• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Im curious how the multiplayer would work. Different move set and gameplay for each game like Halo MCC, or create a base gameplay across all the maps.The Gears franchise share so many maps with each other and all have very similar gameplay so I could totally see the latter happening.

I reckon they either stick to one games multiplayer (3) and try to put as much of the old maps in that system, or just have the maps repeated but with all three games.

Halo also shares many of the same maps, but you just get to play the same maps but with different mechanics/systems. I mean There's like 3 different versions of Lockout and I think 4 of midship on Halo MCC.

Halo more or less plays the same between all games while Gears had pretty major changes in controls so jumping back

Nah whilst the games might feel similar, the difference between Halo 1, 2, and 3 is pretty massive in terms of how they play and feel. The difference between Halo 2 and 3 just from a hitscan/bullet projectile alone is enough.

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
I would personally be more interested in a Fable collection, but (correct me if I'm wrong) it seems like the next fable game is a lot closer than the next gears so this makes sense. I also think Microsoft probably likes the mp aspect of gears more,something you wouldn't get with fable.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this is true, would be really nice to have them all on PC and it would help fill the hole in MS release schedule left by the recent delays.

Gears 5 MP has updated skins for pretty much every Gears character ever, wonder if they could reuse some of that work.

Would love it but...I havent bought Gears 1 on PC because it's like 100GB all by itself.

Would a collection of all 3/Judgement be closer to 200GB? Hopefully if they do a collection they sort out the file size because I couldn't justify 100GB on my SSD just for Gears 1.

Gears is absolutely my favourite Xbox franchise it just pushes all the right buttons for me. Even though 4's story was a bit wank it's characters, gameplay and multiplayer were still top notch.

Edit* After google searching it says the file size should be 44GB so not sure what happened with mine. Installed it during a gamepass trial and it definelty said it was just under 100GB. Maybe so.e kind of Windows store fuckery but Ibplayed it for like an hour then uninstalled it to free up space.

In the Master Chief Collection you can pick and choose which parts you want to have installed, this would probably be similar.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
In the Master Chief Collection you can pick and choose which parts you want to have installed, this would probably be similar.
Yea and I like that but I also like the fact I have them all installed and the size isn't crazy considering it's like 6 games.

I don't like having to choose between the games in the collection I'd rather have them all available. It's nice that the feature is there though. I just remember Gears 1 Ultimate being much higher. I don't think anyone wants to have these games be 100GB each or the collection be above 200GB for all games. I think MCC is under 150GB for everything installed?

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Gears 3 on Series X is amazing at 1440p and 120fps with auto HDR. Just a great experience, so a fully optimized version of the original trilogy with Atmos sound would be amazing.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot gears 1 ultimate already exists lol. iirc, on console, it's locked at 30fps and didn't get any kind of xbone X enhancements. so that game needs SOME work done, but they're in a good starting place with a base remaster existing already
never tried the pc port, but iirc gears 1 vista port was also iffy as well. I wanted to like ultimate on xbox so much, but the sluggish fps just felt weird when I finally got around to trying it on gamepass in ~2018 lol

just how bad was your experience with pc port? I just upgraded my pc so I may check it out just to see, but I feel like i'll be wasting time/bandwidth getting it setup lol
Gears 1 Ultimate is FPS boosted to 60fps on Series X|S.

It was also the game the BC team used as an example of increasing the resolution 2x to 4k but have yet to enhance any Xbox One games with this feature.

Kamiya-meha

Feb 25, 2022
I know Gears is more lucrative but there's a reason MS was criticized for being Halo/Gears/Forza last gen. (This coming from someone who thinks Rare Replay is one of the greatest things ever and bought a Series X). Fable would've been far more interesting, though I am thrilled for my best friend who is a huge Gears fan. I would never say the series isn't quality. I just don't care for the genre.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I know Gears is more lucrative but there's a reason MS was criticized for being Halo/Gears/Forza last gen. (This coming from someone who thinks Rare Replay is one of the greatest things ever and bought a Series X). Fable would've been far more interesting, though I am thrilled for my best friend who is a huge Gears fan. I would never say the series isn't quality. I just don't care for the genre.

