• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
.... no way.

When will we see all the customisation on our character then, weird.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Curious as to why they'd put all that effort into a character creator if the player isn't going to see them for more than a few minutes in the final product.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
So this will be the game with the best character creator, but you can't enjoy your creation.

Really disappointing.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
It would be something to see considering even deus ex used third person cutscenes. Still interested, anyways

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not too bothered by this, though it's a little weird that this is how we're finding out about it. Unless it's a miscommunication somehow.
What's the point of customizing a character you're never gonna see? Why even bother wasting resources at that point?
I'm not sure how suddenly removing a feature they've been working on stops them wasting resources.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this.

In the more recent Deus Ex games you'd have the regular 3rd person conversation system, but then the special first person mode for that augment that can read people's emotions.

I thought that dichotomy was really bad.

Yes. While I'm sure CD Projekt Red would do a much better job with that dichotomy but it always creates a major disconnect for me.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Dayum lots of people in here need more variety in their gaming habits.

First, third, whatever I just want to play that shit

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I mean,

Call of duty game campaigns are cinematic bombasts. Those are in first person. There is Bioshock, Half-Life and plenty of others.
I wouldn't say any of those completely stick the landing at all

Godon isn't even a character, the best CoD narrative (Infinite Warfare ) has third person cutscenes, and not seeing Booker actually interact with Liz is a huge detriment to Bioshock Infinte's story

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
How are the reflections in this game? Maybe I can at least look at my character in a mirror...

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
That still sounds ridiculously restrictive and situational.
It's a first person role playing game, those are the ways you'd naturally see yourself in first person.

Even if you didn't though, character creation still adds to the role playing experience by getting to make your own appearance. Kind of like how choosing between "No thank you." or "Fuck no!" in a dialogue tree would lead to the same result, but is still a good to have multiple choices for the sake of role playing.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not too bothered by this, though it's a little weird that this is how we're finding out about it. Unless it's a miscommunication somehow.

I'm not sure how suddenly removing a feature they've been working on stops them wasting resources.
Why make such a heavy feature in the first place if you're barley gonna be able to appreciate it?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm totally on board with the game being 1st person, it totally makes sense, especially as a Deus Ex fan.

But I would have liked some 3rd person cutscenes considering the cinematography that we saw from the 48 minute demo was actually damn good.

Though like someone else said in this thread, maybe they really are looking to implement full VR down the road.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A journalist? I think you may have gone off the deep end a bit on what kind of options this game will provide. :P
Here's the interview where Mike Pondsmith said that all the roles from the original game would be in 2077

The original 9 roles were:
Rockerboy, Solo, Netrunner, Techie, Media, Cops, Corporate, Fixers and Nomads

Obviously the game was heavily revamped around 2016/7 or so and they axed a lot of the non-combat roles. Call me naive, call it feature creep on their part, but there's certainly been a disappointing amount of cuts regarding this game to get it to run on the 8th gen consoles and ship it in a decent amount of time.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with this. I like how immersive they're going for. Like you can look down and see V's body, so wearing new gear or clothes will have a cool immersive element to it. I'm fine with only seeing the character in mirrors, menus and car stuff.

arkay

Nov 8, 2017
Everything they've revealed/shown since the initial teaser years back (with the exception of Keanu Reeves) has killed some of the excitement for me. I'll likely still get it but at this point, it could be in the "wait for a price cut or complete edition" category..

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say any of those completely stick the landing at all

Godon isn't even a character, the best CoD narrative (Infinite Warfare ) has third person cutscenes, and not seeing Booker actually interact with Liz is a huge detriment to Bioshock Infinte's story
I'm sorry you don't like those, but the previous poster was intimating that no such thing exists. And the quality of each is up for interpretation.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Can I please cyberpunk my eyes onto a drone and make my own 3rd person view

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a first person role playing game, those are the ways you'd naturally see yourself in first person.

Even if you didn't though, character creation still adds to the role playing experience by getting to make your own appearance. Kind of like how choosing between "No thank you." or "Fuck no!" in a dialogue tree would lead to the same result, but is still a good to have multiple choices for the sake of role playing.
Yeah still not interested. I don't care about any of this "immersion" nonsense I want to see my character who I'm supposedly supposed to put a lot of care into for more then five minutes total of what I imagine is supposed to be a very meaty game.

Gonna wait for a sale now.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is a generational thing. I grew up playing FPS games and loved the immersion of that perspective, and find it hard to feel connected to characters from a third-person perspective, in the same way I didn't feel like I was the character in 2d games.

I didn't mind the third-person cinematics, but it feels like an out-of-body experience when a FPS game does that so I don't feel any big loss if they're removed.

Man... I'm not gonna be hyperbolic, but as time goes on the list of features cut from the game has really made me sad.

I went from dreaming about playing a Journalist where I could play through the entire game without firing a gun and the ability to create a deeply custom character, to basically a bigger Deus Ex with vehicles and without any sort of 3rd person cutscenes.

