• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hearmebaby

Dec 9, 2018
When I first heard of "Season 1", I thought it would be something competitive with a ranked mode. But it's leveling to lvl 100 all over again, through the base mode. wtf.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
So my guess is Season 1 will include a whole bunch of new cosmetics earnable via loot boxes which aren't in the battle pass. A dev comment alludes to this being the case.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Actually considering not picking up the battle pass. 3 weeks ago I would have jumped on it without a second thought. But I'm slightly burned out on the game and these battle pass rewards are so lackluster that I don't even really see any point in grinding out levels for them. I think I'm going to move on to different games. I enjoyed my 150-200 hours with the game, I gave them 15 bucks for their trouble (for which I got a bunch of shitty common / rare drops from their loot boxes), but I think I'm out until they sort their shit out with season 2.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I mean I'm disappointed, but I can just get EA access for 3 bucks from cdkeys and buy the battle pass from the apex coins I get from that, right? If I'm gonna play the game anyway might as well level the battle pass alongside of it and 3 bucks is close to nothing for a game I play a lot righ now.

edit: nevermind, just saw the offer on cdkeys is just for an xbox membership. rip.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I gotta say that's a bit underwhelming.. but it's pretty much back to basic again..

oh well.. hope next season actually add something of value.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Have they said what the EXP rate will be? I'm close to 50 and that's after 6 weeks of playing a pretty large amount. I can't imagine getting to 100 to be the same as "pre-season" right? That's a loooooot of Apex.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have they said what the EXP rate will be? I'm close to 50 and that's after 6 weeks of playing a pretty large amount. I can't imagine getting to 100 to be the same as "pre-season" right? That's a loooooot of Apex.

I think it´s gonna be the same. They will somehow try to incentivise you to get the 25 level head start, but keep in mind that you have 3 months to do it.

I´ve been 100 for almost a week now.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I think it´s gonna be the same. They will somehow try to incentivise you to get the 25 level head start, but keep in mind that you have 3 months to do it.

That would not be good.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I mean... you do get your investment back when you complete the battle pass so you might as well just get it.

Unlocking brown ugly skins is still > unlocking nothing.

And playing the game > unlocking stuff anyway.
If that isn't enough for someone, then... what's the problem with unlocks?
I get that people want cool shit to unlock, and that'd help, but for me the fundamental is 'do I want to play this', in the feel and flow of the game.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I noticed jump pads appeared on the map last night. Have they always been there and I'm just an idiot that missed them?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They need to learn from Fortnite on how to do some exciting skins. Skins in battle passes should be something on par with the highest tier skins int he game and these look more like recolor's instead (though there's more then that to them). Just nothing as eye catching as I was hoping for out of battle pass skins.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I wouldn't be surprised if they reduced the XP you earn.

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
Their loot and reward system is so fucked and predatory. Its a free to play game. I get it. You need to make money. I think most people want to give respawn money. But their systems are not worth supporting and this battlepass is everything thats wrong with the current system. Its trash
This pretty much sums it up for me, given the base game is very light on content with not even a duo queue, mini games or even a fully functional training mode I don't see why I should hand over any money.

It's such a shame Respawn seem to be letting their grip slip as the base game is truly fantastic but once you reach higher levels you've seen and done it all already plus no rewards/loot.

They are sat on a ton of assets from Titanfall, perhaps bunging out some stop gaps using those would be an idea?

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
This is great.

The emblems at every five levels of the battle pass are complete nonsense. They already have a system in place where emblems are updated automatically. They take up 20% of the whole battle pass which is fucking absurd. But the worst part is that badges are supposed to be something that you show off... you get them for accomplishing something. This badge just tells people that you spent some money and play a lot of Apex Legends. And it won't even be relevant next season. Give us crafting parts or literally anything else instead.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what Fortnite has in their Battlepass, but boy are those some awful skins.

Fortnite has lots of colourful stuff...probably most unique I have seen are the rucksacks/backpacks. They started off as cool looking bags, but now you get animated little pets that live inside the bag. There's a gerbil that runs around in a wheel and I think a little dog or dragon or something.They even do stuff like bark if an enemy is close or do a little dance if you get a kill.

