• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got deep into sea shanties when Sea of Thieves came out, and of course Black Flag, me and my crew curated a long playlist of shanties to play. I love this new trend lol.

OP
OP
MetalMagus

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
I saw what seemed like a completely random tweet mentioned Mariner's Revenge Song recently, and at least this explains it.

It kind of is.

I remember seeing that come out last year, and Mick Gordon used Mongolian Throat Singing Death Metal in the DOOM Eternal Soundtrack. Maybe 2022 will be the year for throat singing?

Oct 27, 2017
My personal favourite is Barrett's Privateers by Canadian folk icon Stan Rogers (also known for Northwest Passage, Canada's unofficial anthem, already posted):

The Yankee lay low down with gold
(How I wish I was in sherbrooke now!)
She was broad and fat and loose in the stays
But to catch her took the Antelope two whole days
God damn them all!
I was told we'd cruise the seas for American gold
We'd fire no guns-shed no tears
Now I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier
The last of Barrett's Privateers

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Not sure if this counts as a sea shanty, but I want to share it regardless because it's really catchy.

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
Sea Shanties was one of the absolute greatest additions to Black Flag..
I would go around signing shanties for days .... i was way before my time apparently

Dec 4, 2017
He said fetch me old brown trousers, bring'em to me now.
I'll wear them in the rigging as they fire across our bow.
Fetch me old brown trousers, I fear we may be hit!
For even if they shoot me down they'll never see me s- HEAVE HO!

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Randy Dandy Oh, Leave her Johnny and Running Down to Cuba are mint.