• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure how it being called Icetide instead of Christmas in the Anthemverse is a counter argument to it still being embarrassing

Because there are events tied to this that people may want to play or complete? What's wrong with giving them more time for that?

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I'm not really sure how it being called Icetide instead of Christmas in the Anthemverse is a counter argument to it still being embarrassing
Because they have it up on purpose, with a fixed end date, instead of the narrative the tweet and op want to push of the game being abandoned and that people who know nothing but like to shit on stuff love to jump on to.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of when I had crippling depression and my friends asked me why my house was still decorated for Christmas in March

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
they should just lean into it and make the people of anthem obsessed with christmas all year like the whos in whoville

Lavpa Jasai

Oct 27, 2017
Looking for an honest answer that doesn't invoke the hate train that this game seems to get anytime it's posted about on the internet (I don't know if it's deserved or not, hence my question)

Would this game be fun for a group of 4 people who just want to fly around and shoot stuff and could get copies for cheap? Like I don't care about any of the drama surrounding launch, I just want to know if it's a fun experience for 4 people to play through co-op.

Additionally, is there any sufficient evidence that a huge 2.0 reboot is coming? Trying to decide if it's been abandoned and worth jumping into now or if EA/Bioware plan on doing a 2.0 and we should wait.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
It's sad to see cause I enjoyed my time with it. I guess this reboot is never happening. Although I can't blame them at this point. Would any still care.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
It's ok to not like something, or to even be disappointed by a product. The problem here is that many events tied to a holiday are extended so individuals have a chance to get the rewards. As far as I am aware, certain cosmetic changes are tied to a particular build, so the Christmas theme wouldn't even be removed until the game is reverted back to, or updated to another build. This is kind of agenda-y.

I have personally never played this title outside of the beta which I enjoyed, but the story does fit a specific narrative.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Looking for an honest answer that doesn't invoke the hate train that this game seems to get anytime it's posted about on the internet (I don't know if it's deserved or not, hence my question)

Would this game be fun for a group of 4 people who just want to fly around and shoot stuff and could get copies for cheap? Like I don't care about any of the drama surrounding launch, I just want to know if it's a fun experience for 4 people to play through co-op.

Additionally, is there any sufficient evidence that a huge 2.0 reboot is coming? Trying to decide if it's been abandoned and worth jumping into now or if EA/Bioware plan on doing a 2.0 and we should wait.

If you can buy it for mega cheap then it's fun enough. Just don't take its multiplayer scene seriously.

EA has a history of straight up killing controversial games. They canceled their DLC plans for Andromeda. There are rumours of a relaunch, but historically EA does not have much mercy.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017

The answer is yes. I play it stil from time to time literally just to fly around and kill things. That's the most disappointing part of the whole game, the gameplay is actually fun if they would've built more complexity around the systems it would've been a great game.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I don't know what's sadder; the fact they're still up or the fact that it took until February for anyone to even notice and give a shit.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017

The first is a matter of opinion. A lot of people like the gameplay, but there's a gated section that literally requires you to do busywork and was intentionally added simply to pad the game's length. The loot can also be somewhat underwhelming. So the answer is maybe?

For the second, that rumor comes from Jason Schreier, who has demonstrated through multiple articles (and a book!) that he does have solid connections inside Bioware. Now when the overhaul will come out, whether it'll be quality at all given recent Bioware output, and even whether it'll come out or be killed somewhere along the line is up in the air. Basically, I wouldn't invest in the game on the possibility of the overhaul coming (not to mention that I suspect there's exists a remote possibility that Anthem would go F2P when it comes out in an attempt to get people to jump back on-board a heavily damaged IP).

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
MHW christmas event will be up till 13th feb, are capgods dead again?
There's the winter seasonal event ongoing, but didn't the explicitly Christmas themed festival end in early January?

Regardless if MHW really does still have the Christmas event ongoing that's pretty embarrassing too.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
It's 8 weeks
Current week is 8th

Okay, thanks for the heads up! Looks like I'm loading up Anthem this weekend!

Your first question: Yes, I think so. I had fun doing exactly that with just one other friend. That said, I don't play many live service games, so perhaps there are other games that are more worth your time.

Your second question: Nothing official, but it seems like it's happening. Jason Schreier at Kotaku said it's coming, and the developers have been vaguely alluding to major changes coming down the road for a while now. I'd only say it's not coming if EA recently pulled the plug on the efforts, but we haven't seen any reports saying that.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Reminds me of what happened at the end of the life cycle for Phantasy Star Online on the original Xbox.

