• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Respawn never anticipated that this game would reach any true level of popularity, especially considering their early comments about it to the gaming press and the fact that development was kept secret. Maybe EA told them to savage what they had of Titanfall 3 by converting it to a Battle Royale while telling them that if it wasn't successful the development studio would be shuttered or consolidated into another team.

Thus, when it came out and it was overwhelmingly popular for a few weeks, Respawn was
left kinda flat footed. That's why the only new content until now was the Havoc gun. They then needed to scramble to get this Battle Pass out sooner than intended in order to capitalize on the popularity of the game, which has already dwindled. That would explain the content of the Battle Pass being pretty lackluster. Hopefully with more time to devote to the pass for next season they will improve on the content in all of the passes going forward.

Or I could be completely off base.
I don't think they were left flat-footed. We're talking about a full, clean, playable game that came out a little over a month ago. This isn't some early-access thing that they're dribbling out MVP features for. People's expectations around update schedules for games are absolutely nuts. We got an entirely new gun in the first month after this game came out and are getting at least one legend in the month following—even that is above and beyond for a new, fully-featured game.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
As a Havoc user, that and the Apex packs are the things I am happy about being in the Battle Pass.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Man expectations were super high. Even though I think it could be better I'm glad they're focusing on characters and gunplay and new options. Would buy it to support them regardless and I'm sure y the game will only get better. Don't forget that this thing is pretty ridiculously and unexpectedly successful.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
If it had some fun emotes I'd probably get it, even though my Apex playtime is basically nothing these days. Gun skins just doesn't move the needle for me at all.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people comparing the Apex Legends BP with the Fornite BP from season 1? If you release a new GaaS / BR in this day and age then you gotta come out guns blazing with the costumization and progression. Fortnite started the BP craze and then they evolved it over time into the great value it is now. Apex simply doesn't have that luxury.

A look into the future: The next BR comes out and then people will jump on that if it's the hottest thing on the market. Apex gotta keep the players engaged through meaningful progression and customization from Day 1. That's how it works nowadays, there's no more excuses for playing it slow. You have the playerbase, you keep it engaged week after week. I don't see that in Apex yet.

This next bit is purely anecdotal, but the friend group I was playing with (5+ people) have all gone back to Fortnite and other MP games citing the meaningless progression, rampant cheating and infrequent updates as main causes of abandoning the game. I also left it for Division 2, but was hoping the BP might get me to play again. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay itself is very good, but the stuff surrounding it makes it feel stale after a while.

And now a hot take: Apex will have big, big problems with player retention if they dont step up the communication, frequency of gameplay updates and quality of further customization options asap.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I'm 100% fucking getting the Battle Pass to support Respawn for making a ridiculously good game. Might even double dip and get the BP bundle. I haven't spent a dime on this game and already sunk waayyy to many hours in.

Cannot wait for some Octane tomorrow.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think they were left flat-footed. We're talking about a full, clean, playable game that came out a little over a month ago. This isn't some early-access thing that they're dribbling out MVP features for. People's expectations around update schedules for games are absolutely nuts. We got an entirely new gun in the first month after this game came out and are getting at least one legend in the month following—even that is above and beyond for a new, fully-featured game.

Agreed. It's a fucking free game and they're offering a Battle Pass for the cost of a lunch. Don't like what you see? Don't get the Battle Pass! Simple fuckin' concept.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I have been fully on board with the Havoc for a while.

The best is finding a turbo charger and select fire (w/ a 2-4x or 4-8x scope) and being able to use it in whatever situation. I like the hit scan when using select fire as well, I seem to hit a lot more of my shots than I would with something like the Wingman.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Really disappointed in this to be honest.

Not just in terms of the quality of the skins on offer (which are uninspiring) - but I was hoping they'd announce changes to the current reward system too. The lack of Apex Packs for levelling up past a certain point is awful.

From the makers of Call of Duty 4, I expected much more from their progression / levelling system.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
eh, maybe people were expecting too much from the first battlepass. have people forgot what fortnite's first battlepass was like?

Reminder, this is the quality of skins from the first (proper) Fortnite battlepass for comparison.

$

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. It's a fucking free game and they're offering a Battle Pass for the cost of a lunch. Don't like what you see? Don't get the Battle Pass! Simple fuckin' concept.

You seem angry about this. I mean, I think that's the general concept...people won't buy if they don't like it. But that doesn't mean people aren't entitled to an opinion about the quality of the battle pass content.

And it's not like EA and Respawn are some kind of charity here. Obviously it's free because they hope to make fistfuls of money off of it with the cosmetics content. I mean, just because the game is free shouldn't mean that it is impervious to criticism about the content people were looking forward to. Personally I don't think the pass is horrible, but it's just kinda middle of the road.

