• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1095138036688535552?s=21

First noticed here on Era.

As discovered this past weekend on Reddit and video game forum Resetera, it looks like Titanfall 2's numbers got a huge jump over the weekend. Whether it's players new to the series wanting to check out the old game or fans remembering why they liked it in the first place, multiplayer appears to be hopping in a way it previously was not prior to Apex Legends' release.

Awesome news. Game is massivley underappreciated. There's nothing like it (including Apex) and I highly recommend spending some time with it. It takes a bit to learn, but once you do it's some of the most fun you can have gaming.

Also, the campaign is fantastic too.

Mike Rambo

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Playing apex like really just made me want to play titanfall 2 again instead and it's all I've been playing since the day apex came out. Whoops?

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Bought TF2 after Apex came out and I didn't even play Apex. Just reminded me that TF2 was supposed to have a kick-ass campaign, and it does.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish it would get people back into TF1, it's much better.

I'd be afraid to hop back in to MP though, I'd start wanting the wall run and bunny hop in Apex.

Cheeseburgla

Oct 27, 2017
It's in my top 10 favorite games ever. I still play MP at least a few matches per week. I think I'm one of the few who prefers it to TF1. I'm glad to have more people playing it!

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Titanfall 2's campaign opens with a melodramatic Starship Troopers-esque video praising "Pilots" as the ultimate badasses. Having not played TF1, I thought it was rather silly. But by the end of the campaign, I became that Pilot, and it was glorious.

And then you pop into multiplayer and see a dozen Pilots flying across the map like parkour Jedi and stomping around in their Titans.

I guess what I'm saying is, "It's alright."

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I remember loading up Titanfall 1 on PC before 2 came out and there were literally 15 people online. I was so upset. Then like a month after 2 came out, it'd take me forever to find a match. I'm happy that Respawn is finally getting recognition. The Titanfall games are probably my favorite FPS games this gen.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't agree TF2 is just more varied while TF1 is just basically run AR and base titan and profit.
In actuality TF 1 is far more varied than 2. Especially when it comes to titans. Same with maps. Actually TF1 is the sequel to 2 in almost every way, with 2 just flat out nerfing nearly everything that was good in TF1.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I still hope tf3 is more like tf1 and is a big success off of apex

Tf1's presentation value in mp always felt so magical and special to me

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wish it would get people back into TF1, it's much better.
I replayed a bit of both games last week, and I can't say I agree, at least not for my own personal tastes. The movement speed is way too slow for my own liking, and everything in general just feels better to me in the second game.

That said, it isn't bad. Far from it. I think it just comes down to a matter of preference.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Real rap I booted up TF2 on my ps4 so I could pull what my sensitivity settings were and put them into Apex without all the finagling.

OP
OP
BigTnaples

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
In actuality TF 1 is far more varied than 2. Especially when it comes to titans. Same with maps. Actually TF1 is the sequel to 2 in almost every way, with 2 just flat out nerfing nearly everything that was good in TF1.

Not at all.

I initially felt this way, after playing the TF2 beta. I made threads bashing it, expressing my disappointment, etc.

Then I spent time playing the full game. And although some elements aren't as great, like AI in Multi and Presntaion in multi, the game is fucking fantastic. I have TF1 on PC and XB1 and TF2 on all platforms, but when I want some Titanfall, I always boot up 2.

It got a bad rap from the beta but the final game is absolute gaming bliss.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
TF2's single player mode has been on my backlog for ages.

This year I'm trying to work through my backlog rather than buy any new games, so I'll probably get to it soon.

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Apex Legends mostly made me want to get back into TF2 too. Now would be a great time for a PC sale.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Can't agree TF2 is just more varied while TF1 is just basically run AR and base titan and profit.
Titans were way better in TF1 and the maps were way better too.

Way more maps as well since they had paid DLC (even though becasue of that reason, nobody played them).

Only thing I'll give you is that TF2 had a little bit better mobility due to the grappling hook.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
I'm really glad that Titanfall 2 is getting the attention it deserves. The campaign alone was one of the greatest campaigns I played

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The mp in tf2 is One of the best ever, jumped in again yesterday and now i am reading this, i hope there Will be a tf3 that gets the attention it deserves.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Reinstalled it last night and have been playing it today. There are a lot of new players. I've had no trouble finding games.