The servers never got updated after the last Christmas event started, resulting in it being decorated as such for something like two years until the servers were taken down.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
And the game even got an update a week ago.

I guess nobody communicates at BioWare Austin (and let's be real, there's almost no one in Edmonton who really works on this)

m23

Oct 25, 2017

It has fun moment to moment gameplay, it's everything else that just kind of ruins it. I didn't like the story and the structure of the game at launch was terrible. If you're just looking for something to fly around and shoot stuff with your friends, you might enjoy it for a cheap price. The length of the story mode wasn't bad, and you can play it all in co-op.

Lavpa Jasai

Oct 27, 2017
Your first question: Yes, I think so. I had fun doing exactly that with just one other friend. That said, I don't play many live service games, so perhaps there are other games that are more worth your time.

Your second question: Nothing official, but it seems like it's happening. Jason Schreier at Kotaku said it's coming, and the developers have been vaguely alluding to major changes coming down the road for a while now. I'd only say it's not coming if EA recently pulled the plug on the efforts, but we haven't seen any reports saying that.

It has fun moment to moment gameplay, it's everything else that just kind of ruins it. I didn't like the story and the structure of the game at launch was terrible. If you're just looking for something to fly around and shoot stuff with your friends, you might enjoy it for a cheap price. The length of the story mode wasn't bad, and you can play it all in co-op.

Awesome thanks for the response. Yeah I'm not looking for any GaaS game to invest in long term, just looking for a fun shooter of some kind and shooting around in Iron Man type suits seems to fit the bill, but it's hard to sift through if it's enjoyable or not because there is so much hate out there for it.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I%27m_Not_There.jpg

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
So it's a planned event? Doesn't seem that weird then. I mean Pokemon GO normally keeps whatever holiday login screen for months after the fact.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem has a dozen empty soda cans on the floor of its bedroom and hasn't changed its bed sheets in months.

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
MHW on PC is still having their Christmas event going on and it is February. Guess OP thinks Capcom is lazy dev and MHW is a ded game because they dare to let events run for an extended period so people can actually play them.

You mean the Grand appreciation fest? That started mid-January to celebrate the release of MonHun World?

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
There's the winter seasonal event ongoing, but didn't the explicitly Christmas themed festival end in early January?

Regardless if MHW really does still have the Christmas event ongoing that's pretty embarrassing too.

The winter fest stopped long before the current one started.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
On the positive, this thread is the most attention Anthem has gotten in awhile.

Sure, it's a nothingburger, but it's a SOMETHING nothingburger.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It's almost sad how many people don't bother to read through the thread.
Awesome thanks for the response. Yeah I'm not looking for any GaaS game to invest in long term, just looking for a fun shooter of some kind and shooting around in Iron Man type suits seems to fit the bill, but it's hard to sift through if it's enjoyable or not because there is so much hate out there for it.
For that, I'd say it will be suitable. To give you a clearer idea, there's 4 classes. I don't remember the names of them exactly but the Assault trooper class is your Iron Man class; jack of all trades kinda gameplay. The Storm class is basically your mecha-mage. Interceptor is a melee ninja type of thing. And lastly you have the Colossus's: tanks that let you shield bash through everything and fire mini nukes as their special.
The flying around aspect is really good. There's a temperature gauge though, but you'll find tons of ways to slow it down or reduce it (like flying down or through waterfalls, etc.).
If that sounds fun then you'll enjoy it. I have no idea how the games state is currently though, since I uninstalled it a long time ago

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It's almost sad how many people don't bother to read through the thread.

For that, I'd say it will be suitable. To give you a clearer idea, there's 4 classes. I don't remember the names of them exactly but the Assault trooper class is your Iron Man class; jack of all trades kinda gameplay. The Storm class is basically your mecha-mage. Interceptor is a melee ninja type of thing. And lastly you have the Colossus's: tanks that let you shield bash through everything and fire mini nukes as their special.
The flying around aspect is really good. There's a temperature gauge though, but you'll find tons of ways to slow it down or reduce it (like flying down or through waterfalls, etc.).
If that sounds fun then you'll enjoy it. I have no idea how the games state is currently though, since I uninstalled it a long time ago
Hey I read through the thread before laughing at Anthem, I won't take this slander.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I still play this game weekly and have noticed it. To note, though, this seems connected to their winter season, it's not a Christmas-only event thing. Fun fact: their whole open world is in winter now, there's snow everywhere, which is honestly a bit impressive because I don't think I've seen an MMO actually change the whole game world for a season.