For the record I love Respawn to death.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Wait, I see an Octane skin in the OP but not on the EA website; it shows a Gib voice line as the Rank 48 reward instead. Are the 3 skins at Rank 1 really the ONLY character skins in the whole pass? Yikes. I still love the game so I might get it, but man this is a let down. I'm guessing this is the result of all the demand and expectation for the Battle Pass to launch ASAP. Though, to be fair, the Battle Pass launching March was on the roadmap when the game released so who knows if this is really what they had in mind.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are forgetting that the first fortnite had a bunch of shitty stickers in it and there were only a handful of skins that were good.

Oct 28, 2017
This is still better than the skins we're getting? And they're not competing against 2017 fortnite. This is a ridiculous point

You make a good point, Battle Passes are now an established content delivery system. When Fortnite released their first pass, there was less to compare it to. Now the bar is set a bit higher as to what people expect to get out of these passes.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
I'm baffled. If you are reading this respawn, this is pathetic and you should be ashamed. I almost don't want to buy it because it doesn't deserve my money.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Apex might be the first F2P game that I've played that theres not a single skin/cosmetic thats even remotely interesting to me. For a game that's suppose to survive from cosmetics that's a big miss. I wanna give them money but they can't have it both ways where I buy shit items just to support them. Either do a regular game at $ price, or do a F2P game with cosmetics worth buying.

Reminder, this is the quality of skins from the first (proper) Fortnite battlepass for comparison.

and somehow they're still better.

Last edited:

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
You seem angry about this. I mean, I think that's the general concept...people won't buy if they don't like it. But that doesn't mean people aren't entitled to an opinion about the quality of the battle pass content.

And it's not like EA and Respawn are some kind of charity here. Obviously it's free because they hope to make fistfuls of money off of it with the cosmetics content. I mean, just because the game is free shouldn't mean that it is impervious to criticism about the content people were looking forward to. Personally I don't think the pass is horrible, but it's just kinda middle of the road.

For the record I love Respawn to death.

I'm not upset. I just like cursing. :)

I would be totally on board with everyone complaining about the BP if we were discussing Destiny and this was a $30 expansion on top of a $60 game. I would call bullshit too. But I personally don't understand the logic behind many people here saying the game is doomed or "they really needed to nail this" for the game to be alive and successful. The game is going to do just fine because Respawn made an awesome, F2P game that plays BETTER than most $60 offerings on the market. Do I think the BP quality is amazing? Nope. But it's their first one and they will ofcourse see all this negative feedback and tweak it on the next one. We're getting a new Legend too and I'm guessing there will be mode tweaks coming in the next few weeks.

Edit: I also want to add as someone who makes content for a living (music not games) that the devs do read these comments people are posting and some of them worked their ASSES off on this BP and content only to be shitted on is something I feel for them on. People can constructively criticize but don't get nasty about it.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are forgetting that the first fortnite had a bunch of shitty stickers in it and there were only a handful of skins that were good.
I don't personally care about a good or bad battlepass but Apex is competing with current Fortnite. Hell, even Fortnite's second BP had more cool shit to earn and that was pretty much last year.

The game doesn't even have duos and they haven't even fixed the crashes or smoke cheats + aimbotters.

I thought the least they could do is offer a decent BP.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Taking a look at it, nah, I'm good. Game is a lot more fun than any other BR for me but I don't play it enough to want to spend money for this one.

Oct 28, 2017

I would be totally on board with everyone complaining about the BP if we were discussing Destiny and this was a $30 expansion on top of a $60 game. I would call bullshit too. But I personally don't understand the logic behind many people here saying the game is doomed or "they really needed to nail this" for the game to be alive and successful. The game is going to do just fine because Respawn made an awesome, F2P game that plays BETTER than most $60 offerings on the market. Do I think the BP quality is amazing? Nope. But it's their first one and they will ofcourse see all this negative feedback and tweak it on the next one. We're getting a new Legend too and I'm guessing there will be mode tweaks coming in the next few weeks.

Edit: I also want to add as someone who makes content for a living (music not games) that the devs do read these comments people are posting and some of them worked their ASSES off on this BP and content only to be shitted on is something I feel for them on. People can constructively criticize but don't get nasty about it.

Fair enough, cursing can be an art form. I agree, the quality of the game is outstanding. Other than playing a bit of Fortnite with my son at his request, I never imagined I would play another Battle Royale game. Even when info leaked about Respawn making one I was skeptical at first and just disappointed that it wasn't Titanfall 3. Or even a free Titanfall Battle Royale. I was wrong; I enjoy the hell out of Apex. However for me, the current state of the game is starting to get a bit stale. I guess I'm spoiled.