I urge anybody on the fence to give it a shot.

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Just bought the game after having a lot of fun with apex over the last week. Was always interested in the highly praised single player campaign.

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
Reinstalling now after a year… Finished the campaign and never touched mp. Lets see how it is.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
Love seeing all these Titanfall (2) appreciation threads, lately. I'm having a lot of fun with Apex, but I love Titanfall 2.

I hope we get a proper TF3 for next gen.

"Standby for Titanfall... 3."

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also tried Apex and enjoyed the controls etc (but not interest in battle royale games really..)

Reinstalled Titanfall 2 and started playing the Frontier defense mode. Really fun stuff

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Titans were way better in TF1 and the maps were way better too.

Way more maps as well since they had paid DLC (even though becasue of that reason, nobody played them).

Only thing I'll give you is that TF2 had a little bit better mobility due to the grappling hook.
I raged against the Titan changes in 2 at release, but quickly changed my tune. They're not as customizable individually, but turning out a half-dozen "hero" Titans ultimately helps the game massively. Each plays very distinctively and Titan v. Titan fights contain much more nuance and strategy, I think.

As for enhanced movement, I went back to TF1 over the weekend and: did that game not have the kneeslide?!

Anyway, I love TF1 and there's definitely things done better (grunts, relative player visibility to AI) but overall I think they made an improved game with 2.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do so many people like the first game more?

Also definitely see them releasing a character in Apex that can wall run.

Way better titan vs titan combat thanks to shields, which makes the gameplay way more tactical.

More depth to the titan classes, since you can literally create anything you want.

Better titan vs pilot gameplay, especially since they removed rodeo and replaced it with that dumb battery stealing shit.

Infinitely better maps. It's telling that the only really good TF2 maps are the TF1 maps they brought back.

TF2 does a couple things better. It has the grappling hook, it has Titan Brawl, and it has more unlocks to keep people who need to chase that carrot interested.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Titanfall 2's campaign opens with a melodramatic Starship Troopers-esque video praising "Pilots" as the ultimate badasses. Having not played TF1, I thought it was rather silly. But by the end of the campaign, I became that Pilot, and it was glorious.

And then you pop into multiplayer and see a dozen Pilots flying across the map like parkour Jedi and stomping around in their Titans.

I guess what I'm saying is, "It's alright."
Pilots are the Jedi/Sith of the Titanfall universe.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
God, they just completely ruined Titans in 2. I honestly couldn't play the MP for more than a few hours, it was that much worse.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I raged against the Titan changes in 2 at release, but quickly changed my tune. They're not as customizable individually, but turning out a half-dozen "hero" Titans ultimately helps the game massively. Each plays very distinctively and Titan v. Titan fights contain much more nuance and strategy, I think.

As for enhanced movement, I went back to TF1 over the weekend and: did that game not have the kneeslide?!

Anyway, I love TF1 and there's definitely things done better (grunts, relative player visibility to AI) but overall I think they made an improved game with 2.
Eh, I think at the end of the day it's just a matter of preference of what you wanted out of Titanfall.

The mobility is different from TF2 but the maps suited that in many ways to make up for it. Also even though Titan v. Titan fights are more varied, they don't feel as engaging to me and they last for such a short time due to how fast your Titan can get taken out. Also like I said I feel the maps in TF1 are a lot better and suited the mobility a little more than TF2.

I love both games but I just tend to like TF1 a bit more.

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
Played 4-5 matches and it feels really solid. Progression design, movement, shooting/combat/ttk and visuals are all top notch. Matchmaking takes 30-45 seconds which is ok for me as long as it is < 1 min.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
It is on my list to buy digitally next time it is on sale. I played it a ton when it first came out for about 6+ months and sold it later.

Would still really love Titanfall 3 even though I am loving Apex.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even though Titanfall 2 added a lot of great features. Titanfall's MP was the better experience.

Better maps and all Titans could use any weapon to suit your play style instead of it being class based.

Don't get me wrong, Titanfall 2's MP is amazing (even though the beta was terrible), but just the maps alone in Titanfall made it a lot more fun.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
keikaku.jpg

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. I'll jump back into TF2, you got me.
Glad that I never uninstalled it (despite 500GB PS4) because I just want to make sure that I could play it whenever I want to.