development, if such a development even exists lol. It's a single message that may not even reflect the actual game, and probably can't be used to make assumptions about potential changes in the game's direction/content.

Also, if I never hear the word "option" after "third-person" it'll be too soon.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeesh, fist person camera really constrains the cinematographical potential of cutscenes. Not something I'll be skipping the game over but absolutely not the call I'd have made.

(Also, I hate the "first person is always more immersive than third" thinking with a passion. It comes out of people with only the most superficial understanding of how immersion is established and broken, something that has very, very little to do with whether the camera is first or third person)

Immersion is a word that I wished was left behind last gen but it still pops up everytime and usually by people who use it wrongly. It's not like first person games are always made to the way human eyes actually see. And do people really forget that they're playing a game?

Any case, it is disappointing to see that there's no 3rd person cutscenes. I don't really fancy 1st person cutscenes.

Miya Moto

Jun 4, 2018
Disappointing if true. I find 3rd person cut scenes way more immersive than fps. And the 3rd person cut scenes they'e shown so far have been great.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I've got no problem with people disappointed in the change, or choosing not to buy the game because third person is important to them. I've been excited about buying games I thought I'd like but because of some later learned or developed aspect was ultimately deterred from doing so. The broadness of human taste is vast and you can't make everyone happy, and it's especially disappointing when a title you're anticipating takes a direction that ultimately isn't for you. I really wish I could have kept playing and adored Assassin's Creed: Black Flag because the pirating, sailing, and world exploration was really sublime and there's so few sailing games out there. But the trademark Assassin's Creed stealth, mission structure, combat, and collectables is so halfarsed dogshit (or was especially back then) that the entire game was ruined.

Reality is here though CDPR are under no obligation to make a game for anyone in particular. No developer is. If they don't feel a third person perspective, both at behest of the player's control and/or just briefly in cutscenes, is currently worth pursuing then so be it. Could be for development reasons (maybe it was proving to be a technical hurdle). Could be for stylistic reasons (maybe they felt incredibly irregular shifts to third person were jarring). Could be a combination of those, and/or more. But that's their choice in the game they want to make.

It's shit if you were excited for the game and you find first person perspectives disorientating. That really sucks. But it's not CDPR's job to compromise their vision and pipeline and retailor the entire game around something it wasn't built for.
It's shit if you like to look at your character and play dress-ups and that's a major draw for you to RPGs. But it's not CDPR's job to build a game that caters to a very specific preference in one particular aspect of some RPG design, that isn't a critical component here.

If these things cost you enjoyment, if you feel equipping gear is thus rendered pointless, if you can't play the game because it's first person, that's shit and that sucks and expressing disappointment is fine and thankfully you have the freedom to vote with your wallet (as you should).

But those acting with such reactionary hyperbole as if CDPR is on a train wreck collision course, and this is evident of some disastrous production, of which has wronged their fans yet again, fans of which are owed to get-what-they-want, is such a childish response to otherwise trivialities. Not necessarily implying it's all here, but man Twitter is unsurprisingly a shitshow.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to go ahead and trust that they know what they're doing. While I did love some of the earlier cinematic stuff that they're doing but I think in the long run this is probably the better more cohesive choice. Also, this makes the potential for VR support maybe down the line a lot more of a point to salivate over.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
FP view feels like a mistake for this game. I still wonder why it couldn't be like the witcher or work around that.

Why have such an interesting character creation tool if you won't see it at all?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
it is bizarre that a camera choice is pissing this many people off. If this game comes out and it is a classic, are y'all really not going to play it because you can't see your character?
Keep in mind this game is going to sell 20 million copies at least. A couple hundred people on reset era don't mean shit. They aren't as notable in their numbers as they'd like to project. And I say that as someone who will not play the game.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
First person causes extreme nausea for me, so I personally prefer 3rd, but that boat clearly sailed a long time ago. CDPR wants to do 1st person, and I respect their decision.
Same, sadly. I really want to play it but it's very unlikely I can.

Also, I don't really understand how first-person-only cutscences could be possible but we'll find out I guess?

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I totally forgot that initial demo even had third person custcenes and assumed the game was already going to be first person as much as possible for cutscenes and stuff.

Fine with it either way though.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
IMO, at this point the 'we can neither confirm nor deny' response by CDPR either means one of two things.

They don't want the negative attention this will draw from some...

Or....unlikely though it may be, the definition of what is considered a 'cutscene' may be subjective, here.

The post-rescue scene on the elevator with Jackie discussing what to do with the reward money, for example....could be a different kind of 'cutscene' than the ones the devs talk about wanting to give players the ability to interrupt/change the storyline - or even something like the first set of ripperdoc upgrades.

The former is (arguably) more more like a flavor bit, as opposed to having a big set showpiece.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Half-life 2
Portal 2
Titanfall 2
Bioshock series
Metro series
Crysis series

The common theme here is these are almost all first person shooters and not highly customisable role playing games. If CP2077 was a game more in that vein then it's whatever. But to have a deeply customisable player character and then barely being able to see said character is bonkers to me.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I was a little interested especially if there is a demo but now I'm not.
First-person is for VR only not on a limited view flat screen in my opinion

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
So, they are going hard on Ray Tracing Reflections for this game, uh?

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Now this is bizarre. There's no way they're doing a shift like this so late unless potentially somewhat serious production issues. Maybe the stuff in the OP is generally meaning that most of the cutscenes are FPP?

They've supposedly been in production issues since E3 not meeting deadlines and cutting content. It likely doesn't help that with current and former CDPR employees speaking to Kotaku on work culture in the company and then them publicly coming out about fixing that and a "no crunch" culture, that they're under more scrutiny now.

I also think they've got way too many people trying to communicate things be it via social media DMs, official forums, Reddit and discord that the messages are getting muddled and confused.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Idk why people are assuming 1st person means more less work. However, I'm wondering if the person responding meant to say "most cutscenes will be 1st person with a few in 3rd person". They'll probably be addressing this soon. Not that it changes the core game.

Its honestly interesting to see how the biggest games get the most scrutiny from individuals which is something the devs and PR probably should keep in mind when answering questions since they are under a microscope

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
That's super dumb. Why have a character creator and clothing options if you will never see your character ingame?

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I hope there are at least some in third person. I'm fine if it is like they showed in the first gameplay demo.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
Hopefully this will allow for even a small chance of modding VR into the game.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
This smells entirely like it's rooted in last-minute cuts to try to make their deadline, and not at all like a late-in-the-game creative epiphany. Animating 3rd person cutscenes, especially with the level of finesse captured by the various game demos CDPR has shown to this point, is a _ton_ of work and honestly one of the things I was most looking forward to about the game. I may be more "immersed" in a first person view, but I'll feel less connection to my character and the world if I'm not reminded of what I look like or of my place in the world in context.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
Idk why people are assuming 1st person means more less work. However, I'm wondering if the person responding meant to say "most cutscenes will be 1st person with a few in 3rd person". They'll probably be addressing this soon. Not that it changes the core game.

Its honestly interesting to see how the biggest games get the most scrutiny from individuals which is something the devs and PR probably should keep in mind when answering questions since they are under a microscope
Yes 3rd person needs more work, the animation by itself is a big deal, otherwise they could simply offer both views and you can switch for example.

Anyway, I guess part of the reason is the decision they made about having gender-less characters, I mean to avoid eventually doing male and female animations IDK

Status
Not open for further replies.