I wasn't so much looking forward to the Battle Pass, but I was hoping that along with it they would reveal more free content and quality of life adjustments. I still have high hopes that down the line they will really nail future content and Battle Passes.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, kinda disappointed after such a wait. Not really sure if I want to get this now

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Nope. They need to nail this 120% now, look at the twitch numbers! Obviously people at Respawn have no idea what they are doing and just intentionally put out this lackluster BP to hurt us as fans of the game. They are going to ignore this criticism same way they ignored our beefs about the Wingman and the hitboxes, and if we don't rise up now they won't have a clue . They just fucking owe me for the hours of fun I had for free; I only invested this time because I thought the Season 1 content was going to make me forget the pain and joylessness in my life, and now that it's 'meh', I am so conditioned in my GaaS training that I am whining to our corporate overlords to give me DLC that has no impact in the game or else it's over...ill take my games as hobby killing consumerist ways elsewhere and spend that sweet BP money on a game that respects me as a gamer.

Don't mess with me, Respawn!

SoulShimmer

Jan 22, 2018
I'll buy the BP to support the devs because this game is incredible. Just won't be grinding as hardcore as I thought, the awards are pretty ho-hum

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Fair enough, cursing can be an art form. I agree, the quality of the game is outstanding. Other than playing a bit of Fortnite with my son at his request, I never imagined I would play another Battle Royale game. Even when info leaked about Respawn making one I was skeptical at first and just disappointed that it wasn't Titanfall 3. Or even a free Titanfall Battle Royale. I was wrong; I enjoy the hell out of Apex. However for me, the current state of the game is starting to get a bit stale. I guess I'm spoiled.

I wasn't so much looking forward to the Battle Pass, but I was hoping that along with it they would reveal more free content and quality of life adjustments. I still have high hopes that down the line they will really nail future content and Battle Passes.

I totally hear you. I'd like to hear more about their plans for new BR modes and QOL changes to help spice things up a bit. But then again, I'm just now hitting my stride with Apex at Level 81. Unlike Titanfall 1, which was instant love at first sight for me, Apex grew on me over the last 5 weeks and now I'm just full blown in "honeymoon" mode with the game. So the BP is just icing on the cake for me and plenty good enough reason to give them some $$$$ to support them.

browinie

Oct 26, 2017

So what if it's a "fucking free game"? Attempting to dismiss opinions regarding the quality of this battle pass with this lame anti-discussion rhetoric is getting boring. I think we're also very self-aware on how we intend to spend our money where we see value. The game might be free but some have already spent money before this battle pass including myself more than the cost of fully priced retail releases. The point I'm making here is that a ftp game doesn't necessarily mean we have to reduce our expectations or standards with content we wish to purchase. You make it seem as if we should be grateful that this battle pass even exists when it's the complete opposite.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Nope. They need to nail this 120% now, look at the twitch numbers! Obviously people at Respawn have no idea what they are doing and just intentionally put out this lackluster BP to hurt us as fans of the game. They are going to ignore this criticism same way they ignored our beefs about the Wingman and the hitboxes, and if we don't rise up now they won't have a clue . They just fucking owe me for the hours of fun I had for free; I only invested this time because I thought the Season 1 content was going to make me forget the pain and joylessness in my life, and now that it's 'meh', I am so conditioned in my GaaS training that I am whining to our corporate overlords to give me DLC that has no impact in the game or else it's over...ill take my games as hobby killing consumerist ways elsewhere and spend that sweet BP money on a game that respects me as a gamer.

Don't mess with me, Respawn!
Y'all really need to chill and come to terms with the fact that people have the right to be disappointed.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I don't personally care about a good or bad battlepass but Apex is competing with current Fortnite. Hell, even Fortnite's second BP had more cool shit to earn and that was pretty much last year.

The game doesn't even have duos and they haven't even fixed the crashes or smoke cheats + aimbotters.

I thought the least they could do is offer a decent BP.
I get that completely, but stillll... it's only been a little over a month since release. Is there any room for acceptance about development time?

The first month of this year we didn't even know this game existed. Haha.

Y'all really need to chill and come to terms with the fact that people have the right to be disappointed.

Totally agree though. It's also good for the devs to know what everyone wants out of these things going forward.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what people were expecting. This isn't Fortnite where I can get a clown suit or power armour or deep sea diver outfit or a dance emote. The game simply doesn't have that vibe.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the good thing is that if you already play/want to grind it out regardless they at least went the right route of being able to earn even more back than what you spent.

With that said, this isn't enticing me to get the pass or play at all. I wanted some cool new skins/something to make me want to jump in. There's too much trash that's no better than the equivalent of Fortnites sprays. Too much filler garbage.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It probably didn't help that all people have been talking about is wanting a battle pass, it looks pretty underwhelming but if they were wanting more time to make sure it was providing a decent amount of quality cosmetics a large part of the vocal community didn't exactly seem willing to give them time to do that. Most of the cosmetics in the game are pretty boring though, the battle pass just provides more of the same and the ability to get some of those through ranking up instead of the loot box lottery.