• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Hello all,
Season 7 started and while I love most additions the modification to the battle pass is a step backwards.
This is a screen of some of the daily challenges.
b2kg9e7t7gx51.jpg

Now take in you need 10 stars to level up the battlepass. For surviving for 75 minutes you get only 3 out of the 10 to level up the battle pass only once! Some people have said it's taken over 4-5 hours to level up the battle pass to level 3. Take in as well, there is still over 100 levels in the battle pass. Reddit has expressed concern and so has the apex thread here but I wanted to make others aware. This is unacceptable the battle pass system was fine before and this made it much worse and seems like another way to dime you to pay for levels.

If you have any other examples of your challenges post them here.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I was thinking it was taking way longer than before too. I think I only went up one level after two-three hours of play.

Normally, I'd easily hit level 80-85 without seeking out challenges and then do them to finish off the pass. I'd average at least a couple tiers a day. This star system is garbage imo

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
It's getting slower to rank up as more seasons pass.
I used to be able to get really high just playing casually alone.
obviously they want you to play as much as you can with these challenges.
Disgusting? Yes

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Game seems broken honestly. My first match on the new map nobody could hurt each other. Just ran around forever until everyone got bored and slowly quit.

Nice way of exploring the map though!

Edit: I am idiot

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best updates Apex has had, and in my opinion the best Battle Pass CONTENT they've had in awhile. But these battle pass changes are abysmal.

Some of my challenges:
-1250 pistol damage (1 star)
-20 respawns (5 stars)
-Survive 75 minutes (3 stars)

Additionally, they've made it so that you have to earn 100,000 XP just to go up ONE level in the pass. It used to be that you could go up FOUR levels per week with 90,000 xp. And an additional two per week by earning roughly 100,000 xp more.

These are incredibly unfair to the casual player. I played a total of about eight hours since the update dropped, and am just now level six in the pass. Three of those levels came from grinding the weekly challenges that grant you a full level.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Game seems broken honestly. My first match on the new map nobody could hurt each other. Just ran around forever until everyone got bored and slowly quit.

Nice way of exploring the map though!
You queued up for the exploration mode - they intentionally did that so you could explore the new map without worrying about dying. It's a limited time thing

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, that tweet dropped almost as soon as this thread was made. I guess we can all credit OP for Respawn's decision. :p

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
This is not enough. The daily challenges and still absurd and 50k experience for a single level is much higher on average than before.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I knew this new format was going to be trouble, and these changes don't seem like enough. 54k EXP in the old system, without challenges at all, is enough to get 3 BP levels a week. Now 50k EXP is enough for ONE BP level period. That sucks.

I'll wait to see how they make the weekly challenges easier but I'm not optimistic. I loved the BP structure since Season 2 because playing even 50-60 hours in a season is enough (like 5-ish hours a week or less) to get 110 without even REALLY worrying about playing around challenges that much. Shit, I barely played Season 6 (under 300 matches) and I still got to Lvl 94.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I'm hoping this will go like Fortnite did when they tried to make progression incredibly slow, there was backlash, and now they basically hold your hand to the last tier.

CoD's battle pass has always been the worst imo due to the incredibly short season's.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate the quick fix. Definitely a step in the right direction, but still not enough. These daily challenges need to be adjusted in difficulty. They need to be much more achievable and not take up to four hours to complete.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
So they updated the battle pass system to slow progression?

Sounds like an EA game.

not only did they make it grindy, the kneecapped non-ranked with them. Half my games are guys dropping solo to finish dumb crafting, bin-opening, shield-evolving daily challenges instead of playing the game.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
The bigger problem is the challenges no longer give you options to use different legends and weapons to complete them as they did previously. Forcing players to use specific ones to complete the Battle Pass in the name of "encouraging different playstyles" is pretty bad, IMO.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Thats crazy
Apex already had by far the worst battle pass of the big battle royale games

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't seem so bad too me. It should get faster over time as all of the weeklies become available. People are just upset that they can't max out their season pass in 30 days with 90 to spare.

Every previous season, I finished the pass within the first month, and then had no rewards to play for. The changes seek to address that.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like its been this way for a few seasons now, Apex has always been VERY heavy on the cosmetics and FOMO.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
This comment from the Comms Director at Respawn is uhh... quite something. At least they're honest lol.

Response from Dev said:
Reddit poster asking question said:
I'm mostly puzzled as to why you thought the system needed change to begin with. What about the old system was confusing for players? The new UI for tracking challenges is better but everything else about the changes seems designed to make players spend significantly more time per day in order to level the BP.``

Yeah, you raise good points. I'll add a little insight to it based on the conversations I've been having today.

Your point about the UI being better is mainly what we meant when we talked about simplifying things. We feel like stars are just easier to track than a more inflated currency like CP.

And to your point about the Battle Pass driving you to play more, I see the criticism. Like we said in the linked tweet, we've also been wanting to drive up engagement for the full length of the season. Basically, if people finish the Battle Pass too early in the season, it feels bad for them because they don't have anything to focus on.

But to point the obvious criticism at ourselves, though, if it feels like we're just driving up hours played per day to obnoxious levels, that's definitely us failing to meet our goal of making a system that feels fun and engaging for a whole season. That's why we said we feel like we missed the mark with v1. Hope this explanation makes sense.

Jun 26, 2018
Battle passes has always seemed like the most toxic retention grift ever.

If they can get away with fucking you over, they'll do it with glee.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
Was anyone's dailies adjusted in difficulty/easier than the prior two days? For comparison, some of my dailies today:

-Open 50 Supply Bins (1 star)
-8 Kills/Assists (2 stars)
-Evolve Armor 12 Times (3 stars)

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
" 1) Make it engaging for the entire length of the season
2) Encourage you to try out new Legends and playstyles "
Translation:
1. keep people addicted to our free game as long as possible so they buy more cosmetics, levels, etc.
2. Get you to buy other legends

I played the SHIT out of Apex and can never get to level 110 even before this season. It's brutal if you aren't good at the game and laser focused on challenges.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
They probably saw too many people buying the next battlepass with the coins you get and wanted to make it more difficult.