• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Unfortunately, I recently had the (dis)pleasure of watching X-men Apocalypse. The one thing I loved was the opening. Really cool soundtracks with some decent shots ..... well until I found out his original name is En Sabah Nur. Sabah Nur actually translates to Good Morning in Arabic; so you can see how that scene where people are worshiping him amid loud cries of GOOD MORNING was hilarious to me and everyone else watching the movie.

Had me wondering if there are other comic book heroes/villains who have ridiculous "foreign" names.

Edit: Slight mistake in the title.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
It's his original name from the comics. Marvel was attempting to name him "The First One" but sort of accidentally translate to "The First Light/The Morning Light" which is where the good morning thing comes from.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Ha, that's great

In Halo, the alien name of the Grunts is Unggoy which is Filipino for monkey. That's gotta be intentional.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
You should suggest a title change to add (X-Men). I knew what this would be about, but I'm sure many won't and won't click.

As for ridiculous foreign names, although it's an authentic name, Akira Yoshida is ridiculous for other reasons.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but have you seen the Arabic tattoo worn by a contestant in Netflix's The Circle?

xFX5P9a_d.jpg

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did someone at Marvel think that because Arabic is spoken in Egypt today that ancient Egyptians spoke Arabic? That's hilarious.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
This makes me curious. Why is it ridiculous?
He's actually the current Editor in Chief at Marvel, named CB Cebulski. Earlier in his career, he was an editor. There was a rule against editors also writing comics, so he created a fake name in order to get around that. He's a white man that took a Japanese name to write Japanese-inspired stories and characters a lot. Not only that, but the comics are bad.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
He's actually the current Editor in Chief at Marvel, named CB Cebulski. Earlier in his career, he was an editor. There was a rule against editors also writing comics, so he created a fake name in order to get around that. He's a white man that took a Japanese name to write Japanese-inspired stories and characters a lot. Not only that, but the comics are bad.

Holy crap, this is some galaxy brain shit.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dude is an ancient Egyptian with an Arabic name and a big fat Latin A on his belt. Frankly he's kind of a mess, conceptually.

Oct 27, 2017
So what part doesn't make sense? Lots of languages have names made out of random words/phrases in that language put together

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude is an ancient Egyptian with an Arabic name and a big fat Latin A on his belt. Frankly he's kind of a mess, conceptually.

Isn't the idea he's had like thousands of names over the ages? I always thought En Sabah Nur was just one of them.

That said nothing beats a Scotsman playing an ancient Egyptian pretending to be a Spaniard.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Also him taking the name "Apocalypse" is a paradox, as the Celestial who tasked him with being their agent said something like, "Greetings Apocalypse, which you will one day call yourself," shortly after he had helped overthrow Kang in ancient Egypt and still went by Nur (or after he and SHIELD beat the Brood, I can't exactly remember - his history is wonderfully convoluted as only comics can be)

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the idea he's had like thousands of names over the ages? I always thought En Sabah Nur was just one of them.

That said nothing beats a Scotsman playing an ancient Egyptian pretending to be a Spaniard.
Yeah, but En Sabah Nur was played as his "true" or original name. Currently, X-Men has him being referred to as just Apocalypse and Excalibur by a name that is a whole different language all together.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
His name doesn't make sense in English either. If you're gonna name yourself Apocalypse, you gotta provide a good Apocalypse.

Thanos does what Apocalypse don't

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
Well the word apocalypse stems from christian tradition. Its original greek meaning is reveal, and it was used in early christianity to point to the time Christ reveals himself at the end of current world. So if you look at it from that perspective "good morning" is not that far fetched as it's supposed to be the beginning of the kingdom of god. But of course the meaning of the word has changed a bit over time centering more on the destruction of the world part.

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
The norwegians localized Dumbledore to Humlesnurr (my best attempt to translate this back to english: Bumblewhizz), as a swede it sounds completely ridiculous and first time I noticed it was in the subtitles during Dumbledore's death. Burst out laughing in the cinema. Just couldn't help myself.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
The norwegians localized Dumbledore to Humlesnurr (my best attempt to translate this back to english: Bumblewhizz), as a swede it sounds completely ridiculous and first time I noticed it was in the subtitles during Dumbledore's death. Burst out laughing in the cinema. Just couldn't help myself.
Dumbledore a pretty funny name in English too though?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Comicbook writers are hilarious when they try to be cute with "ethnic" names. Perfect example Morrison's super young team