I'd have loved Fable as well. Feels like Gears least needed this treatment.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Gears 2 gets the full remaster treatment I will be so happy. One of my most nostalgic games ever.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
so the issue I see with a MP suite is the varying ways the games evolved over time. do you put cover cancelling into Gears 1? do you keep the horrible shotgun from Gears 2? do you keep the overpowered loadout weapons from Gears 3?

all this coupled with the fact Gears 5 has struggled with population worries me about a collection.

I think the best thing to do is to bring the iconic maps Epic made (sorry Coalition, you suck as map creation) into Gears 6 day one.

------------------

campaigns? sure, go for it

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Gears would be lame.

Gimme a Forza Horizon collection where we fast travel between each map and can choose to carry our vehicles across.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
I would really appreciate this because I have been interested in played the latest Gears but didn't want to play the old games because I really just want to play something with good graphics haha.

Oct 27, 2017
While I don't think Gears Collection would be anything special on console - unless there's something extra cool in the package - seeing Gears 2 and 3 finally make it to PC would be nice.

Also, Gears Judgement in 4k since it never got X enhanced would be nice.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Cool. Would have been more up for a Fable one...mainly so I could replay a shiny Fable 2 on PC but this is still pretty neat. Might be more interested if I hadn't recently replayed all of Gears haha

Gimme a Forza Horizon collection where we fast travel between each map and can choose to carry our vehicles across.
I would love to see FH2 on PC but I don't reckon it'll happen. FH seems like a licensing nightmare.

I would really appreciate this because I have been interested in played the latest Gears but didn't want to play the old games because I really just want to play something with good graphics haha.
2 is rough but have you seen how good Gears 3 looks? Real solid One X enhancements.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Would be amazing to have it all on PC.

The campaigns are rock solid on Series consoles, fine with what we have now but a MCC style multiplayer hopper thing with every map, DLC maps, characters etc from every Gears gameā€¦

Drool

About to sell five hundred million Series S/X in Mexico.
You joke but I still play Gears 5 pretty regularly. At the beginning I could mostly get all english gamertag names and people talking in english in the lobbies. Now it's almost straight Mexico flags and spanish! They love them some Gears in Mexico. And supposedly Brazil?

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see FH2 on PC but I don't reckon it'll happen. FH seems like a licensing nightmare.
They don't necessarily need the exact same car and music list. Obviously as similar as possible would be nice but they could have a mashup which they re-license.

Main thing for me would be having all 5 maps available instantly.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 3 horde on PC is all I want from Microsoft. If they just straight ported that I would leave them alone.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
It's kind of crazy how it is almost exactly mirroring MCC timeline just a gen later.

Previous gen sees a remake of the first in the series. New Gears collection hypothetically remakes the second game in the series in Unreal 5 while porting the entirety of the old games into the collection and starts to release them on PC. Halo 4 releases just before the new console. Gears 5 releases just before the new console. Halo 4 gets put in MCC a few years into next gen. Gears 5 gets put into collection a few years into next gen.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Remember that wild embarrassing minute where someone in marketing decided every collection had to be called like

Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake collection
Borderlands: The Handsome Jack collection.

So cringe.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You joke but I still play Gears 5 pretty regularly. At the beginning I could mostly get all english gamertag names and people talking in english in the lobbies. Now it's almost straight Mexico flags and spanish! They love them some Gears in Mexico. And supposedly Brazil?

Genuinely wasn't joking! You only have to look at the Mexico Xbox Most Played charts.

Updates weekly and Gears 5 is still riding high, above Elden Ring, above FIFA 22, above Destiny 2 etc. Huge in Mexico.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
While I don't think Gears Collection would be anything special on console - unless there's something extra cool in the package - seeing Gears 2 and 3 finally make it to PC would be nice.