While you can't be a journalist, the devs confirmed that you can do a pacifist run through the game, and it will actually change the narrative which I find cool.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I also wouldn't be surprised if this meant a reduction in the number of character customizations such as clothes and visual augments because players will see those less.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Followed this game for 6 years and it's disappointing reading about the cuts to make launch. No more apartments and no more tpp cutscenes.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Don't get me wrong, I like first person perspective in RPGs like Deus Ex, Fallout, TES etc. but you have to give people at least something. It's the small things like cutscenes when you actually see that you're more than a pair of hands glued to a camera. I appreciated how the gameplay side was handled in Rainbow Six: Vegas for example.

Also, those first person cutscenes always take me back to Call of Duty and how goofy everything was set up, so it accommodates the shortcomings of fpp. Hell even Kingdom Come did that right... at least something.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I'm ok with this. The game already looked to be like 90 percent in FPP so it makes sense to cut the rest of TPP out and focus on FPP only. Having TPP would just take me out of the immersion after spending so much time and interacting with everyone in FPP.

I guess we'll just see our character by looking down, in mirrors/reflections and on cameras, which would make me appreciate those moments even more.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Between Jackie and Johnny Silverhand I was wondering if they were going to do the first-person storytelling on thing of putting the emotive weight on the secondary character's shoulders (Alyx Vance, Captain Price), them kind of becoming the protagonists of the story.

I'm don't expect the issue of feeling like a floating camera after the 15 minute demo. There seemed to be quite a lot of personality in your choices. Modifications will likely appear in your vision or in you hands. Clothing hopefully will matter more in how the world reacts to you, than in needing to see it yourself.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Should have went with a pre-set character, like Geralt, if they couldn't fully commit resources to a customizable character

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I feel like we've all been duped to pre order (buttering us up) and now the legs have been pulled out from underneath us now that they hype is beyond palpable.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I also wouldn't be surprised if this meant a reduction in the number of character customizations such as clothes and visual augments because players will see those less.
I noticed in the recent gameplay trailer that it seemed like there were about 6 hairstyles (probably 12 for both genders).

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
We'll be using mirrors as intended.

cyberpunk-2077_6069434.jpg

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Why make such a heavy feature in the first place if you're barley gonna be able to appreciate it?
If this change is legit then clearly it's a change that came late in development. Based on the footage last year they were going for 3rd person cut scenes and something has happened in the time since that forced them to change, they'd already invested a lot of time and resources into the customisation so they're not going to just cut all that.

But also I still appreciate having it there and I'm sure plenty of others will. If they didn't have any customisation odds are we'd be stuck as a white dude, at least now there's opportunity for people to create a character that they feel is more representative of themselves.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah still not interested. I don't care about any of this "immersion" nonsense I want to see my character who I'm supposedly supposed to put a lot of care into for more then five minutes total of what I imagine is supposed to be a very meaty game.

Gonna wait for a sale now.

People talking about "immersion" but if that was the case why even have 3rd person for vehicles.
They should go all the way and have everything in first person only.

Oct 26, 2017
Man... I'm not gonna be hyperbolic, but as time goes on the list of features cut from the game has really made me sad.

I went from dreaming about playing a Journalist where I could play through the entire game without firing a gun and the ability to create a deeply custom character, to basically a bigger Deus Ex with vehicles and without any sort of 3rd person cutscenes.

And I love Deus Ex, it's just not what I wanted from this game. Hopefully the sequel can bring back some of the early promises.

LOL, you clearly dreamt too big. In how many games can you play a variety of characters, each with its own job, storyline, npcs, etc?
Videogames are still decades away from tabletop games flexibility.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh. I doubt I would even notice.

Shame that this deprives people who really wanted it though.

I think I agree with what has been said earlier: it is quite likely that SOME third person features will be released as part of post-go live support.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Here's the interview where Mike Pondsmith said that all the roles from the original game would be in 2077

Obviously the game was heavily revamped around 2016/7 or so and they axed a lot of the non-combat roles. Call me naive, call it feature creep on their part, but there's certainly been a disappointing amount of cuts regarding this game to get it to run on the 8th gen consoles and ship it in a decent amount of time.
Yup. All the possible roles had me super excited for the combat possibilities and Role-play styles. But after the last combat trailer, i could not give a shit about the combat. The stealth seems half assed, and all the focus seems to be in shooting shit in slow motion.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
It's really interesting reading other people's perspectives on this, particularly from the folks who feel first person is more immersive for them, because i've personally never felt the floating arms and weapons of first person games that are rarely positioned where they should actually be on an actual person are all that immersive.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
A LOT of people seem to have trouble coming to terms with the fact that they're buying a first person shooter RPG. That said, shame because the direction of the cutscenes, dialogue aside, looked good with some really neat cinematography, pacing, and details like V's eyes lighting up when she answered a phone call. Along with some good transitions to first person.
TrDhhb6.gif

was looking forward to seeing more of that in the final game.
Yup, going to miss that a lot. Hopefully main event still has 3rd person camera.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017

It is naive. This probably happens with every big game. Tons of stuff ends on the cutting room floor because the game can't just remain in dev forever. The real problem was revealing the game too early.

Status
Not open for further replies.