• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Gears makes sense, I tried to jump in on 3 without playing the original two on the 360 and bounced off it super quick.

So wouldn't mind giving it another chance if it was remastered.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Played through the older games near a year go on Series X, I'm not really sure Gears would need it tbh. It's aged in some parts but still looks and plays fine overall. Would be fine with another franchise.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This seems like such a massive undertaking that is all around unneeded since
A) Gears 1 was recently remastered,
B) Gears 4 and 5 are already optimized for Series X and
C) Gears 3 is still one of the best looking games ever, especially since the One X enhancements
D) Gears 1-3 now all run at 60FPS.

Like aside from adding Ray-tracing to the older games I'm not sure what's left to fiddle around with? Maybe a Judgement One X patch?

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Gears would make sense because of the MP, but i'd still love to see a Mass Effect style remaster for the Fable Trilogy. I don't see how that doesn't happen with MS re-launching the IP w/ Playground's game in a few years.

I'm sure one of their 30-something development studios would love a shot at it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It'd be following the MCC's structure release too with the first game in the franchise having already received a remaster on the previous generation console.

Gears 2 multiplayer running on UE4, using dedicated servers and playing at 4K, 120 FPS would be fucking divine.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
C) Gears 3 is still one of the best looking games ever, especially since the One X enhancements

Like aside from adding Ray-tracing to the older games I'm not sure what's left to fiddle around with? Maybe a Judgement One X patch?
Actual PC versions?

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ha that would be cool. I was thinking I'd like a Gears collection, so that'd be neat.

Strifel

Oct 13, 2021
Just went back and tried Gears 2 and that game has the clunkiest multiplayer. My Gnasher literally shoots at the ground when centred on an enemy and the movement speed is so slow.

Nov 8, 2017

...yeah I'd prefer they go back and get Gears 1 Ultimate tidied up before anything else gets announced. Not optimistic here.

A gears collection which included that might be the only way we do see it patched since then they have incentive to do so.

As an owner, at least I hope that's how it would go...

They basically admitted there weren't enough pc players to fix anything more circa 2015 or early 2016. Winstore only release was a mega flop.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Fable needs it more than Gears, in my opinion.
Hmm. Wonder why you'd have that opini-
49060-o.jpg

oh.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Oh absolutely please Gears of War collection. Bring it all in line with Gears 5 would be a dream. Would have an insane horde mode I imagine too.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Either Gears collection or Fable collection would both be great. However I am hoping more for a Gears collection as my buddy and I have both been wanting to replay thru gears 2+3 but he does not have an Xbox, and only a PC.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
God, Gears 1-4 with Gears 5 visuals? That would be a fantastic stealth drop for this year Microsoft.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Gears then. It's a bit unnecessary since all the games play well and look good on Xbox One / X. Nevertheless the games gameplay wise are real tight so is OK with me.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I guess my argument would be that with all those being separate releases, the fanbase is split between 5 separate games right now, and if you could have a multiplayer hopper where you can just matchmake between Gears 1-5 then maybe you'd have a much larger community playing overall, which would probably benefit everyone still playing any of the GoW games.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
I'd love it just for the campaign alone in one package, heck if they remastered it in UE4/5 that would just be god tier (I mean they have the character assets already built basically...)

RandomError

Oct 27, 2017
Why not both?

I'd love to be able to finally play through both series on PC. No need for anything fancy - just the original games running at a higher resolution and frame rate, please.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
Totally unnecessary given all of the efforts for BC and Series enhancements and really a waste of resources that could be spent on something new.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
That'd be nice, I only played Gears 3 MP so it'd be good to play the campaign at a proper framerate.

Also never did touch Judgment.

Island

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My money is also on a Forza Horizon collection - maybe with cross car compatibility? so you just choose the map you want - lots of music - oh man this sounds amazing

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
A gears collection is exactly the kind of unnecessary release Microsoft would put out. The games have aged well and the one that didn't has already had a remaster. My dream would be a Forza Horizon collection in the FH5 graphics, or the Fable trilogy.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Gears 2 could use a Halo 2 Anniversary treatment.

It's...dated.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Just revisited Gears 1(ult edition) over the holidays on XSX. Holds up spectacularly well. Especially with auto-HDR and other boosts.

Was planning to jump into Gears 2 soon as well, but will wait if this happens.

RandomError

Oct 27, 2017
As long as they don't do what they did with Halo 2 cutscenes…bleh.

Speak for yourself. Halo 2 Anniversaries cutscenes were ridiculously awesome.

Nah, I've got to second FlikBlueLightning here. Blur Studio did fantastic work, but I would have much preferred real-time cutscenes -- especially given how well 343/Saber Interactive captured the Halo 2-but-modern look. Pre-rendered videos just don't age as well, and are jarring next to the in-game graphics.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully it isn't just as broken as MCC at launch.
Something that helps is that some groundwork was laid with Gears 1 Ultimate Edition which probably would've been the most difficult game in the series to remaster both due to its age and the fact that two versions existed but the remastering work has largely already been done there.

Also, all the 360 Gears games run on UE3 and Gears 4 runs on UE4, both very well documented and commonly used versions of the Unreal engine, engines that team has a lot of experience with. Not to mention they can forgo doing the very cool but almost certainly a pain to implement switching between old and new graphics at the click of a button feature thanks to the original version of each game being BC. It's still a huge undertaking but honestly should go much more smoothly for the dev team.

Not to mention that if this thing was a disaster as they neared their planned launch date MS would delay until it was ready. The MS of now is a very different one from the one that launched MCC. An argument could be made that they may be more to blame for MCC launching in the state it did as I have a hard time believing 343 wasn't aware of issues and didn't try to communicate those issues to MS.