Also, Gears Judgement in 4k since it never got X enhanced would be nice.

It could go the MCC route where they update Gears Ultimate Edition, remake 2 significantly (like Halo 2), & update 3 & Judgement to higher settings and tweak some of the lighting. Judgement would look great at 4K even if everything else was left untouched since the art holds up really well in the BC version.

Microsoft probably wanted the whole series on PC for a while now but I'm surprised it took this long. Maybe they've learned from MCC and took their time to ensure higher quality for this collection. Multiplayer will be interesting to see how they implement, I'm guessing it'll be all maps and modes remade into one multiplayer mode although would be cool if they made it available as F2P like Infinite.

It's kind of crazy how it is almost exactly mirroring MCC timeline just a gen later.

Previous gen sees a remake of the first in the series. New Gears collection hypothetically remakes the second game in the series in Unreal 5 while porting the entirety of the old games into the collection and starts to release them on PC. Halo 4 releases just before the new console. Gears 5 releases just before the new console. Halo 4 gets put in MCC a few years into next gen. Gears 5 gets put into collection a few years into next gen.

Yeah it's very similar in that regard. I also hope they add Gears 4, while I know that one had 60fps & 4K modes they never were able to do both. Maybe they can have a version with dynamic resolution and additional graphical flourishes.

Last edited:

CasualMaso

Banned
May 12, 2022
Space
I would take a Gears Collection 100%! I just want them to be top notch updated as far as it can go. Judgement would benefit greatly I would say.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Gears, probably. The first game is in most need of a facelift, but we already have the Ultimate Edition. Gears 2 and 3 still look good!

megamanofnumbers

ā–² Legend ā–²
Banned
Apr 28, 2022
Aw man I can make such a bad 343 joke right now, but I won't.

Looking forward to how full enhancements to the original Gears would look like.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
so the issue I see with a MP suite is the varying ways the games evolved over time. do you put cover cancelling into Gears 1? do you keep the horrible shotgun from Gears 2? do you keep the overpowered loadout weapons from Gears 3?

all this coupled with the fact Gears 5 has struggled with population worries me about a collection.

I think the best thing to do is to bring the iconic maps Epic made (sorry Coalition, you suck as map creation) into Gears 6 day one.

------------------

campaigns? sure, go for it
it would probably be done the same way mcc is every games mp is its own thing and other then some graphics plays the same as it did when it released. you can chose to search all the mps or just a certain game

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I definitely expected gears to happen (Weird it's not all on PC). I'm hoping Fable comes next, even if it's just a port of Fable 2 (Since 1 and 3 are there though 3 needs an update)

Excellent

My secret strategy of letting these two major franchises to sit in my backlog for decades is finally paying off.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Gears does nothing for me and my friends anymore. Hope they do a fable one before the new one comes out.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Only if they bring back the toxicity from Gears 1 lobbies.

The most obscene messages I've ever received

Miss that shit

mrbobman15

Jan 21, 2019
This is me speculating but wouldn't it be great if it was a Gears: Fenix Origins? Make it a highlight reel of the original 3 Gears of War with Unreal Engine 5. Set the game up so that people who've never played Gears can play the Fenix Origins as a way to catch up before Gears 6. They can remove the tedious portions of the original trilogy and recreate the cutscenes and make it more modern to make the franchise more appealing to people who've never played a Gears game.

Ratchet and Clank style remake

Oct 27, 2017
This is me speculating but wouldn't it be great if it was a Gears: Fenix Origins? Make it a highlight reel of the original 3 Gears of War with Unreal Engine 5. Set the game up so that people who've never played Gears can play the Fenix Origins as a way to catch up before Gears 6. They can remove the tedious portions of the original trilogy and recreate the cutscenes and make it more modern to make the franchise more appealing to people who've never played a Gears game.

Ratchet and Clank style remake
I like this idea. The Gears 4 opening is a short version of this only focused on the world rather than the characters.