Fortnite also does nested battle passes. You get to 100 to unlock the top tier outfit AND THEN you grind again, using that outfit, to unlock extra colours/layers on it.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
This is great.

The emblems at every five levels of the battle pass are complete nonsense. They already have a system in place where emblems are updated automatically. They take up 20% of the whole battle pass which is fucking absurd. But the worst part is that badges are supposed to be something that you show off... you get them for accomplishing something. This badge just tells people that you spent some money and play a lot of Apex Legends. And it won't even be relevant next season. Give us crafting parts or literally anything else instead.

Over 40% of the original Fortnite Battle Pass was emoticons and banners.

The filler here isn't really the problem, it's the lack of two or three really desirable rewards.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is great.

Agreed. This is a really pitiful showing. I'll do it just because I have no doubt I'll cap and get my coinage back and I owe them at least $10 for the game. But getting crafting materials would really be far more ideal.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of talk about Fortnite but, honestly, the Black Ops 4 'battle pass' is the best I've seen in terms of content and rewards. Of course, that's a $60 game. But the Battle Passes there are free, have a ton of great skins that are actual new character models, not simply textures. New weapons, new premium weapon skins that evolve throughout a match, new emotes, etc. You unlock one tier of the Pass everyday for getting a win or a kill in Blackout. And then there's an XP bar to raise too as is usual with these. No stupid challenges that force team members to play in a certain way that doesn't necessarily help the team. I see some saying 'well it's easier for Fortnite because that's a third person game' but COD does it wonderfully. For me it's the best example of a Battle Pass yet.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
If they had some really cool skins this might be worth it but it doesn't so it's kind of lame. Not really sure if I'll bother right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of talk about Fortnite but, honestly, the Black Ops 4 'battle pass' is the best I've seen in terms of content and rewards. Of course, that's a $60 game. But the Battle Passes there are free, have a ton of great skins that are actual new character models, not simply textures. New weapons, new premium weapon skins that evolve throughout a match, new emotes, etc. You unlock one tier of the Pass everyday for getting a win or a kill in Blackout. And then there's an XP bar to raise too as is usual with these. No stupid challenges that force team members to play in a certain way that doesn't necessarily help the team. I see some saying 'well it's easier for Fortnite because that's a third person game' but COD does it wonderfully. For me it's the best example of a Battle Pass yet.
People generally compare it to Fortnite as that's a Free to Play title as well, as you alluded to. The BP offers very little incentive to purchase though, at least from my view.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't something I like to throw around, because I know there's a lot of unseen thought behind design in general, but these skins aren't interesting. That's a pretty damning criticism from me. I'm buying the pass, but that's due to momentum and goodwill from the game so far. If I were making the decision to buy the pass or not just based on their pitch, I wouldn't put a cent into it.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it known yet whether the battle pass will include ways to progress like completing challenges?

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
After the cool innovations to the actual game, i wish they innovated to the battle pass too. I'll get it, but not exactly determined to get 100.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
This is the first I've heard about how the BlOps 4 Battle Pass works and it sounds infinitely better than what Apex is doing and how I've heard the Fortnite Battle Passes described. Paying for the ability to gain levels or complete challenges and then get rewards based on that is just such a foreign concept for me that it left me really confused when I first learned about it, like that I must have misunderstood some part of it. The Battle Pass being free in BlOps 4 makes it sound superior.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Over 40% of the original Fortnite Battle Pass was emoticons and banners.

The filler here isn't really the problem, it's the lack of two or three really desirable rewards.
I'd take literally anything else as filler. Banners. Voice lines. Crafting material. Even the XP makes for better filler. If they were all different emblems... sure, that would be comparable to Fortnite. But it's literally the same emblem that just gets updated every five levels (when every other emblem in the game gets updated automatically just by playing). An emblem that won't mean anything when the season is over.

Robin Hood

Oct 27, 2017
This. I've played as much as I can with a toddler/work and I'm only level 38. If the XP rate is 1 to 1 with the preseason I'll never be able to max it out. I really hope they lower the rates.

Last edited: