• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I can't believe EA let some random people hack the entire game. I hope they fix Titanfall and their fucking security.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Wasnt Valo the one with the kernel level anti-cheat that everyone complained about
Honestly that whole saga's a bit funny because if you play a game that has Easy Anti-Cheat (Apex itself, Fortnite, For Honor Gears 5, Hell Let Loose, etc) or BattleEye (Rainbow Six Siege, PUBG, Escape from Tarkov)

those are also kernel level anti-cheats, they just wait until a relevant game launches to officially start as far as I'm aware in terms of actual differences.

They just have way better marketing so Apex didn't have to go through the saga of "this EA game wants you to install a kernel level anti-cheat" like Riot did.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People can't see how this action is just ethically fucked up on the premise alone, let alone how it tangibly affects people, not even talking about "being unable to play Apex" people because it's not about the game and people being unable to "play", but what it means to do something like this/how it actually impacts people/developers.

I agree with people who think it's fucked up that Titanfall is basically borked by hackers and that they are still selling it for money. I get it. It does suck. But it doesn't justify this and nothing can justify this, no matter how much people think they can.

And I love Titanfall 1. I think it's Respawns best game to this day and that it really is a shame that it's in the state it's in. But I do think it's more fucked up to think that this is somehow a good thing, on any level.

Yes, and that's what this is. That's why I find it hilarious that people are saying "protest", when that IS what it is, but it's actually terrorism because it is materially affecting people directly and indirectly, is intended to send a message, and is assuredly making for a terrible time for a number of people.

Terrorism isn't limited to just "things I see in media and imagine in my head" and religious/ideological extremists though. I don't give a fuck what people in this thread try to say. Terrorism straight up is as simple as any malicious act intended to send a message, inducing fear. Like, that's what it is. That's what this is.

I'm dipping out of this thread, cause lol, clearly some people think this shit's OK and good for them. But I really don't ever want to hear what those people ever have to say/think about anything so there's no reason in sticking around, laboring over this point.

Either you think this shit's incredibly fucked up and unjustifiable, or you don't. And there's a ton of people in this thread who are the latter.
You deserve a tag for this one. Fucking terrorism. Genius!

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
So is this going to be hacked every day? I'm guessing this will happened at least weekly until Titanfall if fixed and will probably happen to all EA games?

Just want to know if Apex is going to be unplayable or what the next steps the hackers will take (because we know that EA will not do anything to fix anything with Titanfall)

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing this will happened at least weekly until Titanfall if fixed and will probably happen to all EA games?
Unlikely. Titanfall 1 + 2 and ApexLegends use the Source Engine from Valve. No other game from EA is running on that engine.
Also the exploit used in TF1/2 is an old exploit that got fixed for the Source Engine a while ago. No idea why Respawn isn't applying that fix.

Move on from offsite drama

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
Please move on from any kind of offsite drama over member posts. Report posts if you find them in breach of the TOS, but do not engage in this kind of amateur sleuthing. Do not continue this derail. Thanks.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Unlikely. Titanfall 1 + 2 and ApexLegends use the Source Engine from Valve. No other game from EA is running on that engine.
Also the exploit used in TF1/2 is an old exploit that got fixed for the Source Engine a while ago. No idea why Respawn isn't applying that fix.

This is what is so mindboggling. Hackers have gone in and said "hey look, this is the thing that's being exploited and here's how he's doing it because of this really baffling oversight. This needs to be fixed client side. Please release a patch."

And Respawn's like, "well, we did try some things. Some server backend...stuff. Ya know. Things."

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But this was a good thing for the hackers because the devs are lazy and they already had enough on call to handle these things, right? At least that's what some people here ITT said 🙄

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But this was a good thing for the hackers because the devs are lazy and they already had enough on call to handle these things, right? At least that's what some people here ITT said 🙄

So they're aware they've been selling for years a game that cannot be played.
So cool.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Just bumping this because every platform is down now for titanfall 2. Before you could've hopped on PS4 or xbox but nope, every platform is unplayable.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

That's what's so weird. There was that guy earlier from Respawn who insisted they had tried to do things about it.

Like, my guy, no you didn't. Trying some things server side doesn't count. We all know what the exploit is, and how it works. You haven't released any client side updates to fix it. So no, you didn't try do anything, because whatever you bothered to do was never in the realm of something that could have fixed it.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017

JTDailyUpdate

Nov 1, 2017
Here is the youtube video linked in the reddit article.

And boy it is even crazier than what the reddit post outlines.

Last edited:

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i don't have sympathy for anyone involved except for the affected apex legends/titanfall players. it's shitty when you want to play a game but DDOS attacks stop you from doing it.

the hackers are obviously lowlifes.
respawn also shares a lot of the blame for neglecting titanfall to the point that it has been literally unplayable for years because hackers prevent you from joining any games. when apex legends got hacked it was up and running within a few days, at least. the same can't be said for titanfall.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
While the information is interesting and arguably true in this specific case, I'm not a fan of that Upper Echelon Gaming channel at all. It feels very alt right/pro gamer gate and reactionary imo and its one of the youtube channels I had blocked via an extension prior to this. Just saying.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
While the information is interesting and arguably true in this specific case, I'm not a fan of that Upper Echelon Gaming channel at all. It feels very alt right/pro gamer gate and reactionary imo and its one of the youtube channels I had blocked via an extension prior to this. Just saying.
What is that extension? There are days where I get absolute trash on my YT recommendations and I can't find a way to stop them from showing up.

And yeah, that channel is pure ass.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
What is that extension? There are days where I get absolute trash on my YT recommendations and I can't find a way to stop them from showing up.

And yeah, that channel is pure ass.
I use to use a different one but that one went away so know I use blocktube. Seems to get the job done. And yeah the YouTube algorithm is awful. It very aggressively pushes right wing propaganda.